The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

Pens get a dependable d-man for depth.

Canes get a good return for an expiring contract.

Hainsey gets rewarded for being a good foot soldier.

Win/Win/Win

Somebody here mentioned missing JR?  He could never read the writing on the wall and pull the trigger on this trade.  What could have been if he had traded Gleason and Ruutu when their deals were expiring and the Canes were on the outside looking in?

Yep, I'm overjoyed for Ron Hainsey to finally taste playoffs. Sorry its with Pittsburgh, but good luck and God speed. Now, bring on our AHL Fleury, not the goalie, whom I fear is a true "head case".

Great trade for the Canes.  As said above, win/win on this one.  And I am happy for Hainsey to finally break the playoff-less streak he carries.  

Hainsey is a lefty, so I imagine we will play Dahlbeck in his spot.  

27 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

The fire sale begins.  What a nightmare of a season.  So far, I have not been impressed with RF as GM.

Guy just got a second round pick for a 35 year old 5-6 pairing defenseman with an expiring contract.  What else do you want?

Edited by JCLA

7 minutes ago, JCLA said:

Blame JR for that, not RF

JR is no longer the GM and has not been the GM for 3 years.  It's time to either start making the playoffs or show some form of progress year after year.  So far, neither has occurred.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

The fire sale begins.  What a nightmare of a season.  So far, I have not been impressed with RF as GM.

Holy cow. What a joy. Not sure why you torture yourself all day every day but it must be exhausting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

JR is no longer the GM and has not been the GM for 3 years.  It's time to either start making the playoffs or show some form of progress year after year.  So far, neither has occurred.

RF has spent three years cleaning up the mess JR created which in the sports world is comparable to what katrina did to Louisiana.  

If you can't see progress you're just blinded by your pessimist glasses.  You didn't show up ranting and raving until the huge slump our extremely young team has hit in the past month.  

Let's not forget our extremely young team was one point out of a playoff spot just a month ago.  If Skinner and Rask don't hit the proverbial wall we are having an entirely different conversation right now.  In our last 13 we are 3-9-1 in which Rask has 0 points and skinner has 4.  

Lets also not forget our extremely young team is competing in the toughest division in hockey.

Take off the blinders.

• Like 1

Ok let me get excited for not making the playoffs for the 7th or 8th year in a row.  The 2nd round pick and AHL player will surely put us over the top.  There is a lot to be excited about with being the very last team in the East, having no 1 C, a complete and utter lack of scoring, and no prospects in the pipeline that will help with our scoring, all on top of being the lowest salaried team in the league.  The team has shown progress year after year with their scoring, goals against, and power play.  Rask is truly established himself as an elite 1 C and Eric's replacement.  Things are totally going in the right direction.  Just look no further than Ward and Lack who we signed to an extension before playing a single game as a Hurricane.  That move was brilliant and has really panned out for our team's future. I can sleep at night knowing how good our goal tending tandem is and will continue to be,

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

Ok let me get excited for not making the playoffs for the 7th or 8th year in a row.  The 2nd round pick and AHL player will surely put us over the top.  There is a lot to be excited about with being the very last team in the East, having no 1 C, a complete and utter lack of scoring, and no prospects in the pipeline that will help with our scoring, all on top of being the lowest salaried team in the league.  The team has shown progress year after year with their scoring, goals against, and power play.  Rask is truly established himself as an elite 1 C and Eric's replacement.  Things are totally going in the right direction.  Just look no further than Ward and Lack who we signed to an extension before playing a single game as a Hurricane.  That move was brilliant and has really panned out for our team's future.

Now, doesn't that make you feel better?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Ok let me get excited for not making the playoffs for the 7th or 8th year in a row.  The 2nd round pick and AHL player will surely put us over the top.  There is a lot to be excited about with being the very last team in the East, having no 1 C, a complete and utter lack of scoring, and no prospects in the pipeline that will help with our scoring, all on top of being the lowest salaried team in the league.  The team has shown progress year after year with their scoring, goals against, and power play.  Rask is truly established himself as an elite 1 C and Eric's replacement.  Things are totally going in the right direction.  Just look no further than Ward and Lack who we signed to an extension before playing a single game as a Hurricane.  That move was brilliant and has really panned out for our team's future.

You. Don't. Build. Continuous. Winners. Through. Free. Agency.

It's called patience.  Don't blame 7-8 years of non playoffs on RF when he's only been here for three.  He's doing a fine job.

Edited by JCLA
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I want to see Fleury up now.  He deserves it.

