The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

18 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Why would the Avs move Rantanen for anything less than a massive overpayment?  It's like asking "what would it take to pry Aho out of Carolina".  In your post on this, you listed every reason that the Avs had to keep him.  Young, big, cheap, and producing.  Avs suck and are capped out.  They want more of him, not less. 

SD/Top yeah I agree with all your points. Sakic has already stated he wouldn't move Rantanen or MacKinnon and an over payment would be required for that to happen. Just wishful thinking on my part. Sakic does need cap relief and prefers to go young.  I didn't see Sakic dumping Ryan O'Reilly to Buffalo in 2015 but he did get significant cap relief. Sakic's return didn't work out to well for him. O'Reilly went on to score 60pts for Buffalo last year. 

In all of our discussions, seems like we gloss over the fact that Duchene was good enough to make Canada's Olympic, World Cup, and World Cup of Hockey teams. And do quite well on them, no less.  I love how our talent is improving, but let's face it, we haven't got anybody like that . . . 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Mckeown and Bean, First round pick 2017, second round pick 2018 for Duchene.  That's my first proposal to Avs if I'm RF.  We could easily afford to give that up, we got Fleury coming to join the monster defense of Slavin, Pesce, Hannifin, Faulk.  And we got Gauthier and Roy coming to join Aho, TT, Skinner, Rask, Staal on offense.   The future seems set to me if we can get Duchene added in that top 6.  This would be a winning team for the next decade with some tweaks here and there over the years. Keeping Hannifin and Fleury is important but we could even afford to let one of them go if we had to.

12 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Mckeown and Bean, First round pick 2017, second round pick 2018 for Duchene.  That's my first proposal to Avs if I'm RF.  We could easily afford to give that up, we got Fleury coming to join the monster defense of Slavin, Pesce, Hannifin, Faulk.  And we got Gauthier and Roy coming to join Aho, TT, Skinner, Rask, Staal on offense.   The future seems set to me if we can get Duchene added in that top 6.  This would be a winning team for the next decade with some tweaks here and there over the years. Keeping Hannifin and Fleury is important but we could even afford to let one of them go if we had to.

I'd  much rather give up Fleury than either of Bean and McKeown. And if we get Duchene, we should strongly consider using Roy to sweeten the pot vs other assets as there is likely no spot for another center on the team anyway. Centers can always play wing, but I am not sure that Roy is one of those.

2 hours ago, JCLA said:

Seems Landeskog doesn't want to go anywhere, wonder if that affects anything.

If his NTC doesn't begin until next year he might not have a choice. But you don't want an unhappy player looking for the first chance out.

for those wanting to give up top four roster D-man or Hanifin I just want to point out that when the word came that Hainsey might not play tonight I took a deep breath. We still aren't that deep in game ready D-men..yet

21 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If his NTC doesn't begin until next year he might not have a choice. But you don't want an unhappy player looking for the first chance out.

for those wanting to give up top four roster D-man or Hanifin I just want to point out that when the word came that Hainsey might not play tonight I took a deep breath. We still aren't that deep in game ready D-men..yet

Yeah that is true. And what I am coming around to, especially as our offense seems to be building.

I think we can absorb the loss of Hanfin this year, and the loss of Faulk next year. But given the nature of injuries, and that we really don't get a lot of goals from defensman other than Faulk, it could be very disruptive indeed to lose Faulk for this year's defense. As you point out, injuries is where things would get really thin back there if we trade him.

Losing Faulk to a trade, we could get by with Pesce/Slavin/Hansey. and patch in the rest: Hanifin/Tennyson/Dahlbeck. I think we could get by with that. Won't win the cup with it, but could get in. But if an injury hit the top 3 part of that, it would get dicey.

This year we could handle losing Hanifin and an injury, since we'd still have Faulk. But we'd have traded a guy we may really wish we hadn't a couple of years from now.

That's why I am in the no trade if it's Faulk or Hanifin at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Duchene and have been on and on about needing to find a guy like that. But that move will look better when Fleury and McKeown are proving their NHL ready and Bean is still looking good in development. (Obviously not the actual move, but whatever similar move hopefully unveils itself next year).

And also don't get me wrong that if Francis can compile prospects and picks into a deal that does not move Faulk or Hanifin, and pick up either Duchene or Landeskog I'm in on that, including our first rounder.

As to Landeskog not wanting to go anywhere, I don't make much of it on it's face. That's what you're supposed to say. The last thing you want to do is torque off the entire fan base by publicly asking out, then it doesn't happen, especially if you're the captain. HOWEVER, if Landeskog doesn't want to be in Raleigh, and makes that known to Francis, that would have bearing. Francis listed his top factor, above size and speed and everything, is that the player wants to be here and part of what we are doing. Still, my guess is that after his last year and even worse this year, and the the disaster that Colorado is, he'd probably end up being psyched to get out of there.

Edited by remkin

My take:

GMRF has a conflicting battle in his head.  I don't think he sees Hanifin as the person he was hoping for when he drafted him.  I think he sees Duchene as a guy he's not 100% sold on either.  He's not the all purpose #1 center, but he is a #1 center that fills a void, as the team lacks in consistent scoring, and he knows how rare players like Duchene are available.  I think he sees where we're at in the rebuild, how close we are to becoming contenders, as well as where some of our Dmen like Fleury are in the development.  I think he's questioning is holding out for guys like Roy and Kuokkanen worth the wait when he sees the possibility to get what they want now.

