The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

I think perhaps the hardest thing in trying to arm chair, amateur- analyze hockey, is trying to gauge how good a young player is going to be when he grows up. Francis has admitted that even professional scouts admit that once you get past the top 3-7 guys in a draft year, there is a lot of luck involved. Last year he looked at about 3-4 forwards as "can't miss" and after that said every guy had downside that was hard to factor. He also admitted that, "you either pick at the top of the draft, or you have to get lucky."

So with that from him, I am nobody. So I fully understand I could be wrong here.

But in general it is so hard to predict who is going to settle into really good careers when they are so young. It works both ways too. Some guys break out their rookie year, then regress and a lot of guys struggle to develop early, but bloom into amazing players. Even more so on defense it seems.

Most guys, especially defenseman, get to devlope out of sight out of mind in junior hockey or college or some far off land like Finland. When Bean makes a dumb play (and at a much lower level) we are not all there watching it. Same with Fleury. Even Slavin, Pesce and Faulk, none of them were on full NHL display at 18 years old. We get to watch Hanifin develop at the highest level of hockey in the world at the most difficult position to learn, right in front of our eyes. But it is hard to accurately evaluate. You have to factor in his age, but how much?

This does not mean he'll be great. He has not been Ekblad. He is very talented but not a savant. He may never get his game tightened up. But it's also hard to gauge because at some conscious or subconscious level, we expect him to be good now. As good as the other guys around him.

But if he does continue to improve, as would be the normal expectations, he seems to possess the innate size and skating and skill to be very good.

I can't help but keep thinking of the interview I heard with a long careered D man on XM a couple of months ago. He said that he did not really feel his NHL game coming together until he was 23. That's 3-4 more seasons for Hanifin.

It could be that the vast bulk of scouts and nearly everyone on this board were wrong when we did back flips about drafting Hanifin #5. Many analysts listed him as a guy who might go #1 in a year that didn't have McEichel and Strome and Marner. And there were a few that were less impressed, famously Craig Button.

But to my very amateur eye Hanifin possesses the raw ability and smoothness to grow into a Ryan Suter type guy. There are little signs of lots of great little plays he does make. But the position is unforgiving at this level and his mistakes glare. I just think it's too soon to bail on him. (Just like it's too soon to bail on the coach). 

In the end, though, I defer to our brain trust. If they move Hanifin, then I am confident that they felt it was worth the risk. But this armchair GM does not trade him.

Faulk on the other hand....

Edited by remkin

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-carolina-hurricanes-blueline-depth-drawing-interest/2017/02/18/

Basically that a lot of teams are poking around our blueline depth. Also that we have a lot of cap space to make a deal work.

There is still a lot about the LandesDuchene thing, but other teams too:

One quote from that:

The Tampa Bay Lightning, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Winnipeg Jets and Detroit Red Wings are just a few of the teams that might be interested in their defensemen.

Could the Hurricanes be able to get William Nylander from the Leafs?

Whether it's a won't accept losing guy or a can put the puck in the net guy, or both, I really would like to see something happen.

Edited by remkin

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Or time to give one of the Chex a look?

Or he will be part of a trade and the team getting him wants to make sure he clears and can be assigned to the AHL?

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Or he will be part of a trade and the team getting him wants to make sure he clears and can be assigned to the AHL?

Who knows, but I hope it's your original question. :crossfingers:

Edited by LakeLivin

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Who knows, but I hope it's you're original question.

With the Canes calling up DiGi it might be as simple as a roster move but really who knows?  Everything is magnified as you approach trade deadline

I hate to be cynical because I want a trade as much as anyone probably, but how many times have these roster moves gotten the pulse up, only to be, well not a trade.

Could just be bringing PDG up for a bit of a shake up. He plays hard and fast, and we could use that as well as a healthy scratching of someone.

But you never know.....

Over on the Avs board I threw out the proposition that one way that the Avs could facilitate a deal with the Canes would be include in it Pickard and Lack.  Pickard is still unproven and it seems the verdict is still out as to his ultimate potential.  I'm sure we'd have to sweeten the pot quite a bit given Lack's performance and contract, but Pickard seems like he might be worth considering as part of a bigger deal, especially given how he looked last night (although that's just a minor part of any evaluation of him).

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Over on the Avs board I threw out the proposition that one way that the Avs could facilitate a deal with the Canes would be include in it Pickard and Lack.  Pickard is still unproven and it seems the verdict is still out as to his ultimate potential.  I'm sure we'd have to sweeten the pot quite a bit given Lack's performance and contract, but Pickard seems like he might be worth considering as part of a bigger deal, especially given how he looked last night (although that's just a minor part of any evaluation of him).

What did they ask for Slavin, Hanifin,a 1st rounder and prospect?

51 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

What did they ask for Slavin, Hanifin,a 1st rounder and prospect?

