The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

My great dane attacked a Yorkie a few weeks ago.  As Hag stated, size matters.   You say no?  Let me tell you about the Carolina Hurricanes until the 2016-17 season and how they went with small skilied forwards and are now at the bottom of the east.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Size definitely matters.  But it skews the sample when our biggest guy plays like he's a pee wee.  Takes more than just size.

tin_man.jpg

• Like 1

The good news is that we have two huge skilled forwards in the system: Gauthier and Roy. They may be a year away, or maybe not, but those are big boys.

I will say that there are big guys who play soft, and I'd rather have a medium sized guy that plays with an edge. And there are guys who play with an edge but don't have NHL scoring skill.

The object of the game is to put the puck into the net. If a guy has proven to be able to do that, I'd rather have him than a big lug. We need scoring. My personal feeling is that almost always comes from skill and speed and work ethic more than anything.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

I'd rather start with a Captain. Numero Uno.

Thats pretty much the 800 lb gorilla in the room...or not in the room in this case

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'd rather start with a Captain. Numero Uno.

That why I would like to get Joe Thornton on a 2 year deal.  Big guy and can come in and be the leader.

But can we get in on some on this?

Spector's Hockey

Pierre LeBrun recently stated his belief that there could be fireworks in this summer’s trade market as teams attempt to deal with the expansion draft and a possible flat salary cap for next season. The Colorado Avalanche are expected to field offers for forwards Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog, but could find themselves in competition with other clubs also looking to move big name talent.

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

That why I would like to get Joe Thornton on a 2 year deal.  Big guy and can come in and be the leader.

Joe Thornton is an amazing captain all right, but have to think that he is the antithesis of the speed game Peters is trying to build?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Some have the peak playing years for a NHL player at 26-27 while others at around 25. So if your (it is a big if) building a team that may still be a couple years out I would think your big player needs to be under 25. There is some variables as a players big drop off usually doesn't start until age 30 but I think the goal is to have the team mature with most players in that 25-27 age range. Now if you get a older player whose contract is expiring in a couple of years then maybe. Of course you may have to take older players to make a deal but they won't be the focus.

The Canes are still in the incubator and unless we change our goal and go with a must win now plan you can't lose site of the overall rebuild.

Is it really age, size, grit, desire and or  a leader??? Perhaps its a little of each, or is the truth of the matter Skilled Players?    Look back at the past seasons, different faces, different lines, but almost always the exact same results, no matter whos behind the bench or whatever the system.. Average players do average things..

a. Last 3 Seasons of goals for: 195 / 183/ 205

b. Last 3 seasons of wins: 35 / 30 / 36

c. Last 3 seasons of goals against: 221 / 219 / 226

Current season: right on pace to be more of the same

a. 153 g/f

b. 25 wins

c. 179 g/a

6 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Is it really age, size, grit, desire and or  a leader??? Perhaps its a little of each, or is the truth of the matter Skilled Players?    Look back at the past seasons, different faces, different lines, but almost always the exact same results, no matter whos behind the bench or whatever the system.. Average players do average things..

a. Last 3 Seasons of goals for: 195 / 183/ 205

b. Last 3 seasons of wins: 35 / 30 / 36

c. Last 3 seasons of goals against: 221 / 219 / 226

Current season: right on pace to be more of the same

a. 153 g/f

b. 25 wins

c. 179 g/a

*disclaimer: all my numbers are based at this point of the season.

Well this season you need to be close to even to make the playoffs.  To be an elite team, a plus 30 or more.  So we need to be at least 26 more goals at this point or plus 56 to be top 5.  

We have 12 million of actual salary and possibly another 2.5 million when stempniak is picked up.  Im hoping we can squeeze 15 million in spending from PK and replacing stempniak's salary as well.

so 15 million to get another 30 goals is easily doable. Now I suspect TT will cost 2-2.5 million.  So subtract 1.6 million to remain goals neutral.

potential targets: Nino Niederrieter, TJ Oshie, Duchene, Palat, and a Columbus forward (one will be available for trade) will cost 5-6.5 million per and add 20-30 goals.

