The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

18 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yeah, it sounded like whomever asked wanted to blame missing Lindy.   Peters was quick to mention Faulk.

I think both of them missing has had a visible effect.  

Totally. Lindy really does do the little things that make a big difference. To his credit, McGinn is trying to do the same things, but his inexperience at the NHL level shows in terms of the energy he expends in doing so. I expect he'll make the adjustment, but Lindholm already has, and his absence really shows. Those who look only at his numbers see only about a third of his game. He plays very solid two-way hockey that moves pucks through the neutral zone and creates O-zone chances. 

As to the wider trade talk, I agree with Richardson. The Avs ship has sailed (sunk) for this year, and given expansion, there is really nothing to be gained for them in doing anything before the TD at least (when they can demand top return, particularly if we're in a playoff slot). And from our side, the same is true; we're regularly giving the league's best teams all they can handle, and every game we can give our D yute in CLT is one more step in our overall plan. If and when a deal is done, whether we dangle Faulk or a couple of prospects and a pick, the longer we can wait, the better. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

It is never popular to call guys out, and this one is really intended to be a mild one, but is it just me noticing that Rask has been less dynamic in the last month or so?

To me it's more how really good he looked early than that he looks bad now.

See ya in St. Louis  https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-claim-forward-ty-rattie-from-st-louis-blues/c-285323822

Canes Claim Forward Ty Rattie from St. Louis

Goaltender Eddie Lack placed on injured reserve

Hey Ty, just stay there.  We'll come pick you up.

Edited by wxray1

I'm not sure if we know yet if we will be buyers or sellers at trade deadline. We are in a very similar position to last season. I'm not even sure we will be buyers if we have a legit playoff shot but we might stand pat. Then again we have a history now with Francis and last season when we had a shot although slim he traded to get what he could rather than lose a player. If that does prove to be the case I expect we go shopping for draft picks and prospects again.

23 minutes ago, remkin said:

It is never popular to call guys out, and this one is really intended to be a mild one, but is it just me noticing that Rask has been less dynamic in the last month or so?

To me it's more how really good he looked early than that he looks bad now.

Yeah, in the GDT I wondered where he (and Jordan, and Skinner) has been. Rask's biggest problems to my eye are his weak neutral zone play and not shooting enough. That's not say he should stop making plays, but the guy has a consistently high shooting percentage (11.9 at present). Sure, some of that is due to taking high-percentage shots; but his release is so deceptive and quick, and we've all seen how he can just cut to the slot with speed and pick his corner, that I'd love to see him take as many shots as Skinner. Skins is currently at 130. Rask has taken just 84.

Of course, outside of Skinner and Aho, none of our obviously-skilled shooters shoot the puck enough for my liking. Below are shooting percentages/shots taken: 

Jordan:    11.3/62

Stemp:    13.8/58

TT:           13.2/68

Stalberg: 13.7/51

Ryan:      14.8/27

Edited by top-shelf-1

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

See ya in St. Louis  https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-claim-forward-ty-rattie-from-st-louis-blues/c-285323822

Canes Claim Forward Ty Rattie from St. Louis

Goaltender Eddie Lack placed on injured reserve

Hey Ty, just stay there.  We'll come pick you up.

Another Blackhawks product--and Alberta kid. Wonder if he sold delicious purified water.

Edit: Blues product. (Played for the Winterhawks in WHL.)

Edited by top-shelf-1

Don't know Rattie, but cursory research, he was a very high second rounder in 2011 (#32 overall), who put up tons of points in the WHL, and pretty good in the AHL, but hasn't really found a spot in St Louis in the NHL. Skilled. RW. Interesting pick up. He has to stay with the Canes if we are to keep him, so we must like him more than someone currently in the picture.

I thought the word on Rattie was that he has a pretty weak frame, can't skate, and doesn't win puck battles.  Doesn't sound like a Peters kind of player - maybe put him with Staal and hope for the best?

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I thought the word on Rattie was that he has a pretty weak frame, can't skate, and doesn't win puck battles.  Doesn't sound like a Peters kind of player - maybe put him with Staal and hope for the best?

He needs some good Southern cookin'

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think he'll be on the fourth to start, if only b/c he hasn't played close to second-line minutes yet. Plus, assuming Lindholm can go, I could totally see Lindy/Jordan/Stalberg, with Nordy moving back to the fourth and Rattie on the other side. Nordy's been great with McC all year. I guess Nesty and Brock would be the healthy extras, and Brock goes back to CLT if Rattie plays well, just so he (McGinn) can keep playing. I think you leave the first and third lines alone for now. As long as they keep generating chances, the goals will come. But Jordan, Nordy, McClement, and Nesty COMBINED for TWO SOG last night. That's gotta change.

