The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

41 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If it is picks or a pick keep in mind this year is a weak draft.  So in theory RF could be shooting himself in the foot with the acquisition of all these picks in a very weak draft.  It is foolish to expect a major return with the plethora of picks the team has accumulated in this years draft when everyone knows it's a weak one.

I think the term "weak draft" mostly applies to the front part of the first round.  IMO it doesn't apply to the second, third and later rounds, where diamonds always exist.  Just have to do due diligence with scouting and find those players, which the team has done over the last several years.  Somebody correct me if I am off base but that's how I see it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think the term "weak draft" mostly applies to the front part of the first round.  IMO it doesn't apply to the second, third and later rounds, where diamonds always exist.  Just have to do due diligence with scouting and find those players, which the team has done over the last several years.  Somebody correct me if I am off base but that's how I see it.

Woof, Woof, Woof (in honor of Sgt Oddball).

Edited by Manwolf

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Pretty sure we can't bring Stalberg back until after Jan. 1, 2018.  It's a rule they put in place to make sure teams don't "hide" players they can't protect in the expansion draft and then bring them back next season.  Which is too bad; I feel the same way about Stalberg that several of you have mentioned above.

I think it only applies to the Vegas team

Any players picked by Vegas cannot be traded back to their former team before January 1, 2018, and any player picked in the expansion draft cannot have their contracts bought out until after the completion of the 2017–18 season.

So if I'm understanding it and I'm not sure I understand much about the expansion draft he can sign anywhere he wants including a former team.  I can't find any reference to free agents in regards to being traded to a team at deadline. 

24 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yes, just not that obvious elite or marquee player.

Stalberg for a THIRD rounder is brutal to me. He pulled his weight and showed maturity, chipped in offensively, solid PK, which are quality attributes. Management always seems to have a revolving door going for 3rd/4th lines and yet they're the lines that get teams the extra 20 points a season and take teams deep into the playoffs. The first two lines do what they are paid the big $ for (score) but 3rd/4th lines carry their own water, grind the bejeez out of the other team, shut down the opposition and put a few pucks in the net along the way. Canes lineup looks/is too fluid at this point in the season. We don't have one solid never tear them apart line.  If they trade Stempniak today for another pick then I question Francis more than I question him now. Unless he plans on packaging a few picks and a player in the off season, then all he is doing is drafting solely for the future 2-3 seasons down the road at the expense of next season when after 8 seasons of zero playoffs including this season and complete futility, the future is now - as in next season. A guy like Stempniak should finish his career here as a solid 3rd/4th line contributor.

**Just edited that he was traded for a 3rd round pick not 2nd. I change my comment above from Questionable to Brutal.

Edited by raleighcaniac

I will be surprised if we trade Nordstrom or Stepniak as they will be the two forwards which will meet our requirement for exposure in the expansion draft.  We won't get much for either guy.  We resign Dahlbeck, we can expose him.  

As for this draft, I have read it is weak at the top but when you get past the top it is just like any other draft.  

17 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't think we will be shopping him if he is back in Raleigh for an upper body evaluation. I'm not going to speculate but I have a feeling there is a protocol to follow.  Remember Skinner took an elbow to the head from Alex Chiasson of Calgary in the first period Sunday. 

I feel Skinner is not safe today and that an injury was said to get him off the radar. We will know by 3pm but I think Skinner might be traded today. (Just a personal feeling!)

6 minutes ago, Caniac5 said:

I feel Skinner is not safe today and that an injury was said to get him off the radar. We will know by 3pm but I think Skinner might be traded today. (Just a personal feeling!)

I don't see the point.  He's the only consistent goal scorer we got.  Nobody will give anything better than another 20- 25goal scorer back.  So even steven in the end or we get hosed with a third line guy and draft picks and lose even more scoring in our depleted line up.  Unless its part or a huge Duchene,Landeskog deal.  But that seems a little far fetched.  fun to speculate though. We probably aint doing a darn thing today but holding what we got til summer. 

21 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If I was a betting man.  I think we are going to know who is traded and who isn't by 3 PM today.

Going by the last several years it will be nothing further but unexciting prospects and picks trades. Hopefully not, I want to see something big.

22 minutes ago, Caniac5 said:

an injury was said to get him off the radar.

I can't deny thinking the same thing. I'm really not sure RF wants anybody to have an NTC at this stage, and this is absolutely his last chance to move Skins before his kicks in. Skins brings nothing Aho doesn't (except five less years of future).

This may sound harsh coming from Skinner's biggest fan on this board, which I'll gladly admit to. I think he's a rare talent. But while I doubt it happens, I'm not going to ignore that RF could decide that Aho is our top-line RW going forward, and that moving Skinner creates both the additional payroll and roster space to go after bigger LWs, something that is much easier to find than big (let alone any) RWs.

Edited by top-shelf-1

12 minutes ago, hag65 said:

45 minutes until the real whining begins.

As Doc likely once said:

When this baby hits 3 pm, you're going to see some serious ****.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1