The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Pre Season and Training Camp 2016

Pesce was disappointing - that was not the same guy whose game i fell in love with last season.  Tennyson was OK but i'm still not sure why he was signed... maybe he's here in case Pesce's not the guy whose game RF fell in love with last season.  Murphy was fine... still didn't look like a #12 overall but i'm still comfortable with him being the 35-game option to get this team through the expansion draft.  Hainsey was Hainsey.  Hanifin doesn't look to have turned into the #1 defensive stud yet.  Lowe, we enjoyed the Lacavalier majors; that's all we'll see of you in the NHL for a good while, if not forever.  Ward should have had the second goal, but if the team's going to get shutout then it doesn't really matter if he lets in 1 or 40.  The NSN line looked OK; most of the other forwards looked like kids who are just before being sent either to Charlotte or juniors, which of course is what they are.

All told, meh.  Big round of cuts coming when the team gets back to Raleigh.

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I don't think it had anything to do with the major moves this team did thus off season though!

Finally, an accurate post from BD58! None of the players acquired in those moves suited up.

#StillNotGraspingTheWholeEvaluationThing

Edited by top-shelf-1

32 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm not seeing any way we keep PDG off the roster. Brown was also very good. 

I think that is what these games are all about. We are evaluating players to see just where they are in their development to determine who might stay with the big club, who might be sent down but establish an order for call ups. I'm not to worried yet because the roster that we are likely to skate on opening night haven't played together as a team yet.

Having sid that I think it is important as team to have good outings to build confidence. We are still a very young team

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Having sid that I think it is important as team to have good outings to build confidence. We are still a very young team

I agree, and really don't see any of the last four outings as bad, when you consider the lineups on the other side--and that our head coach, who must ultimately decide, has been back for three games. 

With the exception of icing one NHL line in each of those games, our kiddos have kept up with the NHL rosters of two teams, and I'm sure that the coaching staff is constantly reinforcing that the final score doesn't matter--yet. These forwards are here to work on the defensive aspect of their games against some of the best players in the world, while we ensure our opening-night lineup is ready, rested, and healthy.  

10 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Ward should have had the second goal,

You do realize that it was deflected downward in front of the net off the high shot from the point, right? 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Definitely a boring game.  Nestrasil and J. Staal looked fast and strong though neither did anything great.  D was decent, offense bad. Ward looks pretty solid and healthy back there thus far.  I have confidence he will have a good year. Definitely worried about lack of scoring this year.  We'll see when the real line up is out and they have a few games to gel.

30 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You do realize that it was deflected downward in front of the net off the high shot from the point, right? 

I didn't get a good look at the deflection.  Cool, i'll yield on that one.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree, and really don't see any of the last four outings as bad, when you consider the lineups on the other side--and that our head coach, who must ultimately decide, has been back for three games. 

With the exception of icing one NHL line in each of those games, our kiddos have kept up with the NHL rosters of two teams, and I'm sure that the coaching staff is constantly reinforcing that the final score doesn't matter--yet. These forwards are here to work on the defensive aspect of their games against some of the best players in the world, while we ensure our opening-night lineup is ready, rested, and healthy.  

I don't know a Goalie who could of stopped that one. A nasty deflection. I'm not so sure he could of had the other one either.

What I'm more concerned about with Cam is that according to the boxscore the Sabres only had 2 shots the whole game and naturally he let them in.

/sarcasm

I really think this level of sarcasm is detectable but one of you would leave me shaking my head surely. 

My brief take: (is that possible?).

It was surreal to have Doc Emrick and the NHL broadcasting "A" Team covering a preseason game with mostly non NHL"ers in a small town rink.

I hated the camera angle. Couldn't see a lot of the ice. And to that extent had trouble really evaluating guys whose numbers I don't have memorized.

I get that this is a back to back and probably we ice a mostly NHL team tonight, but the lack of scoring is getting old. We now have two preseason games to start putting a few pucks in the net. I'm sure that Peters and company got some good insight into various prospects, but it was hard to make much of this one for me.

The names that stood out to me were PDG and Brown, just iike Top mentioned. Outside of that? some guys did not look out of place, but really no one wowed. I didn't think Murphy was terrible, and I think Murphy has to be pretty bad not to get the 6 spot.

Brown? 24 yo undrafted. .357 ppg in Charlotte (30 pt pace). .75 ppg last year at BC. He is potential 4th line center material. Jay McClement better step things up from his 3 goal, -17 campaign from last year is all I'm saying.

Overall Ward has been pretty good as has Lack.

It is time to put our lines and team together and get ready to try to put some pucks in nets.

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

Uhhh... no.

(Said the kettle.)

:D.

That would be a great emoticon. A pot calling out a kettle. :letssee:. And no, I have no control over which ones we get. But that would be a good one.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I didn't think Murphy was terrible

Murphy actually made a top-drawer play, breaking up an attempted pass off the rush to the far side, about 15 feet out, in the first. I mean, textbook net-front coverage; got low, dragged his leg and kicked the puck to the boards. Really nice work.

