The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cardiac Cane has listed 5 goalies who might come open for us to focus on. In no particular order, they are: Mason, Bishop, Elliot, Grubauer and Darling. Anyone have a preference? Maybe a bigger risk, but I'd love to gamble on Grubauer, although he may be Eddie Lack II? Of course, there is the question, already posed, of what happens to Lack/Ward?

And top, I agree with your implied statement, that the assertion is "old hat", just like the media's trying to stir up controversy by posing that there is a "moral problem" in the team? Of course there is, and it is fueled by losing as well as not getting into playoffs? DUH

Darling and Grubauer seem like the 2 best options, based on recent play, and Grubauer based on age. If we get any of them, though, it will probably be Steve Mason. Struggling now, but good in the past. Seems like the type of move Francis would make.

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

"Darling said even at the lowest point, after being cut from what might have been the worst team in organized hockey, he never forgot something his father told him about getting ahead: "It was kind of like his motto — 'Saw the wood that's in front of you.'"

Chop Wood, Carry Water? Is it an omen for our future goalie?

10 hours ago, wxray1 said:

The dude is an incredible rags to riches story.  He came from the low of lows.  Sadly (due to family member's illness), I spent a lot of time in Chicago when he was put in play in Chicago.  There were a lot of interviews and details on his struggles and triumphs.  Wikipedia gives a pretty good super short summary on them.

He ultimately *was* an everyday schmuck for a while.

Thanks for posting that wxray!! It has got to be an omen, as if you notice in his bio, He played for the Louisiana Ice Gators, in the Cajun area of Louisiana, played close to where my aunt and uncle lived, St Martinville and very close to my home town, Baton Rouge. Thus my screen name and logo!!

I think everyone can agree that we need an upgrade in goalie.  The guys we have are not getting the job done.  To me, we get a #1 goalie this off-season and the one we do not expose is the backup.  If Vegas does not get the exposed one, we buy him out.

And then we need more offense.  Personally, I think the D will take care of itself with the guys we have already.  

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

I think everyone can agree that we need an upgrade in goalie.  The guys we have are not getting the job done.  To me, we get a #1 goalie this off-season and the one we do not expose is the backup.  If Vegas does not get the exposed one, we buy him out.

And then we need more offense.  Personally, I think the D will take care of itself with the guys we have already.  

Not me, I'm completely comfortable with Cam Ward next season if we make serious upgrades to our offense.  He has been pretty great this year and pretty great the last couple games.  He's still got a couple above average to great  years left in him.  Oh, and this is based on the fact that their is nothing out there any better.  Just other teams guys who had bad years but might be good again,  and AHLers.  Why give up our guy who had a "good" to almost "great" year for one of those?  Cam plays stellar when he's on a winning confident team that scores goals.  Sure if Carey Price was an FA this summer I'd say go get em, but he's not.  Upgrade Offense, keep eyes open for a goalie that we are sure is better than Cam and go from there.  I don't see it as top priority. Starting number one goal tender was not the problem this year and Cam does not deserve to take the heat for us sucking again. not this year.  He earned his spot as our number one unless some monster incredible goalie comes along. Focus on the real problem, we can't score more than one goal most games.

34 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Not me, I'm completely comfortable with Cam Ward next season if we make serious upgrades to our offense.  He has been pretty great this year and pretty great the last couple games.  He's still got a couple above average to great  years left in him.  Oh, and this is based on the fact that their is nothing out there any better.  Just other teams guys who had bad years but might be good again,  and AHLers.  Why give up our guy who had a "good" to almost "great" year for one of those?  Cam plays stellar when he's on a winning confident team that scores goals.  Sure if Carey Price was an FA this summer I'd say go get em, but he's not.  Upgrade Offense, keep eyes open for a goalie that we are sure is better than Cam and go from there.  I don't see it as top priority. Starting number one goal tender was not the problem this year and Cam does not deserve to take the heat for us sucking again. not this year.  He earned his spot as our number one unless some monster incredible goalie comes along. Focus on the real problem, we can't score more than one goal most games.

I completely disagree.  He had a couple of  good months but has not been good outside of those.  and if a .833, .864, .935, and .857 isn't a "pretty great the last couple of games" stat line.

Ward was an average-slightly above average NHL goaltender for two months.  He's been pretty below average every other part of the year.

and outside of that he has a .904 on the year.

Edited by JCLA

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

I've come back and re-read this a couple times and i'm still trying to decide if it's [/sarchasm] or not.  If it's not, i respect your opinion but largely disagree with it - this season i was relatively good with that pairing (yes, i whined a bit, but all told...) because of where we are in the rebuild (no, not everyone is in agreement on whether or not we're in a rebuild or where we are in it, but i'm just speaking my own feelings on it), but next season is the season we should apply what was learned this season, and what was learned is that goaltending needs to be shored up, IMO.

