Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

Recommended Posts

I'd take almost anything for Derek Ryan.  Its a great feel-good story but not much more.  He won't be more than a 4th liner on any other team.

 

I love his story, but be real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I'd take almost anything for Derek Ryan.  Its a great feel-good story but not much more.  He won't be more than a 4th liner on any other team.

 

I love his story, but be real.

 

 

Maybe they'll give Francis one of their under-performing 1st-rounders.  Not that i'd expect them to all of a sudden start connecting, but for the low low cost of Derek Ryan, it would be a gamble worth taking!  But seriously, yeah, i'd take about anything too.  But all that time some of us (including me) were speculating the ramifications of trading Faulk to Edmonton, i doubt any of us would have though Ryan was the preferred boy toy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Edmonton already has enough 6 million dollar under performing forwards (RNH & Eberle).  I don't think they'll be fishing for another.

Heh. Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek. Sorta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I'd take almost anything for Derek Ryan.  Its a great feel-good story but not much more.  He won't be more than a 4th liner on any other team.

 

I love his story, but be real.

For me, singling out Ryan's "fall" (not that you specifically called it out or are puzzled by it, hag) isn't a question unto itself. "Ryan" didn't fall: The entire forward corps did, and off a freakin' cliff.

 

Ryan showed this year that he has the skills to be effective on any line. That ability is evidenced by how seamlessly he transitioned from C to W. BP saw that hockey IQ all those years ago in Spokane and never forgot them. But it still takes (in this case) three to tango, and the only guys who have been dancing on anything like a consistent basis the last 15 games are Aho and Lindholm.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll tell you this. The Oilers apparently want to be rid of Eberle, and have been trying to offload him for years now.  I would not give up anything of much value for him, but if we could steal him, the guy has offense in him. He's not the guy for sure, but we need offense. D Ryan, Murphy, Pittsburgh's second rounder, a B prospect, and some pucks. I don't know, but if he could be had for a low price? We need scoring.

 

 

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'll tell you this. The Oilers apparently want to be rid of Eberle, and have been trying to offload him for years now.  I would not give up anything of much value for him, but if we could steal him, the guy has offense in him. He's not the guy for sure, but we need offense. D Ryan, Murphy, Pittsburgh's second rounder, a B prospect, and some pucks. I don't know, but if he could be had for a low price? We need scoring.

 

 

The problem with murphy is we are forced to re-sign a defense man or expose Faulk.  Not a bad overall deal though.

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For me, singling out Ryan's "fall" (not that you specifically called it out or are puzzled by it, hag) isn't a question unto itself. "Ryan" didn't fall: The entire forward corps did, and off a freakin' cliff.

 

Ryan showed this year that he has the skills to be effective on any line. That ability is evidenced by how seamlessly he transitioned from C to W. BP saw that hockey IQ all those years ago in Spokane and never forgot them. But it still takes (in this case) three to tango, and the only guys who have been dancing on anything like a consistent basis the last 15 games are Aho and Lindholm.

 

I'll admit his actual level/ability is a bit of a mystery to me.  He shows flashes of brilliance and he is way undersized but has the heart of a lion.  I just feel long term there will be better options but I'll admit I could be way wrong.  He has a Chad Larose feel to me and he was a very controversial player.  People weighed him wildly differently.  Peeps love the underdog and this has some factor.

 

It appears Edmonton may scout him a lot higher that I do so I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hag65 said:

 

I'll admit his actual level/ability is a bit of a mystery to me.  He shows flashes of brilliance and he is way undersized but has the heart of a lion.  I just feel long term there will be better options but I'll admit I could be way wrong.  He has a Chad Larose feel to me and he was a very controversial player.  People weighed him wildly differently.  Peeps love the underdog and this has some factor.

 

It appears Edmonton may scout him a lot higher that I do so I could be wrong.

I think he's the better option at 4C than McC going forward, is all. I see the energy of LaRose for sure, but I don't think he's anywhere near the narcissist. I too could be way off, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The problem with murphy is we are forced to re-sign a defense man or expose Faulk.  Not a bad overall deal though.

I don't think Murph ever sees the requisite games for exposure. I think he gets included in a package, that we see Fleury and McKeown the rest of the way, and that Dahlbeck is exposed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think Murph ever sees the requisite games for exposure. I think he gets included in a package, that we see Fleury and McKeown the rest of the way, and that Dahlbeck is exposed.

 

I guess I didn't figure we could expose RFAs.  I don't want Murphy to get the required games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookin at Eberle's stats, he's actually a pretty high scoring guy.  he put up 24 goals or higher for the last 3 years.  He's not having a great year, but he's young enough(26) that a "change of scenery" could get him back to being a 25 goal 60point guy.  I'd take it as long as we bring 2 more top 6's in this summer.  Now that would be something to be excited about.   Staal,Skinner, and Aho are our only true nhl top 6ers, so add Eberle, a # 1 center, and another 20goal scorer and our offense is looking pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy is not a NHL'er, just like Boychuk wasn't/isn't. We need to shed this guy and pick up a hard hitting D-man. We have puck movers in Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin and even Pesce. Now we need some "stay at home" D-man that will knock anyone out of our goalies way.  Murphy is not that guy at 5'11" and 185lbs. He gets pushed around more than anything. 