I also thought our first PP was good. Hanifin looked at home atop the umbrella, and our forwards seem to have finally realized that you gain the zone with the biscuit, carry it as deep as you can, then throw it back up top to your waiting D and hustle to your spot. Seven years later... 

Yeah, Hanifin just looks so smooth and cool out there. I just see him constantly improving. Francis has said he still has things to work on, but the upside is huge.

Canes to Reassign Five to Charlotte

Woods, Sutter, Lowe, Tennyson and Leighton placed on waivers

The interesting part of this to me isn't that these guys are going down to Charlotte, it's that they have to be go through the waiver process.  Seems like preseason "evaluation" games for guys whose last regular game stint was in the AHL shouldn't force them to be exposed to waivers.  After all, these games don't count against a rookie's 10 game NHL limit to start the first year of their ELCs, does it? 

I know that there's little risk of any of these guys being claimed, but it still doesn't seem quite right to me.

Edited by LakeLivin

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Canes to Reassign Five to Charlotte

Woods, Sutter, Lowe, Tennyson and Leighton placed on waivers

The interesting part of this to me isn't that these guys are going down to Charlotte, it's that they have to be go through the waiver process.  Seems like preseason "evaluation" games for guys whose last regular game stint was in the AHL shouldn't have to be exposed to waivers.  After all, these games don't count against a rookie's 10 game NHL limit to start the first year of their ELCs, does it? 

I know that there's little risk of any of these guys being claimed, but it still doesn't seem quite right to me.

It's that old bug-a-boo "age/years of service" rule kicking in - plus, if they're 20 or over (and these five are), ALL professional games count, not just at the NHL level.

Here's a good explanation of same from the Litter Box Cats (Florida Panthers) blog...

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

More of the same, in a more compact form, from CapFriendly...

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

Edited by JonKerfoot
Spelling correction

14 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Pesce was disappointing - that was not the same guy whose game i fell in love with last season.

Pesce was coming off an illness - HCBP mentioned it in one of the articles on the website.

Let's be honest here.  If this team does not generate offense tonight then I think that is a sign of what is to come this season.  Management forked out some big time money for some big time players this off season.  So we all expect results.

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
Bickell-McClement-Stalberg
Foegele-Wallmark-Tolchinsky

Slavin-Faulk
Fleury-McKeown
Carrick-Bean

Lack

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

It's that old bug-a-boo "age/years of service" rule kicking in - plus, if they're 20 or over (and these five are), ALL professional games count, not just at the NHL level.

Here's a good explanation of same from the Litter Box Cats (Florida Panthers) blog...

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

More of the same, in a more compact form, from CapFriendly...

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

Yeah, I can see why the NHLPA would negotiate that in, to maximum the chances for experienced players to make it to the NHL.  But it could make for some interesting situations.  Let's say after the Canes signed Leighton at a cheap rate to backstop Charlotte, a couple of teams had goalies incur injuries late off season.  I could see another team wanting Leighton as a backup. If that were the case, RF might want to make sure to assign Leighton to Charlotte prior to Oct. 1st (12 days pror to seasons start) in order to avoid a risk of someone picking him up, thereby denying him that extra time with the big club.  

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, I can see why the NHLPA would negotiate that in, to maximum the chances for experienced players to make it to the NHL.  But it could make for some interesting situations.  Let's say after the Canes signed Leighton at a cheap rate to backstop Charlotte, a couple of teams had goalies incur injuries late off season.  I could see another team wanting Leighton as a backup. If that were the case, RF might want to make sure to assign Leighton to Charlotte prior to Oct. 1st (12 days pror to seasons start) in order to avoid a risk of someone picking him up, thereby denying him that extra time with the big club.  

I think all these GMs have known each other a long time, and realize that they might need something another guy has at some point--so swiping a guy in pre-season - someone you had all summer to sign yourself - is probably not the best way to keep them taking your phone calls.

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think all these GMs have known each other a long time, and realize that they might need something another guy has at some point--so swiping a guy in pre-season - someone you had all summer to sign yourself - is probably not the best way to keep them taking your phone calls.

You're probably right. For the same reason I can't see a GM squeezing another GM who's under the cap gun out of a promising young player just to take on the bloated contract of an aging veteran. Oh, wait . . . :P

But seriously top, if a team did have a goalie go down unexpectedly late in the summer, I can't see political correctness limiting their options to fill the gap.   I don't see it as being much different from any other time a player hits the waiver wire.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
Bickell-McClement-Stalberg
Foegele-Wallmark-Tolchinsky

Slavin-Faulk
Fleury-McKeown
Carrick-Bean

Lack

It's all playing out as expected. Mostly NHL fowards, mostly prospect D for this one.

Just remove Foegle-Wallmark-Tochinsky, and insert NSL with PDG as the extra, and you have the top 13 forwards.

Just replace Fleury-McKeown-Carrick-Bean with Hainesy-Faulk-Slavin-Murphy, and you have the Defense.

I do wonder who is the #7 D man. Carrick? Fleury?

I guess it doesn't matter that much, but the whole unit will only get one preseason game all together.

Edited by remkin