I think the extent of RF addressing any potential goalie acquisitions, it'll be a drafted player. Unless there's some weird combo of trades, like the moves that led to Dobby getting flipped for Wisniewski and Lacko acquired for picks. But I honestly feel both Ward and Lack don't have enough value to be desirable by other teams to trade for them.

Focus on goal scoring. Our defense is fine, and is going to improve incrementally every year. Our goal scoring has not and will not until we acquire someone who will cost $ to put the puck in the net. I'm also one who doesn't understand BP's logic in consistently throwing fringe AHL players on Jordan's wings. I'm pretty sure his numbers would be much more impressive with established NHL players. McGinn and Di Giuseppe have upside, but they don't belong on an NHL second line. 

Get a center to throw in with Skinner, and potentially another winger who can play with Jordan. I think Gauthier and Roy will be close to making the roster, and I seriously think Gauthier is going to crack it. But it's hard to predict these things with so much potential movement upcoming this offseason/drafts.

Another little seed that has planted itself in my head is the potential Jordan Staal asks for a trade. He was quite obviously pissed last year when we traded many of our players for picks when we technically still had a fighting chance. This year, a similar type of thing happened, granted it was more obvious that the team faltered and caused the switch from buyers to sellers, but when we initiated selling we still had somewhat of a chance yet again. If Jordan is pissed again about this he may ask to be moved. Personally, I don't want him to go anywhere, but I do want him to step up more. The conversation RF had about what a Captain needs in the Deadline Presser, they obviously don't see it in Jordan. Or anyone on the roster for that matter. 

And Jordo could be pissy RF failed to acquire anything before the team fell on it's face post ASG. I keep thinking, if we got an offensive player at some point leading up to the ASG break, could that player have made enough of a difference to change how things went. Meh. Another failed season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I've come back and re-read this a couple times and i'm still trying to decide if it's [/sarchasm] or not.  If it's not, i respect your opinion but largely disagree with it - this season i was relatively good with that pairing (yes, i whined a bit, but all told...) because of where we are in the rebuild (no, not everyone is in agreement on whether or not we're in a rebuild or where we are in it, but i'm just speaking my own feelings on it), but next season is the season we should apply what was learned this season, and what was learned is that goaltending needs to be shored up, IMO.

Absolutely not sarcasm.  I will not be jumping on the "Ward was the problem and a goalie is our #1 priority train".  Ward was pretty stellar for a long stretch this season, he got rode too hard and the offense collapsed at the same time he ran out of gas.  So who do you want to put in that situation next?  Lets see how they do when the crappiest offense in the league is in front of them year after year after year after year. What FA or possible trade partner do you want to take Ward's spot next year that will be so much better?  Put a confident offense in front of the guy, a confident team with an actual leader and the ability to score more than once a night and I guarantee he will get to the numbers you all throw him under the bus for not hitting this year. He proved he's still a valuable #1 this year on the crappiest team in the east.  Yes he's getting close to the age of no return for goalies but he's got at least one or two more left in him.  I won't cry either way if he's traded and we gamble with someone elses discarded goalie or we keep him.  I will be crying if we don't bring at least two guaranteed 25goal scorers and a captain here this summer.  That is by far the biggest priority. Yes Ward sucked the first 3 weeks of the season and that's on him for not being mentally ready.  Other than that, what else can you ask for from the guy?  12 shutouts so we could have won all those 1-0 games?

Just to put into perspective the amount of 1 goal games we had between Nov.-Feb.

Nov   Games=14    W=7   1goal or less=5 times

Dec.  Games=14     W=7   1 goal or less=3 times

Jan.  Games=13     W=6    1 goal or less=6 times

Feb. Games= 10    W=3     1 goal or less=5 times

So 37% of our games were one goal or less.  some months around 50%. 

In November we won 7 out of 9 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In December we won 7 out of 11 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In January we won  6 out of 7 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In February we won 3 out of 5 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

I just don't see goal tending as the problem this year.  Score more than once and we win a lot of the time with Ward in net.  Clearly the Goaltending was keeping us in it until the major offensive collapse happened in January and February where we  scored one goal or less 11 out of 23 games.  Its not great for a goaltenders psyche to go into every game knowing your gonna have to keep it 1goal or less to get a W.

This is why I see Goaltending as an added bonus pickup it we can and not a priority.  Offense, is by far the priority.

