The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

2017 IIHF World Junior Tourney

Here's a place to discuss this great tournament of future NHL stars. Starts for real Dec. 26th.

This tournament is for under 20 year olds only.

All games are in Toronto (Air Canada Centre) and Montreal (Bell Centre) with the finals in Montreal.

Canes have 4 guys in the Tourney:

3 of them on Team Canada, the hardest team to make, and 1 on Team Finland, last year's champs.

Jake Bean, Julian Guathier and Nicholas Roy are on Team Canada

Janne Kuokannen on Team Finland

Here is a link to the official website of the tournament: http://www.worldjunior2017.com/en/

Teams have played exhibitions games, and our guys are contributing so far:

Kuokanen has 3 primary assists in two games.

Bean has 2 assits (4 games vs other WJ teams)

Gauthier has 2 goals and 2 assists (4 games)

Roy has 2 goals and 2 assists (4 games) including the OT game winner in their last game.

Last night it was mentioned that Roy and Gauthier are playing on a line together.

Real games start December 26th:

USA plays Latvia, 3:30 PM EST, NHL network

Finland plays the Czecs, 6PM EST, NHL network

Canada plays Russia, 8PM EST, NHL network

All of Canada, Finland, USA games are televised on:

TV: NHL Network: TV schedule: http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/713470?referrer_id=752796

This really is the tournament of future young stars that are (mostly) not yet in the NHL, so much of it is worth watching anyways, but I will be most interested in games with our guys: Canada and Finland. 

Last year was the Sebastian Aho coming out party. In a "who's who" list of future NHL players, (including names like Laine, Matthews, Tkuchuck, Nylander, Puljujarvi, etc.) And out of over 180 position players:

Aho finished:

#2 points

#2 assists

#3 goals

#2 plus-minus

The other Canes' prospect standout last year: Alex Nedeljovic: #2 goalie in the tournament: .943 save percentage, 1.66 GAA.

I am very high on all 4 of these guys (Kuok and Bean are only 18, and will be for quite a while), but I am uniquely stoked about Roy, who we picked in the 4th round for crying out loud. This is just further validation that Roy really could end up being that rare 4th round NHL success story.

Very interested in watching all of our future players go against other elite under 20 players. There are no better formats to watch our prospects than these televised games from NHL arenas. These 4 players are the cream of our under 20 crop.

Edited by remkin

Not sure if anyone watched the games. I thought all of our guys looked solid overall. Roy got a really nice goal. Gauthier flashed the skill a bit, but seemed weak on the puck at the start, but got better as the game went on. Bean was solid. Kuokkanen showed some nice passing skill, but didn't figure into the one goal. Announcers gave Roy a fair amount of love. He's apparently added 30 pounds to his previously string bean frame. They also couldn't stop talking about his 60% in the faceoff circle.

Bean and Gauthier are both big guys. When you watch big guys playing around smaller guys, the big guys just look slow, even if they are not. Roy was the number one overall player for his original draft into the Q, so he was thought early on  to be more than a 4th rounder. He is.

Not the ones that got away because they were taken ahead of us, but Jost and Keller both looked great, probably the best from their draft class.

Gauthier almost undressed a D man for a highlight reel play, but it didn't materialize. He is capable of the big slick play and is around the net a lot. I think he'll get some goals.

Roy and Gauthier are on a line with Jost.

For those with U verse, NHL network seems to have been added between last season and this one. I didn't have it last year, didn't order it, now have it. :D

I thought Barzal looked great.  Roy definitely stood out and looks like he has an NHL type game.  Wins puck battles, anticipates well, and has a large body.  His game reminds me of Brandon Sutter's style.

I agree Manwolf. Barzal has that high end skill.

GM's love big centers, and Roy has skill to go with it. Roy was the number one overall pick for the Q, so was ID'd early as elite, but had an off year and fell back. Since then he's been on fire. Lots of hope for him.

Watched a bit last night.

