The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

32 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

RF repeated his story about 16 players going out to dinner last year on a road trip, says he'd never seen that before. 

BP talked about players cranking music in the locker room and dancing (poorly).  Positive energy.

RF told story about a young Cane noticing that a losing opposing player who walked by the bus and didn't seem bothered by the loss.

RF just said that we've passed on some good players who didn't fit the culture we're trying to build but didn't elaborate. 

All in all, I like the sound of where we're headed.

Thanks!

Did Mike got the last laugh?  This is so weird.  The last I heard he was blogging on the Canes in Richmond, VA.  This is karma, Mike is going to join us for the playoffs this season. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I wonder about that when Murphy comes back. (Could be Murphy that gets traded).

I would enjoy that trade no matter what it brings back.

I have to admit I'm stunned that Bickell stuck--although he must, under the rules, skate in one NHL game before we can waive him. The addition of Frk and the brain trust's comment that Nesty isn't quite there yet leads me to believe (hope) that's the plan. Have to think the opening night forward lines look like this:

Nord-Staal-PDG

Skins-Rask-Stemp

Aho-Lindy-TT

Stahlberg-McC-Bickell

healthy scratches: Nesty, Frk

Waving Bicks after the Peg would make room for carrying 8 D, split equally L/R (WITHOUT Murphy), and an extra forward (Frk replaces Bicks, with Nesty in the press box until he's ready? And when he is, make Stalberg the healthy scratch?)

Of course, Bicks will now go out and score a natural hat trick, with Stalberg getting the primary assist on all three.

Opening night D:

Slavin-Faulk

Hanifin-Pesce

Hainsey-McKeown

healthy scratch: Dahlbeck

Edited by top-shelf-1

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

That would be an Abbott and Costello reboot in the making.  But I've got to go with "Faulk U" and "no Falk U".

I like that!!:P

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

What happened to Michelle?  Is she still on the team?

She is going to co-host a new show on NHL Network, "NHL Now" with E. J. Hradek and Steve Mears. Debut is scheduled for tomorrow, Oct. 12. 4 p.m. Eastern, I think it is.

Oh, here's the link - I'd posted it on another thread...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-to-launch-nhl-now/c-282370386

38 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I have to admit I'm stunned that Bickell stuck--although he must, under the rules, skate in one NHL game before we can waive him. The addition of Frk and the brain trust's comment that Nesty isn't quite there yet leads me to believe (hope) that's the plan. Have to think the opening night forward lines look like this:

Nord-Staal-PDG

Skins-Rask-Stemp

Aho-Lindy-TT

Stahlberg-McC-Bickell

healthy scratches: Nesty, Frk

Waving Bicks after the Peg would make room for carrying 8 D, split equally L/R (WITHOUT Murphy), and an extra forward (Frk replaces Bicks, with Nesty in the press box until he's ready? And when he is, make Stalberg the healthy scratch?)

Of course, Bicks will now go out and score a natural hat trick, with Stalberg getting the primary assist on all three.

Opening night D:

Slavin-Faulk

Hanifin-Pesce

Hainsey-McKeown

healthy scratch: Dahlbeck

I think you are spot on with the offense,although PDG and Stemp may swap spots early on. FRK will move in quickly.On Defense Dahlbeck will be in the line up quickly and at 6'3 210 and a good positional player, he will be a good match with Hainsey.

I'm intrigued about what very good players we passed on...

Good stuff about wanting to win and culture. If this team gets to winning, that culture would get even better.

Interesting about no C for the year. I guess that just takes the pressure off, especially J and Faulk.

Cannot believe we are about to start playing for real.

PLEASE give us a good start guys!!!

Edited by remkin

On culture and fit, RF mentioned that when interested in a player, Canes talk to his coaches, teammates, host families, everyone they can access.

On the "C" (or lack thereof) they did mention that it takes pressure off.  One of them said there's 6 or 8 guys who come to mind if you mention "the leadership group" (I'm paraphrasing) and you'd get different answers as to who it is from based on different criteria.from different coaches.

On players passed up, the first thing that comes to my mind is: I wonder if Sabres tried to shop us Evander Kane? (pure speculation on my part).

