The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
raleighcaniac

Relocation Speculation

What does any Canes fan get outta discussing this besides ulcers? Yea it's a higher possibility then most other teams, we get it...thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

What does any Canes fan get outta discussing this besides ulcers? Yea it's a higher possibility then most other teams, we get it...thanks. 

Ehhhhhxxxxactly. Those who need something more than the everyday concerns which already occupy enough of life as it is - and which Hurricanes hockey helps me forget about - you now have a place to do it. Enjoy. If you're looking for me, I'll be anywhere but here. 

NHL Attendance for each team after 10 home games

Chicago 21,595 109.5 21,638 21,439 21,414
Montreal 21,288 100.1 21,288 21,287 21,273
Detroit 20,027 100.0 20,027 20,027 20,066
Philadelphia 19,550 100.1 19,274 19,771 19,961
Toronto 19,239 102.2 19,309 19,163 19,409
Tampa Bay 19,092 100.0 19,092 18,585 18,167
Minnesota 18,982 105.7 19,003 18,894 17,985
Pittsburgh 18,521 100.7 18,512 18,638 18,595
Washington 18,506 100.0 18,506 18,506 18,506
Calgary 18,500 95.9 19,111 19,045 19,289
Dallas 18,386 99.2 18,030 16,841 15,703
St. Louis 18,273 95.4 18,380 17,472 16,644
Edmonton 18,347 98.4 16,839 16,839 16,794
Los Angeles 18,252 100.1 18,230 18,258 18,118
Buffalo 18,239 95.6 18,070 18,243 18,372
Vancouver 18,205 96.3 18,393 18,645 18,910
NY Rangers 18,064 100.3 18,006 18,006 18,006
Boston 17,565 100.0 17,565 17,565 17,565
San Jose 17,495 99.6 16,537 17,411 17,562
Nashville 17,170 100.3 17,126 16,853 16,605
Winnipeg 17,089 126.6 15,294 15,016 15,004
Anaheim 15,892 92.5 16,246 16,459 15,389
Colorado 15,422 85.6 16,218 15,439 16,335
Ottawa 15,069 78.7 17,625 18,269 17,739
Florida 14,091 82.7 11,547 8,981 13,832
Columbus 13,743 75.7 14,086 15,708 14,269
NY Islanders 12,390 78.3 12,188 13,608 12,842
New Jersey 14,394 87.2 13,601 14,897 14,180
Arizona 13,084 76.4 12,937 13,062 12,414
Carolina 10,969 58.7 11,137 11,962 15,440

For local sustainability this team desperately needs to make the playoffs this season; sell some playoff tix and generate some interest to help next seasons ticket sales.  In terms of actual bodies in seats and not including the stacked home opener I don't think we're averaging 10,000 game, which is real disappointing. There have been a few games I've been at that I'm not sure there were even 8,500. Winning at home is everything but increasing attendance is like turning the Queen Mary, it takes time. Playoffs would really help.

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

For local sustainability

If you possess some inside information about PK's "local sustainability" research, plans, or intentions, please share it.

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's year 3 of the rebuild.  I'm not complaining.  The fans will be back, and I'm confident of that.

I'm looking forward to the World Junior tourney.  The Canes may have two prospects on Canada's top line (Roy, Gauthier), with three in their lineup (including Jake Bean), and Kuok will play on Finland's top line.

Starts Dec 26.

I fear we may not  get to see these guys become NHL stars here in Raleigh.  By time their ready to come up and the Canes have become a serious competitor, we will have relocated.  Can't lose money every single year and expect them to stay here.  I hope not and I'm not trying to start a relocation debate, It just seems obvious that the fan base has died with 7 years of garbage play and will have to move somewhere profitable.  It will be a sad day that I hope doesn't really happen.  attendance has to increase now. 

There are certainly a lot of tea leaves you could read that cause concern. If PK had an offer from a solid ownership group in a good market in the west, I'd really be concerned. Maybe he does, who knows. Moving to QC does not address the geographic imbalance of the league, and does not bring any increase in likely new hockey fans - in Quebec, I'm sure hockey is already the #1 sport for television viewing. My guess is that once an Eastern team relocates to the west, the NHL would have no reason not to give QC an expansion team. This is just speculation, but so is everything on this topic. I do believe in what the team is doing, and if it can hang around one or two more years, I believe we will have a solid playoff team that the area deserves to lose if greater support does not materialize. The league went so far as to buy the Coyotes for 3 years to keep hockey in Phoenix. The Raleigh/Triangle area is one of the fastest growing in the country and has proved in the past it could support hockey. There is so much more potential to grow the fan base for hockey here than anywhere in Canada. I'm keeping my hopes up and backing them up by going to games when I can.

• Like 1

I still don't know why the NHL doesn't just put the Canes in the West - they're kind of out here in no man's land and the AHL already has Charlotte in the West.  Has nothing to do with relocation, but the league can make it work if they want to, without teams having to move.

edit -  Actually it's all irrelevant with Vegas coming in... no matter what happens, one conference is going to be one short until they add a 32nd team.  But they could add it in the east and slide someone over.

Edited by realmdrakkar

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I still don't know why the NHL doesn't just put the Canes in the West ....