He may get a cup of coffee at this point, but I would guess he still plays the majority of the rest of the season with Charlotte. Not because he can't do well up with the Canes, but I think the organization probably thinks having the Checkers make the AHL playoffs would do them so much good, that it is better to keep that team rolling. Pulling Fleury up to the NHL for anything more than a few games would hurt the Checkers at a critical time.

6 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

He may get a cup of coffee at this point, but I would guess he still plays the majority of the rest of the season with Charlotte. Not because he can't do well up with the Canes, but I think the organization probably thinks having the Checkers make the AHL playoffs would do them so much good, that it is better to keep that team rolling. Pulling Fleury up to the NHL for anything more than a few games would hurt the Checkers at a critical time.

They aren't going to burn a year of anybody's entry level contract at this point, so yes, a few games maybe.

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

They aren't going to burn a year of anybody's entry level contract at this point, so yes, a few games maybe.

His ELC has been burning away the whole year in Charlotte. Playing in Raleigh won't change that because he is already 20 years old and had his ELC slide two years already while he was in juniors.

6 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

His ELC has been burning away the whole year in Charlotte. Playing in Raleigh won't change that because he is already 20 years old and had his ELC slide two years already while he was in juniors.

This is all too complicated for a simpleton like me.

• Like 1

I don't fault RF. We are unwilling to spend money. That's on the owner. And it does not just affect free agency. If you trade for a high end player, he comes with a high end salary, or will need a contract soon with a high end salary. We are not going to spend the least money in the NHL, or close to it, year after year, and become Stanley Cup contenders. I truly thank Karmanos for bringing hockey to Raleigh and other things he has done to build interest in the sport here. But we need new ownership who will take the handcuffs off management and let us compete on a level playing field. And of course, who will keep the team in Raleigh.

I have mixed feelings about this. I am indeed happy for Hainsey, who has been a good soldier, and gets the most out of his aging abilities most nights. The guy has never tasted the playoffs and this is good for him. It  also probably buys the Canes a bit more goodwill as a team that will take care of loyal players.

I am also happy that Francis is making moves. Hopefully this was one to loosen up the trading arm before the real trade.

I also think the team needed a shake up.

I am less excited about the return. To be clear, I don't mean it's not a good return for Hainsey, but just the return itself. I'm all about late bloomers, but by 26 you haven't made it. And Pittsburgh's second rounder will be just before the third round. Hey, we've had some really good drafting lately, and it's also a pick that could be thrown into another deal, and it's fair return for Hainsey, but even if that guy ends up bucking the trend of about a 1/6 chance of making the NHL for any decent length of time, it will be a few years.

A small part of me wonders what Jordan Staal is thinking, since Francis assured him we would not be sellers if we were still in it. Are we? Well maybe barely, but with a team that is not getting it done, probably not enough runway. This is not a big issue, hopefully.

It is also a bit of cold water on any flickering, fading fan hopes for this year. It suggests that Francis thinks our current 1 goal per game anemic offense isn't going to improve in any meaningful way, and so, might as well start selling the pieces off. Many here are already there, but there is something about the GM seeming to confirm it.

But, like I said, mixed feelings. I do think that getting some NHL ice time for some key Checkers (Fleury, McKeown) will help in the long run. And I have to face it, while I liked Hainsey's game through most of the year, he has fallen way off the last 8-10 games.

This is a small ball move. Hey, we need to make those and you never know which extra pick ends up becoming Roy, or Slavin, or gets another deal done, but it is smallball. It is GMRF's increasingly apparent absolute rule: don't come up empty on expiring contract players. Get something.

In a way this is a continuation of phase I rebuild: trade aging, expiring players for picks/prospects. Which is fine, but the horizon is so far out on guys like this, that it is really hard to get excited about these moves now. From point of view of return, it is no longer exciting to me to pick up a near third round guy and another AHL level player. Just to be clear, this is not saying this is not a good move, it probably is. Just not a return that get's me very excited at this point in the rebuild.

The question now, is not so much whether he sells of the remaining pending UFA's, but does he make a splash? Does he move a non pending UFA? I am firmly convinced that he needs to at some point to get a scoring forward. Is the deadline the time? Maybe not, but guys like that don't grow on trees, and no matter when they are available the price will be high.

I do wish Hainsey well. For us, I await a more substantial move.

Edited by remkin

The trade deadline is for contenders to prepare themselves for a run and non-playoff teams to maximize their benefits at the expense of the contenders.  Almost anything can happen for sure, but a true shake-up trade will very likely occur in the off-season, before the FA period.

• Like 1