The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Everything I look at on the bringing back the traded player thing is...

This is designed to keep a team from trading a player to a team with an available protection spot, and then reacquiring him before the season starts (in my understanding).  I'm not so sure that it means that a team can't trade a UFA to be and then resign that player prior to Jan 2018.  Seeing as how non of the talking heads and internet writers have brought this up as a deterrence to trade deadline deals, I'm inclined to think it's the correct interpretation.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I hope you're right, I'd like to see Stalberg back on the 4th line and PK next season.  

edit: just to clarify, in the above sentence PK means "Penalty Kill" and not "Peter Karmanos". :P

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, remkin said:

For the record, I am mega glad that Francis did not trade Hanifin. He is going to be the real deal.

Clearly Sakic was asking crazy prices as no one bit.

I do think that we see a major move in the offseason.

rem, I'd love to join you in that last thought, just that too often, that optimism turns sour? It certainly helps with the approaching doldrums, but in 9 years and counting, I guess I've been burned once too often. It would be nice though. I also guess the term "major move", as most, is a relative term here, thus ANYTHING could qualify, no?

Well, on to the next stage of Groundhog Day VIII, fanaticize over upcoming draft. Hopefully GMRF will package a few picks + and bring us home a scorer + another goalie.

Edited by KJUNKANE

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, I'd love to join you in that last thought, just that too often, that optimism turns sour? It certainly helps with the approaching doldrums, but in 9 years and counting, I guess I've been burned once too often. It would be nice though. I also guess the term "major move", as most, is a relative term here, thus ANYTHING could qualify, no?

I completely get where you're coming from. We've waited for major moves since the last one for Jordan Staal and signing he who shall not be named-sky.

But my speculation has some basis. Francis has been trying to make moves according to him, since last offseason. He tried to pry Drouin loose, and has just said that he has been on the phone constantly for the past 6 weeks trying to make a deal. There have been major rumors that we have heavily scouted the Avs.

My take is that, sort of like Sakic, up to now Francis was trying to make a good deal. As in us getting the better of it, or at least an even hockey trade. My guess is if this team had stayed in the hunt he might have take a slightly bad deal to push this year. However, once it became very unlikely that this team was going to go on a run, and in fact went on a losing streak, the importance of making a deal before the deadline evaporated. With tons of cap space and tons of picks in his pocket, and a pretty clear indication that this team does not have enough horses up front, and an expansion draft to boot, I think Francis sees this offseason as the one to make the move or moves to upgrade at forward and goalie.

Last year he very deliberately stayed the course. He decided before the season began that he was not going to make a splash unless the deal was too good to turn down. I know this for a fact. But now he has had a year to evaluate what to expect from different guys, and how this team is lining up. He has to see that we are short up front and in goal. If not, he wouldn't have been working the phones for that guy these last 6 weeks.

I stand by it. At least one and probably two major moves will be made before the next season starts. I predict we get a goalie from the expansion draft situation, and one legit top 6 forward.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I completely get where you're coming from. We've waited for major moves since the last one for Jordan Staal and signing he who shall not be named-sky.

But my speculation has some basis. Francis has been trying to make moves according to him, since last offseason. He tried to pry Drouin loose, and has just said that he has been on the phone constantly for the past 6 weeks trying to make a deal. There have been major rumors that we have heavily scouted the Avs.

My take is that, sort of like Sakic, up to now Francis was trying to make a good deal. As in us getting the better of it, or at least an even hockey trade. My guess is if this team had stayed in the hunt he might have take a slightly bad deal to push this year. However, once it became very unlikely that this team was going to go on a run, and in fact went on a losing streak, the importance of making a deal before the deadline evaporated. With tons of cap space and tons of picks in his pocket, and a pretty clear indication that this team does not have enough horses up front, and an expansion draft to boot, I think Francis sees this offseason as the one to make the move or moves to upgrade at forward and goalie.

