The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

I think it is unlikely, not impossible but unlikely we see a big trade at deadline. Then again our big name players seem to be constantly in the rumor mill now. In our position I suppose that isn't that odd but could indicate RF is sending feelers out on just about everybody. Not in the fire-sale sense but to see what kind off return he can get for players before making a deal.

I can't quite grasp what we are trying to accomplish yet. Perhaps all will be revealed soon.B)

5 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

There just doesn't seem to be may 40goal scorers left in the league.  The few out there are staying put for obvious reasons.  Sure I'd take a 40goal scorer for him.  Nowadays I think a consistent 25goal a year guy is about as good as it gets out there.

I don't see us trading Skinner, but I do see us shopping him, if for no other reason than it lets RF tell Sakic how crazy he is, asking what he is for two similarly-skilled players.

Of all the UFAs Stalberg was probably the one i'd have loved to have seen re-signed, but for all i know RF asked him if there was a chance and he said hell no.  Take what you can get and package all those picks for Dudeman..

• Like 1

I would agree on Stalberg. The guy was a very good 4th liner and there is a role for that. He killed penalties, brought speed, and occasionally put the two together for a short handed goal. I would not be upset if we got him back in the offseason. I love the true rental. Get a pick, re-sign the guy.

However, he is coming up on UFA, and Francis, true to form, is not letting those guys walk for nothing. Puck Daddy on Yahoo mentioned that picking him up for $1.5m/year and then flipping him for a third rounder was a pretty sweet move.

I get the angst displayed on the in season thread about Francis, but the guy has really excelled at getting the highest returns on these types of moves. A first rounder (Gauthier) and McKeown for Sekera on a rental, 2 seconds and Saarela for rental Staal, a second rounder for rental Hainsey, third rounder for 4th line rental Stalberg.

To me though, we are all waiting on the master move. Last year he stepped up and picked a lot of the extra picks. I really hope he does not do that this time.

He ought to get some sort of pick for McClement, and maybe Ryan. That will be a boat load of picks.

Package those picks and get a player, and or move up the draft. We don't need 13 more mid to low round draft picks.

Francis has played smallball as well as it can be played. At some point, we need a big ball.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't see us trading Skinner, but I do see us shopping him, if for no other reason than it lets RF tell Sakic how crazy he is, asking what he is for two similarly-skilled players.

I don't think we will be shopping him if he is back in Raleigh for an upper body evaluation. I'm not going to speculate but I have a feeling there is a protocol to follow.  Remember Skinner took an elbow to the head from Alex Chiasson of Calgary in the first period Sunday. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I would agree on Stalberg. The guy was a very good 4th liner and there is a role for that. He killed penalties, brought speed, and occasionally put the two together for a short handed goal. I would not be upset if we got him back in the offseason. I love the true rental. Get a pick, re-sign the guy.

. . .

Pretty sure we can't bring Stalberg back until after Jan. 1, 2018.  It's a rule they put in place to make sure teams don't "hide" players they can't protect in the expansion draft and then bring them back next season.  Which is too bad; I feel the same way about Stalberg that several of you have mentioned above.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Pretty sure we can't bring Stalberg back until after Jan. 1, 2018.  It's a rule they put in place to make sure teams don't "hide" players they can't protect in the expansion draft and then bring them back next season.  Which is too bad; I feel the same way about Stalberg that several of you have mentioned above.

Thank you, I'm not crazy either,  because that's what I read somewhere but can't find any link to prove it?

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Ah. Never mind.

Well the trade deadline is today. 3PM.

Probably move McClement. maybe Ryan. Not likely the big move, but you never know. I wonder if there's any interest in Stempniak? He's on a near 40 point pace, and having played on about 20 teams, he'd adjust fast. I actually like him, but with a year on his very fair deal, I just wonder what he'd fetch. Probably not enough to make it worth losing him.

I'll be at work all day, but checking in when I can.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Well the trade deadline is today. 3PM.

Probably move McClement. maybe Ryan. Not likely the big move, but you never know. I wonder if there's any interest in Stempniak? He's on a near 40 point pace, and having played on about 20 teams, he'd adjust fast. I actually like him, but with a year on his very fair deal, I just wonder what he'd fetch. Probably not enough to make it worth losing him.

I'll be at work all day, but checking in when I can.

I get the sense that Stemp will be one of the guys that we expose, since he'll still have a year on his deal. I look forward to whatever happens today though! I'll be in class until 3:15, so I'll unfortunately miss all of the last minute antics that may or may not happen...

In Ron We Trust!

14 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't think we will be shopping him if he is back in Raleigh for an upper body evaluation. I'm not going to speculate but I have a feeling there is a protocol to follow.  Remember Skinner took an elbow to the head from Alex Chiasson of Calgary in the first period Sunday. 

Agree, I was responding to PK's report that we had been, and speculating as to why. Although I do think nobody's off the table, I doubt Skinner's brief NTC is enough, in itself, to motivate a trade.

• Like 1

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

That has me worried.

Why? Sellers market right now and TT hasn't exactly set the world on fire here. If someone wants to overpay for him because he has played well in the playoffs before and is very cheap right now, why not see what we could get back? I wouldn't be looking for just picks if I were GMRF, but a pick and a great prospect would be worth listening to at this time.

If it is picks or a pick keep in mind this year is a weak draft.  So in theory RF could be shooting himself in the foot with the acquisition of all these picks in a very weak draft.  It is foolish to expect a major return with the plethora of picks the team has accumulated in this years draft when everyone knows it's a weak one.

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If it is picks or a pick keep in mind this year is a weak draft.  So in theory RF could be shooting himself in the foot with the acquisition of all these picks in a very weak draft.  It is foolish to expect a major return with the plethora of picks the team has accumulated in this years draft when everyone knows it's a weak one.

I agree, if it is just picks, no thanks. But if it were picks and a very good prospect, then I'd listen. An example of the kind of trade I'd listen to would be TT back to Chicago for their 1st and Alex Debrincat. Not sure I'd do that, but I'd listen.

I'd trade any of these marginal guys if its a deal that gets us higher value back.   I'm not married to anyone we have except Slavin and Aho.  I just want to see superior value coming back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Thank you, I'm not crazy either,  because that's what I read somewhere but can't find any link to prove it?

Is it that they can't be resigned, or they can't return via a trade?  It was to keep teams from stashing players.  I'm having a hard time finding the exact wording.

The expansion draft is going to come in to play with the moves today. For instance if you trade Murphy (I know he hasn't qualified yet) it leaves you without a Dman you would want to let go for nothing.

No matter how you feel about them individually you aren't going to want to expose any of our top four and some of them aren't expansion draft eligible. So you would need to sign Dahlbek or Tennyson to an extension or get a Damn back you could expose.

I'm confident this has all been thought through and if a Murphy deal is there I think I would take it.