Don't think I would like that. That would mean 9:00pm to 10:30pm start time for the majority of the games ...

just saying

31 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Don't think I would like that. That would mean 9:00pm to 10:30pm start time for the majority of the games ...

just saying

Half the games would be home games.

Realm, just saw your post about moving the Canes to the West. As I recall, there were rumors that this might happen when the NHL realigned from 6 divisions to 4. Not sure if it was really ever considered by the league. In addition to what's been posted already, Western Conference opponents are not nearly as attractive to Canes fans. As much as it gripes us all to see big numbers of fans for the Rangers, Caps, Pens, etc. those are butts in the seats that help our already anemic attendance. You will not see thousands of fans coming out to see the Western Canada teams. Likewise the California teams. For a change of pace, I like seeing western teams, but give me a steady diet of the Rags, Flyers, Pens, Caps, Isles and Wings. Heck, I even like to see the Florida teams. If you're going that route (moving an eastern team to the west), send Columbus. They got in last, and they are just as close for the travel. In reality, no team from the east is switching conferences unless some team gets relocated. Hopefully it's not us.

• Like 1

Clearly the plan to bring in the "crowd"  drawing teams has not helped.  I like seeing them too but all these extra fans for these games do  not go to many other games.   

Win and poeple will come.  They really wasted a lot of years.  They buiilt a nice fan base up with the early playoff runs and now there is still a lot of hardcore fans around but they neede and now really need a few more playoff runs to get the consistent seat filling they want to see.  

Many blame Rutherford I don't know who's fault it really is that's definitely why attendance is down.  It won't matter who the "great" teams they play are, or what  awful  goal song is used, or  what shirt promotion they offer.  

A few playoff runs will get the job done.  I like the direction of the team.  I m optimistic.  

They will be that team. maybe  not this year but soon. (I haven't given up his year yet )  I am  thinking it will all happen in time to keep them here but if not I'll enjoy the team as long s I can.  To me there is nothing in the Raleigh area that is as fun to attend.  

Relocation talk is like talking politics but worse because we don't even get a vote.  ?

Go canes 

#canesRhome

Edited by caryhurricanes

If the Canes become a "Western Conference" team before the Red Wings are switched back to that conference, what many of us already know - that Gary Bettman is completely without clue - will only be further verified.

21 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Fairly sure you can't split 31 teams evenly no matter what you do?

Besides which, Bettman is repeatedly on record as saying evening out the divisions is not a priority. 

On 11/18/2016 at 1:19 PM, LakeLivin said:

But you missed my main point, which is that no matter who owns the team they can't relocate it without approval of the league, and the league has said that it wants the team in Raleigh. I'm not going to bet my life on Bettman not reversing his stance, but look at it from the other owners perspective: where do you see bigger potential long term growth for the league, out of Quebec or out of the US south? And imo the league has already show a pretty strong commitment to the big picture (expanding the market) given what went down in Arizona. 

Two words : Atlanta Thashers

Been in NYC for the last few days.  Was thinking about hitting up a hockey game last night, and both the islanders and rangers were in town.  The cheapest Rangers ticket was $195 per person, and that was nosebleeds.  You could sit lower level at the islanders game for $35, which is cheaper than going to a Hurricanes game.

Barclay's Center is in a golden place.  It's directly off the subway, so you don't have to worry about parking.  It's a very short train ride from most of Brooklyn, as well as lower Manhattan.  And if they still can't fill up despite low prices and convenient transportation, maybe they should move 

Last night in post game interviews I heard two different players praise the crowd and openly say it would be nice if more people came out. Not sure what it means, just that it happened.

43 minutes ago, remkin said:

Last night in post game interviews I heard two different players praise the crowd and openly say it would be nice if more people came out. Not sure what it means, just that it happened.

Raleigh is pretty much the Vegas of the east for the NHL, in terms of its fan base of working people. Our fan base is comprised mostly of transplants who love hockey, and our single-game sales are a combo of (1) STHs who couldn't justify the expense anymore after so many seasons of mediocrity, and (2) fans of opposing teams who have either come in for the game or who live here and bust out their teams' sweaters.

IMO the NHL has clearly decided it's a viable business model; after all, how many native Nevadans are likely to be hockey fans? The main difference is their single-game sales will come from tourists, and their STH sales will be from hotels/tourist-related industries seeking to comp visitors. 

TBL (and in the west, Arizona) is where retired (versus working) fans from traditional markets watch hockey, and Miami only works (to the extent that it does) thanks to a bumpersticker you can sometimes spot on the cars of So FL natives: "HAPPINESS IS 100,000 CANADIANS HEADED NORTH, WITH A NEW YORKER UNDER EACH ARM." This refers to the six-month limit on Canadian "snowbirds" who drag their RVs to South FL every winter, and to the big-money New Yorkers who colonize condos in Palm Beach and South Beach and the islands around Miami for the winter, and seek distractions other than Jai-Alai and dog tracks. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Here's what Ward said:  "What a crowd. It was great to see what appeared to be a full building. Now everyone leaves happy too."

Attendance was listed at just shy of 13k, so I wonder if it appeared "full" in large part as a contrast to the 8k crowds we've been getting?