The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

IF we come out of the 9 team scrum with the 2nd WC spot, which is unlikely, does anyone see us winning a series in the playoffs? Yes, making the playoffs would help attendance, and would mean we played 3 months of really good hockey, because whoever gets that last spot is going to have to. Thus any trade for Duchene or anyone else needs to make sense for next year and beyond. If Sakic really wants a top young roster D, a top prospect and a first, that is absurd. Landeskog and Duchene will not be the only talented forwards available if we are patient, maybe even to the offseason. It's kind of like us trading Eric Staal. If these guys were such difference makers to be worth that price, why does Colorodo have 29 points or whatever.

It's not really anything new, but it was quoted today: the guy quoted is Elliotte Friedman.

The Carolina Hurricanes are a really good fit for the Avs.

“I’m going to tell you – you were talking about Carolina. To me, Carolina is a perfect match for what the Avalanche are trying to do. They have a lot of young defensemen, including guys like Haydn Fleury and Jake Bean, who aren’t even in the NHL yet. So Carolina is a team that could definitely do it.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

So Carolina is a team that could definitely do it

We know Carolina is a team that could do it but would we, will we

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

We know Carolina is a team that could do it but would we, will we

Pk has to show me he has the interest in adding more salary to his internal budget before I get excited about any move. Presently I just have the feeling that it ain't gonna happen .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Pk has to show me he has the interest in adding more salary to his internal budget before I get excited about any move. Presently I just have the feeling that it ain't gonna happen .

I would say that could be a big factor.  We are in a chance of making the playoffs and we don't want to hinder our chance at more money by taking a hit in our D corps.

Also we have 12 million coming off the books this offseason.  Granted we have to re-sign TT.  

Maybe the offseason is a better a time to trade.  We can generate a seasons worth of hype for impoved ticket sales to make the move worth it.  The additional money coming off would make MD's addition a no salary addition.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I would say that could be a big factor.  We are in a chance of making the playoffs and we don't want to hinder our chance at more money by taking a hit in our D corps.

Also we have 12 million coming off the books this offseason.  Granted we have to re-sign TT.  

Maybe the offseason is a better a time to trade.  We can generate a seasons worth of hype for impoved ticket sales to make the move worth it.  The additional money coming off would make MD's addition a no salary addition.

PK may be happy with just reducing. If we lose money again this season the budget may tighten and reduce again.

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

PK may be happy with just reducing. If we lose money again this season the budget may tighten and reduce again.

Is it even possible to reduce even further? I thought we were at the salary floor.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, bluedevilcane said:

Does anyone see us winning a series in the playoffs?

[...]

It's kind of like us trading Eric Staal. If these guys were such difference makers to be worth that price, why does Colorodo have 29 points or whatever.

There's really no telling, that's the beauty of hockey. It is so much about getting on a roll. Plus, I'm still not sure NYR, Ottawa, or Boston hangs on. NYR is playing .500 hockey over their last 10, and Boston and Ott are just a few points ahead of the Leafs. If any of them comes far enough back to the field and Philly keeps playing poorly, the last two spots could go to teams now below the cut line.

As for the trade, I don't equate Landy or Duche to Eric at all. Both are younger, neither are about to be free agents, and the Avs' issue is (1) defense and goaltending that makes a colander look solid, and (2) Patrick Roy jumping ship at the eleventh hour, like the spineless weenie he really is.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Getting into the playoffs is step one of winning a playoff series.  You got to buy a ticket if you want to play.

I'd rather make the playoffs and get swept in the first round than miss out again.  This team needs to break the cycle of losing.  Just getting 2 home playoff games would be huge for this organization.  Don't underestimate that fact.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

11 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't think that PK's money issues will be a problem. If Ron wants to add to our payroll, he appears to have the green light. This was from the week prior to our 5 game losing skid:

"When you look at our cap situation we've got a lot of room, so I think we're a team that teams will be calling if they're looking to move some things," Francis said. "Our payroll is at a position where we could certainly add some things there, too. So I think we're sitting in a good position. As we've said from Day 1, we're going to make decisions that are not only good for us right now but long term.

"If the right deal is there, then we're certainly going to make it. If not, we'll sit tight and continue to grow it from within."

I doubt Ron Francis says this if PK did not give him the green light to make the moves he thinks is necessary. So if we do or don't do something in the trade market, I think the reason will be because Ron Francis doesn't want to make the move, not because PK has closed the purse.

