The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

I was cringing as the page loaded to find out what the details of the Bishop trade were. If he had gone for something silly like some goalie trades wind up going RF would have to stay in his home for a while.

11 hours ago, remkin said:

As to a deadline deal, the history is in favor of no big trade. That is the safe bet. Mostly teams are looking to buy or sell complimentary pieces, and I agree Sakic can wait.

I think whether Scog or Duche moves at the deadline comes down to whether a team that is near the cut line makes a serious play for one of them in hopes that player can push them over the top this year and benefit them in the future. If that happens, my guess is that RF joins the bidding, because I think this has been Sakic's game all along: Create buzz about their availability early, see what offers come at the deadline, and then make a decision about the odds of doing better after the drafts. Enough picks coming back could very well tip Sakic in favor of moving them now, because if he doesn't begin filling his barn this year another year passses before his can--and nobody's got as many picks to offer as we do.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

nobody's got as many picks to offer as we do.  

True, we have 10 picks to lead the NHL, and that's before we move McClement or Stahlberg. Could have 12.

Edited by remkin

This retaining salary bit in a trade seems to be the way teams are increasing their return in the trade market. This works in the Canes favor with the cap space which they have available. I also like the increased value of the pick or picks depending on how deep the buying team advances in the postseason. 

Edited by RonnieFranchise
Forgot something

This sums up where we are at: The News & Observer

“We made it easy for management, for sure,” Canes coach Bill Peters said Sunday.

Asked if he anticipated more changes, Peters said, “I’m not sure but I don’t have much of a leg to stand on, to argue. They’ll be making decisions, and I’m sure they’re busy as we speak.”

38 minutes ago, OBXer said:

“I’m not sure but I don’t have much of a leg to stand on, to argue.”

How refreshing is that? He pretty much takes responsibility for the fact that his room is filled with a bunch of chickens*** wimps who refuse to step up.

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

How refreshing is that? He pretty much takes responsibility for the fact that his room is filled with a bunch of chickens*** wimps who refuse to step up.

Realistic and that in itself can be seen as refreshing.  I don't know about your "bunch of chickens" conclusion but clearly Peters is recognizing the team as a group is under performing and changes are the consequence.

Pending UFA's

Bickell

Stalberg

McClement

Ryan

Tennyson

Leighton

The Canes also have a few other underutilized players who may be on the trade block.

Stempniak

Nestrasil

Murphy

Well really if the right offer is made anyone could be in play. This should be an interesting deadline for sure.

Forgot something

On 2/24/2017 at 3:01 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

You're not stupid, RC. Stop pretending to be. RF's hands have been tied by circumstances completely outside of his control in each of his first three off-seasons--and you know it. Ignore the fact if you like, but that won't make it go away.

It is what is TP. You've been trying so hard to put on a shine on this team all season and except for a few players it ain't happening. Now you're giving Ronnie a pass.  Three seasons into a rebuild and now your excuse for him is his hands have been tied these past 3 seasons. Yeah, okay. Its not a mystery why this team started the season weak, then got stronger and now is weak again - they lack in too many areas and RF/BP knew this last October but had no money PK was willing to give them to address it. You obsess with trades of big name players with big contracts, get over it bro its not happening; root cause is PK. If Francis was allowed to spend he would have spent last off season getting a couple legit free agents not the placeholders he found in Stalberg and Stempniak that he got at bargain prices. The Canes simply aren't willing to run with the big boys during the first 24-72 hours of free agency. PK isn't and won't be spending any more on this team then the minimum necessary as mandated by the league; they had to find some players to pay (Bickell) just to get up to league minimum at the start of this season, what a joke. Canes are last place in the East and 25th place in the league for a reason: they lack talent. You're not stupid so quit playing the role and don't ignore the obvious that this team goes nowhere until an owner is found who is willing to spend. PK ripping off his sons trust funds says alot about his financial standing. The big meaningful playoff push home stand finished at 1-3-1, good effort boys we're almost there...

Edited by raleighcaniac
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

It is what is TP. You've been trying so hard to put on a shine on this team all season and except for a few players it ain't happening. Now you're giving Ronnie a pass.  Three seasons into a rebuild and now your excuse for him is his hands have been tied these past 3 seasons. Yeah, okay. Its not a mystery why this team started the season weak, then got stronger and now is weak again - they lack in too many areas and RF/BP knew this last October but had no money PK was willing to give them to address it. You obsess with trades of big name players with big contracts, get over it bro its not happening; root cause is PK. If Francis was allowed to spend he would have spent last off season getting a couple legit free agents not the placeholders he found in Stalberg and Stempniak that he got at bargain prices. The Canes simply aren't willing to run with the big boys during the first 48-72 hours of free agency. PK isn't and won't be spending any more on this team then the minimum necessary as mandated by the league; they had to find some players to pay (Bickell) just to get up to league minimum at the start of this season, what a joke. Canes are last place in the East and 25th place in the league for a reason: they lack talent. You're not stupid so quit playing the role and don't ignore the obvious that this team goes nowhere until an owner is found who is willing to spend. PK ripping off his sons trust funds says alot about his financial standing. The big meaningful playoff push home stand finished at 1-3-1, good effort boys we're almost there...

