The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

Bigfist, did you ever see any games Mueller coached? With much more of a veteran team than we have had the last 3 years, we played like we were lost. You have to rank Lavi #1, because he won the cup. But he lost the team the next year. Went to Philly, took them to the conference finals (with Leighton as their goalie!!), then lost the team and was canned after 4 games of year 4. Not sure whether he will hang on this time in Nashville. But I never felt like we were out of any game when we were down 2 goals. I liked his pedal to the metal philosophy on offense. Maurice - despite the Stanley Cup finals appearance, and our conference finals run in 2009, he has never gotten much love on these boards. His style of hockey was boring, but he did have 3 playoff appearances, so give him that. I feel more confidence in Peters than his record deserves, but you are right that we need to see year over year improvement if he is going to stay, and that's not happening at this point. It's time for Ronnie to turn some of our "assets" - draft choices and prospects -into immediate help. The needs are pretty obvious. If that happens this offseason and the record still stagnates, I agree it's time for a change. For starters, this list in the Metropolitan is not likely to change any time soon: Lundquist, Holtby, Murray, Bobrovski. Give Peters someone whose name fits on that list to roll out every night, and then judge him.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I would be very surprised if we traded Faulk now. I admit there is and has been a lot of speculation about Faulk but I don't see it. He wouldn't go for a rental price, I'm sure of that. If someone wants him bad enough I suppose it could happen but they would have to overpay. 

We don't have anyone in the system that can replace him yet.

I do think Hainsey's trade makes moving Faulk less likely, but not impossible. I do think moving Faulk would be a toss in on this season though, so it might be a last minute move if the Canes lose the next two.

We would go Pesce-Tenyson-Murphy on the Right and Slavin-Hanifin-Dahlbeck on the left. It would be and adventure, but if it got us the guy we need for the future, we would put Fleury and McKeown in there next year.

I agree though, the return would have to be very good. Faulk would more likely be an offseason trade if at all.

We just need high end forward soooo bad that if someone offered one up for Faulk I pull the trigger. But that's me. I've given up on Faulk playing NHL caliber defense, so to me it's a steal if we get a needed piece up front.

Edited by remkin

Since RF and JR have such a good relationship as trade partners, does anyone see this as increasing the likelihood of a deal for M-A Fleury after the season but before the expansion draft? Does Pittsburgh have another young goalie in their system? Can't see them taking Lack at $3 million as a backup, but would JR take Cam? Or do we even want Fleury? Besides he and Bishop, who else should we be considering? Cam has shown he can still be good in stretches if he is not overworked, but the Canes have ridden him like a rented mule since 2006. But we need more than good 2 month stretches. 

On the one hand MAF has about the same numbers as Cam this year. On the other hand, the two years before that were better, and overall he's been better. On the one hand he has two years left on his deal, which would give us some time to find the guy or maybe one of our yutes. Assuming we don't lose Cam to expansion, we'd have a pretty decent tandem for next year.

On the other hand there would be a cost.

What would we have to give up to get him? Maybe the expansion draft pinch would let us get him for less than market. I really have no idea.

Edited by remkin

Priority has to be a top shelf net minder, followed by two proven 20 goal scorers and a Drill Sergeant..., Ive had a bad taste in my mouth ever since Claude Giroux boarded Mcginn and added three extra elbow blows and not a single Candy Cane did a thing...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

So quick to label.  This off season I was told I was wrong and look at what the team did last season.  They will only get better and could push for a playoff spot.  Fast forward to now and we are bottom of the East.  I get there should be a rebuild and we are seeing a rebuild but we should also see progress from said rebuild.  I now see threads of how Hanifin should be put on notice.  Which leads me to the conclusion that we are still whiffing on 1st round picks like we did all through this past decade..

People have been holding on to hope in place of actual results... and it looks like all that hope is now gone.  There is really no upside to predicting your own team will fail, if you're a fan, but if you know hockey and are being honest with yourself, there's also no upside in pretending otherwise.

Anyway, it's reality at this point; we are once again sellers at the deadline, once again hoping for some savior to be in the draft or develop in the minor/junior ranks, once again hoping that Francis really understands what the team needs.

I'm sure we have taken calls on Faulk.   He catches some flak here from time to time, but he's a top-4 25 year old NHL puck-moving defensman, good skater, very good shot, can run the PP and a 3X all-star (Granted this year it should have been Slavin)

Looking at that, the price should be very steep (1st, Grade A prospect, perhaps more) And on our side, we better be confident that 1-2 guys in the AHL are ready.  Fleury seems to be.  Not sure about the rest.

12 hours ago, Bigfist said:

I still am unclear as to your reasoning why Peters is the best coach that has been in Raleigh, but I think an equally good argument could be made, based on win/loss record, that he has been the worst.

None of those other coaches coached during a bonafide rebuild.  How can you judge him by his record?  That's like saying felix hernandez wasn't a good pitcher from 09-13 because his record was was around .500 even though he was pitching really well.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

He's wrong.  Lavi was the best coach because he brought in a cup.  In each round he told the players to make a run at the goalie to get into their heads.   Also, the NJD series, where we shot.low for the first 30 minutes then lit Brodeur up.  So so smart.

