The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

2017 NHL Draft Thread

Only clear #1, Nolan Patrick because he has NHL size already. Nico Hirscher may have more skill than Patrick (different scouting reports say opposing things) but will take a season or two to get his physique ready to take an NHL pounding. Many Centers in the top 8 with 1 dman.  The dman has better O skills than D skills, Liljegren. All of the remaining top 8 Cs have the potential to be top 6. Kristian Vesalainen seems like our type of pick. Hes Scandinavian, under the radar type pick, great hockey sense, and polished.  Hes projected to be a mid first round pick. 

At best we could get the 4th pick this year.  Could get a huge 2 way center in Rasmussen, 6'5 front of the net bruiser.  Or could stay with Scandinavians and get Dman Valimarki.  Plays a great 2 way game and is Finnish.  Thats all the Canes need to draft him.

On 10/31/2016 at 2:51 PM, bluedevil58 said:

So what do the top 5 picks look like this season?  If memory serves me right, there really isn't an elite prospect this time around.  Am I incorrect with this assumption?

Quit being lazy and do your own research. 

• Like 1

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-com-top-75-prospects-february/

Our February rankings are finally here and things remain the same in our top three. Nolan Patrick, Nico Hischier and Casey Mittelstadt hold down their spots from last month. Meanwhile, Gabs Vilardi jumps up one spot from 5th to 4th on our list. Elias Pettersson slips from 4th overall to the 5th spot.

Martin Necas holds onto his number six spot on our list but new at number seven overall is Cody Glass from Portland in the WHL. Glass is followed by a tight grouping of three defensemen with Timothy Liljegren, Cale Makar Miro Heiskanen rounding out our top 10.

cont in link

10 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I hope we lose enough to get one of the top 3.  The question then  is whether we trade that pick to try and acquire a top line forward or starting goalie.

We won't be trading a top three pick on a starting goalie unless his name is Carey Price. And we all know that ain't happening. If we have a top three pick, even in this weaker draft, we will use it. The talent available in the top three would still have been top 10 last year and still remains cost-controlled for years to come. Given everything that Francis has said up to this point, and everything he has done, I'd put a lot of money on us keeping such a pick.

Edited by MinJaBen

It's interesting you say this.  When I first got into following hockey, you had guys like : Hasek, Cujo, Brodeur, and Roy.  I considered these guys elite goalies or close to elite.  Now all you have is Carey Price and MAYBE Luongo.  I wonder what happened in the down trend of elite goalies over the years.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

It's interesting you say this.  When I first got into following hockey, you had guys like : Hasek, Cujo, Brodeur, and Roy.  I considered these guys elite goalies or close to elite.  Now all you have is Carey Price and MAYBE Luongo.  I wonder what happened in the down trend of elite goalies over the years.

They started enforcing defensive interference calls. They took out the Red line.

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Really?!? Only Price and Luongo? How about Holtby? Or Lundquist? Crawford also doesn't get what he deserves in recognition. Schneider is also elite, though this year has been tough. And there are some very good young goalies in Jones and Murray that may get to elite status in the near future.