Last year he very deliberately stayed the course. He decided before the season began that he was not going to make a splash unless the deal was too good to turn down. I know this for a fact. But now he has had a year to evaluate what to expect from different guys, and how this team is lining up. He has to see that we are short up front and in goal. If not, he wouldn't have been working the phones for that guy these last 6 weeks.

I stand by it. At least one and probably two major moves will be made before the next season starts. I predict we get a goalie from the expansion draft situation, and one legit top 6 forward.

Remkin, what is scary is I have heard this all before.  Like last season.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Remkin, what is scary is I have heard this all before.  Like last season.

Hey, so have I. But last season Francis said he was sticking to the plan of draft and develop and not looking to make big deals as a rule. He specifically used the words not make a splash. I just think he has to do something now. And so many things are lined up to do it. This time it's different. (IMHO).

I think we can get a steal or two before the expansion draft but Im not optimistic that it will be a big name.  As Francis said everyone is looking for big scoring centers.  To me that sounds the likelihood of us getting one is low.  

Tampa helped their exposing problems by getting rid of Flip.  On the flip side, Philly may not be able to compete with us for pre expansion draft trading.  We still have Columbus, Anahiem, and Dallas to potentially poach.

How the heck is he going to make a deal?    "package up" garbage and draft picks?  How?

And for UFAs, we're at the bottom of UFA lists.  Was watching the Chicago game a while back, and they explained how they flew Panerin over and showed him the place to convince him to come.  How about here?  Show them RCI?  (Panerin thinks: "Geez, we got better facilities all over Russia.")

And PK owning the joint.   He let's his friend JR mortgage the future and we pay?

OK, now I'm getting mad.  I said in the other thread I was calmed down.  I'm not.  I'm angry again.

This is why I feel Francis has to make a big off-season move. I think this is the last year that there where no change the status quo would fly. If he goes until next season making no changes everything will hinge on the team starting strong  and if we start out slow, look out below and that includes me. 

We do have assets. We have J Faulk. We have high-grade defense prospects. We have multiple draft picks.  Including probably a pretty high first rounder.  We have multiple prospects. And there are guys like Teravainen With skill but still potentially tradable. 

Edited by remkin

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

We do have assets. We have J Faulk

and Skinner, Staal, Lindy, Pesce. time to stop limiting our trade options to only one or two players. If a deal makes you better grab it

29 minutes ago, OBXer said:

and Skinner, Staal, Lindy, Pesce. time to stop limiting our trade options to only one or two players. If a deal makes you better grab it

Sure. The problem with trading those guys is one step up two steps back. But that's just my opinion. If you trade Skinner you need to replace 30 goals. If you trade Jordan, you need to replace size and possession and defensive dominance, Lindy is just blossoming into what we hoped, but I doubt that the N value is enough to get fair return and Pesce is probably the best defensive player on the team also underrated and unlikely to get the return we need. But if we get the right piece back? Sure.

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Sure. The problem with trading those guys is one step up two steps back. But that's just my opinion. If you trade Skinner you need to replace 30 goals. If you trade Jordan, you need to replace size and possession and defensive dominance, Lindy is just blossoming into what we hoped, but I doubt that the N value is enough to get fair return and Pesce is probably the best defensive player on the team also underrated and unlikely to get the return we need. But if we get the right piece back? Sure.

Faulk has to be on the top of the list for potential trades because of the potential return but he would also leave a hole we would have difficulty filling in the short term. The key for any of our "name" roster players is the return. I guess my point is that like and dislike of a certain player is no longer the key in an off-season trade. Lets face it we aren't going to fire sale a rebuilding team so the player(s) you move out has to bring a return that you believe will make you better. Nobody should be safe.

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

Lindy is just blossoming into what we hoped, but I doubt that the N value is enough to get fair return and Pesce is probably the best defensive player on the team also underrated and unlikely to get the return we need. But if we get the right piece back? Sure.

I think that's why Faulk has been mentioned so often, because he'd likely bring in the best return.  I'd expect the Canes value Lindholm and Pesce more than the rest of the league does.  That might not be the case with Faulk, and perhaps Hanifin and Slavin by now.  But somehow i doubt Francis would get enough for Lindholm and Pesce to make it worth trading them.