Eric Staal brought in that cup. Let's be real about it.  Once Eric Staal didn't put up 100 points again we didn't even make the playoffs under Lavi.

Edited by JCLA

48 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

I'm sure we have taken calls on Faulk.   He catches some flak here from time to time, but he's a top-4 25 year old NHL puck-moving defensman, good skater, very good shot, can run the PP and a 3X all-star (Granted this year it should have been Slavin)

Looking at that, the price should be very steep (1st, Grade A prospect, perhaps more) And on our side, we better be confident that 1-2 guys in the AHL are ready.  Fleury seems to be.  Not sure about the rest.

If Faulk is moved, it can't be for picks and prospects.  He would have to bring a 1st line forward, preferably a center.  Trading him for magic beans only sets the rebuild back

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OBXer said:

I would be very surprised if we traded Faulk now. I admit there is and has been a lot of speculation about Faulk but I don't see it. He wouldn't go for a rental price, I'm sure of that. If someone wants him bad enough I suppose it could happen but they would have to overpay. 

We don't have anyone in the system that can replace him yet.

You're right. Nobody else in our barn could possibly match his -80, even in 10 years. /snark

But seriously, everybody here wants the top-end forward. You've gotta give to get. If some other GM has a strong enough D to accept Faulk's lousiness on that end of the ice in order to add a big shot on the other end, we'd be crazy not to do it. Slavin and Pesce long ago surpassed Faulk in D prowess, and as they become even better at deciding when to pinch (something else Faulk still doesn't get, or he might get back more often), they will contribute far more offense than he ever did. On top of which, Faulk's value will never be higher. We're sellers. Let's sell high.

IMO, of course.

Edited by top-shelf-1

With so many weighing in on what we need as a priority: Goalie, Dman, proven 20 goal scorers, tough guy who can stick up for the youngsters etc it would appear this team has a ways to go before being a legit playoff contender; not just making the playoffs because more than half the league gets in so its not a very high bar, but actually going into 2nd round plus.  Too much criticism being directed toward the naysayers here when the statistics support what has been pure mediocrity. We likely end up no better than where we were in 2013/14. Different faces same result. But, but, but, next season will be different...

2013-14: 83 points

2014-15: 71 points

2015-16: 86 points

2016-17 looks to be on pace for about 82 or 83 points.

37 minutes ago, JCLA said:

Eric Staal Rod Brind'Amour brought in that cup.

Fixed it for ya. No Rod, no cup. Simple as that--and Staal's (1) inability to fill Roddy's skates, and (2) ridiculous deal is why we sucked through last season, regardless who was behind the bench.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Too much criticism being directed toward the naysayers here when the statistics support what has been pure mediocrity.

Or... this is how rebuilds roll. But let's ignore that, too...

33 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

If Faulk is moved, it can't be for picks and prospects.  He would have to bring a 1st line forward, preferably a center.  Trading him for magic beans only sets the rebuild back

This.

1 hour ago, RonnieFranchise said:

Please do not pick up MAF. Any goaltender in the league but not him.

Why?  I'm just curious whats so bad about MAF?  He was a stud for Pittsburgh for many years than got showed up by a young guy who took his job, Happens in the goalie position quite often, doesn't mean MAF was done.  He may still have some elite left in him IMO.

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Since RF and JR have such a good relationship as trade partners, does anyone see this as increasing the likelihood of a deal for M-A Fleury after the season but before the expansion draft?

God, I hope not. We'd be getting hosed.

Fleury is at the end of his career. I'd rather bring up Neds right now and let him grow with the rest of the D - and I don't want to do that in the least - than get some washed-up guy at a crazy number for a couple of years. We've got the scouting in place to find and the assets to get a long-term AHLer (JEREMY SMITH!!!) who is ready to seize the opportunity in the NHL, and that's what we should do. 

I don't see Faulk being traded until AFTER the expansion draft.  Looking over the teams, it seems only Philadelphia would be able to protect him without losing another valuable player.  That is for prospects and picks (which doesn't make sense) or for a top O player.

I hope we do trade him.  It seems there will be more good young defenders available before the draft than O players.  The wild, lightning, and jackets will have good O players available but there are bunch of teams, including the 3 above, that will have to expose a good defender.

I still remember making the post that was something along the lines of dont look now but Derek Ryan's got 18 points in like 22 games or something. It's now game 42 with 18 points :(

22 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I still remember making the post that was something along the lines of dont look now but Derek Ryan's got 18 points in like 22 games or something. It's now game 42 with 18 points :(

It sure is an odd fall.. Zero points in 13 straight games and counting..after his nice run of points...knew the pace was too much, but not this fall

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

Or Jordan Staal.

Edmonton already has enough 6 million dollar under performing forwards (RNH & Eberle).  I don't think they'll be fishing for another.