Lots of accusations here, I hope you have some facts to back them up, especially re PK's personal finances. You have no clue at all, but you sure love to pretend you do. It's so easy to hide behind a screen name and make baseless accusations. You're gonna be really embarrassed when the trades come. Of course, you'll disappear when that happens, just as you do when this team is winning.

I'm just glad you haven't been in the GM's chair, or we'd have nothing to spend and nothing show for your premature eja... er, contractualizations.

Again, you can ignore the impact of Cam's and Eric's contracts for the first two years, and how irresponsible it would have been for Ronnie to do more than he did last summer with the ExDraft coming up. But try as you might, you can't make those facts go away.

The bottom line, RC? You're upset that it's not happening as fast you'd have liked. Too bad for you. I hope you get over it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

True, we have 10 picks to lead the NHL, and that's before we move McClement or Stahlberg. Could have 12.

I'm hoping that any trades made from here on out aren't for additional picks this year.  Maybe kicking them down the road to next year would be better.  If RF is able to parlay them into players now, that is one thing.  If he is going to end up walking to the podium 10 to 12 times, then I'm not so sure.

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm hoping that any trades made from here on out aren't for additional picks this year.  Maybe kicking them down the road to next year would be better.  If RF is able to parlay them into players now, that is one thing.  If he is going to end up walking to the podium 10 to 12 times, then I'm not so sure.

Yeah, I don't see that. He's got so many picks, and the next wave is already in the barn. His calm determination, patience, and persistence in stockpiling the assets he has is such a welcome contrast to JR--as Pitt fans will soon find out.   

Edited by top-shelf-1

3 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I won't mind if we get more 2017 draft picks this year  on deadline deals. You get what you can for your free agents but I'm in complete agreement on trades leading up to the draft.   Time to begin turning some of those accumulated draft picks into players.

• Like 2

At least we can all agree that this team won't cut it as is next season.  I hope a trade happens during the draft but I am just not sure who RF will or should target.  If there is an opportunity to land a stud goalie and also a top 1C and RF has to choose between the 2.  I would go with the stud goalie.  Just me though.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

At least we can all agree that this team won't cut it as is next season.  I hope a trade happens during the draft but I am just not sure who RF will or should target.  If there is an opportunity to land a stud goalie and also a top 1C and RF has to choose between the 2.  I would go with the stud goalie.  Just me though.

We still lose 3-1, 2-1 most games with a stud goalie.  I think they know they need a minimum of 3 big moves/acquisitions.  1st line Center, top 6 winger, goalie.  that would be a start.

Pending UFA's

Bickell

Stalberg

McClement

Ryan

Tennyson

Leighton

The Canes also have a few other underutilized players who may be on the trade block.

Stempniak

Nestrasil

Murphy

Well really if the right offer is made anyone could be in play. This should be an interesting deadline for sure.

Forgot something

With the amount of rumors involving the Canes and the Oilers floating around maybe they are working on a trade.

There is also some talk stating that the Canes are the team with the best offer in on Duchesne.

It's going to get interesting real soon.

Lets keep the conversation civil, if possible

I'm hoping we can keep our core intact and accomplish at least some of our needs. I won't list who I see as our core because we all see that differently on a young, rebuilding team but throwing out the baby with the bathwater won't solve the problem.

There is just too much chatter around for something not to happen on this trade deadline.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

After these last few games, I think I finally agree that we really need somebody to step up as captain. That's why I am in favor of trying to get both Landeskog and Duchene. Give Landy the chance to lead, and Duche the chance to score for us. The only problem is that the price could be WAY too high. I trust GMRF to make the right decisions for the team, though.

• Like 1

From TSN trade rumors:

"It still might come down to which young defenseman — or defensemen — the Carolina Hurricanes ultimately are willing to include in a package for Duchene. Go too far down the Hurricanes’ organizational list, and it’s a setup for failure. It’s remains doubtful the ‘Canes will agree to part with Erie High grad Jaccob Slavin, but that still should be the goal … as a start."

If your post is no longer visible, it's because you either attacked another member, quoted the attack or replied to one.

If anyone has a problem with another member or what is said in a post, first thing you should do report it and then ignore it until the issue is taken care of. Replying to it or quoting it will do nothing to settle the issue and only make it worse. 

I know these are trying times (again) and tempers can flare and opinions will vary but there is no excuse for any personal attacks and they will not be tolerated. If you had a post deleted, consider yourself on notice for a warning of possible account suspension.

• Like 1