The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Since I have been preoccupied with the board changes I have lost touch. Can someone post how training camp is going and if you are attending what you are seeing?

A lot of discussion in Training Camp thread. I wonder if we should close this one since it will go from Training Camp right into the season? Maybe re-name: Training Camp and Pre-Season?

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

A lot of discussion in Training Camp thread. I wonder if we should close this one since it will go from Training Camp right into the season? Maybe re-name: Training Camp and Pre-Season?

That is fine with me if it makes it easier

There has been some great discussion in the Off-Season thread about the preseason games, but it is mostly confusing to have two threads covering the same time period. If possible please put all training camp and pre-season game stuff in this thread.

It's only a prospects tournament and pre season but as of now.....We have a winning culture.  Good signs all around, lets see what the Vets can do together in some realistic lines.  Wardo and Lacko holding it down so far in their two periods each of work. 

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

lets see what the Vets can do together in some realistic lines

I think that is the next step. See how the group that will likely start the season mesh. 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

another test

I'm really excited about this bunch in training camp

Whew!  As long as you didn't say: "I like th-s gr--p."   I can't even bring myself to type it. :)

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Whew!  As long as you didn't say: "I like th-s gr--p."   I can't even bring myself to type it. :)

:lol:  Never

Some interesting observations from Today's Slapshot about our two preseason games, especially since we mostly couldn't see them:

Here's the link to the whole piece: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/carolina-hurricanes/early-takeaways-hurricanes-first-preseason-games/

Patrick Brown, who displayed an intriguing combination of speed and physicality in seven NHL appearances last season, scored the team’s lone regulation goal and was highly involved in play throughout the game against Washington.

Meanwhile, college free agent signing Andrew Poturalski, who spent the latter portion of 2015-16 with Charlotte, recorded an assist on Faulk’s game-winner and demonstrated his impressive puckhandling skills with several nifty moves during the course of the game.

Brown (17 on-ice shot attempts for, 9 against) and Poturalski (17 for, 8 against) both ranked among the top three Hurricanes in the game in terms of Corsi ranking, as well.

On Tuesday, 2014 fourth-rounder Lucas Wallmark, fresh off a breakout season in Sweden, found the back of the net despite playing less than 11 minutes. Veteran Derek Ryan, a semi-frequent call-up last season who tends to get lost in the rest of the Hurricanes’ far younger forward shuffle, also made his presence known by crashing the net and helping to produce several scoring opportunities.

I still maintain that injury is about any of those guys way onto the roster, but Brown, Poturalski, and Wallmark are generally not the splashier names we discuss. I really think there is a lot to "their time" in terms of age and draft year, and these guys are definitely in the "its time to show something" age.

With limited coverage to this point, and what seemed to be a good Prospects Tournament(?), I was a little surprised that Kouk was sent down. Wonder, with Peters away, who is making these decisions?

Another food for thought, aka concern, I'm wondering if Peter's protracted time away from team during this critical early "formation" period, particularly with the hateful early season foray away from home, may act as a setback to the early season?

23 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

With limited coverage to this point, and what seemed to be a good Prospects Tournament(?), I was a little surprised that Kouk was sent down. Wonder, with Peters away, who is making these decisions?

Another food for thought, aka concern, I'm wondering if Peter's protracted time away from team during this critical early "formation" period, particularly with the hateful early season foray away from home, may act as a setback to the early season?

I don't have any special insider knowledge, but I can pretty much guarantee that Peters and his staff are in contact. Further, Francis is still here, and he has primary decision making on the send down decision.

I was very impressed with how Kouk looked on many plays though. Like you mention Kjun, it's very hard to judge a poor internet stream, and I didn't see any preseason games, but in Traverse City Kuok stood out as a slick playmaker. He had the look of offensive skill. Now he's young, and not huge, and probably needs work on the overall game, but I would bet this guy is an NHL player in the next 2-3 years.

Roy has the advantage of size to go with his hands, and skating. I wasn't able to notice him as much, but everything I've heard is good. Still young too. Roy is a guy that I would love to be able to split his year with first half Juniors back half Charlotte. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

I've put it down a few times, but I would be shocked if anyone from this year's draft class stuck around for the season. The idea of getting an 18 year old guy his allotted games in the NHL and then back to Juniors, just doesn't make sense for this team, that needs full focus and a strong start, and does not have a spot for a Gauthier this year (another guy who would benefit from a split year who will go back to Juniors). I even doubt any guys from Aho's draft not named Aho make the team out of camp.

I personally think that the only names on this year's starting roster not on last years will be Aho, Teravainen, Bickell, and Stalberg.

THAT said, we have a very deep pool of "next level" first call ups: Tolchinsky, McGinn, Zykov, Ryan, Brown, Wallmark, on D Carrick, Tennyson, Fleury, McKeown. And I wouldn't rule out Foegle either, 6'2" smooth skater was praised by Chuck in the first period of the last pre-season game, and the right age to show something. And that's not even all of them (Saarela, and more). There is more percolating up depth than we've ever had.

Edited by remkin

IMO, sending a guy like Kouk back makes sense.  Yes, he was impressive in the prospects tourney, but he wasn't going to make the team this year.  The staff got to work with him and see where he was and where he needed to go.  Time to set him back on the stove and let him simmer a bit more. 

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The more I watched of Roy I more I'm convinced he's still got a ways to go.

Funny, I saw him as pretty dominant, lots of faceoff wins, and that feed to Gauthier for his first goal was pretty heads-up. Just goes to show ya!

Canes v Bolts tonight

forward lines: McGinn-Staal-Di Giuseppe Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen Skinner-Rask-Stempniak Torres-Wallmark-Nestrasil

defensive pairs: Hainsey-Faulk Fleury-Pesce Carrick-Tennyson

two goaltenders for tonight are Eddie Lack and Michael Leighton, who could potentially see his first preseason action.

first PP unit has Staal, Lindholm, Aho Teravainen and Faulk.

Go Leights..;)  The two bobble heads in my house are Leighton from Norfolk Admirals days my son got and a Semin (you all know that story by now) :shakeshead:

Has a decidedly more "NHL Players" feel to that line-up. If I'm not mistaken, only Wallmark has zero NHL games.

Also, interested to see that first PP unit. We are going to need a decent PP this year. I think that first unit looks good. TT, Lindy, and Aho can all pass and make the slick plays, Faulk has the bomb and J has the size and net presence.

Edited by remkin

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Funny, I saw him as pretty dominant, lots of faceoff wins, and that feed to Gauthier for his first goal was pretty heads-up. Just goes to show ya!

I was referring to the preseason more than Traverse City.