The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
ThrashCanes

New to the Boards

Hi Everyone,

I've been an avid reader on these message boards (as well as Canes Country) for the last few years, but figured I would finally go on ahead and create my own login - I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts/opinions over the years. I've loved everything RF and BP have done with this team so far, and I can only imagine where we'll be in just a couple short years towards the later stages of this rebuild.

Just for a brief background, I was born in Atlanta and was a diehard Atlanta Thrashers fan (I know, seems like an oxymoron any of us existed with our attendance - long story short for those of you who don't know too much about the situation, the ownership group single-handedly killed that franchise). So I lived in Raleigh for around 12 years, and after graduating from NC State last May, I moved up to Virginia for work (around a year ago now). My parents still live in Raleigh over in Brier Creek, and my closet back home is filled with a half a dozen Thrashers jerseys and various memorabilia.

I'm not going to life, I  attended Canes game cheering on the Thrashers against you guys emphatically every year up until 2011 for all the Southeast divisional games, and after turning my back on the league out of pure disappointment, as well as frustration, from their relocation, I was recently able to finally put aside my differences and pull for a hockey team again (I just love this sport too much). I had NHL TV last season and watched basically all 82 games, and now I've been using the Fox Sports GO app, so it's been great to be 100% behind a team again, emotionally speaking, with that same level of passion again that I had for Atlanta. Regardless of the heartbreak from losing the Thrashers, since I moved away from Raleigh, I've become very nostalgic with that being my true "hometown," so I'm just happy that we have a team in NC.

I'm coming home on Friday night for the home opener against the Rangers - I'll be there with my Dad. Looking forward to future conversations with you all on the boards!

Edited by ThrashCanes

Welcome and happy to have you among the Caniacs. Enjoy the home opener and now that you are a board member please join in the conversation

Welcome Aboard ThrashCanes.

Most Canes fans started with another team. Since the Thrashers are gone, it's even better to be a Canes fan. At least you don't have to don a Jets jersey every time they come to town.  I'll be at the home opener too. Hopefully we can get it after the long road trip.

As you know reading on here, we're a hopeful bunch with what Francis is putting in place, but our recent history has been harsh, so more than a couple of people here have paper thin patience with losing. But most are still hopeful with the new skill, youth, speed, and depth. I guess we'll see.

Looking forward to your input.

Thank you both for the welcome, I do appreciate it!

And remkin, I actually did attempt to follow the Jets for the first year ('11-'12) after they relocated to Winnipeg, but honestly, it just wasn't the same in the slightest rooting for a team that wasn't from my hometown anymore. With that being said, Go 'Canes!

• Like 1

Welcome Thrash, happy to have you!  I still very regularly wear a bright yellow Thrash shirt i bought on a business trip to Atlanta the summer before they started.  I grabbed a license plate as well that i still have; we ever cross paths i'll give it to you if you want it.  Not the shirt though!  Anyway, again welcome!

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Welcome Thrash, happy to have you!  I still very regularly wear a bright yellow Thrash shirt i bought on a business trip to Atlanta the summer before they started.  I grabbed a license plate as well that i still have; we ever cross paths i'll give it to you if you want it.  Not the shirt though!  Anyway, again welcome!

Glad to be here! Over the years, since their relocation, I still come across people wearing Thrashers gear from time to time, and every time I see that it's a memorable "blast from the past."

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

From another Atlanta-born member, welcome ThrashCanes.

Thank you, coastal - happy to be here!

Despite just 1 win in 6 to start the season, I'm still just ecstatic to have hockey back after 6 long months (and to be following a team closely again, too).

21 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Welcome Thrash.  You know Don Waddell is part of the deal.

Oh don't worry, I'm well aware - mixed feelings about him! I actually ran into Don in the hallways of the main box office of PNC when I was grabbing tickets, so we had the chance to chat about how he killed my hometown team (just kidding, of course). We talked for around 15 minutes or so, and he essentially validated what I knew was the case: the most dysfunctional ownership group in professional sports tied his hands on basically every aspect of that team for years. I'm also glad that the Hawks have a new ownership group now, too.

15 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Welcome aboard.  Wanna see my 5 hole?

Haha I'll pass for now, but I'd be more than happy to show you Lack and Ward's - they've been wide open since October 13th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThrashCanes said:

Haha I'll pass for now, but I'd be more than happy to show you Lack and Ward's - they've been wide open since October 13th.

Best answer I have seen for SD's offer.

• Like 1