The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

As we head toward 2017 the trade rumors will increase. A place for those who wish to talk about them and those who don't to ignore them.

Bruins engaged in trade talks involving Ryan Spooner -CSNNE

The Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders and San Jose Sharks have all expressed interest in Spooner, per one hockey source

According to one source, the Bruins are asking for a “top six forward” in exchange for a package including Spooner

Thanks for starting this thread OBXer. We have one for the Faulk thing, but other trades are as or more likely.

Spooner? I would love to hear some thoughts from anyone who follows the Bruins. What I have read is that he is a natural center. The last two years, 22 and 23 years old he put up a 50 point pace. THAT would be outstanding for a third line center. 

He is small, but fast. He adds speed, but does not (according to his coach) win board battles. Still, speed and 50 points from third line center? Sounds like a fair trade off even if he doesn't win board battles.

Here's my question. Bruins want a top 6 forward. They aren't scoring enough. (sound familiar?). Who is a fair exchange? And if we give up a 50 point forward, then are we are really shifting the deck chairs around?

The first thought that popped into my mind was Lee Stempniak in terms of a guy who put up 50 points. But the Bruins had him last year and didn't re sign, but still. Who else would you give up for him? Lindy? No. TT? No. Aho? Heck no. Skinner? Ha! Rask? No. If they want scoring now, it would have to be Stempniak, I think? I'd give them Nesty or Nordstrom, but I doubt they see that as a fair deal.

Stempniak looks like a guy who has lost his mojo. Maybe a change of scenery would help. For us, it would fill our third line center problem. It would help our scoring if both of these guys responded to a new lease on life and if Spooner distributed the puck and had at least one skilled winger to play with, and one guy to dig the puck out.

Is there a better option to give up?

If we could pick up Spooner without giving up a key piece? And add a 50 point third line center? Well that, is a Francis-type move way more than a Faulk trade.

Edited by remkin

I agree. We aren't going to give up one of our top six. I would package a combination of 2 including Stempniak, Nordstrom, Derek Ryan, Nestrasil. Boston appears to want to package Spooner with someone else for a top 6 which isn't gonna work with Ronnie. If Boston wants to do something asap it could makes sense for us to package two for Spooner as Boston needs Center and LW help.

I don't think the Bs are going to get a top 6 forward unless they really sweeten the pot with a solid prospect or a good draft pick. They have been using Spooner on the 4th line sometimes and he just doesn't seem to fit the B's style.  I would do it for Stemper, maybe Lindy but I don't see it and TT is a thought. Hmm I don't see us giving up our top 6 unless the Bs throw in is so good you can't turn it down.

But if you can't score with who you have I suppose the risk might be worth it.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

I don't think the Bs are going to get a top 6 forward unless they really sweeten the pot with a solid prospect or a good draft pick. They have been using Spooner on the 4th line sometimes and he just doesn't seem to fit the B's style.  I would do it for Stemper, maybe Lindy but I don't see it and TT is a thought. Hmm I don't see us giving up our top 6 unless the Bs throw in is so good you can't turn it down.

But if you can't score with who you have I suppose the risk might be worth it.

I wouldn't give up n Lindy just yet. TT in my opinion has played good hockey in the last stretch of games and last night was one of his best all season. I'd give up Nestrasil and Stemp.. Spooners age fits right in with RF's long range plan.

• Like 1

The thing is we know (for the most part) who we wouldn't give up but the question is what would the Bs take. I don't think Nesty is a probable return for the Bs. Stemper, maybe.

I would also not throw in Lindy. After a rough start he had been playing much better, and the points were starting to come. There is still too much upside.

Age-wise Stempniak may be an uneven trade, but he's a natural winger and on a very nice salary. Not sure if the Bruins want him though. Francis is also very reluctant to give up young guys, and the Bruins want scoring now, so I'm just not sure who else could fit the bill.

I'd throw in Derek Ryan, since we'd need him even less if we had Spooner, but not sure that adds much value. Nesty and Nordstrom have 7 points between them, so not sure that is what the Bruins are looking for.

Ryan and Stempniak for Spooner? Is that giving up too much? But Spooner is only 24 so has a lot more left in him than Stemp.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The thing is we know (for the most part) who we wouldn't give up but the question is what would the Bs take. I don't think Nesty is a probable return for the Bs. Stemper, maybe.

I'm saying package Nesty and Stemper. The B's need Center and wing help.

