The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

Concerning Iginla i can totally see a place for him if Francis thinks this team can compete this season and is ready to be a 'buyer'.  Otherwise i don't see it happening.  And even if he does, no way would i want to see him trade away McKeown or Bean for him - nor do i see Francis wanting to.  A 2nd-rounder straight up, if even that much.  But again, only if Francis decides to be a buyer.  Unless he sees this team going anywhere this Spring, i expect he'll continue being an observer.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I agree 100% with your and tops feelings for the need of someone who can provide net front presence. That has been my mantra for several years. We have no one who is willing to play that type of game. I was hoping that Jordan could be that guy as he has the size and is tough to move. He chooses not to play that type of game in front of the net. I would love to get a beast in front of the net but Iginla is not the guy for us. 5 1/2 mil and 39 1/2 years old and a UFA next year is not someone RF would go after unless it was packaged into a multiple player deal. Something for Jarome straight up for a half season makes no sense for the long term plan.

slapshot, I get it, I really do, and no, I do not see him(Iginla) as longer than just to the end of this year, something to POSSIBLY get us into a playoff spot. Granted, the man is old for a hockey player, but IF he could instill just a little of his grit and determination relative to net front presence to our still young and impressionable players, what a blessing that would be?

That brings up another increasingly sore subject to me. You've mentioned Jordan, and frankly I love the guy, but am becoming more and more convinced that Henry didn't instill "toughness" in any of his 4 sons. Does everyone recall our collective angst for years that #12 never seemed inclined to "back" any of our players whom the opponent was taking liberty with? I'm curious to know if anyone agrees that part of the problem of "lack of toughness" didn't come from a lack of leadership , since Brindy, in setting the example? Now, in fairness, Jordan did appear to start to stand up for someone in the Washington game, but this is rare. Both the Staals do masterful jobs at puck possession, but neither display the amount of grittiness this team has lacked, it seems, forever?

• Like 1

As of now, this will be an interesting season at the trade deadline. Who in the East will be a seller? The 9 teams below the Rangers all have a legitimate shot at that elusive 8th playoff position. If one or two teams (hopefully us) rip off 8 or 9 straight wins in February, some teams might move into the seller category. But I'm sure if you are Colorado, you see Duchene and/or Landeskog, and even Iginla as perhaps part of a small number of difference makers who could be available, with a lot of teams looking to buy.

As far as Iginla, we have gone through a lot of pain to get to where we are even still in the playoff conversation this late in the year. I would not part with any of our top prospects for a 30 game rental who might not make a difference anyway. Taking on his salary and maybe a mid-round pick would be all I'd part with.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2017 at 8:28 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Guys, I gotta tell you, the guy I want right now after the display of the last four games isn't Landeskog or Duchene. It's Iginla.

Yeah, he's old--but we're full up with snipers, and at the end of the day, Landy and Duche are just two more. We need immovable objects in front of the net. Bickell could be that guy if/when he gets back, but Iginla can be right now--rocking chair and all. Low cost going forward (he's a UFA next year) and high potential return. And talk about a seasoned vet. He might very well be the next Jagr.

For this reason I cringe every time I read Sakic wants Gauthier.  If anyone has watched the last 3 games it is brutally obvious we still need the grit factor really bad.  I could do with losing a DMan but don't trade away our future grit-man.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hag65 said:

For this reason I cringe every time I read Sakic wants Gauthier. 

Yup, though I'm sure RF is having none of it. 

And I have to say something else. I love Slavin's stick skills and heady play, but he's missing a chance to take leadership of the D-corps by throwing his weight around in front of our net. It's one thing to win pucks in the corners with minimal contact, but something else again to rely on doing it in the slot. Playing the puck instead of the man net-front just creates more opportunities for flukey goals. Play the man; box him out, beat on him with your forearms and shoulder him constantly so he can't set up. This goes for both the net-front Dman and every last one of our centers.

There's a price opponents must pay for trying to set up in the slot, and we simply aren't making them pay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Iginla is a give-away guy for the Avs at this point.  4th round pick or so at best.

Exactly, he should be a relatively easy guy to get, cheap the rest of the way, and down the stretch is the best time to find out if he's a fit for next year. The only potential problem I see is that he's likely to want to go to a team with a higher chance of making the finals, and since he's got an NMC, he can control where he ends up.