RF mentioned that the new D acquisitions allow us to develop yute d-men instead of rushing them.  Mentioned that even last year there was a big difference in our D wonder-yutes between the start of the year and when we brought them up due to injuries after a month or so in Charlotte. Makes me think that McKeown definitely goes down as soon as Nakladal is ready.

All in all, it was a really interesting interview.

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I think you are spot on with the offense,although PDG and Stemp may swap spots early on. FRK will move in quickly.On Defense Dahlbeck will be in the line up quickly and at 6'3 210 and a good positional player, he will be a good match with Hainsey.

I thought also that Bicks could be in that spot on Jordan's line; he was tried there in preseason, but he's too slow, at least based on others' observations. I like your idea best regardless. There was def chemistry last year among PDG, Skins and Rask. With Rask now healthy, I would love to give that line several games to see what happens, but I think BP is committed to Stemp on Rask's other wing.

Unless Bicks winds up on his wing, I think J's job in the O-zone is to be that big guy collecting trash in front, and drawing enough attention that that his wings have open shots from 10-20 feet out. I just hope he's been fitted for a flak jacket. Bickell could be that guy instead, sinve J can straight-up shoot the puck from 10-20. It'll be interesting to see who skates on that wing today and who starts there tomorrow. It *could* still be Bicks, because BP sure wants that big-guy, net-front presence enough. If it happens and it works, that move for both Bicks and TT is genius.

On D, I think Dahlbeck-Hainsey is a non-starter. BP seems really determined to keep L/R in alignment; having a guy play his off-side in a puck-possession system invites trouble. Hainsey with McKeown (and Nakladal when he arrives) preserves L/R on all pairings, and keeps the aging Hainsey fresh enough for PK and OT duty, while giving McKeown an opportunity to step up, like Pesce and Slavin did last year. I think McKeown and Nakladal split games until Murphy is healthy, and if they play well, I'm not sure Murph comes back.

Personally, and I could be wrong, but when I look at both Dahlbeck's and Nakladal's NHL numbers, I think that together they are the new Jordan, since we actually tried to sign Jordan again in the off-season. If it becomes clear that Murphy isn't going to get in 35 games, I think one of them becomes the Dman we must expose for expansion. Nakladal needs 43 games to qualify, which I why so I can see him splitting duties with McKeown. Dahlbeck already qualifies, so I think he's gonna be riding a lot of pine unless one of Hainsey, Hanifin or Slavin goes down.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think the D pairs will be:

Slavin-Faulk

Hainsey-Pesce

Hannifin-McKeown

McKeown goes back to Charlotte and Nakladl slots in his spot when he clears customs.  Dhalback the healthy extra.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think the D pairs will be:

Slavin-Faulk

Hainsey-Pesce

Hannifin-McKeown

McKeown goes back to Charlotte and Nakladl slots in his spot when he clears customs.  Dhalback the healthy extra.

...and at this point, when Murphy comes back, RF may pin a $20 bill to his shirt and run him through waivers (with his fingers crossed). 

As I mentioned earlier, last night RF and BP fairly directly addressed some of the issues being speculated on above. 

BP said that he likes to identify forward pairs who work well together and keep them set even if he tweaks the rest of the lineup around them. He specifically mentioned Staal (nice that we don't have to include a first initial anymore) and Nordy, and that either Nesty or Stemp might play alongside them.  He also really likes Rask and Skinner together. 

RF made such a strong point about developing our young d-men in Charlotte that I'm confident that McKeown is only here until Nakladal can play. He said that even last year's wunder-d-yutes really benefited from that first month down in Charlotte.  Sure, McKeown could be back up due to injury to a right shot d-man or if Nakladal craps the bed, but RF indicated that he really wants to be able to develop the yutes before exposing them to NHL-type pressure, again citing Detroit as an example.    

First LAST CHANCE TO GET IN ON THE OPENING GAME CONTEST!! Remember it is for the game TOMORROW!!!

Picks must be in by 10 AM tomorrow. (I want to post all picks and I work at 1 PM).

Today is a good day to play!

We have a prize too.

Outside of questions in goal and apprehension about the top end scoring, I really do like our group.

