The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

THE GREAT MEMBER'S CHOICE HOME OPENER CONTEST: NOW WITH WINNER!!!

WELCOME TO THE HOME OPENER, GREAT, MEMBER'S CHOICE CONTEST!!!

:yahoo:

Where the members chose the questions! :grouphug:

OK, we chose them, from member's submissions , but still..

Image result for choices

Wow, that loaded big....

Wish I could say the same for this one:

Image result for funny hockey pictures

OK, now that that's done, some pre-contest business.

Here's the PRIZE!!!!!

hat.jpg

This lovely Canes hat! Now you can get one without going to the game, or get 2 if you do go.

Think of this. Even when you go to the game, you get this hat, but when Aho scores a hat trick you throw it on the ice.

But now you still get one!

Also, this contest came pre-loaded with one point to be awarded for best question. This was to be decided on by the mod and admin types, who basically told me to pick, and so, without further adieu, the one point is awarded to........

RyazanCaniac!!!!

RyazanCaniac

:applaud::yippee: 

For his question about the adding up the jerseys. Very nice indeed.

And now!!! THE QUESTIONS!!!

All questions pertain to Cane's Players only.

All correct answers worth one point unless otherwise noted.

Mystery question, worth 20 points not shown.

PM all answers to me. Please do not post them.

AND NOW!!! THE QUESTIONS!!!!

1. Who will score the first goal?

2. Who will score the second goal? (1 pt), (both names right,1 bonus point, correct order, 2 bonus points)

3. Who will win the belt or axe? (1 point if your pick gets either), no points if not awarded.

4. Who will have the best face-off percentage?

5. How many total goals will the Canes score?

6. Who will be the first intermission interview?

7. Name the three stars of the game: (1 pt per star, 1 bonus point for 2/3, 3 bonus points for all three (don't need to be in order).

8. Who will deliver the teeth rattling check of the game?

9. Who will register the most shots on goal?

10. Will the goalie save percentage be better than .900?

12. Who will post the lowest +/- ? (every player gets a plus or minus or even for the game, who will be most negative).*

13. 3 POINT TOSS UP QUESTION: What is the sum of the jersey numbers of all goal scorers (multiple goal jersey counted once). Closest wins.

14. 2 POINT TOSS UP QUESTION: What will be the official announced attendance (closest wins).

Tie Breaker: How many shots do the Canes allow? (Only used to break a tie from leaders in questions 1-14)

* #12 further clarification: which Cane will be on the ice the most times when the opponent scores 5/5 goals net the times on ice when Canes score. Further clarification: pick a guy not involved w/ scoring but involved with bad defense. Further clarification: pick a guy,

Good Luck. May you and the Canes win!!!

Edited by remkin

Just a point of clarification, and in case you are interested - the Fireman's Helmet has been retired so nobody can win that.  You now have to carry water (the belt) and/or chop wood (an axe).  Stalberg won both of those in our ONLY win. 

If you pick  "it won't be awarded" you will be right.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thanks Coastal. I changed it up. For those who have already picked, your pick for the Fireman's hat can still stand.

No points for that one if we lose.

Hey rem, for #13 do shoot out goals count?  If you're looking for input my vote would be "no", but either way seems like it would be best to specify before the game.

Also,

12. Who will post the lowest +/- ? (every player gets a plus or minus or even for the game, who will be most negative).*

* #12 further clarification: which Cane will be on the ice the most times when the opponent scores 5/5 goals.

I know you're looking for the worst +/-.  But the clarification seems to rule out a Cane getting a "+1" if he's on ice for an ES Canes goal.  Is it per the regular definition of +/- or per the way you wrote the clarification?

Edited by LakeLivin

On total jersey number for goals, OT goal counts, but shoot out goals don't count, as they don't in the game.

I will try again on the plus minus. Each game there is a list of every player who for that game had a net plus-minus of a number. I believe that number is the total of all goals for that they were on the ice for, minus the number of opponent goals that they were on the ice for. It is said, Eric Staal was a plus 2 tonight, meaning he was on the ice for a net of two goals for. Could have been one against and three for, could have been 2 against and 4 for.