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Faulk has to be on the top of the list for potential trades because of the potential return but he would also leave a hole we would have difficulty filling in the short term. The key for any of our "name" roster players is the return. I guess my point is that like and dislike of a certain player is no longer the key in an off-season trade. Lets face it we aren't going to fire sale a rebuilding team so the player(s) you move out has to bring a return that you believe will make you better. Nobody should be safe.

I agree that nobody should be safe. I keep coming back to Faulk because I don't want to trade Slavin, Hanifin or Pesce, and trading our forwards either won't get the return, or worsens the problem we are trying to fix. The one exception in my mind is TT. I love the guys skill, but he is soft, and in the right deal I'd move him. Skinner creates a big goal-hole, Lindholm is a ppg player lately but won't get that return. J is a beast on d and possession, no one is trading Aho. Rask? Maybe... Who else would bring anything back? McKeown, Fleury, Bean, are all still prospects, not sure they'd bring back a proven top forward.

To me it's less about not liking Faulk as he's the main guy I'd move who will bring the return we need.

Pierre LeBrun over at TSN:

"Now, having said that, I still think Tampa will trade one of its top-six forwards this summer in exchange for a top-four defenseman, if at all possible."

Another possible trade partner for RF?

From the same article as above: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/last-minute-buyers-were-rewarded-while-late-sellers-came-up-short-1.685884

The Winnipeg Jets got just a sixth-round pick for Drew Stafford on Wednesday, whereas just a day before the Carolina Hurricanes had landed a third-round pick for a fellow pending UFA forward, Viktor Stalberg.  Stafford, Stalberg ... is there a real difference in talent here? I might actually argue that Stafford brings a bit more to the table. But the one day made a difference in price.

I am hoping that GMRF has been looking to this off-season as the one to make the bold moves.  We cannot be in better position.  A ton of picks, available protection slots, and tradeable young players (if that is where we want to go).

If we do little to nothing this off-season, then I will get very skeptical moving forward.

16 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Pierre LeBrun over at TSN:

"Now, having said that, I still think Tampa will trade one of its top-six forwards this summer in exchange for a top-four defenseman, if at all possible."

Another possible trade partner for RF?

I would love to see Faulk there--and whomever we get in return chowing down on him every time he's out on the ice. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I would love to see Faulk there--and whomever we get in return chowing down on him every time he's out on the ice. 

A dream come true.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:04 PM, hag65 said:

That's because the rule used to be the other way before time travelers changed it.  Proof that the time travelers must be from a team that needs to rent a player.

The Mandela Effect.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/crazy-examples-of-the-mandela-effect-that-will-make-you-ques?utm_term=.nh6Jr1vXa#.soxMy6JV0

Sherbet or Sherbert?

cant-do-this-list-without-including-how-we-all-sa-21514-1485967063-0.jpg

• Like 1

From Elliote Friedman's latest 30 thoughts:

9. If Duchene was eligible for an extension and the Carolina Hurricanes believed they could get it done, my best guess is he’d be there. But the Hurricanes weren’t paying the price for a two-year gamble.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trades-left-table-deadline-day/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

From Elliote Friedman's latest 30 thoughts:

9. If Duchene was eligible for an extension and the Carolina Hurricanes believed they could get it done, my best guess is he’d be there. But the Hurricanes weren’t paying the price for a two-year gamble.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trades-left-table-deadline-day/

I can see that being a potential problem but still think it was worth the chance. Ronnie always could of put him out there for trade near the end of the second year of the contract if negotiations were not going well. What was the excuse for Landeskog? Was the MNTC an issue that kicks in at 2018-2021? If RF is looking for the perfect acquisition it is rarely there for the taking.

2 hours ago, rocheccw said:

Tyler Johnson for Justin Faulk.  Might take a few more piece to get it done.

If I was GMRF I would offer Faulk, Bean, & 2 - 2nd for KUCHEROV!!!

I'd definitely do the first.

If RF could pull off the second, he should win GM of the year.