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

Ryan and Stempniak for Spooner? Is that giving up too much?

You can't overrate Stemps veteran experience and what he brings to us but I would make that trade. 

8 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm saying package Nesty and Stemper. The B's need Center and wing help.

Ok, I get it. I would make this trade also. I don't think the B's would.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

You can't overrate Stemps veteran experience and what he brings to us but I would make that trade. 

Ok, I get it. I would make this trade also. I don't think the B's would.

I don't think so either unless they are very desperate to unload Spooner. He has been in the dog house for awhile and they want center help along with left wing help due to injuries. Nesty or Nordy could be temporary help until injuries heal and Stemp can add scoring help. Stemp may be a better fit in Boston as he put up 10 pts in 19 games last year.

I really don't think there will be many trades anywhere before the deadline this year. And due to the need to protect most assets, I don't think there will be as many trades at the deadline as there usually are. If you bring in a guy you might want to keep, you then have to re-juggle your protected list for the expansion draft. I think that will put a damper on a lot of trades that might have happened otherwise. One exception might be the Canes and their relatively open defence protection slots as of right now. We really only need to protect Faulk, and maybe Carrick or Tennyson depending on how you feel about them. We could easily bring in a guy on the blue line and find an expansion protection slot for him if we wanted to do so. Compare that with a team like the Ducks that has some very good defensive pieces that they can't protect, and that could be an area Ron Francis could exploit before the draft. Maybe swap one of our defensive prospects like Fleury for a guy like Fowler, with picks to even out the value. I don't know that we want to do that salary wise, but it seems more likely to me than moving forwards around prior to the expansion draft that we then have to protect.

Edited by MinJaBen

Thanks but no thanks on Spooner.  We already have enough of those small/fast forwards that get knocked off the puck quite easily.  We need something better than this.  It would be one thing if they were looking for blue line help.  But they're looking for top 6 help and so are we.  Stemp for him?  Maybe if it's like for like.  Otherwise, pass.  Bruins fans are saying Stalberg for Spooner which I would pass on.  It also turns out that spooner sucks defensively....  Yeah..... we can do better than this and need more than this.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

I really don't think there will be many trades anywhere before the deadline this year. And due to the need to protect most assets, I don't think there will be as many trades at the deadline as there usually are. If you bring in a guy you might want to keep, you then have to re-juggle your protected list for the expansion draft. I think that will put a damper on a lot of trades that might have happened otherwise. One exception might be the Canes and their relatively open defence protection slots as of right now. We really only need to protect Faulk, and maybe Carrick or Tennyson depending on how you feel about them. We could easily bring in a guy on the blue line and find an expansion protection slot for him if we wanted to do so. Compare that with a team like the Ducks that has some very good defensive pieces that they can't protect, and that could be an area Ron Francis could exploit before the draft. Maybe swap one of our defensive prospects like Fleury for a guy like Fowler, with picks to even out the value. I don't know that we want to do that salary wise, but it seems more likely to me than moving forwards around prior to the expansion draft that we then have to protect.

While I'm not amongst the "trade Faulk now at all cost" crowd, if RF was going to move a dman for a forward (who would require protection), considering a Faulk trade makes sense. 

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

While I'm not amongst the "trade Faulk now at all cost" crowd,

While a couple of folks here ascribe to that principle, I don't think it's in RF's DNA.  My impression is that he's going to get what he considers full value (at least) or not make a deal.  I get a similar vibe from Yzerman. 

• Like 1

Another name out there regarding trade is Anthony Duclair. Duclair can bring a physical aspect to his game and could fit into the top six. Sources say that Arizona's value of him is to high any they may want Hanifan straight up. I would pass on this but would consider Murphy and Tennyson for Duclair.

Anthony Duclair is a small forward (3rd rounder) with a nice year of production last year. But it just kills me if anyone thinks we are giving Hanfin up for anything less than a young stud IC, so in other words, if you want to trade with us, don't even glance in Hanifin's direction. It is just my opinion, but IMHO Hanfin is about the biggest no trade guy we have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Anthony Duclair is a small forward (3rd rounder) with a nice year of production last year. But it just kills me if anyone thinks we are giving Hanfin up for anything less than a young stud IC, so in other words, if you want to trade with us, don't even glance in Hanifin's direction. It is just my opinion, but IMHO Hanfin is about the biggest no trade guy we have.

