The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

So true about Rattie being motivated tonight, as well as against our next opponent, Chicago!! Think I read somewhere where he'd sustained a pre-season concussion in the Blackhawks game, I believe at the hands of Hjalmarsson, the latter suspended a few games for the hit. That ought to bring out further angst from Rattie. I believe I'll vote for him for 1st goal tonight.

Edited by KJUNKANE

According to Section328's twitter feed, there has been contact between the Canes and the Avalanche regarding trade options. Not shocking as probably every team has probably called, but interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

So, talking to Avs fans, it appears to be Hanifin or bust for them.  They have Erik Johnson and their own Faulk in Ty Barrie on the right side, and they want a #1 LHD.  If that's the case, I would give Fleury/Bean.

Again, Colorado would not want Faulk.  Their 2 best dmen play his position.  No point in having 3 big money players in the same position.

Lastly, Colorado would not want Faulk in a trade involving Duchene.

If they are thinking Hanifin, then thanks for playing, no soup for you.Yes, Hanifin is still learning his craft, but when he gets there he's going to be too good to trade for anyone on the Avs. To me Hanifin is close to no trade. While I would hate to part with Fleury, if they'd do that one I probably would, since we have Bean in the wings, but I can't imagine Fleury has that kind of trade value. It would have to be a package and then who we throw in would be everything. 

I'm sure that Francis is talking to Colorado, because he talks to lots of teams. I know for a fact that he talked to Yzerman and floated an offer for Drouin for instance. But what we don't know is what, besides Murphy, Francis is willing to part with.

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

So, talking to Avs fans, it appears to be Hanifin or bust for them.  They have Erik Johnson and their own Faulk in Ty Barrie on the right side, and they want a #1 LHD.  If that's the case, I would give Fleury/Bean.

Again, Colorado would not want Faulk.  Their 2 best dmen play his position.  No point in having 3 big money players in the same position.

Lastly, Colorado would not want Faulk in a trade involving Duchene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this post appears to repeat the same thing three different ways.

What Avs fans want and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Trades are made between GMs, not fans. The idea that they wouldn't want RHD is ridiculous, given the overall lack of it in this league. Skilled RHD is a valuable asset that we have and others (beyond the Avs) do not, simple as that. It can be utilized for additional team building in trades with other clubs, and Avs mgmt knows it. On top of all this is the fact that the Avs are not in a position to demand anything. They're the sellers in this scenario; as buyers, we offer what we offer and they can take it or leave it. 

I'd hate to give up Hanifin, but if other pieces are involved, it's wide open.  They're in dead last right now - think they're desperate enough to put their 1st-round pick in play?

56 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

What Avs fans want and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Trades are made between GMs, not fans.

If that's true, what is the point in this entire thread?  Admittedly, some come off as fan-GM's more than others, and that has entertainment value. 

I know fans don't make trades, but sometimes it's interesting to understand what a team's hard-core fans think about the team they follow as closely as we follow ours when these trade rumors pop up.  Most never happen anyway.

I'd agree with PK, and their "fans" who think a LHD is more of a long-term need, for what that's worth.  

Edited by coastal_caniac

If the Avs really are going to blow it up and trade core players, IMO that makes Faulk more of a non issue than the whole RHD/LHD thing.  They are going to want Hanifin or Slavin.  These guys are younger and cost controlled.  It's going to be tough to sell a quantity over quality trade like Fleury, Bean, plus because we are in magic bean ( no pun intended) category now.  Duchenne isn't a rental with no time left on his deal.  Why would the Avs trade their coins for a sack of magic beans?

There has been a lot of talk by fan gms about not wanting to do a deal with Duchenne only being under contract for a couple of years beyond this season.  That doesn't bother me a ton.  Sometimes you have to take a chance, and it's a whole lot better than giving up what JR did for JStaal who would have been available the next summer as a UFA.  

7 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

They are going to want Hanifin or Slavin.  These guys are younger and cost controlled.

I brought this up weeks ago and nobody was having any of it.

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Its hard to argue with people that know more than you

sarchasm alert

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this post appears to repeat the same thing three different ways.

What Avs fans want and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Trades are made between GMs, not fans. The idea that they wouldn't want RHD is ridiculous, given the overall lack of it in this league. Skilled RHD is a valuable asset that we have and others (beyond the Avs) do not, simple as that. It can be utilized for additional team building in trades with other clubs, and Avs mgmt knows it. On top of all this is the fact that the Avs are not in a position to demand anything. They're the sellers in this scenario; as buyers, we offer what we offer and they can take it or leave it. 

Yes, I purposely stated the same thing 3 times to get a point across.

