The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
raleighcaniac

Relocation Speculation

I have been avoiding this topic after reading PK was now willing to sell all of the franchise prompting new speculation on Carolina to Quebec or another location. Now Bettman has weighed in and at least what he says is encouraging, at least to me.

Bettman: Carolina Hurricanes not under threat of relocation GREG BEACHAM (AP Hockey Writer)

''Peter may sell, he may not sell,'' Bettman said. ''He may sell all of it. He may sell some of it. He may sell none of it. There's no formal sale process going on. There's no imperative for the franchise to be sold on any immediate basis, and the franchise is not moving. I hope that was definitive enough.''

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly echoed Bettman's comments later, saying the league is committed to Raleigh in the same manner it has stuck with Phoenix

4 minutes ago, JoeMcGrath79 said:

Nice 1st post. Go troll somewhere else.

Once again, no team is going to relocate anywhere until there is one more expansion team in the west.  There is too much free money on the table for the owners in expansion fees.

as long as they don't move, new ownership might be a good thing. A new owner with a commitment to winning, and the ability to get some free agents would be very welcome.

Yeah there's not really much new in there except this, if I'm reading it right. Previously Karmonos was offering the somewhat ridiculous offer of selling the majority of the team, but retaining control. Seems like he's realizing that many potential buyers aren't interested in owning something they don't control, and seems to be dropping that contingency.

For us, at this point, it's all about moving, not ownership. It would be nice if some local billionare wanted in. Whoever bought the team now would likely get in on the eventual second expansion fee too, which will add value while we try to build attendance.

I will say that this all points out the need to make the playoffs, ideally this year. It also points out the need to bring in at least one player who can sell tickets too. Hmmmm. I wonder if a trade is out there....

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, JoeMcGrath79 said:

I have a feeling that a this is their last season in Raleigh...

We are well aware of Quebec view. I think at moment we are more interested in the Bettman view.  Sale or not he just said the Canes aren't going anywhere.

I am not trolling this is simply my opinion. 

This looks a lot like the history of the Atlanta trashers.

We'll see who's right in april or may, as soon as the hurricanes are officially out of the playoffs or after the 1st round.

2 minutes ago, JoeMcGrath79 said:

We'll see who's right in april or may, as soon as the hurricanes are officially out of the playoffs or after the 1st round.

Fair enough Joe.. I know business positions change, I know sometimes owners don't always tell the complete truth and I know, heck we all know that sports is sometime less than loyal to its fans but here is the deal. You have had the NHL commissioner twice in the same year saying that the Canes aren't moving sale or no sale. You now have the Deputy Commissioners talking about the importance of the market and saying they won't move, even comparing salvation in Raleigh to the Yotes. I'm cynical by nature but even l  can't see both these guys stating this as a fact and then back tracking later.

But your right will see

9 minutes ago, JoeMcGrath79 said:

I know you really really want a team and it had to be frustrating if you heard the interview with Bettman last night where he was asked about more expansion and he said, "why not just be happy where we are?" No need to add another team. Which means no team in Quebec any time soon. I guess that means looking at someone else's team and we're a most obvious target. If it gets you though the winter.

But there's really no new news. So what do you get out of coming in here and bringing this up? Doesn't get a team to Quebec. Sort of just riling things up in here for the sake of it. Pretty much fits the definition of trolling, eh?

I would love to have a new owner in Raleigh. PK has not demonstrated any real interest in additional investments for this team. Low budget hockey at it's finest.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:35 PM, JoeMcGrath79 said:

I think you mean the Quebec Nordiques.

Thanks for sharing. See ya.

Edited by top-shelf-1

The Triangle certainly has its share of very wealthy people, but I don't know about billionaires. But we don't need a local owner to keep the team here. Jeff Vinik, who bought the Lightning, made a fortune managing a mutual fund. Someone like that, who would make the Canes a cap team and not a budget team could put us over the hump quickly. Better results will equal better attendance and frankly, an owner willing to spend comparable to most of the league should get us to the promised land with all the young talent in the organization. I think I've read that the Triangle is one of the 5 fastest growing markets in the country. Its Bettman's support that matters, because as long as te league wants a team here, it will not matter who owns it. So if you take him at his word, we're good.

For better or worse, this franchise needs to move on from PK, IMO.  As a long-time paying customer I'm tired of the limbo.  And in that regard I take the latest "news" as good news.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 2:35 PM, JoeMcGrath79 said:

I'm from Atlanta, and this is not similar to the Thrashers' sitaution AT ALL.

If the NHL was able to find sincerely committed ownership from perennially losing franchises in Arizona and Florida, why couldn't they do the same for the Canes? You could argue the market is better here (given population growth and continued economical developments) and we have actually won in the past? I'm actually fairly optimistic, especially since the NHL can't afford to lose Carolina as a market.

9 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

New York Islanders now attracting lots of speculation about relocation?

I'm sure it is because of that report JCLA posted

It certainly isn't the first time the Islanders have been targeted by the Quebec crowd. I read the Isanders were looking at building a new barn on Long Island. Maybe this changes something but I will believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, ThrashCanes said:

I'm from Atlanta, and this is not similar to the Thrashers' sitaution AT ALL.

