The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

I won't mind if we get more 2017 draft picks this year  on deadline deals. You get what you can for your free agents but I'm in complete agreement on trades leading up to the draft.   Time to begin turning some of those accumulated draft picks into players.

I agree. SD, it is just hard to see what players McClement and Stalberg bring back as rentals. It's almost always picks. But I do get the point that we don't need 13 more mostly AHL'ers.

But I forgot about Ryan. I suspect his lack of playoff experience and recent cold streak will lessen his value, but if we got a pick for him, McClement and Stalberg that would put us at 13 picks. The next closest team has 9.

But I also agree w/ OBXer. Actually making all those late second and third round picks and adding them into our system makes less sense now that we've already improved our depth in the system. It doesn't happen often, but I hope Francis piles a bunch of those picks into moving our first round pick up as high as possible, or packaging with a player to get a high end forward.

I think we all agree that we need to try to convert picks and prospects into a single good player as much as possible.

3 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Yeah, as much as I want Duchene personally, no one here would do it for Slavin. Anyone else honestly but Slavin in my humble opinion.

I'll reiterate my position. I think it fair to say I want a proven, high end, youngish forward as much as anyone. But I would not trade Slavin or Pesce for anything less than a guy with unmistakable elite upside: Draisatl, Puljujarvi, etc, and those guys aren't for sale. So if Sakic thinks he is getting Slavin or Pesce for Duchene or Landeskog? Keep moving. I have also moved myself into "no" on Hanifin. That leaves Faulk, Fleury, Bean, McKeown for me.

Now watch him make that deal for Slavin...

Edited by remkin

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Scott and POS were talking the Bishop trade today on the Power Play.  Scottie basically said that from his sources there were no other offers for Bishop.  That seems totally odd to me.

I think for the most part, this was TB trying to shave some salary and save face.  Yzerman said he had to clear room to pay bonuses for ELC players.  In addition, at this point I don't think a team can trade for Bishop with 20 games left, and expect to extend him when he'll be the top UFA goalie, which is sure to make bank.  I think the move to make would be for RF to make a draft day trade for his rights, and try to workout a deal before UFA.  

I have read several reports that has Carolina in on Fleury, and it would make more sense for a few reasons.  First is because Pittsburgh will still need a goalie to expose in the expansion draft, and Cam Ward could be it.  Also, JR is obsessed with Ward, and they would still want a backup if Murray goes down.  It also frees up cap space for Pitts.  All things considered, I would definitely want Bishop over Fleury, but I think we'd settle.

To the extent Tampa still has playoff life, I thought they'd hang onto Bishop until the offseason. Don't know a lot about Budaj (sp?), but I guess he's Tampa's #2 for now. I really thought Bishop might have been an option for us.

Curious about M-A Fleury. How much term left on his contract and at what salary. Since RF and JR are now trading buddies, I wonder if we might be looking at Fleury in the offseason. Given JR's history of recycling, I was thinking he might take Ward as Murray's backup. What might we have to throw in to get Fleury, or should we even want him? Last of all, if not Fleury, who might we target to upgrade goaltending? I'm not a Cam hater, but it's time for an upgrade in goal. I've got a feeling we'll be seeing Eddie a lot the rest of the year. If for nothing else to prove to someone that he is tradeable, or could be an effective backup here if Cam is traded. Given the last 2 years, he'd be hard pressed to convince me he still could be our #1.

MAF has two more years left after this season at $5.75 AAV.  Not great, but not horrible.  To me, I'd trade no more than Cam/Zykov/3rd.  My thing is, if we were to deal for MAF, it would've made more sense to include him in the Hainsey trade.

One would think that the Pens would be desperate to move Fleury just for the sake of cap space. I for one do not want to give JR an out. I feel that Fleury is grossly overpaid as well. Pittsburgh should be offering teams an incentive just to take him.

• Like 1

Been reading a lot of Wild rumors involving Carolina and Toronto.  Nylander is the proposed target.  Original rumor a week ago was for Hanifin, new rumor is around Faulk.

Also read RF is quietly shopping Skinner again.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Been reading a lot of Wild rumors involving Carolina and Toronto.  Nylander is the proposed target.  Original rumor a week ago was for Hanifin, new rumor is around Faulk.

My main question about Nylander is: Will he be a 1C?

If yes; I'd definitely do the Faulk deal.

On Skinner: I'd be surprised if we were to move him. He is our top goal and point scorer, and not too far behind the assist leader. Unless we were getting something really spectacular for him, but I don't know what I'd expect from a move like that.