And yes, I do agree with you that what Avs fans want back is irrelevant, but in this case is true.  It doesn't make sense to have 3 really good RHD, and 1 okay LHD.  I mean, between Faulk/Barrie/Johnson, one of them is only going to be averaging 15-17min AOI, which is a complete waste.  It makes even less sense to trade your best player to make that scenario happen.  I know some of you guys (not you in particular Top) have the dream scenario of getting a #1 center at the expense of Faulk, but it has to make sense for the other team too.  The only way Colorado wants Faulk is if they traded Johnson or Barrie, but they just re-signed both of them to rather large extensions.

My offer would be Bean + Fleury, or Bean (or) Fleury and our 2017 1st, with a top 4 lottery protection (otherwise 2018 1st).

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Would anyone trade Hanifin for Duchene or Landeskog? Mini poll. Straight up Hanifin for either one.

I'd be tempted, but probably wouldn't straight up. I was an advocate for a Faulk for Draisaitl or RNH plus Edmonton's first last year, but never would have done that straight up. I feel the same about Hanifin, I'd want a two for one to be willing to give him up now...or a superstar like Matthews or McDavid (I know that's not happening, just an example). I don't think either of Landi or Duchene fit that criteria.

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Would anyone trade Hanifin for Duchene or Landeskog? Mini poll. Straight up Hanifin for either one.

No.

Im against trading any of our roster Dmen for Duchene.  I think trading any of them would be taking a step backwards on D, and negate any progress we make in scoring.  If we played Fleury for any stretch during this season and he showed upside, then yes.

I would overpay in prospects/picks in order to keep our current D.

Our fan base does this too.  We usually offer back a "package of junk" for some star player. 

Love being a GM for the day!

When we have top 2 type guys playing 3/4 and 5/6 we can consider dealing.  When we have 3/4 and 5/6 playing above their level we should keep stacking the deck.

38 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

When we have top 2 type guys playing 3/4 and 5/6 we can consider dealing.  When we have 3/4 and 5/6 playing above their level we should keep stacking the deck.

X2 and what I've been saying for almost a year now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I don't think that's true, at least not for me. I think my exact response (working from memory, here) was, "What they want and they can get are two different things." And than I posted a particular Stones' song.

Again, in this scenario, Denver is selling. If we're buying and give more than we should, we're stupid. Ronnie isn't going to do that; nobody was giving up the first-rounders they had in development when we were down. Denver fans need to reduce their THC intake if they think we will. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think that's true

I suggested that Avs fans would want Slavin or Pesce, not Faulk.  Which is true, if you follow the Avs at all.  The response was that either I or the Avs fans are crazy.  ;)

Edited by coastal_caniac

12 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

X2 and what I've been saying for almost a year now.

I thought I read something along these lines somewhere. :)

• Like 1

I guess what I'm curious about is specifically people's thoughts on Hanifin. I see him as the kind of D man you usually have to pick in the top 3 or get lucky, and a guy who will eventually become one of those D men that most teams don't even have one guy that good. I realize that he's not that right now as he still makes too many mistakes, but the skill is there, and he's only 19 years old. I would only trade him for a bonefide, young, top 20-25 IC type forward, and even then only if that guy was pretty proven.

Am I wrong? Do others value him as highly? I see him to as close to unavailable for trade as any player on the team or in the system.

34 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I suggested that Avs fans would want Slavin or Pesce, not Faulk.  Which is true, if you follow the Avs at all.  The response was that either I or the Avs fans are crazy.

Not my response, is my point. Of course that's who they want, and I never suggested you're crazy for letting us know or that they are for wanting them. Who wouldn't? Meanwhile, I want Duchene and Landeskog--for Murphy and Faulk. But that's not happening, either.

My point then was simply that Slavin or Pesce aren't on the table, but that Faulk could be. Now (as then) my point (again) is that what Avs fans want is meaningless. What matters in any transaction is who's buying, who's selling, and their respective situations. The Avs are selling, and are desperate. We can be buyers, and we're not desperate.

In light of that, the only question that really matters where Avs fans are concerned is whether their GM can convince them he made the best deal available. If Slavin or Pesce or Hanifin are not available, are fans really gonna stop coming to games because they got Faulk and Murphy instead? 

The pertinent questions in this situation are these: how low their GM will go, and whether he can convince fans he made the best deal he could.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Slavin is probably our best all around defenseman, and young, and Pesce is probably our best defensive defenseman and RHD at that (and also young).

So to me the triad of Hanifin (future) and Pesce/Slavin (present and future) is pretty close to no deal.

But again, that's me. Would others move any of them?

Edited by remkin