I am asking for which player, who by skill or luck seems to be on the ice for the worst of it.

This will likely be more than one player, since in a given game there are usually a bunch at each level. ie 3 guys plus 2, 5 guys plus 1, 4 guys even, 2 guys minus 1, etc. Whatever player or players occupy the bottom of the plus minus list (bad) for this game, would win you that point. It could be that we have a huge blow out win, and the worst on the team is a few guys at zero (even). Then, if you picked one of them, you get the point.

If uncertainty remains, just pick the guy you think will be overall least effective for the team on the combination of offense minus defense. If that doesn't work pick a guy who rarely scores. If that doesn't work, pick a name!!!

(I'm not picking on you Lake, there has been confusion on this question, so I must have phrased it badly, but don't want to change it).

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

(I'm not picking on you Lake, there has been confusion on this question, so I must have phrased it badly, but don't want to change it).

Not taken that way at all, rem. For the record, the original question wasn't at all confusing to me.  It was the phrasing of the clarification that brought some doubt into my mind.  The way it was worded it seemed to exclude the "pluses" a player gets for being on the ice when the Canes score.  But it's all clear now.  :)

This contest will remain open until game time since I am going to the game, and will not play (so I will not post picks ahead of time).

We have less players than the opening road game contest, so you really have a great chance to win this one!!!!!

Dream no more Ryazan!!! Now we have to figure out postage!

YES, we have a WINNER.

RyazanCaniac!!!  :applaud::clapper::applause::woohoo:

He didn't need the bonus point either.

He got all three stars of the game right, and won the attendance bonus points too.

Thanks to all that played. And the team won too!

runner up: Hag!

Now we just need to get one of those hats that got thrown onto the ice in the fake-out hat trick, and send it to Ryazan.

3 minutes ago, RNT82 said:

Congrats Ryazan!

Side note, since it wasn't a real hat trick, what are the canes going to do with all those hats thrown on the ice?

Thanks! Btw, what do they usually do with them when a real hat trick happens?

8 hours ago, remkin said:

Dream no more Ryazan!!! Now we have to figure out postage!

YES, we have a WINNER.

RyazanCaniac!!!  :applaud::clapper::applause::woohoo:

He didn't need the bonus point either.

He got all three stars of the game right, and won the attendance bonus points too.

Thanks to all that played. And the team won too!

runner up: Hag!

Now we just need to get one of those hats that got thrown onto the ice in the fake-out hat trick, and send it to Ryazan.

Awesome!  I'm glad he won, I already got my hat at the game :)  Congrats!

1 hour ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Thanks! Btw, what do they usually do with them when a real hat trick happens?

They put them aside for board contests. :D

Just kidding, just kidding. Congrats for the win!!

So who did get the check of the game?  The belt/ax? (I'd guess it had to be Skinner)  And the announced attendance? Is it even possible to find that on the Canes website anymore? I think the rest of the answers can be found in the box score. 

2 hours ago, RNT82 said:

Congrats Ryazan!

Side note, since it wasn't a real hat trick, what are the canes going to do with all those hats thrown on the ice?

They have a good start for another hat giveaway.

I never found out, but Ryazan won by 4 points so it didn't matter.

Goal: Skinner

Second Goal: Skinner

Face Offs: Jordan (at 72%, this guy is a beast in the circle)

Total goals: 3 (only one person got this right)

Three Stars: Skinner, Ward, Rask

Save % .933 decidedly above .900

Worst+/-: TT was the only - player at -1

SOG: Jordan 5

Jersey add up (mutliples counted once): Skinner 53 plus Bickell 29 = 82

Attendance: 18,680

Shots allowed 30

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Congrats Ryazan!  Looks like you've now got a Canes hat collection! 

Thanks! I do have a small one. Total of 5. But one of them is by Bud, I wear only at the beach when playing volleyball. And this giveaway hat looks pretty awesome. By the way, is the 2006 championship hat made by New Era?

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

So who did get the check of the game? 

Seems like it wasn't featured on the broadcast.