I agree 100%, Arizona must have a medical Marijuana card in possession. Seems like every team wants Hanifan, yeah so do we!

haven't seen one site reporting any "Carolina" trade rumors.  does anyone know if anything has been reported or are we all just speculating?  I'd be happy to see Faulk go for a top 6 who can finish. I do believe Faulks best days are ahead of him so he will be missed one day.  Right now our D is ok and a lot coming up next year. 

Here is a link to a site where they are speculating who might get traded from each team:

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/30-nhl-players-who-could-be-traded-for-immediate-help/3/

14. Carolina Hurricanes – Justin Faulk And Lee Stempniak

The Hurricanes don’t have a whole lot of bluster in the offensive zone, and unless they do something to shore up anemic scoring, the playoffs will again be an afterthought. At 9-9-4 they aren’t that far out of it, but with only 54 goals (second fewest in the East) that pop-gun offence won’t produce more points. They are blessed with great young defencemen, including Noah Hanifin (19), Jaccob Slavin (22) and Brett Pesce (21), with a few first rounders on the way up, like Haydn Fleury and Jake Bean. Therefore, a premier puck-mover like Justin Faulk, 24, who isn’t overpaid at $4.833 million per season (until 2020) could fetch a great return. A scoring second-line center wouldn’t be out of the question, should the Canes dangle him. If they needed to sweeten the pot, aging but still effective winger Lee Stempniak, who makes $2.5 million, could be parceled up too.

• Like 1

This was the Spooner to Carolina thing:

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: The Bruins have held trade talks with multiple teams about Ryan Spooner according to multiple sources.

One source saying the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders and San Jose Sharks have shown some level of interest in Spooner.

Spooner has only three goals and five assists in 24 games this season. He’s played most of the season on the wing instead of his preferred position at center.

One source is saying the Bruins are looking for a “top six forward” for a package that includes Spooner.

The Bruins had been looking for a top four defenseman since the summer.

A couple years ago the Bruins offered Spooner and draft pick to the Buffalo Sabres for the then pending UFA Chris Stewart. The Sabres rejected the deal and later traded Stewart at the deadline for less.

Edited by remkin

55 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Here is a link to a site where they are speculating who might get traded from each team:

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/30-nhl-players-who-could-be-traded-for-immediate-help/3/

14. Carolina Hurricanes – Justin Faulk And Lee Stempniak

The Hurricanes don’t have a whole lot of bluster in the offensive zone, and unless they do something to shore up anemic scoring, the playoffs will again be an afterthought. At 9-9-4 they aren’t that far out of it, but with only 54 goals (second fewest in the East) that pop-gun offence won’t produce more points. They are blessed with great young defencemen, including Noah Hanifin (19), Jaccob Slavin (22) and Brett Pesce (21), with a few first rounders on the way up, like Haydn Fleury and Jake Bean. Therefore, a premier puck-mover like Justin Faulk, 24, who isn’t overpaid at $4.833 million per season (until 2020) could fetch a great return. A scoring second-line center wouldn’t be out of the question, should the Canes dangle him. If they needed to sweeten the pot, aging but still effective winger Lee Stempniak, who makes $2.5 million, could be parceled up too.

I don't care what they say, there is NO WAY Faulk will be traded prior to the expansion draft. Everybody knows that protecting defensemen is harder with the expansion draft rules than protecting a forward and to try and move Faulk means we need to find a team that is willing to now expose a defender they thought they could protect. It negatively effects both the market and Faulk's value to do it before the draft. Couple that with the difficulty we've had finding guys on the right this year who weren't dumpster fires besides Faulk and Pesce, and there is no way I see that happening. I'd be willing to bet we bring in another highly valued defenseman before we move one out of here.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

It's a nice summation of who's been rumored to be out there, but the alleged asking price he postulates are, IMO, absurd.

Spooner: Pesce/Slavin or Lindholm PLUS Murphy. yeah right.

Duclair: Hanifin. even more of a yeah right.

Shattenkirk; Skinner/Hanifin. (this makes no sense to me at all)Dougie Hamilton: no mention of price, but really, why would we ever move a significant player out for him now?

This makes more sense from our end:

Duchene/Landeskog: Pesce/Slavin: that actually makes sense price-wise. BTW we started that rumor up in here the second the injury hit Colorado.

Would you rather....

If we could fetch Duchene or Landskog: who would you rather trade?

Faulk, Slavin, or Pesce, and in what order?

Edited by remkin