The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

John Scott retires

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680493-john-scott-retires-from-nhl-latest-comments-and-reaction

Bettman and the NHL massively screwed up the whole John Scott deal at the All Star Game.  What could have been a great marketing opportunity ended up being a collusion issue when they "arranged"  a trade to hopefully make him ineligible for the ASG.  The players and fans embraced him and what happened is a great story.

I hope Scott gets what he deserves from the NHL whether he is gainfully employed by the NHL (the guy is a great ambassador), or sues the crap out of the league for collusion.

Unfortunately the feel good story for the fans and the fairytale of the All-Star game was it for him. Everyone including myself forgot he went back to the AHL and was far apart from his family and what Bettman did to him continued to essentially wreck his life the remainder of the season.

Good read as well:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/john-scott-retirement/

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 8:19 PM, legend-1 said:

Unfortunately the feel good story for the fans and the fairytale of the All-Star game was it for him. Everyone including myself forgot he went back to the AHL and was far apart from his family and what Bettman did to him continued to essentially wreck his life the remainder of the season.

Good read as well:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/john-scott-retirement/

Excellent, excellent story.  No B.S., he gives a great window into the player's life.

Another great Players' Tribune article by Scott.  His one about the ASG was great too.  He's a sharp guy, and still would be a great guy for the league or one of the networks to employ.   

John Scott is a good story any way you cut it. 

You know, I still get chirped by people on the Internet. They’ll say, “You’re just a joke. You only scored five goals in your NHL career.”

What can I say?

You’re damn right I did.

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yep.  And this on the ASG MVP presentation of the million dollar check gets me right in the feels...

I skated up to accept it, and Gary was smiling, and I was smiling, and then he goes, “So, are we still O.K.?”

It was almost like he was worried I was going to Hulk Hogan the check — just tear it straight down the middle and suplex him for the crowd.

I just kept grinning, thinking, Dude, you do realize that I would trade all of this away if I could go back to playing for the Coyotes and living in Arizona with my pregnant wife and kids, right?

I loved the way the players embraced him throughout the weekend.  There are a lot of "John Scotts" in hockey.  Not just enforcers, but guys who are dedicated to the game and will do what it takes to just hang in there from season to season.  What started out as a joke (maybe) to many, evolved into a celebration of all the "John Scotts" of the world of hockey.  Not only does he represent the great journeyman, he does it with class and intelligence.

John Scott, I tip my hat to you.  Well done.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

You know, I still get chirped by people on the Internet. They’ll say, “You’re just a joke. You only scored five goals in your NHL career.”

What can I say?

You’re damn right I did.

Yeah, even if they ghost-edit these, I have to think this is from Scott himself.  Classic, classic.

wxray1's goal count: ZERO

Edited by wxray1