The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

1 minute ago, remkin said:

If we could fetch Duchene or Landskog: who would you rather trade? Faulk, Slavin, or Pesce, and in what order?

Faulk, Pesce, then Slavin in that order. I'd rather send them Fleury + a 2017 1st.

6 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Another name out there regarding trade is Anthony Duclair. Duclair can bring a physical aspect to his game and could fit into the top six. Sources say that Arizona's value of him is to high any they may want Hanifan straight up. I would pass on this but would consider Murphy and Tennyson for Duclair.

NO way do i want Hanifan gone for anyone, no way , no how... I Like Duclair though.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

.....BTW we started that rumor up in here the second the injury hit Colorado.

Would you rather....

If we could fetch Duchene or Landskog: who would you rather trade?

Faulk, Slavin, or Pesce, and in what order?

I actually thought the article was a summation of various discussions on these boards, but not for the exact trades mentioned.

Duchene, Faulk plus a forward prospect from Charlotte and Murphy would be all I'd go for.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'd give up Faulk.  Slavin is off the board imo.  I'd reluctantly consider Pesce, but I doubt Colorado would value him as highly as I do, so I think he'd be "safe".  

2 hours ago, remkin said:

1. Faulk

2. Faulk

3. Faulk

Based on their play, on-ice communication, and Colorado's desperate need, neither Pesce nor Slavin should be even be in the conversation. Throw in Murph. And as I've said previously, Lack--if we also get AHL G Jeremy Smith coming back.

Pesce is not as recognized as Slavin, but they might actually want him since it's RHD they need. But...

Edited by top-shelf-1

If you were an Av's fan, what would you expect coming back for Duchene?

And for the record, the Av's long-term need is a #1D, and not necessarily a RHD, they have Johnson, and I don't believe their GM is going to make a trade like this for 6-8 months, it's a long-term move. They are playing Fedor Tytutin on the left side of their top D pairing.

I'd bet fan GM's on both sides couldn't find a trade that worked.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It really depends on Colorado's direction.

I would say for immediate help:

Faulk and a decent winger prospect for Duchene and Meloche.

Or to help with their thin prospect pool:

Slavin or Pesce, a good winger prospect, and a pick (depending on the level of the winger 'spec).

I dunno, this thread really feels like Faulk or bust to me even though it's pretty clear what Av's fans think - they should know.  Or any other fanbase for that matter. 

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

If you were an Av's fan, what would you expect coming back for Duchene?

And for the record, the Av's long-term need is a #1D, and not necessarily a RHD, they have Johnson, and I don't believe their GM is going to make a trade like this for 6-8 months, it's a long-term move. They are playing Fedor Tytutin on the left side of their top D pairing.

I'd bet fan GM's on both sides couldn't find a trade that worked.

I agree that it's tough, but I think Colorado is in a different place than us, thanks to that self-interested somebody Patrick Roy and their lack of organizational depth. From a butts-in-the-seats perspective, a trade for "two-time All-Star Justin Faulk" probably sells more tickets than "best defenseman you've never heard of Jaccob Slavin." Faulk might return Landeskog alone (the Avs player I've always coveted anyway), but we if really want Duchene, you add Murphy and maybe some cash (which we have), and I think it becomes hard for Denver to turn down.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was dead wrong! 

Edited by top-shelf-1

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

this thread really feels like Faulk or bust to me

I agree, it most definitely is. I don't think any of us want to let go of either side of our top pairing or Hanifin. Speaking for myself, based on his work thus far and what it's done to compliment Hanifin's game, I don't want to let go of Tennyson, either. But I get your point, what we  know about Faulker's recent suspect D play isn't "our little secret." The question is whether the Avs can be made to believe that moving him there will improve his focus (the old "change of scene" thing). Of course, if his late-game decision-making is tied to O2 deprivation (an idea I've floated), playing at altitude won't help. (Or, what I assume is the ample access to O2 on the bench works wonders!)

1 hour ago, hopper915 said:

What do you think it would take to get Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Its rumored Edmonton is shopping him for a top D-man.

Sounds like it would take a top D-man. Not something I'd trade for RNH alone. Now, I'd do Faulk for RNH plus Poolparty, but I doubt they would.

After looking at Duchenes stats, heck yeah I'd be ok with Faulk/Duchene.  If we got to throw something else in it can't be anything good. late round pick or something. Don't know if Colorado considers Faulk in same ball park as Duchene though so they might want Faulk plus something else good.  not sure I'd do that.  Than again, young, fast and guaranteed 55-70points, I probably would.

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think any of us want to let go of either side of our top pairing or Hanifin.

I don't.  I was just curious if anybody could put themselves in the Av's position as far as what they wanted.  My sense is they value Duchene much higher than most here do in terms of fair value coming back.  I'm also surprised nobody is concerned about the potential of only having Duchene for 2 seasons.

The Av's do look like a good trading partner.