 

We need someone equal to Byfuglien or Burns to handle the guys that target or young stars but can play too. (my wishlist).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Faulk and that 2nd rounder we just got for Hainsey......for McDavid.

 

Ok I'm in :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think Murph ever sees the requisite games for exposure. I think he gets included in a package, that we see Fleury and McKeown the rest of the way, and that Dahlbeck is exposed.

 

 

I don't think so either.  24 of the next 26 games... even if Peters intended on doing just that, Murphy's injury history tells me it likely wouldn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Caniac5 said:

Murphy is not a NHL'er, just like Boychuk wasn't/isn't. We need to shed this guy and pick up a hard hitting D-man. We have puck movers in Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin and even Pesce. Now we need some "stay at home" D-man that will knock anyone out of our goalies way.  Murphy is not that guy at 5'11" and 185lbs. He gets pushed around more than anything. 

 

We need someone equal to Byfuglien or Burns to handle the guys that target or young stars but can play too. (my wishlist).

 

 

Not Bfug level but the Ducks will more than likely expose Stoner (32) and Despres (25).  They both are big boys 6'4 with big reaches.  Good +\- ratings for those hung on that stat.

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Or... this is how rebuilds roll. But let's ignore that, too...

 

A rebuild 3 years in that nets no more points than the 13/14 season is not a successful rebuild. Excitement that they're getting better only comes from a new set of faces each season and the expectation they bring not what they actually end up producing. Impossible to rebuild in any meaningful way when you have the lowest payroll in the league. Season points trajectory has become static. They continue to tred water.   Problem for the Canes is their rebuild is not any faster then the other teams who also look to improve each season. The Canes seem unable to close that gap let alone overtake it. It shows in the stands at every home game.  BP/RF aren't the issue in my opinion. Canes need new motivated ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For me, singling out Ryan's "fall" (not that you specifically called it out or are puzzled by it, hag) isn't a question unto itself. "Ryan" didn't fall: The entire forward corps did, and off a freakin' cliff.

 A few of you have given me kudos for the image I just posted in the "If an Image can describe...", but I want to pass along kudos to top-shelf.  TS is the inspiration for that picture.  When I thought about falling of the "freakin' cliff", AGAIN, all I could think of is the Roadrunner and Coyote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JCLA said:

 

None of those other coaches coached during a bonafide rebuild.  How can you judge him by his record?  That's like saying felix hernandez wasn't a good pitcher from 09-13 because his record was was around .500 even though he was pitching really well.  

A couple of days ago, someone put Peters' name in with the likes of Coach K and Bill Belichick, each of whom would be top 5 in their various professions.    Now being mentioned in the same breath as King Felix?  Hyperbole anyone?  Pretty soon someone is going to say Peters is better than Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake, and Mike Babcock.

 

Felix had all sorts of peripheral numbers that indicated he was a great pitcher, well beyond his ERA and win/loss record.  Baseball lends itself to that sort of evaluation.  But as long as we are talking baseball, I will bring up a name that I have brought up in the past.  Manny Acta.  Managed Cleveland from 2010-2012, three horrible seasons, but the team was in a rebuild.  When he was fired, there was a lot of outcry...."we have no talent" many yelled.  "Why fire Manny?"  Well, with basically the same team, in 2013, Terry Francona took this "rebuilding team" to the playoffs.  

 

I will grant that the jury is out on Peters, but that is a long way from saying he is the best coach in 20 years.  I just don't get the reasoning.  Time may prove you right (and I hope you are right), but I am skeptical, to say the least.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Edmonton already has enough 6 million dollar under performing forwards (RNH & Eberle).  I don't think they'll be fishing for another.

I'll give one Faulk for Eberle any day!  65/63/47 points in last 3 years ain't to shabby. Loosing Faulk's salary would help offset Eberle's. He's not the perfect fit for us, not sure we will get the perfect fit  but he would improve us on the RW and add some scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

A rebuild 3 years in that nets no more points than the 13/14 season is not a successful rebuild.

You're not stupid, RC. Stop pretending to be. RF's hands have been tied by circumstances completely outside of his control in each of his first three off-seasons--and you know it. Ignore the fact if you like, but that won't make it go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tampa is supposedly wanting a puck moving D man.  I don't wanna move Faulk to an eastern team but I could see a

 

Faulk

Lack(retaining half the cap hit)

 

 

Drouin

Bishop

 

dually beneficial trade. TB needs a goalie to expose and won't be able to afford all their O players.

 

drouin and bishop would be great additions for us.  We need 2nd line wings to go with Rask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...