22 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Iginla will be 40 in july, has 12 points, and is minus 15.

Pretty sure you'd have a worse stat line as fourth liner on a team with 13 wins all season. You do realize he put up 47 points last year, right?

There's a point where this game becomes muscle memory, and like Chelios and Jagr and others before them, Iginla, I believe, is there. He is also the only guy on the Avs roster who (1) brings the edge we need, and (2) can be had at a minimal price.

I'm not saying he solves everything; there is no one fix. But remember RF's PTO of Raffi Torres? We STILL don't have that guy who makes other teams pay the price. Iginla is a guy who still can, and without being Torres- or Downie-esque. His brand of physicality is contagious, and it's just the virus we need. He could be the one to infect our beloved Candy Canes.

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Pretty sure you'd have a worse stat line as fourth liner on a team with 13 wins all season. You do realize he put up 47 points last year, right?

There's a point where this game becomes muscle memory, and like Chelios and Jagr and others before them, Iginla, I believe, is there. He is also the only guy on the Avs roster who (1) brings the edge we need, and (2) can be had at a minimal price.

I'm not saying he solves everything; there is no one fix. But remember RF's PTO of Raffi Torres? We STILL don't have that guy who makes other teams pay the price. Iginla is a guy who still can, and without being Torres- or Downie-esque. His brand of physicality is contagious, and it's just the virus we need. He could be the one to infect our beloved Candy Canes.

Well,that would be a good bet considering I'm 62 years old, and don't make over 5 mil to play fourth line minutes on a team with 13 wins. I also believe he has a no movement clause. and I would bet that he wouldn't waive it unless it is to a team that has the possibility to go on a good playoff run. I agree that the canes could use some physical players, but that has been a need that has been ignored for a long time.

I can't imagine we will spend assets on a player over 30 unless we are in the playoff hunt. Right now we are only in the playoff conversation.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Right now we are only in the playoff conversation.

As is the rest of the conference... Teams #11-16 are all at 49 points, with games in hand as essentially the only differentiation. The Canes certainly aren't out of it, but they're far from the only team in contention.

I know this won't make sense to all but one reason I'd like to see a trade with some high end talent beside to improve the level of play is to gauge what type of commitment PK has to this team right now. I don't know his level of commitment currently. He lost two investors in the team in December to the tune of 6 million. One existing member picked up 1.5 mil of it but left the group down 4.5 million. Does PK feel any trades that will bring any high end salary to the budget next year are out of the equation? Anything we have done on the trade market over several years have all been small change with the exception of Bickell in regards to dollars invested .   http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Carolina_Hurricanes/1   We seem to enjoy rolling the dice on the waiver line and hoping we don't shoot craps on every roll. Are trades that will add 5-10 mil to the payroll next year be totally out of the equation? Just wish I knew PK's internal budget, it could make things less painful if we knew his limitations. 

5 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

As is the rest of the conference... Teams #11-16 are all at 49 points, with games in hand as essentially the only differentiation. The Canes certainly aren't out of it, but they're far from the only team in contention.

We aren't out of it by any stretch of our imagination. We have a chance and if we can put together another win streak a real chance. My point is we don't know at this point  if we will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline. I doubt we are going to go after a grizzled veteran player just to give us a chance at the playoffs. We might make  a trade but the player we get back has to fit the rebuild for more than one playoff run, a player like Duchene . Now if we are firmly in a playoff spot by trade deadline all bets are off. IMO

It'll be interesting one way or another.

The Detroit Red Wings could be trying to move Tomas Jurco, who could be in need of a fresh start elsewhere. 

From SpectorsHockey.net, Lyle Richardson's blog. Would you go after Jurco if the price was right?

I'm not even sure that guy's interesting for free. Hasn't really amounted to anything in the NHL and he's 24, looks like a bust for them.

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

I doubt we are going to go after a grizzled veteran player just to give us a chance at the playoffs.

I don't think that's the motivation for doing it.

I think this team can make the playoffs as is. But we got Bicks for net-front presence and gave Torres a PTO in hopes of adding toughness, and since neither of those goals has been met, it's fair to to assume they're still on RF's list of things to do. Adding a guy with Iginla's hockey sense and experience would achieve both. While having him here for this stretch drive would be a huge plus, I think you get him to model leadership, heavy play, and net-front presence over the next two to three years. As a long-term former Captain who plays the right way, he can be a (very reasonably priced) positive influence--and as a guy still looking to check the "Stanley Cup winner" box on his resume, we know he's positively motivated.

