The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

NHL All Star Voting Open

Starting something new to discuss. Who from the Canes are deserving? Here are three that come to mind for me.

Victor Rask

Jeff Skinner

Cam Ward

Number 1 has to be Skinner as he is truly having an All Star year. He has been very consistent and I can't remember a game when he has laid an egg. He always seems to have at least one solid period when the other two may of not looked great. His defense has tightened up this year and there has also been a few games where he took the team on his shoulders when we needed it most. My vote goes to Skins. Sorry JF three years in a row will not happen with your performance this year.

Edited by slapshot02

Skinner would be my vote.  Rask one day maybe, but i don't see it this year... just doesn't have the 'name recognition' to fit the hoopla of an All-Star game yet.  Ward, if he just played average hockey in between bursts of awesomeness then yes, but between the peaks, the valleys are pretty dismal to the point that it's hard to look at him as an All-Star.  If we sent a defenseman i'd point to Slavin, but i don't see that happening.  If Faulk goes it's based on prior reputation and nothing more - nothing about his game this season says All-Star to me.  Even last year, when my thoughts on him were pretty much the same as they are now, i could understand why he was chosen due to all of those PPGs.  This year?  Nuh.

At the moment it would be Skinner. He is recognizable, talented, exciting and fun to watch. Isn't that what you look for in an All-Star.

Right now Ward is playing at a very high level and he is recognizable but pretty sure at the goalie position he won't make the cut.

J. Staal and J. Faulk are the only other All-Star caliber players we have and neither are playing an All-Star game right now.

Of the newer Canes you could make a case for both Rask and Slavin. Stars of the future but not stars yet.

SKINNER is the clear choice in my mind.

Yeah all things point to Skinner for sure.

Rask is quietly staying on pace with Skinner, but seems to have been a bit more quiet lately too. Still, Rask is getting it done, but Skinner is having the All Star year.

Skinner is on a near 70 point pace, is near the top of the league in points per game, and he can do it almost by himself. The kid has slick, sick skills too, which works in an All Star game.

Cam is likely hurt by the slow start, though actually deserves it, if how you're playing lately matters.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Skinner is on a near 70 point pace, is near the top of the league in points per game, and he can do it almost by himself. The kid has slick, sick skills too, which works in an All Star game.

and the big boy game announcers get to remind us again that he once was a figure skater. Can't underrate that kind of stuff :coverears:

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

and the big boy game announcers get to remind us again that he once was a figure skater. Can't underrate that kind of stuff :coverears:

Just once, after a goal, I'd like to see him do a double Lutz, or whatever they do. Just once.

• Like 2

On our team I would include Jordan Staal, Jacob Slavin, and Cam, but considering the entire league, Skinner would be my only choice.

What Skinner can do with his skates and the puck are things I think about when All-Star recognition comes to mind.  Just sic skill.

They way the voting is setup is you vote for one player from each division. There is a spot to write in a vote for players not listed. You can vote 10 times each day.

Stuff the box for Skins! (And maybe Ward) He would do great in the 3-on-3 competition!

On 12/5/2016 at 1:37 PM, remkin said:

Just once, after a goal, I'd like to see him do a double Lutz, or whatever they do. Just once.

I'd prefer an Ozzie Smith-style flip. Less--uh, figure-skatery...

f4791d2b6faa8395797480b05d82af2a.jpg

Edited by top-shelf-1

32 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd prefer an Ozzie Smith-style flip. Less--uh, figure-skatery...

f4791d2b6faa8395797480b05d82af2a.jpg

It would be our luck that it ends in a concussion.