The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TheAmericanStriker

Goalies

3 minutes ago, TheAmericanStriker said:

I think Lack definitely has the potential to be a good NHL goal tender. 

Maybe so but he hasn't shown it yet. when he gets his next chance in net he is going to need and take charge

Interesting note.  I know there was some hope we would find a way to get Fredrick Anderson via free agency or Ben Bishop/Marc-Andre Fleury via trade.  At the time of this post, Cam Ward (.912) has a better save percentage than all of them.  I know the season is still early, but me thinks we ride this Cam Ward wave as long as we can.  

13 hours ago, OBXer said:

Maybe so but he hasn't shown it yet. when he gets his next chance in net he is going to need and take charge

I'm sure he'll get his chances in December and early January. It's the toughest stretch of the season for us with 20 games in 44 days, including seven B2Bs with a west coast to east coast swing and the longest break we have is 4 days (over Xmas).    

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Interesting note.  I know there was some hope we would find a way to get Fredrick Anderson via free agency or Ben Bishop/Marc-Andre Fleury via trade.  At the time of this post, Cam Ward (.912) has a better save percentage than all of them.  I know the season is still early, but me thinks we ride this Cam Ward wave as long as we can.  

I believe you can add Brian Elliott to your list as well.  Maybe Tulsky wasn't so crazy after all when he suggested not overpaying for a goalie because, except for the truly elite, they are all so variable from year to year.

I will use this thread to make this point.

As it stands Francis was right....again. I was right there in full panic mode with the slow start, but recently Cam is on fire. Remember his .912 save percentage absorbs a lot of really ugly games from earlier. They put a stat up last night, that Cams' save % in November is something like .947 (if you have the stat correct me, I'm stabbing at it here).

If Cam keeps that up, and there were three full months last year where he did, anything is possible. It was pointed out by someone else (sorry I can't remember who) that Cam just stole back one of the games he gave away. Indeed. He's done it a couple of times now.

If we had to try to go find a goalie right now, in a panic, we'd overpay, and possibly not even be better off. With the caveat that it can go away, at least right now, major bullet dodged. If Francis had a hankering to make a move now, he can look at forwards, and even then can take his time.

This team was falling so fast with the bad goalie play, and the ground was coming up quickly. Francis calm hand on the stick and Cam finding his game to vindicate that came in the knick of time. 

Now I want to get greedy and get some good games from Eddie too.

If I was going to nit pick, (which means I'm about to) I think Cam needs to stop taking the charge on goalie interference. This is not basketball. He's gone down twice this year, and both times they put the puck in the freebee goal" wide open net. No penalty. The goal stands. Cam needs to start standing. That ploy is not working.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

If I was going to nit pick, (which means I'm about to) I think Cam needs to stop taking the charge on goalie interference. This is not basketball. He's gone down twice this year, and both times they put the puck in the freebee goal" wide open net. No penalty. The goal stands. Cam needs to start standing. That ploy is not working.

If i have any complaint with Ward at all last night it's that.  We all know Peters likes his coach's challenges, but that's twice he's done it only to support Ward, and both times it went against us.  Don't be Sidney Crosby back there complaining if anyone touches you - just stop the puck.  But again, that's the only possible complaint i can have with him over the past few games.  Otherwise he's been spectacular.

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If i have any complaint with Ward at all last night it's that.  We all know Peters likes his coach's challenges, but that's twice he's done it only to support Ward, and both times it went against us.  Don't be Sidney Crosby back there complaining if anyone touches you - just stop the puck.  But again, that's the only possible complaint i can have with him over the past few games.  Otherwise he's been spectacular.

It's possible that Ward didn't know that Hanifin pushed the Hab into him.  It's a very good point that the Canes shouldn't be wasting the challenge/ time out, but it seems like the players need to be talking to the coach.  Hanifin should have mentioned to Peters (and surreptitiously to Ward) that we would likely lose a challenge because of his check.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

But just like with diving. Don't go down to try to draw the call. The one from earlier, I'm not as sure about, but last night it sure looked like Ward felt contact and went down pretty easy. Probably better to just fight through unless you're really hit hard enough to knock you over.

How does the picking order go again? Points percent? The Kings were rumored to be exploring a trade for him. They have more points than us, but are exactly the same in points per game. Wonder if Lack has any trade value at all. Might we waive Lack?

Rem, on both the plays Cam went down, an opposing player was pushed into him by one of our defenseman (I believe Hainsey was the culprit the first time and the second time it was definitely Hanifan). On television, it sure looked to me like the contact was substantial enough that Cam could not avoid going down. And he was really pissed both times - it did not seem like a dive to me. I never played hockey, and I know the defenseman are supposed to clear opposing players in front of the crease, but in both cases, it looked to me like our player shoved the opposing player right into Cam. I viewed it as an unfortunate and unintended consequence of a defenseman trying to do his job in a crowded area. But whoever is responsible, we need to stop doing it.

The goalie stance is built around being able to close the 5 hole in less then 1 second. With their legs at 45 degree angles (Lundy in a much deeper stance) literally 200 lbs of goalie is being held up by a 1mm sharpened blade at a angle no less. It doesn't take much to make them fall, any of them. Yea it looks like a dive because of how ridiculously easy it can be to tip them over, but they makes saves because of how easily they can fall to their knees. So when someone taps them, the house of cards their already standing on comes crumbling down every time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

The goalie stance is built around being able to close the 5 hole in less then 1 second. With their legs at 45 degree angles (Lundy in a much deeper stance) literally 200 lbs of goalie is being held up by a 1mm sharpened blade at a angle no less. It doesn't take much to make them fall, any of them. Yea it looks like a dive because of how ridiculously easy it can be to tip them over, but they makes saves because of how easily they can fall to their knees. So when someone taps them, the house of cards their already standing on comes crumbling down every time. 

Spoken by someone who has played the position.  Thumbs up

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Don't know why would not give Hammond a shot?

He had a spectacular run 2 seasons ago (.941 s%) but that was only 24 games and if you look at his overall resume who knows if you're getting a legitimate NHL goalie or one who had one great hot streak?   Last year in 24 games his s% was a pretty average .914, and in 2 games this year he's given up 6 goals on only 29 shots (.793).  But the biggest cautionary indicator to me is his AHL record: a seasons worth of games (74) but a below average .904% save percentage.  If we've completely given up on Lack as even a backup I could perhaps see taking a flier on Hammond, but I think that's what it would be, a flier.  Obviously just one man's opinion, and an opinion based on nothing but raw stats, at that.   

edit: I'd also want to look very carefully at the details of his apparent refusal to accept an AHL conditioning stint before considering him.

Edited by LakeLivin

I never played the position, and I am surely not convinced I'm right. But the couple of views I had in light of having watched a fair amount of hockey, just looked like felt the contact and went down easy. When I re watched the game on TV, Trip, who did play goalie, pretty much said the same thing. Also, it's happened twice this year already.

Cam arguing the call doesn't really prove anything since he would argue the call if he flopped too.

I don't know. I'm just noting it, and offering that IF it is a strategy, it doesn't seem to be working.