The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade rumors and talk

I would probably take Duchene for Faulk, but the possibility of that trade was beat to death before the deadline, and one side or the other balked. All of our young D are going to be growing into the need for new contracts within a year or 2 of each other. In a perfect world I'd keep them all, but the world is not perfect and this team has 2 glaring needs and a surplus of young D. Faulk seems the logical one to go, but we shall see.

Before we talk too much about Faulk going, can we get rid of Murphy first? He's coming up soon as a UFA but this is Dahlbecks contract year. Let's drop Murphy, sign Dahlbeck, and then talk about what's left (IMO). Dahlbeck is a big body and will move people around. He still needs some experience but beats the socks off of Murphy!

Edited by Caniac5
  • Like 1

I'd rather give up Hannifin first.  I'm just not impressed.  He coughs it up whenever he's about to be hit, he never lays a hit.  He's a great skater, and he's got a good stick.  Other than that I can see us missing him way less on the blue line than Faulk.  When Faulk is on his game he is a beast and his slap shot is a cannon.  I know how young Hannifin is and that he may end up being something special.  As of now I'm not really seeing it, he's just to safe and timid.

32 minutes ago, Caniac5 said:

Before we talk too much about Faulk going, can we get rid of Murphy first? He's coming up soon as a UFA but this is Dahlbecks contract year. Let's drop Murphy, sign Dahlbeck, and then talk about what's left (IMO). Dahlbeck is a big body and will move people around. He still needs some experience but beats the socks off of Murphy!

If you have drugs that will cause Sakic to give up Landeskog or Duchene for Murphy, then by all means please don't hold back.

1 hour ago, Caniac5 said:

I don't think Murphy is important enough to merit much discussion anymore.  Pretty sure the general consensus is that he's gone one way or another. Although I guess I could see signing him to a 2-way contract if the Chex want him; he has been successful at the AHL level.

• Like 1

We have worked too hard on our D to give up any of the four players of our top two pairs. IMO Faulk is just idel chatter at this point by those "in the know" who need to fill blank space. 

A couple of things have changed the need in the last few weeks. Lindy looks like he has made the move to center and is playing well. J is going to give you an A game each night and I can't imagine Rask won't find his game again. Skinner is the real deal and Aho too. So the need is still there to upgrade at forward but maybe not at the expense of giving away the farm to get an upgrade. We have more options now. IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

If you have drugs that will cause Sakic to give up Landeskog or Duchene for Murphy, then by all means please don't hold back.

Or Bogart them.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think Murphy is important enough to merit much discussion anymore.  Pretty sure the general consensus is that he's gone one way or another. Although I guess I could see signing him to a 2-way contract if the Chex want him; he has been successful at the AHL level.

Murphy has another year on his contract, so unless we want to buy it out, trade him, or he gets selected by Vegas, he's our #7 defender next year.

12 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Murphy has another year on his contract, so unless we want to buy it out, trade him, or he gets selected by Vegas, he's our #7 defender next year.

I wonder if the org would pay him $787k to play in Charlotte while we tried to move him for whatever he might bring?  I was thinking about Boychuk as a precedent, but he always had what I call a "modified" 2-way, getting upwards of $200k even at the AHL level.  As far as buying him out, we'll still be under Semin and Wiz' contracts next year, and I believe a team can only have 3 buy outs at a time.  So what happens to Murphy could also be influenced by what we do with Ward or Lack if it comes down to buying one of them out to make room for the new, true #1 goalie RF is going to get us this summer ( :crossfingers:).

Thinking about it, it might not be worth it to buy out Murphy.  You'd save $263k but you'd tie up one of our 3 allowable buy-out-clauses for the next two years.  It might be worth that $263 to play him in Charlotte (he has done really well at that level) with the outside hope that he makes enough of a breakthrough to bring back something in a trade next year.  He's still only 23yo, and we've all heard about how much later most d-men develop as compared to forwards.  

Edited by LakeLivin

sheesh after this last stretch and the Detroit game I don't who I'd be willing to part with.  Hannifin really stood out to me last night for the first time in  a while.  Faulk was an obvious allstar that no team should want to trade.  Skinner and Aho unbelievable.  Lindholm laying a monstrous hit on a Red Wing........what?  Boys are making it hard to hate on anyone right now.  They are all contributing in a big way and playing important roles.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Boys are making it hard to hate on anyone right now.

Not to hard to contemplate trading TT after last night. And Rask has been so invisible over the last 2/3rds of the season that I wouldn't hate on trading him either. Neither is going anywhere, I know.

TT did have a rough one. Rask? I really wonder if he is injured.

I would agree that neither is on the "no possible way do you trade them list". With Lindolm looking good at center, if we got a top line Center in a deal, we could lose Rask. And TT is a very nice complementary player with abundant skills, but a bit soft, and not untradeable.