2 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Not me, I'm completely comfortable with Cam Ward next season if we make serious upgrades to our offense. 

He's like 25th in the league. That's not gonna get you to the dance, unless your O is pouring in 5 goals a night, which is not happening in today's NHL. Cam's a great "organization" guy and would be the perfect backup, who could get hot during a stretch drive if the #1 falters.

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Just to put into perspective the amount of 1 goal games we had between Nov.-Feb.

Nov   Games=14    W=7   1goal or less=5 times

Dec.  Games=14     W=7   1 goal or less=3 times

Jan.  Games=13     W=6    1 goal or less=6 times

Feb. Games= 10    W=3     1 goal or less=5 times

So 37% of our games were one goal or less.  some months around 50%. 

In November we won 7 out of 9 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In December we won 7 out of 11 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In January we won  6 out of 7 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

In February we won 3 out of 5 games where more than one goal was scored by us.

I just don't see goal tending as the problem this year.  Score more than once and we win a lot of the time with Ward in net.  Clearly the Goaltending was keeping us in it until the major offensive collapse happened in January and February where we  scored one goal or less 11 out of 23 games.  Its not great for a goaltenders psyche to go into every game knowing your gonna have to keep it 1goal or less to get a W.

This is why I see Goaltending as an added bonus pickup it we can and not a priority.  Offense, is by far the priority.

The BP system is designed to win games 2-1.  That means your goalie needs to hold them to 1.

.903 for your #1 is not going to cut it.  From your backup, sure.

Also, who here wouldn't like to win a shootout at some point in our franchise history?  We are 30th out of 30 all time.  And our #1 goalie the entire time the shootout has existed has been Cam. (Well it was introduced in 2005-2006 so I guess Gerber gets the first season)

All those shootout points lost, maybe we could have challenged for the playoffs a few times with a goalie that can do better in shootouts.

FWIW I love Cam.  He seems like the nicest guy ever.  I just wish he was a better goalie.

• Like 1

Would it be wrong to say we could use upgrades at both forward and goalie?

I really think we are talking about 2 guys, maybe three. 1-2 forwards and a goalie.

Cam has had great stretches, and when he's been bad a lot of times it has been facing suddenly very high quality chances, but at some point you have to have a better save % over the course of a year. It's not like no other goalie faces quality chances.

Personally, if I had to pick I'd take 40 more goals first.

damimal, I don't argue with those statistics you've shown, because they are just that, STATISTICS. Pure and simple numbers that can be used many ways. And as for Cam, yes, he has nights where he is brilliant in goal, no one denies that. His character is irreproachable, and a true credit to this club. Ridden hard into the dirt for years, essentially with 2nd tier backup.

What I see though, and what does not appear in any statistic I am aware of, are the BACKBREAKING, UNTIMELY  goals where you can see the air go out of the arena, and well as the players on ice. Put yourself out there, working your tail off, sustaining fore checks and finally scoring, only to have a stoppable goal leak thru or go glove high. That's why I see a need for another goalie. As you've stated, Cam, as iron man as he's had to be, is aging. We need someone to become the stalwart, and let the warrior begin to detach. JMHO

Needed asap..a true # 1 first line that can compete with the top tier of the Metro.. (now hold your napkins) didnt say it would be easy, but its whats needed first.. with a net minder extremely close 2nd.. imo, anything less this off season is a lesser attempt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's like 25th in the league. That's not gonna get you to the dance, unless your O is pouring in 5 goals a night, which is not happening in today's NHL. Cam's a great "organization" guy and would be the perfect backup, who could get hot during a stretch drive if the #1 falters.

When your team scores 1 goal or less 40percent of the time, you lose almost every time.  I would love to get a #1 so good that Cam is our very good backup.  I just don't see who's available in the NHL or who's in the trade rumors.  maybe RF pulls a surprise and gets a great Goalie, that's fine.  I'm just not going to put much if any blame on Ward for this season.  It's almost all on the garbage Offense.  I guess my main point to all this is:  If RF gets a true NHL first line with a couple big offensive additions, as well as a true captain, than I would have complete confidence in Ward being our # 1 next year.  I still believe he has it in him to have a stellar year, he just hasn't had a team worth a damn in front of him in a long long time.  And when your surrounded by mediocrity, it begins to rub off on you.  I think Ward is a guy that if he was surrounded by a very good team with confidence he would be right there with them. My opinion I guess, the guy plays amazing when the confidence is flowing, It's hard to keep it flowing when almost everyone on the team is struggling.

sarchasm alerts blaring

I think if anything we get lucky with a team trying to get something rather than lose a player for nothing in the expansion draft. Picks come in handy there. At the Entry Draft, there's potential we can get a top line center moving our first rounder+ like we did in the Jordan Staal trade. We also have that ridiculous cap space, so we could do another Bickell/Teravainen type deal, but I'd venture to say we'd want more established, proven scoring at this point. Doubt we sign anything significant in the Free Agency, but who knows how it'll be affected by the expansion. 

