The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

I'll say this about both TT and Aho. The skill and creativity is on display, but both had knuckle bitingly bad own zone turnovers. I'm chalking that up to first game pre season, but something to watch. TT has serious skill. He's slick, and can shift sharply and smoothly with the puck just glued to his stick. He is also very good on the PP. While our PP looked bad the first time, it got better, and towards the end looked very good. I have high hopes for that line.

Also, building on the PDG point. It is going to be hard to keep him off this team. He plays fast, and hard, and this is the kind of guy you want somewhere in your lineup. And unlike a, say Bowman or Dwyer, he creates some offense too.

The question will be where. Didn't have Nordstrom in there last night, but he is such a smart complete player,  and Nesty looked pretty good, especially on the boards, and that line w/ J was just so good, I just don't see us messing with that line. And Linds and Finns really has promise too. One preseason game is way to soon to make any final judgements, but PDG stood out far more than say, Stempniak last night...

Another point on last night, we had our entire top 9 out there minus Nordstrom, and managed one 6 on 4 goal. It's early, and I'm not worried, but just sayin...a few more goals at some point would be nice. We did have chances.

Tampa is one of the fastest teams in the league and we did not look any slower than them last night.

Skinner looks good already. This guy will have 30 goals, if not more, depending on his linemates.

Edited by remkin

Thanks for the observations Remkin.    I started watching the stream, but gave up (see complaints above).  Started listening to Chuck, but couldn't keep track and decided to watch something else.

10 hours ago, remkin said:

Also, building on the PDG point. It is going to be hard to keep him off this team. He plays fast, and hard, and this is the kind of guy you want somewhere in your lineup. And unlike a, say Bowman or Dwyer, he creates some offense too.

Thanks for the report Rem.  I like the way he plays the game and we don't have too many guys cough McGinn who we expected to. 

10 hours ago, remkin said:

Also, building on the PDG point. It is going to be hard to keep him off this team [...] the question will be where. Didn't have Nordstrom in there last night, but he is such a smart complete player, and Nesty looked pretty good, especially on the boards, and that line w/ J was just so good, I just don't see us messing with that line.

And Linds and Finns really has promise too. One preseason game is way to soon to make any final judgements, but PDG stood out far more than say, Stempniak last night...

Another point on last night, we had our entire top 9 out there minus Nordstrom, and managed one 6 on 4 goal. It's early, and I'm not worried, but just sayin...a few more goals at some point would be nice. We did have chances.

Tampa is one of the fastest teams in the league and we did not look any slower than them last night.

PDG is a big reason I've felt okay about what we did this off-season. I agree about not messing with the best line we had last year--unless, of course, you can improve it. Nesty has always struck me as a grinder. That shouldn't automatically relegate him to the fourth, because he totally earned his status last year. But that being said, I doubt he's in the top six on most other teams.

Something that's occurred to me also: I know all of us have cited RF's comment about not wanting to put skilled guys on the fourth line. But I also wonder if, when you've got enough of them to roll four skilled lines, don't you have to do that, and then pull the "right" guys from any/all your lines for special teams?

I agree, too early to worry about the lack of scoring. Their keeper was in the zone. No excuse, though, sounded like we missed at least a couple of wide open chances, and that Lindholm broke a stick on another. But you're going to have nights like that. That being said, it's preseason, and time to look for progress toward opening night. For me, based on Chuck's call, the arc of the PP's performance from first appearance (abysmal) to last (relentless) was pretty amazing. If the units we saw are close to what we're going to see, they made a ton of progress in just one night, and without it hurting us in the standings.  

Yeah, I made the point abut that PP unit too. It looked disjointed to start, but got better and better. I think it is a nice mix of skill and power. To me the best pp has really good, quick passers and a point shot that has to be respected. This unit has that with Aho,  TT and Lindholm passing and Faulk bombing from the top. It has a lot of promise. 

A good PP will be critical to this team. Not only for the goals, but as a defense against teams taking liberties. We're already very good with our speed and Skinner at drawing lots of penalties, so there are a bunch of the goals we need over last year.

