The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Ranking The Prospects: An ongoing effort.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, gocanes0506 said:

7 Mattheos- im excited to see him get a tryout contract after his Juniors season is over. Could be a great add for Charlotte with 2-3 weeks before the playoffs start.

Just signed entry level deal, will start with Charlotte. I agree, this guy had a great Junior career. Interesting to see how he does on the #1 team in the AHL.

Changes

My ratings (skaters)

1 Necas- finished the AHL season strong and carrying it into the playoffs.  Top 5 scorer in his first season. 60+% to make the roster next season 

2. Bean- really strong season. Big scorer and improved on defense. 50% chance of making the roster.

3 Geekie- huge riser this season. Big point getter, strong play, and handled every position and situation well.  35% roster shot. I feel like it is higher but he has to beat out a ton of roster forwards to get a shot. 

4 Sellgren- Biggest riser by far. Looks like the defensive corps just got deeper and Canes got a steal in the 6th round. In his rookie year in Sweden’s top league he was the rock on the SHL’s top defense. All situations defender, smooth skater. He got a tryout contract for the AHL even. Has one year left on his contract.

5 Kuok- good scorer, hopefully he recovers from his injury

6 Gauthier- doing much better this season in all areas. Still needs more consistency.

7 Mattheos- im excited to see him get a tryout contract after his Juniors season is over. Could be a great add for Charlotte with 2-3 weeks before the playoffs start.  

8 Drury- performed well as a freshman starter for Harvard.  Looks like a sneeky good 2nd round pick again for us.

9 Eetu Done well in his 2nd Liiga season.  PIMS are way too high but is Finland’s junior squad this summer

10 Saarela- big scorer this year on the top line. Skating is a question.

11 Cotton- scored 20 this season.  Going back to be a captain for his senior year.

12 Roy- big physical center. 

13 Henman put on weight young man. As an older statesman in the QMJHL, I thought we would see more out of him this season.

14 De Jong- scoring jumped significantly and is strong in the zone.  Didn’t get a tryout though. 

Goalie

Ned

Booth

Helvig

Henman and De Jong may fall off.  De Jong will if he becomes a FA.  We’ll how the 2nd rounders and the 28-31st pick lands on the list.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/26739351/prospect-pool-risers-fallers-every-metropolitan-division-team

car.png&h=110&w=110

Carolina Hurricanes

A prospect: Martin Necas
B prospects: Jake Bean, Aleksi Saarela, Stelio Mattheos, Morgan Geekie, Alex Nedeljkovic, Julien Gauthier and Janne Kuokkanen

Divisional prospect reports for all 31 NHL teams

Atlantic » | Metropolitan »
Central » | Pacific »

The Hurricanes have done well in loading up their NHL roster to make this run to the Eastern Conference final, but they have a second wave of prospects that is particularly strong. Necas has taken a nice step forward in his first full season of North American pro hockey, and Bean is looking like a fringe "A" prospect based on his first professional season. Saarela and Geekie should also have a shot at pushing for roster spots next season depending on how the offseason shakes out, and Nedeljkovic is looking more and more like an NHL goaltender. It's more likely he's a No. 2, but he could still develop into a starter.

The Hurricanes may not have a ton of elite prospects, but they have a large number of players developed in the AHL who could help filter into their lineup over the next two seasons or be possible bargaining chips in trades. Carolina is in a really good spot right now.

Breakout prospect: Jake Bean

Thanks cc. Overall, can't disagree. I'd start moving Ned to A, but they sort of do that as well as hedge Bean up to sort of A -/B+, so that seems right. I am clearly not happy Fox walked on us, but Bean starting to put his game together still leaves us deep on D. 

If Ned, Necas and Bean all pan out the way it looks, just that would be big for us. But I think one or two of those other "B" guys will do something good too.

I would never had thunk a guy with the name"Geekie" would be in the mix.  But........ he is until he isnt.  If he makes the transition I would consider a jersey just because.  It would be a "Geekie" army.

2 hours ago, cc said:

I would never had thunk a guy with the name"Geekie" would be in the mix.  But........ he is until he isnt.  If he makes the transition I would consider a jersey just because.  It would be a "Geekie" army.

Seems like a guy who's name is already a hockey nickname. 

3 hours ago, cc said:

That may be a big part of why he is in the mix.  "The Boy Named Sue" effect. :P

On 5/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, remkin said:

I am clearly not happy Fox walked on us, but Bean starting to put his game together still leaves us deep on D. 

Now that the run is over and we have time to talk about this, I am in agreement with you.  Clearly power play QB is a big weakness and he (Fox) is the goods there.  I watched him play a couple of games.  We really could use him there.

Maybe Bean is that guy, maybe Dougie.  But we need that guy, whoever he is.

• Like 1