The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Any idea what Hainsey would bring? I just can't think more than second rounder. Am I wrong?

I'm thinking more like a 3rd round pick. Maybe a 3rd and a 6th or something like that.

I think we should remember Francis has said in the past that he always would want to get something rather than nothing for a FA. He also likes to make room for prospects.

Just to be clear from my end. I've always been fine with moving McClement, and I've recently moved to being fine with Hainsey going, and Lack and Murphy and whatever other underbrush needs clearing, but I just don't think that's enough to get what we need.

One thing to keep in mind:

Teams cannot reacquire players they trade after Jan. 1, 2017 prior to Jan. 1, 2018.

Personally, I wouldn't mind bringing Stalberg back.  I see him as being a key contributor to our successful PK, and I don't mind him on our 4th line.

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

It's hard to think Lack has even 1/3 the value of Hainsey. I would put Lack's value just a notch under Murphy's.

Can't argue with that either.  But more the principle than Lack himself - just that if Hainsey could be packaged, perhaps Francis could actually get something useful for the future.  This is another hypothetical one that would never truly happen, but say if RF could package Hainsey + Murphy + a pick for Landeskog?  Where do i sign up?  But if Hainsey could be looked at as a sidepiece rather than the whole tamale, the trade deadline could perhaps get real.

8 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Can't argue with that either.  But more the principle than Lack himself - just that if Hainsey could be packaged, perhaps Francis could actually get something useful for the future.  This is another hypothetical one that would never truly happen, but say if RF could package Hainsey + Murphy + a pick for Landeskog?  Where do i sign up?  But if Hainsey could be looked at as a sidepiece rather than the whole tamale, the trade deadline could perhaps get real.

You're right, Avs have absolutely no use for a rental this year.  

• Like 1

Hainsey deserves to go to a playoff team. Simple as that. He has been a steady D-man and appears to be standup guy. The return for a rental isn't huge but get what you can and let him taste the playoffs.

Luke pretty much nailed it I thought in his N&O piece

Give Ron Hainsey, the NHL’s all-time record-holder with 890 games played without a playoff appearance, a shot at the postseason he won’t get here. It doesn’t really matter what you can get for him. Just get something.

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm curious, does anybody else believe Murphy has negative trade value?

Well Murphy was a 1st rounder and your not going to get a 1st round pick for him, Murphy (sometimes) is a roster player and I doubt you would get a roster player in trade for trade.  A team needing to dump a contract might take him on a one for one. He should have value as a add-on but overall negative value at this point

44 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If he was on a 2-way contract I could see him having potential value for certain franchises, but he's not. 

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Raises hand

JR would trade Murphy and a 3rd for future considerations

1 hour ago

Other rental D in play with AAV: Streit (PHI 5.25*); Del Zotto (PHI 3.875); Schultz (PHI 2.25); Oduya (DAL 3.75); B Smith (DET 2.75)..

More rental D: Quincey (NJ 1.25); Hainsey (CAR 2.83); Kulikov (BUF 4.33); Shattenkirk (STL 4.25); Wideman (CGY 5.25); Postma (WPG 887K)

Family first?

22 minutes ago, JCLA said:

Philip Samuelsson (Ulf Sammuelsson's son) for Keegan Lowe.

41 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Family first?

I guess so.  From what I have read, statistically, Keegan has been the better player this year and he's younger.  So this trade doesn't make much sense to me.

Keagan Lowe - 23 Y/O 49GP 3G 9A 12P 53PIM +4

Philip Samuelsson - 25 Y/O 40GP 1G 4A 5P 21PIM -7

Edited by JCLA

3 minutes ago, JCLA said:

I guess so.  From what I have read, statistically, Keegan has been the better player this year and he's younger.  So this trade doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't see it at the moment but perhaps it is part of a bigger plan.

13 minutes ago, JCLA said:

Has to be so Dad can coach son. I see it as "two AHL players not bound for the NHL, so why not?" type of thing. Keagan Lowe is .... wait a minute..... I feel a pre deadline, "something bigger is going on" conspiracy theory coming on.....

Keegan Lowe is the son of Keven Lowe, who is Vice Chairman of the Oilers. So, maybe Keven wanted Keegan to go to the Montreal system and this is a good will gesture ahead of an impending trade with the Oilers! Yes, yes, that must be it!

No, it's the first thing.

Edited by remkin

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Has to be so Dad can coach son. I see it as "two AHL players not bound for the NHL, so why not?" type of thing. Keagan Lowe is .... wait a minute..... I feel a pre deadline, "something bigger is going on" conspiracy theory coming on.....

Keegan Lowe is the son of Keven Lowe, who is Vice Chairman of the Oilers. So, maybe Keven wanted Keegan to go to the Montreal system and this is a good will gesture ahead of an impending trade with the Oilers! Yes, yes, that must be it!

No, it's the first thing.

"In one of the strangest deals we've seen so far, two AHL players were recently swapped between the Montreal and Edmonton franchises. Edmonton gets Lowe, son of Keven Lowe, and Montreal get's some kid they refer to as pool party? Am I reading that, right, Jim?"