In that particular game the game took that same course. The first period there were like 7 shots, total for both teams combined. Then towards the end of the second we got a couple of sustained pressures going, and much better in the third. A few open chances with the puck jumping over sticks, and a couple of "one pass too many's", and J.s shot hit the crossbar. 

I agree it is way too early to really worry about goals yet. Just hoping to start seeing more of them, since we've looked fast and possessed well for a while now, and finish is the missing piece. One guy who will finish a lot is Skinner though. I think 30 is the low end.He looks good already.

I'll just get back to TT one more time. He has notable skill. My concern will be staying strong on the puck and not making bad turnovers. Both he and Aho did that in this game, TT a couple of times. Aho turned one over to a guy right in front of our net. Lack made the save, but Aho was visibly upset with himself at the bench. I think both of these guys will clean that up, but that's my only issue with them.

Edited by remkin

Just saw a projected lineup for tonight's game against the Wild on another site.  If that's what we end up actually icing, it seems like the ultimate "evaluation" lineup to me. And if that lineup makes it a game, it seems like it would be a huge affirmation of the Canes system.

They also project E Staal and Zac Dalpe (remember him?) to play for the Wild.

Hurricanes (per twitter from morning skate)

Valentin Zykov – Andrew Poturalski – Sergey Tolchinsky
Joakim Nordstrom – Andrej Nestrasil – Bryan Bickell
Brock McGinn – Derek Ryan – Phil Di Giuseppe
Raffi Torres – Jay McClement – Viktor Stalberg

Jaccob Slavin – Ryan Murphy
Noah Hanifin – Matt Tennyson
Jake Chelios - Roland McKeown

Michael Leighton
Alex Nedeljkovic

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Just saw a projected lineup for tomorrow's game against the Wild on another site. 

They also project E Staal and Zac Dalpe (remember him?)

What the Name Zac Dalpe Means to Me. by remkin

When I hear the name Zac Dalpe, I think of the days of paper thin depth. I think of three grouped names: Boychuk, Dalpe, and Bowman. Back in the 2009-10 timeframe Dalpe, (taken second round 2008) right after another Zach, Boychuk, was taken in the first round, along with Drayson Bowman (3rd round '07), were THE forward prospects. This reminds me of how badly we drafted from 2005 to 2009. The single best forward we drafted during those 5 years, by far, was Brandon Sutter (2007). Now Sutter has had a nice career, but his lifetime .38 ppg is not what you want from the best forward you draft in a 5 year span. Also, we picked him #11 in the first round.

That drought of 5 pretty bad draft years is a major reason we had the next 5 years of futility.

What Dalpe also makes me think of though is that he represents the last year we struck out in the second round. And that, is pretty amazing. 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013*, 2014**, 2015**, 2016**  produced at least one good to very good NHL player from the second round.

*2013 had no second round pick, but Bret Pesce was taken in the third.

**2014, 2015, and 2016 are not yet proven, but I'll take Aho, Nedel, and Kuokannen's chances.

It is kind of surprising that Dalpe broke 100 NHL games. Good for him. But last year was 2 NHL games and he's 26, so odds are he doesn't go much past it.

So, when I hear Zac Dalpe I think back on how bad our prospect pool and drafting were, but I also think forward to how much better it's gotten. We have at least 10 forwards in the pipeline now with at least the upside of those three guys, and that doesn't count Aho, TT, or PDG.

What I finally think is better days ahead.

Edited by remkin

On the radio, during (or maybe right after) the last game, Brind'Amour mentioned that Aho and Teravainen had not really had a chance to practice and learn the system. He seems really high on them, and wasn't concerned about any miscues. We should see more of what we can expect from them after they have a few practices under their belts. 

The Checker's camp starts Monday. I assume today's lineup will allow some of those destined for Charlotte to make it for the start of camp.

Smith is reporting that one E. Staal will center Parise and Charlie Coyle. So yeah, ours is an evaluation lineup for sure. Unless one of them utterly dazzles, I'd expect these reassignments after the game:

Ned

Chelios

McKeown

Poturalski

Zykov

McGinn

Ryan

They're all guys I'd imagine Ulf will want in Chex camp on Day One. 