I predict Duchene will be a Hurricane before the trade deadline, as well as Varlamov and a veteran Dman they're trying to get rid of for some deal revolving around Hanifin/Roy or Kuokkanen/Lack.

• Like 1

Apparently a Colorado sports radio guy said he spoke with Melrose who claimed the Avs roster is "going to be gutted". Sounds like they're about to do a complete rebuild. Trading two young talents seems like a weird way to go about it but I'd like to take advantage of it. 

Edited by TheFaulker

13 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

My understanding is this:Carolina management having internal discussions whether to deal top young D player/prospects for Duchene. We'll see

Just do it RF!  We need Duchene in our top 6!  D is good to go for years.  Whoever RF and BP decide they can live without I will support, whether its Hann, Faulk, Fleury, picks.  whatever, just make the move and lets get us a # 1 center that is fast(which fits us great) and can score 25-30.

Will not surprise me one bit if we do a blockbuster for Duchene, Skog and Varly, then turn Duchene around for a skilled D to replace the Dman we give up. We just unloaded a primadonna "#1 center" who didn't play a lick of D--and look how much better we are.

From the Avs board. Sounds like we'll need to look elsewhere for goaltending help.:

Bednar confirms that Varley is not 100% healthy and has been constantly dealing with injury all season. Not surprised.

edit: and more

Varly situation is not gonna be easy to deal with. It's well obvious that he has chronic groin issue, and he's just not reliable at all. You can't keep him as a back up with a 5.9 mill salary, and i don't think any team is gonna take a chance at him, because i'm sure the GM's around the league would know about his groin issues.

I have no idea what they gonna do with Varly. The only way i see a solution is if Varly himself decides to go play in KHL or something, otherwise Avs are pretty much stuck with him for couple of more years until his contract expires. I guess they would have to keep him, and just hope he can stay as healthy as possible, back up role or starter.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:
From the Avs board. Sounds like we'll need to look elsewhere for goaltending help.:

Bednar confirms that Varley is not 100% healthy and has been constantly dealing with injury all season. Not surprised.

Varly situation is not gonna be easy to deal with. It's well obvious that he has chronic groin issue, and he's just not reliable at all. You can't keep him as a back up with a 5.9 mill salary, and i don't think any team is gonna take a chance at him, because i'm sure the GM's around the league would know about his groin issues.

I have no idea what they gonna do with Varly. The only way i see a solution is if Varly himself decides to go play in KHL or something, otherwise Avs are pretty much stuck with him for couple of more years until his contract expires. I guess they would have to keep him, and just hope he can stay as healthy as possible, back up role or starter.

I wouldn't be so sure that this prevents us from taking him. Given Bickel coming of the books next year, we would still be well under the cap if we took him and Landy and Duch. Plus, maybe taking Varly off their hands helps lower the price for the other two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFaulker said:

I have a feeling we're gonna get Duchene without giving up a Dman on the current roster. 

Fleury + Roy + 1st or 2nd? 

I'd do this if possible. With Duchene, there is almost no room for Roy anyway and even if we lose our first, we still have two seconds and two thirds to use in this years draft. I've not been very high on Fleury, so to me he would be the ideal defensive property to send, but I know others like him, so that may hurt.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

A reminder. We don't post links to other message boards.

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Quick question: is that image of a message board post the equivalent of a link?

4 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I wouldn't be so sure that this prevents us from taking him. Given Bickel coming of the books next year, we would still be well under the cap if we took him and Landy and Duch. Plus, maybe taking Varly off their hands helps lower the price for the other two.

As much as I like the idea, I still don't see much chance of us getting both Landy and Dutch, tbh.  Seems like other teams are kicking the tires on both as well.  Much as we'd like to think so, I just don't see the Avs in a firesale situation as there will be competition for players of their caliber.

Maybe Varly would be a good move for the future, and a great opportunity to "buy low".  But it doesn't look he'd be the answer to our urgent (imo) need for a 2nd goalie for the rest of this season. In fact wouldn't he make solving that even harder?

14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

10 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Quick question: is that image of a message board post the equivalent of a link?

Or is it that the name of the OP is an actual link back to a different board?  I tried to go back to my post and edit it out, but it disappears once I get the "edit box", even though it still is there in my post.   ruh??

edit: ok, now it's gone.  I'm guessing you removed it, thanks, and I'll take out similar links if I copy stuff from another board in the future

Edited by LakeLivin

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Maybe Varly would be a good move for the future, and a great opportunity to "buy low".  But it doesn't look he'd be the answer to our urgent (imo) need for a 2nd goalie for the rest of this season.

Only if you don't think Leighton, a bonafide NHL keeper and current AHL All-Star, is not a serviceable backup.

An injured-and-recuperating Varly for an injured and recuperating Lack deal, done now, gives him until next camp to get well, if we believe in Leights--and feels a lot better to me going forward than Lacko.

Edited by top-shelf-1

43 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I'd do this if possible. With Duchene, there is almost no room for Roy anyway and even if we lose our first, we still have two seconds and two thirds to use in this years draft. I've not been very high on Fleury, so to me he would be the ideal defensive property to send, but I know others like him, so that may hurt.

Draft is supposed to be weak this year.