I am not sure about MAF.  I can't decide if he is good or more a product of the system like Barrasso and Chris Osgood of Detroit.   This is hard to decide whether we are better off with Ward or Fleury.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Also reading NYI's are the frontrunners now for Duchene.  From what I'm reading, they're either about to mortgage their farm or their blueline.

10 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

PK, I'd like to read these rumors. Can you post links??

Shopping Skinner makes perfect sense: his NTC kicks in next year. Trading him may or may not, depending on what the roster looks like. I think there was hope that he'd step up and snag the C. He made a decent case for that early in the year, but barring a major turnaround here down the stretch, I think our next Captain isn't on the roster yet. 

Faulk price is high. Don't touch Miller, Hayes, or Buch. CAR wants a #1 center. If Stepan, better have a trade teed up for a replacement.

Duchene-Isles talks sounding like Colorado must receive two of Nelson, Hamonic, Pulock + picks

#BREAKING - Isles and Avs discussing HUGE trade. Duchene/Barzal/MDC/Pulock all brought up.

The last guy posted a tweet saying Leafs/Canes have talked about a deal revolving around Faulk for Nylander, but apparently took it down after receiving flack from Leaf fans. I've been tracking him since last summer, I think he's legit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Shopping Skinner makes perfect sense: his NTC kicks in next year. Trading him may or may not, depending on what the roster looks like. I think there was hope that he'd step up and snag the C. He made a decent case for that early in the year, but barring a major turnaround here down the stretch, I think our next Captain isn't on the roster yet. 

Many of us have players who we're stuck on and who we're not emotionally ready to see dealt.  I'm probably there with Skinner.  That said, he's the leading scorer on a team that scores nowhere near enough - meaning despite what he brings, he's not enough.  Meanwhile RF has pretty much had to rent a trailer to hold all the picks and prospects he's stocked up on.  So putting those two factors in play, could our top scorer + a 1st-round pick be enough to reel in a 1C?  Or + a couple 2nds and a prospect?  So yeah, shopping him definitely makes sense.  Mind you something like that is more-likely to happen during the offseason, but even so, the next 20-something hours are, hopefully, going to be interesting.

28 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Many of us have players who we're stuck on and who we're not emotionally ready to see dealt.  I'm probably there with Skinner.  That said, he's the leading scorer on a team that scores nowhere near enough - meaning despite what he brings, he's not enough. 

The bottom line for me on Jeff is that there never seems to be the physical toughness on his line that would allow him the space he needs to create. Of course, this is true up and down the lineup. We don't have guys on the wings or in the middle who consistently play big, and what few guys we have that we'd reasonably expect to play big whatever their positions - Faulk, Jordan, Slavin, Hanifin - don't either. The only consistent hitter we have is Stalberg (and lately, Lindholm has been showing a more physical side). McGinn and PDG sometimes--but "sometimes" is the problem.

13 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

MAF has two more years left after this season at $5.75 AAV.  Not great, but not horrible.  To me, I'd trade no more than Cam/Zykov/3rd.  My thing is, if we were to deal for MAF, it would've made more sense to include him in the Hainsey trade.

That's why I'm not considering MAF coming here any longer.  If RF wanted him they would have just made a Hainsey and __________ deal for MAF and 2nd round pick deal.  I guess its not impossible they make a second trade but seems odd.

Shopping Skinner doesn't sound great to me, RF would than have our only 25goal scorer to try and replace with another 25 goal scorer. whats the point?  Keep Skinner and his 25-30goals a year and fill the 1C.

Just now, danimal-ch1 said:

Shopping Skinner doesn't sound great to me, RF would than have our only 25goal scorer to try and replace with another 25 goal scorer. whats the point?  Keep Skinner and his 25-30goals a year and fill the 1C.

Well there's no point to replacing him with another 25-goal scorer.  But if RF can trade Skinner+ for a 40-goal scorer, he'd be crazy not to consider it.  Not that i see it happening, but you gotta look at it.  I'm not saying trade him for equal return.

21 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

I would think MAF would not be traded until the offseason. Pittsburgh is obviously a serious Cup contender, so would they want to give up either of their goalies until after the playoffs?

29 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Well there's no point to replacing him with another 25-goal scorer.  But if RF can trade Skinner+ for a 40-goal scorer, he'd be crazy not to consider it.  Not that i see it happening, but you gotta look at it.  I'm not saying trade him for equal return.

There just doesn't seem to be may 40goal scorers left in the league.  The few out there are staying put for obvious reasons.  Sure I'd take a 40goal scorer for him.  Nowadays I think a consistent 25goal a year guy is about as good as it gets out there.

Edited by danimal-ch1