Thank you ThrashCanes for clarifying that, I didn't think so, but certainly am no authority like you seem to be? My recollection was that the scene at that arena, and correct me if I'm wrong please, was extremely cut throat, very dissimilar to the relationship, with little squabbling about the fair and occasional BB games, that the Canes enjoy here.

What continually resonates with me in this entire matter over "relocation" is the "centralness" that Carolina enjoys between venues in Boston, New York, and New Jersey linking Florida along this east coast. Throw in vibrancy of the triangle, and IF this team can solidfy its relevancy, and you've created a vibrant market, which fortunately or unfortunately(depending on one's viewpoint and tolerance of drunks) attracts the "snow bunnies" from the smug north climes. Now compare that to any other area in this country, and one sees relatively easy driving accessibility!! Now compare that to the places that the NHL has gone out on a limb to protect-- Arizona, stuck out in the desert, and Florida, a temperature nightmare and now even NY Islanders with the looming nightmare vs Barclay's--- and I just don't see that relocating the Canes makes sense, unless one views things thru biased Canadian eyes. So, we'll continue to get the "trolls" who enjoy stirring up, and have resented our projected image of "Nascar" and "Mayberry", but when this team turns it around, and I think that time is near, attendance will blossom, much to the chagrin of "haters", IMHO.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thank you ThrashCanes for clarifying that, I didn't think so, but certainly am no authority like you seem to be? My recollection was that the scene at that arena, and correct me if I'm wrong please, was extremely cut throat, very dissimilar to the relationship, with little squabbling about the fair and occasional BB games, that the Canes enjoy here.

What continually resonates with me in this entire matter over "relocation" is the "centralness" that Carolina enjoys between venues in Boston, New York, and New Jersey linking Florida along this east coast. Throw in vibrancy of the triangle, and IF this team can solidfy its relevancy, and you've created a vibrant market, which fortunately or unfortunately(depending on one's viewpoint and tolerance of drunks) attracts the "snow bunnies" from the smug north climes. Now compare that to any other area in this country, and one sees relatively easy driving accessibility!! Now compare that to the places that the NHL has gone out on a limb to protect-- Arizona, stuck out in the desert, and Florida, a temperature nightmare and now even NY Islanders with the looming nightmare vs Barclay's--- and I just don't see that relocating the Canes makes sense, unless one views things thru biased Canadian eyes. So, we'll continue to get the "trolls" who enjoy stirring up, and have resented our projected image of "Nascar" and "Mayberry", but when this team turns it around, and I think that time is near, attendance will blossom, much to the chagrin of "haters", IMHO.

I could discuss how hockey didn't fail in Atlanta, the NHL (i.e. ownership) failed the city of Atlanta, but in the interest of time, one of the huge differentiators with the Thrashers was their ownership (the Atlanta Spirit Group), which by the way, has largely been labeled in the professional sports-world as the most dysfunctional ownership groups in the history of sports, were trying to unload the Thrashers as an individual entity. No one in their right mind was going to bite at that offer. Selling a franchise that lost money time and time again since their inception in the late 90s, and they wanted to tell prospective owners: "hey, here's a losing business interest, and we're not giving you any ownership stake in Philips Arena." You need to own the arena to stay solvent financially - to have revenue sources from the other 324 days of the year, or you're going to fail in the long-run.

Also, at a game two years ago I was in the box-office area, and I saw Don Waddell. I actually had the chance to talk with him for around 20 minutes to discuss what went wrong in Atlanta, and how his hands were ultimately tied. Ownership screwed him. He expressed how things in Raleigh were (and still are, I'm sure) entirely different.

Here are my main points about the differences between the Canes and Thrashers' situations:

-The Canes have a history of winning and success in their culture (Atlanta had one playoff appearance and was swept by NYR)

-No team that's won the Stanley Cup has ever been relocated (also two Cup Finals appearances)

-The Canes are in a vibrant, growing metropolitan area that will only get better as the years go on (Atlanta is a notoriously terrible sports town)

-The Canes have ownership and operating rights to PNC Arena (we would be profitable even with marginally better attendance)

-The NHL found owners with no ties to the local communities in Arizona and Florida, and I'm confident they can do the same in one of the fastest growing markets in the entire U.S.

-Bottom Line: the NHL can't afford to lose the Carolina market - it would be detrimental to growth of the game in the entire Southeast region of the U.S.

Edited by ThrashCanes
  • Like 9

I have to agree Thrash. Maybe one of the most "liked" posts since we started counting. Great point all.

I really think that the honest approach for the NHL to approve any move from Raleigh would be to see what attendance would look like if we had a winning team. Unfortunately this year's team started out in a big hole, and has been listed near the bottom of the standings much of the year, having dug a hole. Their relative success from Nov 12 on has been obscured by how hard it is to climb in the standings with the NHL's point's system. Then, just as momentum was building, and we were in every game and winning most of them....we fell way back for the last 5 games and got back to hole digging.

This is the nature of NHL teams in general, but especially a young, rebuilding team, but it does not qualify as a winner yet.

Anyways, to the casual fan or potential new fan, we're still just a bottom half mediocre at best team, and those are the future ticket buyers.

If this team starts competing for the cup a few years in a row and attendance stays bad? Go ahead and move. That wouldn't happen though.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1