The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Justin Falk was put on waivers by Buffalo. I think we should claim him just for the play-by-play possibilities: Falk to Faulk to Frk . . . he scores!!!

I've wished for the Faulk-Falk D combination for a while. It would work, too - Faulk shoots right, Falk left.

I think the nick-naming could be hilarious. They could call Faulk "Hey, U!" and Falk "No U!" :lol::rolleyes:

Just now, rocheccw said:

Sorry, Thought I read it was the ELC, but it must have been the first two years that qualified for exempt.

It's all good, it gave me an excuse to find that link again.

Was listening to Boomer Gordon and Scott Laughlin's Eastern conference previews on SXM.

Carolina youngest team...   same story as every year... can they score?  Analytics say that they do a lot of the right things, and law of averages say that they should score more with their possession and control of the game.

But in the end, someone has to put the puck in the net.  Aho may help.

And that was about it.  Was short and sweet.  And likely accurate.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

If he played in the NHL in 2014-15 and 2015-16 but not 2016-17, does that make him a 'second-year professional'?  I guess that's what it comes down to.

I did not put that smiley in there; i copied that straight from the NHL site.  Their smiley, i s'pose...

edit 2 - oh, got it - it's a b followed by a )... this forum must automatically make it a smiley...

I have a feeling (not sure what the details of the expansion draft rules are, though) it's going to be that, once a player signs an NHL SPC and ages out of juniors, all games will count toward determining if he's a second- or third-year professional. Not sure about KHL or European league games, though.

16 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Was listening to Boomer Gordon and Scott Laughlin's Eastern conference previews on SXM.

Carolina youngest team...   same story as every year... can they score?  Analytics say that they do a lot of the right things, and law of averages say that they should score more with their possession and control of the game.

Heard that as well.  Boomer wants to believe.  He likes Canes fans.  I hope the team doesn't let him down.

NHL-Network is doing their Eastern Conference Preview this evening.

It must be the air in Arizona but since Klas Dahlbeck has signed with Carolina he has grown an inch and put on 17 pounds. He is now listed at 6'3 207 pounds. The positives are that he averaged over 14 minutes per game last year and is touted as a very solid positional defensive player. He is not a scorer but neither was Murphy who has totaled 6 goals for the Hurricanes. Dahlbeck spells Murphy plus more.

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

It must be the air in Arizona but since Klas Dahlbeck has signed with Carolina he has grown an inch and put on 17 pounds. He is now listed at 6'3 207 pounds. The positives are that he averaged over 14 minutes per game last year and is touted as a very solid positional defensive player. He is not a scorer but neither was Murphy who has totaled 6 goals for the Hurricanes. Dahlbeck spells Murphy plus more.

Seems to me he is exactly what we are looking for.  A positionaly sound d man.  Can he skate though?

So we really shored up our bottom depth. Frk sounds like an intriguing upside guy who put up points in the AHL, Bickell might go to the net. Stalberg  should be able to keep up add some grit and maybe score a bit. PDG will be fast and has lots of upside. And McClemment? Well he's a center. I think personally that PDG is the best of that lot, and with the biggest upside, but if Frk can score, that it what we need. It will be interesting to see who dresses Thursday.

We have also added depth on D. With Murphy out we needed at least one of those guys, and being a RHD, I would think ultimately Nakladal might end up with the inside track to that last spot. But it is interesting that McKeown is the yute still standing. Might have been partly due to being the RHD guy, but apparently he's been very solid. Adding this depth at D is good not only due to injury concerns, but with three guys facing the dreaded sophomore slump also.

I wonder if McKeown gets in any games before Nakladal arrives.

I really like our depth. None of our hopeful yutes outside of Aho have pushed through, and that is not bad. Fleury, Bean, probably McKeown, Zykov, Sareela, Poturalski, Tolchinsky, Gauthier et all are all sent to keep developing and keep trying to force their way onto this team at some point in the future.

So the depth is very much there for now, and the future. To me the questions are: who steps up and seriously produces in the top 9, and what kind of goaltending do we get.

If we get top end scoring from at least a couple of guys, and at least average NHL goaltending, I like our chances.

Edited by remkin

59 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I heard it too. It was pretty quick. Somehow I got a more questioning, whistful feel from it. Almost like, "until someone starts putting the puck in the net it will be more of the same".  Still, I agree that Boomer likes the team. He has in longer segments suggested that our points increase was impressive, and wants to think we have a shot.

I have been on about elite forwards. You have to have at least one and really two to be a cup contender. But you don't have to have them to make the playoffs. Not sure if we have them or not. J and Skinner are close. If any of Lindy, Aho, TT or Rask can really step up, we would have enough.

We have the depth, both up front and on the blueline.

I just have this sense that a young team, free from whatever negative effect the whole E. Staal thing might have had, and free to buy in 100% to the coach and the system, playing fast, and with high energy, will be right there. And if a few guys can bury a few shots, we'll be there.