We need to add a big forward like the ones mentioned above plus one, 1 tier down in the 15-20 goal range.  Maybe have to replace stempniak's 12 goals as well.  

any additional goals we get from our current forwards for having better line mates would be a plus.

have about 3-5 million for goalie upgrade.

15 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Based on those stats this is a treading water.  RF/BP over rated?

Based on RC's posts, he has nothing new to say. (This announcement provided as public service for the couple of people who might not have noticed.)

Cardiac Cane has listed 5 goalies who might come open for us to focus on. In no particular order, they are: Mason, Bishop, Elliot, Grubauer and Darling. Anyone have a preference? Maybe a bigger risk, but I'd love to gamble on Grubauer, although he may be Eddie Lack II? Of course, there is the question, already posed, of what happens to Lack/Ward?

And top, I agree with your implied statement, that the assertion is "old hat", just like the media's trying to stir up controversy by posing that there is a "moral problem" in the team? Of course there is, and it is fueled by losing as well as not getting into playoffs? DUH

Edited by KJUNKANE

15 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cardiac Cane has listed 5 goalies who might come open for us to focus on. In no particular order, they are: Mason, Bishop, Elliot, Grubauer and Darling. Anyone have a preference? Maybe a bigger risk, but I'd love to gamble on Grubauer, although he may be Eddie Lack II? Of course, there is the question, already posed, of what happens to Lack/Ward?

Darling's a really good goalie and that's who I would pursue first but both your pick and my pick could easily be the result of their teams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

Darling's a really good goalie and that's who I would pursue first but both your pick and my pick could easily be the result of their teams. 

Why, you don't think our team could provide the same atmosphere as the ones they're on, haha!! 

24 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Of course, there is the question, already posed, of what happens to Lack/Ward?

If we're lucky, Vegas takes one of them.  Otherwise i have this fear that i'm not going to say out loud, but you all know what it is.  I hope that fear is misplaced.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Can we stop snipping at each other for a bit?   

TS is unable to contain his emotion with me. Twice he has been called out by the moderators, the last as recently as a week ago and here he goes again with a snide personal comment toward me, and totally blowing off the moderators demands as usual.  If TS could handle a contrarian point of view and recognize his amateur opinion is of no greater value than anyone else who ventures their opinion then all would be well.  I have abided by the moderators warnings but TS is unable to do so or doesn't care.

Edited by raleighcaniac
  • Like 1

I was thinking last week maybe Darling would be a good target but I chickened out when I thought about posting that here.

I'm odd, but I am glad I'm not absolutely crazy in that line of thought.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I was thinking last week maybe Darling would be a good target but I chickened out when I thought about posting that here.

I'm odd, but I am glad I'm not absolutely crazy in that line of thought.

In goalie forums he's spoken highly of in terms of talent and I might be bias but he participates in a beer leaguers goalie camp teaching everyday schmucks the ins and outs without alienating them so I would chalk that up to also having a good head on his shoulders. I can't afford to participate so I dunno how that makes me bias, but it's really cool he does that with what I assume is coveted free time.

Everytime I've seen him play he's extremely explosive to where the puck is and that might translate to wins in Carolina considering the types of get there quick goals that seem to go in.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

In goalie forums he's spoken highly of in terms of talent and I might be bias but he participates in a beer leaguers goalie camp teaching everyday schmucks the ins and outs without alienating them so I would chalk that up to also having a good head on his shoulders. I can't afford to participate so I dunno how that makes me bias, but it's really cool he does that with what I assume is coveted free time.

Everytime I've seen him play he's extremely explosive to where the puck is and that might translate to wins in Carolina considering the types of get there quick goals that seem to go in.

The dude is an incredible rags to riches story.  He came from the low of lows.  Sadly (due to family member's illness), I spent a lot of time in Chicago when he was put in play in Chicago.  There were a lot of interviews and details on his struggles and triumphs.  Wikipedia gives a pretty good super short summary on them.

He ultimately *was* an everyday schmuck for a while.