Edited by top-shelf-1

13 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Bruins put Khudobin on waivers.  Think i'd rather have Leighton tho.

Me too.  I wonder how much at risk (if at all) Leighton would be at if we did have to expose him to waivers on a trip back to Charlotte?  So far we haven't had to find out, but seems like at some point this season the issue may come up.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2017/1/3/14157126/long-may-you-run-ty-rattie

Here's an opinion piece a St Louis blogger put up on Rattie when he was put on waivers.

Quote:

Rattie has actual talent and could be a difference maker with a change of scenery and different jersey.

Largely states that Rattie, while not likely to be an All Star, has talent and never got a fair shot in St.Louis.

I like this quote:

STLGT writer Jeff Jones thinks Rattie is an untapped entity for a team in need:

Hard to imagine Ty Rattie getting through waivers. That's a lotto ticket somebody will want to scratch.

Looks like Francis scratched it.

Edited by remkin

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Me too.  I wonder how much at risk (if at all) Leighton would be at if we did have to expose him to waivers on a trip back to Charlotte?  So far we haven't had to find out, but seems like at some point this season the issue may come up.

If Lack was indeed concussed a second time I don't think there's any way he comes back to the NHL this year. It's the perfect opportunity for him to rehab and work with CuJo, and meanwhile the big club has a guy in Leights with a ton of experience who has gone deep in the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

Largely states that Rattie, while not likely to be an All Star, has talent and never got a fair shot in St.Louis.

Makes sense; like Chicago, there's not a lot of room on that roster.

I'm having a hard time understanding where Rattie fits in the lineup but admittedly I only remember him from a home game late last year and what I've read of him from St. Louis.  I highly doubt they put him on the fourth line. Some part of me says this is a wake up call move.

I'll play dumb because I have no idea why the Canes did this and what's planned?  See Frk.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm having a hard time understanding where Rattie fits in the lineup but admittedly I only remember him from a home game late last year and what I've read of him from St. Louis.  I highly doubt they put him on the fourth line. Some part of me says this is a wake up call move.

I wondered about that too, but who are you waking up? Nordy? Stemp? Stalberg? Maybe "shake up call" is more like it?

If he can bring it, I agree that him and Lindy with J in the middle feels like a good idea. I just don't know how you play him 18 mins a night right off the jump when the most he's played is 11, he has a total of 30 NHL games, and he doesn't know our system. But all of that said, I like the move. 23 years old and plenty of upside. 

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

I'll play dumb because I have no idea why the Canes did this and what's planned?  See Frk.

Good point! Rem's point that they must like him better than a current asset also makes sense. I guess we'll see soon enough. 

13 hours ago, remkin said:

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2017/1/3/14157126/long-may-you-run-ty-rattie

Here's an opinion piece a St Louis blogger put up on Rattie when he was put on waivers.

Quote:

Rattie has actual talent and could be a difference maker with a change of scenery and different jersey.

I like this quote:

STLGT writer Jeff Jones thinks Rattie is an untapped entity for a team in need:

Hard to imagine Ty Rattie getting through waivers. That's a lotto ticket somebody will want to scratch.

Looks like Francis scratched it.

I'm really impressed by his huge numbers he has put up in other leagues. .  Doesn't always pan out.....but if it does........what a steal by RF.  I think he will love being here having a team that has a role for him and lets him play and find his game.  

Maybe Rattie can be a spark plug the team needs at times.   I know little about him other than what Google brings up.  Bring him in, take a look, if it doesn't work, then waivers again.  A no risk, possible high (or some) reward.

I suspect it's what a Blues fan said: "Hard to imagine Ty Rattie getting through waivers. That's a lotto ticket somebody will want to scratch."

Hopefully our scouts are as good at evaluating little used NHL players as they have been recently in evaluating later round draft picks.  

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't see him jumping into the line up right away. He's been in the press box all season and needs to learn our system and get his legs under him. I have been wrong once or twice though.:rolleyes:

I would put him in tonight, if he's got any sort of competitive spirit I'd hope he would want to show his former team they made a mistake. He should be a foaming at the mouth bulldog for tonight's game. 

26 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I would put him in tonight, if he's got any sort of competitive spirit I'd hope he would want to show his former team they made a mistake. He should be a foaming at the mouth bulldog for tonight's game. 

12u4hc.jpg

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Early indications would appear to suggest Peters is doing just that. In fact putting him on a top line.

I think it is also a message to shake up the lethargic post break start we've had. I'm thinking that Nestrasil's stock is taking the biggest hit.

If the team comes out flying and Rattie does anything at all and we win, this could be a genius move. It's actually kind of low risk too. Nesty hasn't done much, Lindy apparently can't go, and this is not a game we would be expected to win. Then wake up the team, and let a guy face the team that waived him immediately. Nice.

Edited by remkin