Nah, they mostly just didn't want to include Pickard because they haven't got any other options in goal.  They don't see him as necessarily "the answer", but he's the best they've got and cheap (they don't see Varlimov as the answer).

A fari number of the posters on that board are pretty reasonable.  There are several that would do Duchene / Faulk straight up or Duchene / Hanifin + reasonable add.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Not sure who the Avs want. I would not part with Slavin or Pesce. Faulk seems to be who the most Canes fans are willing to part with, which probably means he is not the guy Colorado is asking for. There was discussion of having to trade our first round pick. It now looks like that pick (absent fortuitous draw in the lottery) could be anywhere fro 3rd overall to 14th. How do you value that in a trade? I know this is supposed to be a weak draft, but I'm sure 3rd overall has a much higher chance of being a difference maker than lthe last couple of non-playoff team draft spot. If we trade the pick and make the playoffs then I guess this question is moot.

• Like 1

Well its time to go back to my original stance:

save all the assets for pre expansion draft trades, give away Hainsey, and give Fluery and McKeown tryouts on the roster.

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well its time to go back to my original stance:

save all the assets for pre expansion draft trades, give away Hainsey, and give Fluery and McKeown tryouts on the roster.

Yep- season over, look long term and a better draft pick this year.. no short term fixes.. only long term

Sell! Sell! All UFAs must go! It's the Canes Annual Going-Out-Of-Playoffs sale! We will not be undersold! Make us an offer! Make us an offer! You want washed up slow defensemen? We have some! You want borderline NHL players? We have those, too! Bad prospects, no prospects? It doesn't matter, we'll take your late round picks! But you've gotta hurry! Deadline is approaching fast! **

**All trades final. No, you can't have a new stuff.

It is time for a move, but not just a slight scraping off of low end, soon to be UFA, near 40 year olds.

This team needs a shocker, wake up trade. Even if it doesn't lead to where we want to go this year, they need to see that losing is not tolerated, and frankly the fan base needs to see that Francis will do something more than collect third round draft picks.

I have moved firmly to the "trade no top potential yutes" catergory. This season is now officially a long shot (though not over yet due to, yes, wait for it, GIH).  Still, just like that, decisions now have to assume that this team is not going to get there. So you don't up and trade your elite upside players, and for the sake of this discussion, I'm talking about Hanifin. He makes too many very high skill plays as a freshly 20 year old D man. We will regret trading him.

Sure there are the pending UFAs: Hainsey. I don't know what is going on with him, if he's hurt, or if his age is finally catching up with him, but since we have flipped into long shot mode on this year, he can go. But getting a second or third rounder, is at best a long term possible slight help. McClement? I'm fine with making room for a Poturalski, but he's not bringing anything of value back either.

There are forward names like Jordan Staal, who I would not have even considered trading, but the one name that stands out to me is J Faulk. His defense is what it is, so other than our team situation, will this three time All Stars' value ever be higher?

It's hard to focus on one thing when a team can't seem to do anything right, but less than one goal/game will never get it done. And the defensive issues will come together around Slavin and Pesce as our defensive core matures. We need higher end forwards.

I'd be shopping Faulk far and wide and take any decent offer that brings back a forward.

Edited by remkin

I guess it is time to begin looking at our FA

McClement

Ryan

Stalberg

Hainsey

Tennyson

Leighton

Bickell ( you can't trade Bickell given his  illness)

I hope we find Hainsey a playoff bound team.

McClement and Stalberg should bring back a modest return

Ryan probable stays

RFA's

McGinn

Teravainen

Dahlbeck

RFA's aren't your typical rental move but this season has some added mystery over actual trade deadline hockey trades so I included them

Next years UFAs (could be in play)

Stempniak

Lack

Ward

We will not move Nordstrom or Stepniak unless we get a forward back that we can expose in the Expansion draft.  Those two are really the only choices we have absent a contract extension for one of the RFAs or UFAs.  

But I agree with the sentiment that we need a "shake up" trade.  To me the only guys not in the discussion are Slavin, Pesce and Aho (perhaps Hanifan).  Everyone else is on the table, including Staal, Skinner, and Faulk.  Unless a contender gets really desparate, I think this sort of trade will happen in the off-season

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Bickell ( you trade Bickell given his  illness)

Problem is nobody would take him.  He'll likely be a UFA before he's able to suit up for a single game - nobody would give even an 8th-rounder for that.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Problem is nobody would take him.  He'll likely be a UFA before he's able to suit up for a single game - nobody would give even an 8th-rounder for that.

It was suppose to read You Can't trade Bickell given his illness  I'll fix that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Any idea what Hainsey would bring? I just can't think more than second rounder. Am I wrong?

I can't imagine he would either.  But if you could package him, say Hainsey + Lack for a legit 1A goaltender or something similar, maybe you could turn him into something.