• Like 1

Maple Leafs are said to be considering moving James van Riemsdyk in order to shore up their D.  He's 27yo and getting $5m through next season. I'd be interested, but offhand I can't see a match as far as what we'd give up that they'd be willing to take in return.  Given JVRs age (and just 1.5 years left on his contract), I wouldn't consider 24yo Faulk, let alone 22yo Slavin or Pesce.  Hainsey, Murphy, or Tennyson isn't going to do it, and I'm guessing they want help now, so that would seem to rule out any picks/ prospects.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I don't.  I was just curious if anybody could put themselves in the Av's position as far as what they wanted.  My sense is they value Duchene much higher than most here do in terms of fair value coming back.  I'm also surprised nobody is concerned about the potential of only having Duchene for 2 seasons.

The Av's do look like a good trading partner.

Not only would I prefer Landeskog, I think he's the most viable target. Faulk could bring him back, Faulk and Murph almost certainly would. They hang the C on Duchene, and we have another viable candidate for our C.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not only would I prefer Landeskog, I think he's the most viable target. Faulk could bring him back, Faulk and Murph almost certainly would. They hang the C on Duchene, and we have another viable candidate for our C.

I've been scanning the AVs forum over at HFBoards and the vast majority of their fans are discussing moving Duchene rather than Landeskog.  One said something along the lines of "you don't move your best 2-way forward".  Avs management might feel differently, but they did name Landeskog Captain at only 23 years of age (he just turned 24).  Duchene has a letter but it's an alternating "A", like Rask and Skinner.   

I got the feeling that some over there thought that Duchene might be a bit gunshy after coming back from his injury, so that might be effecting their sentiments.   Of course, Landeskog is still out on IR, so who knows how he'll come back.  Similar contracts ($6m per) except L's goes through the 20-21 season, 2 more years than D's.

Edited by LakeLivin

The original Duchene idea was from a rumor during the offseason that he was being shopped. If there has been any rumor that Landeskog was being shopped, I missed it.

Also, Landeskog has some sort of limited NTC. Best I can tell Duchene does not. When the Avs made Landeskog their Captain he was the youngest captain in the history of the NHL. I would love to hear otherwise, but I just don't think that he is on the market.

Duchene has two years left after this year, Faulk has three after this year. If we got Duchene now, we'd get the rest of this year, and playoffs if we made it, then two more years. Of course most teams are able to re-sign players if they really want them, so hopefully he could be re-signed if we do still want him.

Duchene is not the prototypical big 1C. But he was the #3 overall pick, and he is fast and scores in bunches consistently. He may not be a Selke candidate, but he does play two ways at least OK. Over the past 4 years he's an even player.

My thought is this. If you could pick any center in the league to be your 1C, there are names you'd clearly pick first. But the Oilers are not offering Conner McDavid to us. The big, fast, stud IC guys are rarely traded. But you do need a decent 1C to be the perennial contender that we want to be.  So where will we get that guy? Unless Nicholas Roy or Janne Kuokken are going to be great IC's. Then who is it going to be? Maybe Rask I guess, but that's still a tall order that may or may not happen. Our best high end forward hope in the pipeline is Gauthier, but he's pretty much a pure winger.

Duchene is 25. He could fill that role for 6-7 years near peak. Duchene is a near lock for 60 point paced production. No one on our team hit 60 points last year, and Skinner was the only one to break 50 (51).

Duchene-J Staal-Rask would be playoff strong down the middle. Instantly. Hang your wingers on there, and you have three scoring lines, at least.

I agree that Colorado may not make that move, or it may cost us more than Faulk. In fact, I don't think I'd do it if I were them. Throwing in Murphy doesn't add much either. So I get that.

But I do think I'd do it from our end if the deal was there.

Edited by remkin

And not to get too far ahead of things, but if Gauthier is all that some of us think and all of us hope, then that's another potentially very skilled winger to hang on that down the middle line up.

Centers: Duchene/Jordan Staal/Rask

Wingers: Skinner/TT/Aho/Lindholm/Gauthier. Imagine one big UFA winger signing....

Defense: Slavin/Pesce/Hanifin/Fleury/McKeown/Bean

If TT, Aho, and Lindholm keep improving, that could be one heck of a team with just one UFA. But that assumes none of our other nice forwards in the system break out. If just one does, insert them and don't sign any UFAs.

Edited by remkin

I stand corrected*. Definitely some rumors out there about him. 

Most of them last year, and some speculation over the summer, but there is that one report that claimed as recently as a couple of months ago that management and Landeskog were at odds.

Interesting choice in a way, if it came down to Landeskog vs. Duchene. Both very high picks. About a year apart. Duchene scores more, but Landeskog is bigger, historically better defensively, captain material so a leader. Either one could help us a lot. Landeskog is locked up two extra years, and has a limited NTC (not sure if he could block a move here), which would be good if he keeps producing, the money is about even.

I would also say Landeskog, but we could use a center more ideally. Either one would make us better.

*well technically I just said I'm not aware of them, but still.

Edited by remkin

We just can't give up Slavin, Hanifin, or Pesce.  Let's cut the bs here .   When was the last time we had someone like Slavin?  I'm thinking Wesley maybe?  A D man that can actually play defense.  Then you have Hanifin and Pesce.  This is our big 3 IMO and we can build the blue line around them .   It is trade Faulk or bust.  Even if we have to throw in a 2nd rounder or prospect along with Faulk to get Duchene or Land I think it would be worth it....

What would.it take?  Faulk ,  2nd rounder, Bean for Duchene or Land ?  Is that being realistic ?

Edited by bluedevil58