The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

48 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

"In one of the strangest deals we've seen so far, two AHL players were recently swapped between the Montreal and Edmonton franchises. Edmonton gets Lowe, son of Keven Lowe, and Montreal get's some kid they refer to as pool party? Am I reading that, right, Jim?"

Had to Google that one.

On a more serious note, I'm hoping that RF is just getting his pen warmed up for a more substantial deal? Just hope this isn't the extent of his trading pre-deadline, but I just have a very negative feeling that we won't be seeing much more before the off season, aside from allowing a few of our UFAs (Hainsey), the respect to go at least play in playoffs?

14 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

So Ulf's son comes to the Checkers....This is what I hate about the Canes; to much nepotism in the way they run the business...

159217-stripes-lighten-up-francis-gif-9G

It didn't involve anybody who was anybody, just a little rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic.  The days of JR and the Staals are gone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If RF traded for Bishop.  Is there any way to protect him over Ward from the expansion draft?

Bishop is a UFA, and I believe Ward has a NMC of some sort, which means Carolina must protect him him.

From: Mailbag: NHL Trade Deadline, Expansion Draft outlook

NHL.com's Dan Rosen answers weekly questions

After the trade deadline, Marc-Andre Fleury will be playing for the ________? -- @petefrompitt

Pittsburgh Penguins.

The better question is to ask who Fleury will be playing for next season. My guess is the Carolina Hurricanes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see RF & JR ever making a trade.

I didn't realize Bishop was a UFA.  I would be fine with Bishop (assuming he resigned) or Fleury coming here and competing with cam Ward for the 1 G spot.  We have nobody in the farm who is ready.  We also have no forwards in the system that will help us make a dent in the armor next season.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now and are worse off than when Eric Staal was on the team whether you all want to admit it or not.  Not resigning him was a terrible decision.  You say he was checked out I say he was not properly utilized.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Bishop is a UFA, and I believe Ward has a NMC of some sort, which means Carolina must protect him him.

Nope. Ward has a NTC, not a NMC, so we can protect any goalie we want.

6 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

4 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

Nope. Ward has a NTC, not a NMC, so we can protect any goalie we want.

Ward's contract as per CapFriendly:

CLAUSE DETAILS: Modified NTC: Submits a list of 15 teams he can be traded to.

Quickly changing my post to reflect Min's assessment after reading the wording on the NHLs site.

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Plus, the NHL put out a preliminary Expansion Draft exempt list due to NMCs and the only Cane on it was Jordan Staal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/official-nhl-expansion-draft-exempt-list-contains-surprises/

Edited by LakeLivin

9 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I didn't realize Bishop was a UFA.  I would be fine with Bishop (assuming he resigned) or Fleury coming here and competing with cam Ward for the 1 G spot.  We have nobody in the farm who is ready.  We also have no forwards in the system that will help us make a dent in the armor next season.  We are in a pretty bad spot right now and are worse off than when Eric Staal was on the team whether you all want to admit it or not.  Not resigning him was a terrible decision.  You say he was checked out I say he was not properly utilized.

That's why I was a big proponent of trading for Bishop last summer, so he could essentially be on a tryout for this season, instead of signing him like we did Lack.

And Eric was not going to sign back here.  He stated a few months ago that he attributes his resurgence this season to not having to be a captain, and being the face of a losing franchise.  To me, those statements kinda proves he did check out to some extent.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Ward's contract as per CapFriendly:

CLAUSE DETAILS: Modified NTC: Submits a list of 15 teams he can be traded to.

Quickly changing my post to reflect Min's assessment after reading the wording on the NHLs site.

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Plus, the NHL put out a preliminary Expansion Draft exempt list due to NMCs and the only Cane on it was Jordan Staal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/official-nhl-expansion-draft-exempt-list-contains-surprises/

Good stuff, and yeah I wasn't 100% sure of the expansion rules.  But anyway, I'm all for acquiring Fleury.  I know RF wanted to use the Ward/Lack combo until Nedeljkovic is ready, but they are working out and he's been underwhelming.  Really, the only move to be made is to acquire a veteran goalie.  We saw how big of a turnaround Florida made a season after acquiring Luongo.  I'd give up NYR's 2nd + Zykov.

21 hours ago, Pkling40 said:

Can we please find/trade for another goalie - Cam can not play all 82 games for petes sake ?

Well the Pete that counts (Karmanos) says he can and he will! 

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Was reading up a bit on Fleury (the Marc-Andre one), I know a few of you have proposed a trade around him.  Ran across this.  Seems he doesn't do well with long layoffs.  Anyway, here is the link from the Pittsburgh Times.

Should Fleury Stay or Go

He is also (reputedly) an absolute head case. And I'm not talking just typical goalie head case-ness. I can see him bludgeoning one of our (alleged) "top" pairing D-men if they play in front of him the way they have this season.

Edited by top-shelf-1

32 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He is also (reputedly) an absolute head case. And I'm not talking just typical goalie head case-ness. I can see him bludgeoning one of our (alleged) "top" pairing D-men if they play in front of him the way they have this season.

So . . . is that a good thing or a bad thing? :P

It Begins!

Ron Hainsey to Penguins in return Hurricanes gets a 2nd pick and Danny Kristo.

Carolina retains 50 percent of Ron Hainsey salary/cap hit in the trade

Danny Kristo

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jun 18 1990 -- Edina, MN
[26 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 188 [183 cm/85 kg]

Talent Analysis

At times, Kristo lacks the consistency and the work ethic needed to play at the NHL level but definitely not the skills. He has quick acceleration, a powerful stride and uses his explosive speed to help make space for him offensively. The talented winger is equally fast with or without the puck and has developed the ability to shoot the puck while in full stride toward the net with a quick, accurate release.

Future

Kristo was the top goal scorer for St. Louis AHL affiliate Chicago in 2015-16 in his first season in the Blues' organization. Signed to a one-year contract by St. Louis, he would become an unrestricted free agent if not tendered a qualifying offer. A consistent scorer in each of his three AHL seasons, Kristo has yet to make his NHL debut. He could be an interesting free agent option for a team in need of scoring but is equally likely to play out his career at the minor pro level or head to Europe.

More on Kristo

Canes Deal Hainsey to Penguins for Pick, Kristo by Terrell Williams

Kristo, 26, has totaled 13 points (6g, 7a) and 12 penalty minutes in 40 games with the Chicago Wolves and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the American Hockey League (AHL) this season

Hanisey has been a good Hurricane IMO.

Hainsey, 35, played 300 games in a Hurricanes uniform, ranking 10th among defensemen since the team's arrival in North Carolina. The Bolton, CT, native is in his 14th NHL season and has totaled 250 points (49g, 201a) in 891 career NHL games.

Again IMO he has been steady and responsible but the time to move on has come. I'm happy we found a playoff bound  team for him.  I thought he deserved that.