Getting Iginla in a deal with Landy or Skog would be great, but Sakic is purposely making unreasonable demands for those two in hopes someone will bite. He can't do that with Iginla, who is either dealt by the TD, or walks for nothing coming back when the season ends. It seems the perfect opportunity to ship out Ryan Murphy, and allows Sakic to save face, saying he got a former first-round Dman in exchange.

Edited by top-shelf-1

44 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think this team can make the playoffs as is. But we got Bicks for net-front presence and gave Torres a PTO in hopes of adding toughness, and since neither of those goals has been met, it's fair to to assume they're still on RF's list of things to do. Adding a guy with Iginla's hockey sense and experience would achieve both. While having him here for this stretch drive would be a huge plus, I think you get him to model leadership, heavy play, and net-front presence over the next two to three years. As a long-term former Captain who plays the right way, he can be a (very reasonably priced) positive influence--and as a guy still looking to check the "Stanley Cup winner" box on his resume, we know he's positively motivated.

Getting Iginla in a deal with Landy or Skog would be great, but Sakic is purposely making unreasonable demands for those two in hopes someone will bite. He can't do that with Iginla, who is either dealt by the TD, or walks for nothing coming back when the season ends. It seems the perfect opportunity to ship out Ryan Murphy, and allows Sakic to save face, saying he got a former first-round Dman in exchange.

I love the idea of trading Murphy at the deadline. He could be someone's reclamation project, and we don't have room for him, or even want him on the roster, at the end of the season anyways. Way too many young guns with more promise will be looking to crack the lineup next season.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You could be right, but let me ask you...

I think this team can make the playoffs as is

Then why make a trade at all?

we got Bicks for net-front presence and gave Torres a PTO in hopes of adding toughness,

Don't you think we got Bicks as a price you had to pay to get TT? Do you think we had a future plan for him beyond this year? Was Torres ever a viable option?

Adding a guy with Iginla's hockey sense and experience would achieve both. While having him here for this stretch drive would be a huge plus, I think you get him to model leadership, heavy play, and net-front presence over the next two to three years.

Why would you give up assets that could be used later to make a deal for this stretch drive?

He can't do that with Iginla, who is either dealt by the TD, or walks

Why wouldn't Iginia walk on us? If we really want him why not wait and make him and offer?

This move doesn't make sense to me unless we are firmly in a playoff spot by trade deadline but sure it could happen.

You guys do realize Iginla is not coming here, and will not want to come here, right? He's looking for his first championship, and he's getting short on time. Coming here to play mentor is probably not in his interests. A guy like Jagr, who has multiple cups and achievements already, mentoring while playing on a non contender isn't as sad. Iginla, I'm sure, wants to win a cup in his career, which is waning. It's less of a gamble to go to say a Chicago or a Pittsburgh than a team halfway through a rebuild that's been laden with relocation rumors for a franchise that is investing the least amount of money into their roster in the league. I wanted Iginla so bad when he was moved by Calgary initially. Now, he simply does not fit into our team at all. Agewise, speedwise, and the fact he's looking to win now. Sure we may want to win now, but we aren't. And we haven't made the post-season since 2009. So Iginla will laugh in our direction.

@legend-1 Would you do Jurco for Murphy?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

4 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

You guys do realize Iginla is not coming here, and will not want to come here, right? 

I'm pretty sure ;)

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

This move doesn't make sense to me unless we are firmly in a playoff spot by trade deadline but sure it could happen.

Good conversation OBX. My answers:

I think this team can make the playoffs as is

Then why make a trade at all?

To convey to players (and fans) that we're gearing up and are not going to be satisfied with just getting in.

we got Bicks for net-front presence and gave Torres a PTO in hopes of adding toughness,

Don't you think we got Bicks as a price you had to pay to get TT? Do you think we had a future plan for him beyond this year?

Of course Bicks was part of the price for getting TT, but I think what happened with him next year very likely depended on what he was able to bring. I do know both RF and BP were on the record as excited by what his net-front presence would bring to the PP, and I think a strong argument can be made that the lack of that presence is why our PP has been streaky good instead of consistently good.