I think Leighton stays around at least through Wednesday, and possibly throughout camp, to keep the fire lit under Lack. Maybe the same with Tennyson re Murphy. The line Bickell is on sets tonight up as a big indicator whether he is truly 100 percent. If he can hang on that line, I think he wins the fourth-line job for sure. 

I think Torres stays throughout camp and is offered a two-way, as depth in case Bicks or Stalberg goes down. Whether he takes it, who knows.

Agree with Rem, our depth chart is quickly becoming a beautiful thing.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Preseason Gameday: Hurricanes at Wild

Zykov-Poturalski-Tolchinsky
Bickell-Nordstrom-Nestrasil
McGinn-Ryan-Di Giuseppe
Torres-McClement-Stalberg

Slavin-Murphy
Hanifin-Tennyson
Chelios-McKeown

Leighton
Nedeljkovic

Watch: FOX Sports GO

Listen: WRALSportsFan.com, WRAL Sports Fan mobile app, CarolinaHurricanes.com

Follow: @Canes_Gameday

Not sure how icing an almost AHL team helps getting off to a good start.

At least 10 or 12 guys need to go.  Including Murphy.

Tolchinsky just got abused out there and if Brock McGinn can't learn to move his feet he's done as well. 

Tired of evaluation I want to see a hockey team.

Damn ugly.

Edited by coastal_caniac

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Including Murphy.

I hear you, coastal, re the AHLers--but my guess is BP wanted to see these guys at ice level and game speed against a solid group of NHLers. He has, and I expect a bunch will ship out to CLT. I expect we'll see one more wave of AHLers Tuesday, and the next bunch won't have to worry about clearing customs for Sault Ste. Marie. 

As for Murph, I agree. Time to cut bait. Tennyson, McKeown, Chelios... or this guy would be a better #6: 

rP97Cq0i_400x400.jpg

That's right.

Ernie.

Keebler. 

All of that being said, the Wild should be ashamed of themselves for not scoring a LOT more goals. And I'll tell you what, I am officially feeling very good about our goaltending depth.

it's been ugly the past 2 games.  It seems like the same old story.  Lots of shots lack of chances  or in this case hardly any shots .    I know it is pre season and I will hold judgement until 20 games in.  But if we falter due to lack of scoring it was due to.being total cheap skates this off season and making major moves in acquiring TT, Bickel ,  Stahlberg, and Stemp.  

Murphy sucks .   He will.cost this team games.

Edited by bluedevil58

Okay, recognizing the lineup BD.  My point was only that its hopefully time to start icing a team to prepare for the season when we all know how critical the start is. It seems fairly obvious a lot of this camp roster is going back somewhere.  Sooner vs later for me.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sounds like I picked a good one to miss. Two questions:

1. Did anyone look good?

2. Murphy was that bad?:hitsforehead: I had some hope he'd show something this year.

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Sounds like I picked a good one to miss. Two questions:

1. Did anyone look good?

2. Murphy was that bad?:hitsforehead: I had some hope he'd show something this year.

I just hope he brings enough to not be detrimental while racking up enough games to be expansion fodder.  We all know i'm not a big fan of Faulk, but even i don't want the Hurricanes lose him for nothing.

It was really hard to tell who looked good.  The Wild iced their NHL roster.  Basically we were on the PK most of the game.  It was ugly.  Notable to me was how badly Tolchinsky will probably need an ice bath tomorrow.  He simply got abused physically.  McGinn stood out to me as just floating around and looking lost.

The guy who stood out to me offensively was Zykov and Leighton had a decent game. 

Murphy hopefully isn't our 6th defenseman but he wasn't terrible.  Tennyson, McKeown, Chelios were just overmatched.  I hope we sign a depth d-man.

Thanks Coastal. Too bad about McGinn, he might be a miss, but not as big a miss as Murphy would be. I thought Zykov had some nice moments in Traverse City. Did Bickell at least look like he could play 4th line minutes?

With only 3 Preseason games left, and 5 days off between the last one and the first real game, I surely agree w/ major cutdowns now. Need to get our regular team finding its' game, especially some Finnish and some finish.

Edited by remkin