The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Ranking The Prospects: An ongoing effort.

Also Rees is continuing to light it up and would move up the list if we re ranked. And David Cotton is having a really good Senior year at BC. I do wonder though if he might be a guy to finish out his college and go UFA. Given our depth, I would.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

Also Rees is continuing to light it up and would move up the list if we re ranked. And David Cotton is having a really good Senior year at BC. I do wonder though if he might be a guy to finish out his college and go UFA. Given our depth, I would.

Canes will have to sell him on his chances.

with that being said, Canes do need to make some decisions on the prospect pool and lower half of the roster in the near future.

14 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

After Ryan Suzuki suffering an eye injury, now Patrik Puistola.

Supposedly they had to take an early intermission to clean up all the blood

TheHockeyNews has an article on under the radar NCAA prospects.  David Cotton made the list.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-11-under-the-radar-nhl-prospects-who-are-lighting-up-the-ncaa

David Cotton, C (Carolina)
It feels like forever ago that the Hurricanes took Cotton in the sixth round back in 2015 (169th overall), but he’s had a recent offensive explosion at Boston College. Cotton has failed to record a point in just three games this season and has seven in his past three games, good for 24 points in 16 games to lead the school. Cotton does have the advantage of being an older player and likely would have been a useful player with Charlotte in the AHL, but he chose to return for his senior season. That presents a slight issue for the Hurricanes, who could lose Cotton – a big 6-foot-3, 205-pound center – as a UFA later this year, so it’ll be interesting to see how he fits in the team’s long-term plans.

I've had an eye on Cotton since he was drafted. Looking back on my lists in 2017 he was on them, got as high as #8,, then mentioned in 2018. He fell off this season due to our incredible prospect depth and because heading into his Senior year, he now holds the cards and probably goes UFA. I know I would if I were him. I'd take a look at our depth both on the big club and in the system, and try to go to a weaker place where I might have a chance.

Suzuki was traded to the Spirit for a big ransom in the Juniors.  He arrived at his new squad an hour before puck drop and still had 2 points.

edit* Suzuki has 3 assists in 2 games with the Spirit.

Edited by gocanes0506

A quick thought, next years Charlotte team will be the first of, presumably, a long streak of prospect laden teams.

Next season’s squad will have Kuokkanen, Geekie, Eetu, Mattheos, and Bokk on it. Assuming Gauthier makes the NHL squad.

We could add Cotton, Filipe, and any of the European prospects drafted last June.

Also, Drury, Rees, Suzuki, Murray and any European prospects will be PTO eligible in April of next year.

We’ll have decisions to make on Bishop, Lorentz, McCormick, and Smallman this off-season. Assuming that we would want some veteran presence, at least two of them would stay on.  I hope Smallman gets another season with us. He needs one healthy season to show off what he can do.

Edited by gocanes0506

We're so deep it reminds me of that Richard Pryor joke: "Dang this water is cold", "Yeah, and deep too." 

Is that one OK if I don't do the full set up? If not, please moderate me. 

• Like 1

Was the “other Eetu” a victim of the team he was on? I admit that Eetu Makiniemi was afterthought for goalie prospects when he had a 3.03 GAA after he was drafted then spent the following year hurt for 2/3rds of the season.

This season Eetu put up an okay 2.76 GAA and .914 sv percentage in 19 games of the Mestis Finnish league. He is now in the highest pro league, Liiga. In 4 games he has a 1.59 GAA and a .930 sv percentage.  He is the backup so, I wonder if he is going to force the coach to give more starts.

He is only 20. Hopefully he carries himself through a strong Liiga season next year. We could bring him to Charlotte after that. Him and Koch pushing each other for NHL time.

Got me thinking about the guy we are probably thinking could be the guy in goal one day: Kochetkov. The problem is that I have no idea what the structure of the KHL is. I do know that the team he was on in St Petersburgh, is elite, but he was #3 on the depth chart and after several games with a save percentage below .900 he was traded to Podolsk Vityaz (still KHL). But I start to lose the thread on his stats after that. He played 7 games there and put up .922 save percentage, which seems pretty good, but then has stats listed for 2 games in SKA NEVA St Petersburgh (which must be a lower league listed as VHL) he was .940 in those two games, but then has 2 games with Russkie Vityazi Chekov, which is listed as MHL, where he was .908). 

Clearly he's bouncing around ALOT. He has played 17 games spread among 4 teams. But his save percentage has been up and down. Not great in St Petersburgh, but very good in Podolsk, yet he still got sent down with a .922 save %? I don't have shots and saves, but just sort of averaging his save percentages weighted to games played, he is around .923 since he left St Petersburgh.

Anyway, goalies are so tough to know, and following a guy bouncing around in Russia is pretty hard. Hopefully someone in the know will write something up at some point.