Was Torres ever a viable option?

I doubt it. I personally was glad we turned him loose, but I do think many of us here believe his presence in camp was meant to put guys on notice that we want more edge. I do recall that RF said something to the effect of wanting to see "If he can play clean and bring that edge that we need," so whether he was ever a viable option isn't the point, as much as the fact that increased toughness is on the brain trust's list of objectives. 

Why would you give up assets that could be used later to make a deal for this stretch drive?

No, but can we really call Murph an asset? If he and a second or third-rounder lets us try Iginla on for size the rest of the way, knowing he could bring to the fourth line and the PP what we hoped Bicks would, I think that alone justifies sending Murph and a low pick.  

Why wouldn't Iginia walk on us? If we really want him why not wait and make him and offer?

Because getting him into the fold now gives us exclusive negotiation rights until his contract is up. Maybe he tests the market anyway, who knows? But even if he does, the couple million he would cost us for the rest of this season seems a very small price to pay for (1) the opportunity to see if he'd be a fit for the next couple of seasons, (2) getting Ryan Murphy off the books, and (3) the proven leadership and tough play that he would model.

In my opinion. B)

Edited by top-shelf-1

Yeah, we have these intense late night phone conversations that go on for hours but feels like seconds.

No, I'm using my brain. Let's forget for a minute Iginla is about 40, has never won a Championship (and most likely wants to), has fallen off drastically production-wise, has his entire life set up in the West coast, and his contract holds a NMC clause. Let's consider Ron Francis plan here. He's stated time and time again he will not pay for an older guy who has no term left on his contract to help the team immediately. That's the exact move you're proposing. Exactly what RF doesn't want to do. You don't move assets for a guy hoping we extend his term come year's end. 

If for whatever reason Iginla wants to be a playing mentor and not win a Stanley Cup in his career (what?) why would he choose Carolina? He'd go to Edmonton, who needs veteran leadership pretty desperately like us for the post-season. Edmonton is Iginla's hometown, where his family is. Nowhere remotely close to Carolina. And Edmonton is actually in a playoff spot, and contending for a cup this year. Not to mention, Iginla's price isn't that high, but we wouldn't be the only team in the league trying to get him. His NMC gives him the power to say no. 

5 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Yeah, we have these intense late night phone conversations that go on for hours but feels like seconds.

No, I'm using my brain. Let's forget for a minute Iginla is about 40, has never won a Championship (and most likely wants to), has fallen off drastically production-wise, has his entire life set up in the West coast, and his contract holds a NMC clause. Let's consider Ron Francis plan here. He's stated time and time again he will not pay for an older guy who has no term left on his contract to help the team immediately. That's the exact move you're proposing. Exactly what RF doesn't want to do. You don't move assets for a guy hoping we extend his term come year's end. 

If for whatever reason Iginla wants to be a playing mentor and not win a Stanley Cup in his career (what?) why would he choose Carolina? He'd go to Edmonton, who needs veteran leadership pretty desperately like us for the post-season. Edmonton is Iginla's hometown, where his family is. Nowhere remotely close to Carolina. And Edmonton is actually in a playoff spot, and contending for a cup this year. Not to mention, Iginla's price isn't that high, but we wouldn't be the only team in the league trying to get him. His NMC gives him the power to say no. 

You're right about RF's comments, except that getting Iginla at this stage of his career is not the kind of "paying an old guy" RF was talking about, IMO. I think he specifically meant 30-ish free agents who are looking to win the lottery, and that's really the deal Iginla is now coming out of. Jagr has set the price for guys his age trying to hang on, and it's around $1 million. While Jags has seen that increase based on his performance, Iginla is dreaming of he thinks he's getting a long-term hi-dollar deal at 40, before he actually helps a team achieve something.

All of that being said, I do agree that it's unlikely he goes anywhere but a team in the running, like a Minnesota or Chicago (I seriously doubt Edmonton, just b/c of his history with their archrival Calgary). But I don't think we shouldn't pursue him, because you just never know. If we say "Jarome, help us out the rest of the way this year and show us you can bring what we need, because we believe we'll be in the mix in the next two years," that may be more attractive to him than the (very low) possibility of getting a ring as a rental.