Edited by remkin

With the ridiculous wealth in young defensemen that GMRF now has added to, could a trade be in the works for a forward somehow? If not now, he's going to be dealing from a position of strength at the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, super_dave_1 said:

With the ridiculous wealth in young defensemen that GMRF now has added to, could a trade be in the works for a forward somehow? If not now, he's going to be dealing from a position of strength at the trade deadline.

I wonder about that when Murphy comes back. (Could be Murphy that gets traded).

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

I've wished for the Faulk-Falk D combination for a while. It would work, too - Faulk shoots right, Falk left.

I think the nick-naming could be hilarious. They could call Faulk "Hey, U!" and Falk "No U!" :lol::rolleyes:

That would be an Abbott and Costello reboot in the making.  But I've got to go with "Faulk U" and "no Falk U".

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

I wonder about that when Murphy comes back. (Could be Murphy that gets traded).

Is Murphy worth anything more than a waiver pick up at this point?   I'd bet he clears if reassigned.  It's late in the game, and rosters are set.

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Is Murphy worth anything more than a waiver pick up at this point?   I'd bet he clears if reassigned.  It's late in the game, and rosters are set.

I still say he looked good enough last season pre-concussion, but he suffered the misfortune of not only that concussion but now a lower-body injury that caused RF to bring in someone else to fill not only the #6 spot, but the expansion draft variable.  When he does return he's going to have to be absolutely flawless or he'll be an AHLer for life.  And that's presuming he isn't traded or picked up off of waivers first.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

not really.  I don't think the league see's value in him unless he turns things around.  I questioned that pick from the get go and I think it was wishful thinking due to how Skinner panned out from the same system . 

Some good stuff from Peters and RF but Peters literally just said "I like our group" lol.:lol:

RF: slipped that it's Murphy's knee.

BP: Nesty probably not 100% yet

Nesty already has Frk vacuuming and doing the dishes at his house, lol.

RF: great team chemistry.  Canes have passed on some very good players cause they didn't fit the team culture.

BP: no "C" this year, avoids pressure on any 1 player. Staal, Faulk with A's, Skinner and Rask share the other A (Skinner home, Rask away)  [I like it!]

BP: huge to play d-men on their natural side

RF: players not tuned into analytics very much

Edited by LakeLivin

30 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I still say he looked good enough last season pre-concussion, but he suffered the misfortune of not only that concussion but now a lower-body injury that caused RF to bring in someone else to fill not only the #6 spot, but the expansion draft variable.  When he does return he's going to have to be absolutely flawless or he'll be an AHLer for life.  And that's presuming he isn't traded or picked up off of waivers first.

I'm not sure he will ever make it back with recovery to even have an opportunity to be an option on the roster.  Things move fast and the season is starting without him.  See last year. 

30 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Some good stuff from Peters and RF but Peters literally just said "I like our group" lol.:lol:

RF: slipped that it's Murphy's knee.

BP: Nesty probably not 100% yet

Nesty already has Frk vacuuming and doing the dishes at his house, lol.

RF: great team chemistry.  Canes have passed on very good players cause they didn't fit the team culture.

I tuned in and caught the last 5 minutes.  I forgot about it.  Good to hear Maniscalco even though he could be aggravating on the Aftermath at times.

Thanks for the tidbits Lake, but could you elaborate on the team chemistry and culture comment?  That sounds really interesting.

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm not sure he will ever make it back with recovery to even have an opportunity to be an option on the roster.  Things move fast and the season is starting without him.  See last year. 

This. Murphy could well be dead to the NHL roster. When they said 3-4 weeks, and now it's a knee, that tells me that even if it somehow (magically) is only that long, he's looking at limited minutes for a couple weeks more in CLT, and then has to hope both McKeown and Nakladal spit the bit. It's gonna be tough for Murph to skate on NHL ice for the Canes again.

Meanwhile, check this out: https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/mike-maniscalco-to-join-hurricanes-as-television-web-host/c-282572864

I gotta say, Chuck's broadcasts were a whooooole lot better in home second periods last season when Mike was doing color along with him. He should be a nice bookend for the TV broadcast.

Edited by top-shelf-1

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

could you elaborate on the team chemistry and culture comment?  That sounds really interesting.

RF repeated his story about 16 players going out to dinner last year on a road trip, says he'd never seen that before. 

BP talked about players cranking music in the locker room and dancing (poorly).  Positive energy.

RF told story about a young Cane noticing that a losing opposing player who walked by the bus and didn't seem bothered by the loss.

RF just said that we've passed on some good players who didn't fit the culture we're trying to build but didn't elaborate. 

All in all, I like the sound of where we're headed.

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Meanwhile, check this out: https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/mike-maniscalco-to-join-hurricanes-as-television-web-host/c-282572864

I gotta say, Chuck's broadcasts were a whooooole lot better in home second periods last season when Mike was doing color along with him. He should be a nice bookend for the TV broadcast.

Wow, from fired to TV and Canes Corner host.

Good luck Mike.  I do know you love your Canes, which is good enough for me.

You aren't as pretty as Michelle though.