The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
raleighcaniac

Relocation Speculation

1 hour ago, canes2017 said:

36 minute mark( talking about canes relocation)

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18590966

That was a very interesting interview. Matter of fact without any outlandish claims. I didn't like some of the assessment but overall I think the assessment was fair and probable as close to the truth of the situation as one can get in a discussion.

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That was a very interesting interview. Matter of fact without any outlandish claims. I didn't like some of the assessment but overall I think the assessment was fair and probable as close to the truth of the situation as one can get in a discussion.

Yep.  Gave kudos about the AllStar game here and how the fan base is good, but we have a <crummy> product which is hurting.

The part you didn't like, probably, was the speculation about a flip to Seattle with subsequent expansion to Quebec because those Canadians will PAY BIG.  But they guarded it all very well without outlandish claims.  Agree.

17 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The part you didn't like, probably, was the speculation about a flip to Seattle with subsequent expansion to Quebec because those Canadians will PAY BIG.  But they guarded it all very well without outlandish claims.  Agree.

Exactly the part I didn't like because it was a very plausible scenario. But they previously pointed out what appears to be the commitment by the NHL to keep the franchise in Raleigh. All in all I remain confident.

Alright the Islander are probable getting the boot from Brooklyn leading to relocation speculation although probable in the NYC metro market and now the new arena deal in Arizona is dead.

Nevertheless, the Coyotes are committed to the Valley for the long term, and we will continue to explore other options that will ensure a successful future for the team and our fans. We're a determined bunch - on the ice and off the ice. We intend to do everything we can to keep NHL hockey here in Arizona.

We aren't alone anymore..there are now plenty of targets for the Quebec crowd  ;)

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

Alright the Islander are probable getting the boot from Brooklyn leading to relocation speculation although probable in the NYC metro market and now the new arena deal in Arizona is dead.

We aren't alone anymore..there are now plenty of targets for the Quebec crowd  ;)

I can't imagine how the NHL would let a team from the West move East. The Islanders and the Canes are still the most logical candidates to fill QC's desire for a new team...and I agree with you that the Islanders probably stay in the NYC metro area.

3 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I can't imagine how the NHL would let a team from the West move East. The Islanders and the Canes are still the most logical candidates to fill QC's desire for a new team...and I agree with you that the Islanders probably stay in the NYC metro area.

I don't see either of those teams moving out of market but still it is nice for relocation trolls to have options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

I'll tell you what Western team is a great candidate: The Avs. Lacroix is reportedly interested in coming back as GM and Roy is very probably pushing for his return behind the scenes (so he, Roy, could come back and exert further dysfunction as coach). Who better than two Francophones to take the franchise back from whence it came, to QC?

But is Colorado still supporting their team? I don't know. But Canes, Islanders and Coyotes are 3 of the bottom 4 teams in attendance currently. I'm guessing Florida is the 4th team at the bottom of this list. But these things change (well maybe not in Arizona or Florida). Remember that pre-Sydney Crosby the Penguins attendance was so bad it was assumed they would relocate. 

If we put a winner on the ice and the fans don't show up, then I will buy the relocation speculation.  We've put crap on the ice every year but one since the cup and the attendance reflects that.  This market will support a competitive team.  That has been proven.  But we are not a market where the fans will show up no matter the product on the ice.  

So in short, I'm not buying the relocation rumors unless we are consistently good and still not drawing people.

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

But is Colorado still supporting their team? I don't know. But Canes, Islanders and Coyotes are 3 of the bottom 4 teams in attendance currently. I'm guessing Florida is the 4th team at the bottom of this list. But these things change (well maybe not in Arizona or Florida). Remember that pre-Sydney Crosby the Penguins attendance was so bad it was assumed they would relocate. 

They're averaging 15k in an 18k arena. Way better than us, but they also haven't felt the full effect of STH's dropping off, which could hit very hard this off-season. Given their history with QC, knowing they could sell out there every night for at least two years, regardless how good the hockey is, could be quite an enticement. And Roy is such a conniving somebody I can totally see him working on it.

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They're averaging 15k in an 18k arena. Way better than us, but they also haven't felt the full effect of STH's dropping off, which could hit very hard this off-season. Given their history with QC, knowing they could sell out there every night for at least two years, regardless how good the hockey is, could be quite an enticement. And Roy is such a conniving somebody I can totally see him working on it.

Top-shelf-1, our resident conspiracy theorist. :lol:

We aren't alone anymore. I'm sure hockey fans in Arizona thought everything was settled and now this

Report: Arizona Coyotes Exploring Possible Relocation To The Pacific Northwest  

According to a  report from the Glendale Star, the Coyotes have begun sniffing around (biology term) Portland and Seattle and reps from the team have toured arenas in both cities.

For their part, the Coyotes denied the report.

On 2/8/2017 at 7:17 PM, OBXer said:

We aren't alone anymore. I'm sure hockey fans in Arizona thought everything was settled and now this

Report: Arizona Coyotes Exploring Possible Relocation To The Pacific Northwest  

Yes, and this is bad news for us. Bill Daly previously said that they were committed to Raleigh "in the same way they were committed to Phoenix." But if the Coyotes move on their own accord after what the NHL did to jump in and save them? They wouldn't do that again. I dunno, I see a bubble bursting. The voices from cities like Quebec are getting louder and louder. Cities that have no business even being in the conversation like Hartford and Oklahoma City are making noise. Hearing all that ridiculous stuff means that they're going to have to throw Quebec a bone.

Edited by NashvilleCane

6 hours ago, NashvilleCane said:

Yes, and this is bad news for us. Bill Daly previously said that they were committed to Raleigh "in the same way they were committed to Phoenix." But if the Coyotes move on their own accord after what the NHL did to jump in and save them? They wouldn't do that again. I dunno, I see a bubble bursting. The voices from cities like Quebec are getting louder and louder. Cities that have no business even being in the conversation like Hartford and Oklahoma City are making noise. Hearing all that ridiculous stuff means that they're going to have to throw Quebec a bone.

I don't think Arizona and the Canes are similar at all, or bad for the Canes. Arizona is more similar to the Thrashers in that they don't have an arena deal and are desperately looking for a place to play. The reason they don't have the deal is that the city of Glendale took away the team's rights to manage the stadium, an arrangement that was similar to what Gale Force Holdings has here in Raleigh. If that had not happened, they'd be happy to stay right where they are. This is similar to the Atlanta situation. Our situation is completely different. The Canes have a great arena deal with a municipality that is looking into upgrading the current facility to make it even better. I can see Arizona moving because they run out of options for a new arena. And if they do move to the Pacific Northwest, I think that makes our situation even better as that eliminates one of the two best candidate locations for a second expansion team to get to 32 teams. If that happens, there is almost no way I see the league letting their other best location, QC, take a team from another location before just letting them pay the $500M to start a new team.

• Like 2