Top, I guess to your point, Eric has been great for the Wild this year, but could not do squat for us the last couple of years. I'm not against acquiring Duchene or Landeskog, but realistically, even if the Rangers fall back out of the 1st WC, now there would be 10 teams fighting for two spots. Nobody would be happier than me if we got one of them. I'm just saying, don't go all in on this season by making a one-sided trade. Nothing I've seen from RF suggests he would do that under any circumstances  anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Supposedly MDs price went up again.  Ill pass on a young Dman, a plus prospect, a 1st and a 2nd.  

He would be a good addition but not for that much.  

Pass.  If someone wants to pay that much so be it.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Supposedly MDs price went up again.  Ill pass on a young Dman, a plus prospect, a 1st and a 2nd.  

He would be a good addition but not for that much.  

Sounds about like what JR gave up for JStaal.  RF isn't JR, though, of course.

The old reported price was too high.  The new one is "don't answered the phone" high.

Young players contributing on entry level contracts are some of the most valuable assets out there.  You don't just give up 2 or 3 of those in a deal unless you are getting a superstar or are just desperate.

10 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Pass.  If someone wants to pay that much so be it.

You know, the sad thing hag is that right now, a GM or 2 is salivating at the chance to acquire one of them. Certainly hope, as much as we might use one, that RF doesn't give in to the temptation?

On another front, Thomas Vanek's name is being flaunted by Detroit. Too old for our team?

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

The old reported price was too high.  The new one is "don't answered the phone" high.

Young players contributing on entry level contracts are some of the most valuable assets out there.  You don't just give up 2 or 3 of those in a deal unless you are getting a superstar or are just desperate.

Exactly.  At thag price l, I want to wait until the expansion draft to utilize our assets.  We'll have more bargaining power as well. Columbus, Anahiem, Dallas, and Tampa will have some good young players available.  That is if they cant move overpriced veterans, most in their mid to upper 30s.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Francis won't overpay. If the supposedly already high price is somehow going higher, Francis will withdraw.

Today it was suggested that Sakic wants a high-end, young prospect-age defenseman, plus 2. Probably a first rounder and another prospect.

Here's the quote:

LeBrun on TSN 690 on the asking price for Duchene.

“It’s been laid out by Joe Sakic to about a dozen teams,” noted LeBrun. “He wants a high-end, young prospect-age defenseman – or if not prospect, in his early 20s – as part of a package that also includes plus-plus. Whether that’s a first-round pick and another asset, who knows. Depends on the team making the offer. But it’s a huge ask for Matt Duchene.”

The more I watch him, the more I don't want to give up Hanifin, let alone Hanifin plus 2.

But that says high end prospect-age defenseman, and a package. Fleury is prospect-age. Is he high end? Maybe. He was the second D man taken, has the size and smooth skating. And a Fleury for Duchene deal would have to include other guys from our end to be fair.

Fleury plus our first rounder, plus Roy. That is a heck of a lot of upside. Roy is a very highly regarded prospect at this point.

That gives them three seriously potential NHL players, one of which has high end D potential. And on paper we are a good team to get our first rounder because if we slip that could be a high pick and carry at least a small lottery shot.

We still have Gauthier and Bean (and Hanifin).

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

Not sure exact rules on what can be protected in the expansion draft for vegas- but do think that will decide many moves at the deadline. Teams are looking at who they can protect, and then if going to lose in expansion draft anyway, might as well try and package them now for something imo, .

4 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Not sure exact rules on what can be protected in the expansion draft for vegas- but do think that will decide many moves at the deadline. Teams are looking at who they can protect, and then if going to lose in expansion draft anyway, might as well try and package them now for something imo, .

I believe it is why we haven't seen a deal for MD and Lando yet.  The teams who have enough talent, money, etc to give up that much of their future already have too many people to protect.  

Most of the teams that may lose some one are in a playoff race.  They won't move anyone until after the season.

15 hours ago, remkin said:

Here's the quote:

LeBrun on TSN 690 on the asking price for Duchene.

“It’s been laid out by Joe Sakic to about a dozen teams,” noted LeBrun. “He wants a high-end, young prospect-age defenseman – or if not prospect, in his early 20s – as part of a package that also includes plus-plus. Whether that’s a first-round pick and another asset, who knows. Depends on the team making the offer. But it’s a huge ask for Matt Duchene.”

Duchene ain't good enough for this deal to even be considered.

Edited by JCLA