The late moves may be bottom-up type moves, but they allow exactly what Peters was referring to on the D, also on the O. That is, allowing guys to develop, and also making them earn their shot by standing out at lower levels. Example is Aho. The normal draft and develop schedule would have him back in Europe, or maybe even in Charlotte. But he basically forced his way onto the roster by playing essentially elite at other levels. PDG is further on the growth curve and has shown it at the NHL level. But others, who have looked good, but not stand out, can go back to their various levels and keep working for it. 

Same on D. Could Fleury or McKeown get by on the bottom pair? Probably. But would they not be better off learning the pro game in the top 4 or even top pairing in the AHL? I would say so.

I do think McKeown will get the start tomorrow too. I think he should. He'll get the first taste from that next tier, because he has played consistently well, and Murphy was the injury, and he's RHD like Murphy. Further, McKeown knows the system. So rather than forcing a new guy to play his off side, we go McKeown. Also, this will give McKeown a couple of NHL "taste" games to wet the appetite.

Once Nakladal has had a few practices, I'd see McKeown getting sent down.

Murphy. Things are just not breaking Murphy's way. Reportedly not well to start camp and still recovering into preseason, not ideal. Now the injury. Just like last year where he really looked pretty good, then concussion. I know that some pretty heavy hitters on here are done with him. I don't think he is ever going to be great, but there is always need for offensive D men. He put up a ton of points in the AHL. I really would have been curious what he might have brought this year if close to 100% healthy. I guess my main hope was that he established some PP presence that we really need, and then some trade value. My guess is he keeps riding the Boychuk express, with the chance of a chance down the line. It serves little purpose to just waive him or trade him for pucks.

Edited by remkin

Regarding the culture issue. It is a tough one for us fans, since we are not on the inside. But it is an important issue in long term buidling of a winner.

What I think we do know based on the words of people who do know:

1. Francis, from day one listed the most important issue in assessing a new acquisition: basically how they fit the culture. He said he wants first and foremost players who want to work, win, and be on this team. If you don't have all three of those, we pass.

2. Francis has said that this issue was really a top priority from day one also. Yes, draft and develop is the blueprint, but he said that the number one complaint he heard from fans when he took over, was consistent work ethic night in and night out. He and Peters have been fixing this more and more each year.

3. Brind'Amour in his luncheon I was fortunate enough to attend, told us, that there was indeed a cozy relationship with star players and JR. He said flat out that the benching of Semin would not have happened under JR (as just one example). One of the things that could draw players to Carolina is that we have a very good reputation in the league of treating players fairly, and our media is a soft and easy on players as it gets, but the flip side, is that we have to be able to hold players accountable. The message was that Peters and Francis are doing this far more than before.

4. Building on that theme, every coach in the world talks about accountability of all players. The full and complete execution of that is a myth, but the closer we can get to it the better. Big contracts with full NTC's (especially if they are also given to your brother) do not create a culture of equal accountability. But there is a lot of evidence on this team that Francis and Peters are getting closer and closer to that ideal. (Not just giving the C to Jordan is one small example). Frankly this is some reading between the lines, but not too hard to do: this team was kept from getting closer to that accountability line by the presence of Eric Staal. Even with JR gone, Eric could not be treated the same while he was here.

This is a theme of mine. Eric gone, Jordan not handed the C, there will be the highest level of bottom to top accountability that this team has ever seen, and with all oars pulling together it could be a "sum of the parts greater than the whole" situation this year that could lead to this team surprising.

Francis and Peters are not just drafting and developing players, they are building an organization. Culture is a big part of that. Ask any player who played for Detroit. Ask a player who has played football in Foxboro.

High hopes.

Go Canes!!

Edited by remkin

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

Regarding the culture issue. It is a tough one for us fans, since we are not on the inside. But it is an important issue in long term buidling of a winner.

What I think we do know based on the words of people who do know:...

Extremely well said, rem.  This assessment makes me even more excited about this season, even if we're not a Cup contender yet.  But you have to take the steps to get there.  JR took his steps and built a one-season winner - despite the crap-talk he gets to this day, i don't think any of us here have forgotten that he built a winner.  But again it was a one-season success.  RF's steps will take longer but when he gets there, i fully expect the team will become a perennial contender.  Bring it on.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

He specifically mentioned Staal (nice that we don't have to include a first initial anymore) and Nordy, and that either Nesty or Stemp might play alongside them.  He also really likes Rask and Skinner together. 

That's awesome, hopefully PDG will get to play with Skins and Rask.