Don't get me wrong. I don't advocated trading either one, especially if Rask is hurt and could come back to form next year. I favor compiling forwards at this point.

Edited by remkin

Thing about Rask and TT is that even if we're dying to trade them (we're not, and i'm not), they're not going to get us what we need in return unless they're part of a package.  Nobody's going to trade us a 1C for either of them, i don't see us getting a 1G for them, and trading forwards for more defense is silly at this point.  Which is why we keep coming back to defensemen - that's where our strength and depth are, while forwards and a true 1G are our needs.

TT did have a rough game last night, mind, and i haven't been as high on him as some others have this season.  But trading him won't accomplish much unless someone out there covets him.  Of course if Chicago decided they really wanted him back and we could get Darling in the bargain...

59 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Not to hard to contemplate trading TT after last night. And Rask has been so invisible over the last 2/3rds of the season that I wouldn't hate on trading him either. Neither is going anywhere, I know.

Yeah but Rask should be our really good 3rd line center, so I'd keep him because center role is obviously hard to fill.  TT, I think he gets a little better every year and hasn't hit his peak, but I wouldn't really miss him that much either if a decent 3rd line winger was gained for him.  That's really all he is too, and his production matches that just fine imo.

I am of the thought that we should avoid trading roster players and expend some prospects and draft picks to acquire what we need if possible.  We have a good amount of assets here.  If we want a true #1 center though, we will probably have to give up one of our top 4 D.  Minus Slavin of course, he's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

At some point I'd like to know if Rask is injured, because the way he started the season, I'd love to see if he could get back to that, especially if he's been playing through something like he did last year.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:24 PM, remkin said:

At some point I'd like to know if Rask is injured, because the way he started the season, I'd love to see if he could get back to that, especially if he's been playing through something like he did last year.

If only the N&O had someone on the Canes' beat... oh, never mind.

ABC 11 has their two top sports guys out in Phoenix right now; doesn't matter as Canes at best sometimes get on for the last 10 seconds of sports portion. As weak a hockey market as there is. When the health of a Tarheels ankle is a lead sports story you know where hockey stands locally.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:46 AM, MinJaBen said:

Everybody has bad nights. You're right, both guys are here to stay, and with their ages, deals, and at #3 and #6 in total points, they should be. TT is just 22, an RFA, and (IMO) right where you'd expect a guy taken at 18 overall, as a potential top-six guy, to be, development-wise. If he can get a little bigger and harder on the puck during his upcoming bridge deal, there's no telling where he might top out in the roll-four-lines system BP plays. 

I know folks are concerned RF will decide it's all good up front and not add to the forward corps, especially given its production since the TD (not to mention RF's waaaaay-overly glowing assessment of Cam's play in the second half last year). I don't see that happening, but I do see the priority being an RW, not a 1C. We're rich with natural centers, and have more (and big ones) in the pipeline. If we can solve the problem between the pipes and add a winger with size, speed, and scoring/playmaking touch, guys like TT and Rask will be the perfect complement, players who, just when the opposition thinks they've got all our "big threats" covered - Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, and the new guy - make a play and burn them anyway.

Beyond goaltending, I think the big problem this year was the young guys not pacing themselves for what was a very anomalous NHL schedule, thanks to Bettman's Follies (the World Cup). The extent of first-half travel would have been brutal in a normal year, but with the compressed schedule, I think that really took a toll on our young guys. Cam played well in Nov. and Dec., no question about it, but when you look at the shots allowed, the D played a big role in that, absolutely smothering the opposition those two months. But it couldn't sustain that level of suffocation, and Cam couldn't handle the added work. When half your D is in only its second season, and when the schedule is like this one was, and you are not balancing your keeper's workload, it's gonna show up on the scoresheet.

I think Pesce and Slavin in particular ran pretty much on the pure of adrenaline of making the roster and wanting to stick last year, then brought the same intensity to the first half of this year, and it finally caught up with them. The coinciding, near-total lack of offense only made things worse. With the right addition up front, a top-10 goaltender, and a more-normal schedule, next year should bring plenty to be excited about.

Edited by top-shelf-1

8 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

ABC 11 has their two top sports guys out in Phoenix right now; doesn't matter as Canes at best sometimes get on for the last 10 seconds of sports portion. As weak a hockey market as there is. When the health of a Tarheels ankle is a lead sports story you know where hockey stands locally.

There are two sports seasons in North Carolina: Basketball season and waiting for basketball season.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

There are two sports seasons in North Carolina: Basketball season and waiting for basketball season.

forget trying to get a bar to put the Canes game on anytime in March........hard enough the other 6 months. Kills me.  Now if we make the playoffs than everybody jumps on.

• Like 1