2 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

When your team scores 1 goal or less 40percent of the time, you lose almost every time.  I would love to get a #1 so good that Cam is our very good backup.  I just don't see who's available in the NHL or who's in the trade rumors.  maybe RF pulls a surprise and gets a great Goalie, that's fine.  I'm just not going to put much if any blame on Ward for this season.  It's almost all on the garbage Offense.  I guess my main point to all this is:  If RF gets a true NHL first line with a couple big offensive additions, as well as a true captain, than I would have complete confidence in Ward being our # 1 next year.  I still believe he has it in him to have a stellar year, he just hasn't had a team worth a damn in front of him in a long long time.  And when your surrounded by mediocrity, it begins to rub off on you.  I think Ward is a guy that if he was surrounded by a very good team with confidence he would be right there with them. My opinion I guess, the guy plays amazing when the confidence is flowing, It's hard to keep it flowing when almost everyone on the team is struggling.

If the Canes had top-10 goaltending all year, the Canes are in the playoffs. 

That is not to blame only Cam. Certain O absolutely failed to step up like they needed to - Jordan, Rask, Lindy - until too late (or not at all, in Jordan's case). Plus, the second and third D pairings, even when they were good, were nowhere near as good as the top pair. 

But these are all things that are going to happen every team, at one time or another, over the course of a season. Your keeper is there to carry you through them. He's the last line of defense, and if he's 25th in the league, your team is probably going to be right around there, too. I don't like it any more than you, danimal, because I truly like Cam, and really thought the changes he made to his game in the past three years would help. But even those couldn't change the fact that he is best under pressure, and his stats show he has never successfully made the transition from that stellar goalie who came out of nowhere and put the team on his back in the 2006 playoffs, when every game counted, to the reliable everyday guy who is so focused, no matter how mundane a game might get, that he simply doesn't allow cheap goals--like a Brodeur, Quick, or Rask.

Those guys' teams made/make the playoffs consistently for a reason: Good goaltending steals games. Average goaltending doesn't, and Cam is an average goaltender.

• Like 1

The lowest number of "goals for" for any team currently in the playoffs in the East, the lowest, is Ottawa at 170, and they're an outlier. The Canes have 155. We could use an upgrade at goalie, but it is lack of scoring that is the number one problem, especially since we've fallen out of it. We can't score more than one goal even against the worst teams in the league. Our top line forward scoring skill is massively off the mark. Massively. Tonight's one goal performance vs. Colorado was just more proof of this.

We have pretty good depth of skill up front but no where near enough at the top. Fixing goalie and leaving the scoring where it is will fix us just enough get us a worse draft pick after next year.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

I'm no rocket surgeon, but this team has two definite issues that I can identify. 

1. It has trouble putting pucks in the opponents goal.

B. It has trouble keeping pucks out of it's own goal.

That's pretty much it.

GMRF has to make some kind of moves over the summer to improve both of these.  The foundation is set and there are moveable assets that can be put into play, as well as available cap space that needs to be used for more than window dressing.  I'd saddle up Lack for the rest of the season and give him a chance to show somebody something besides the fact that he will be bought out this summer. Let Ward rest and eat corndogs on the bench.  Work the pre expansion draft yard sales.  Be active in making a splashy trade to help with scoring and marketing.  Blow the dust off the checkbook. 

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg.3c93577361c4892f877b2329c6ea7eda.jpg

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

You guys are crazy if you think our record is any better this year if we had one of the Goalies in the top 10.  Maybe a couple more wins, that's it.  Cam wasn't the problem. He would have given us a fair chance and a damn good chance if more than two guys could of broke 20 goals this year.   Sure bring in someone elses discarded unwanted goalie and see how he does here next year, maybe great, maybe horrible. Goalies are a gamble.  Their is no stud out there looking to come to Carolina or a team looking to give up their stud goalie to Carolina.  Focus on offense.  If a great goalie comes along with numbers that blow Cam away than sure, pick him up.  Why not.  Otherwise, build up the O and watch Cam have a great year.   

• Like 1

Danimal, even if Ward is "the guy" next year, RF still needs to fix the backup position.  I don't know what the issue with Lack is, but it's pretty apparent (to me at least) that something is up.