The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JonKerfoot

NET360 Goalie Camp - Interesting Article

Eddie Lack of the Hurricanes participlated in the NET360 Goalie Camp up in Kelowna earlier this summer. I thought it was interesting - even the small stuff gets discussed. Nice bit about Lack learning a new way to tie his skates that he feels gives him more ankle flexibility.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-net360-advanced-techniques-for-goalies/c-282468218

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

interesting stuff JK, thanks for linking!

You're welcome, top! Thought you might be interested in this, being a hockey player yourself....

3 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

You're welcome, top! Thought you might be interested in this, being a hockey player yourself....

Was a keeper for years. Most fascinating position in sports, IMO. 

I'm not sure if Lack ever went through with it but he said a recent craze in the league was using normal height skates instead of goalie low skates. Not sure if he ever went through with it.

I'd imagine every inch count when someone tries the Forsberg dangle on you.

On 10/8/2016 at 10:02 PM, legend-1 said:

I'm not sure if Lack ever went through with it but he said a recent craze in the league was using normal height skates instead of goalie low skates. Not sure if he ever went through with it.

I'd imagine every inch count when someone tries the Forsberg dangle on you.

That's interesting. They definitely have the heel much higher than the toe than it was back in the day. Check it out.

Also an interesting piece here on how they've streamlined the boot so keepers can dig in their toes at a sharper angle without losing their edge.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Adding to that article Lundqvist is doing a lot of innovative things that anyone other then a goalie wouldn't notice. That backside loop in the goaliemonkey link is a popular Lundqvist innovation called the Lundy Loop. He doesn't put his bottom strap under the boot like everyone else, he puts it through the loop so the pad when making a kick save is that much taller on his leg, leaving his toes exposed (ouch in my opinion) but when he deals with deflections and he's doing a kick save the pad is still covering the 5 hole or so goes the theory.

Image result for lundqvist loop image