They keep knocking out the front half of the Fin's games. Have to record the re-broadcast to get the whole thing. Kouk looked a bit tentative early, but came on a bit late. He doesn't get major minutes, I'm assuming in part due to him being 18. I really saw more in the Traverse City tourney. It also doesn't help the Fins have dug an 0-2 whole for themselves. I still have high hopes, but he is clearly not having an Aho tourney, though that bar is ridiculously high.

The Canadians:

Jake Bean looks very calm and poised on the back end. Seems to be getting lots of minutes. Can't really see the prolific offense yet, though he did have one very good chance moving up on the play. Again, and 18 year old in a 19 year old's tourney, and on defense. I think it's very positive that he is playing such a key role.

Gauthier showed more of the flash this last game. Playing with Jost and Roy is helping him. He seems to be gaining confidence. He has two assists tying him for #10 in the tourney (though just two games in), but mainly he is making plays and getting off a lot of good shots. I think that the high level skill is there and he will just keep getting better and better.

Roy: Solid. Just seems solid. He moves the puck very quickly, often seems like a deflection from him to the next guy. He also seems to have a very good shot. He doesn't have that frenetic "he's everywhere all the time" look that, say Jost has, but I really think it's because hes a big guy. He's doing well on face-offs, though dropped back a touch to #15.  It will be an interesting comparison to see how Roy's career progresses to that of Logan Brown, another big center taken a couple of picks ahead of our Bean pick last year at #11. He's a year younger that Roy, but WAY more highly touted in his draft year.

Anyways, I sort of like comparing the progress of guys above and below our picks. In that vein it will be interesting to see how Gauthier does vs. the Jost/Keller/Brown/A. Nylander grouping, and McLeod. All guys taken ahead of our pick, but possible trade up targets. Pretty sure if any of the first 4 dropped we'd have taken them ahead of Bean, and probably a D man in Gauthier's spot. In a way there really are a lot of guys to compare Gauthier to. Luke Kunin and Keifer Bellows were there when we passed and took Bean, and Rubstov, Borgstrom and Max Jones were there when we took Guathier.

But I digress. We have some really interesting other prospects up front (Zykov, Sareela, Foegle, Poturalski) but these 3 in this tourney really seem to be our best and brightest.

Since this is an In the System topic, I'll just add that Fleury is looking pretty decent in Charlotte, and Bean, Fluery and McKeown is as high end depth as we've ever had "in the system" on D, and that is with 3 guys who normally might be "in the sytem" on the team in Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

And so does SD

Looking over Team Canada's roster, there are only two forwards 6'4" or bigger: Roy and Gauthier. The way Gauthier moves he really doesn't look 6'4".

In fact there is only one guy bigger on the entire roster. D man Philipe Myers at 6'5".

When Roy and Gauthier hit the Canes line up, our average size will jump significantly.

Not a lot of chatter on here. I've seen some games, and will offer my thoughts, but if anyone has watched any of these guys more closely please offer opinions.

Tourney:  Finns out.

Quarter Finals:

Denmark vs Russia, USA vs Swiss, Sweden vs Slovokia, Canada vs Czecs. (Russia vs USA, Canada vs Sweden).

Kuokanen first: zero points in 5 games. But the Fins are the lowest scoring efficiency team of all 10 teams. They've scored 8 total goals in 5 games. Kuok barely sniffs the PP, and really doesn't seem to get a ton of ice time. I saw a few nice plays, but overall, just not really standing out.

Bean: zero points in 5 games, but looks good out there. Very confident and steady with the puck. Really more of an eyeball test, but seems good even if not a standout. Seems to be getting a good amount of ice time.

Roy: 2 goals, 0 assists. Now Canada is piling up points, but 2 goals is still respectable. He looks huge. He moves the puck quickly. Seems to have a good shot. Skill doesn't stand out nor look out of place.

Gauthier: 1 goal, 2 assists. To my eye has has more elite skill that Roy. I see flashes of really high end stuff. I have high hopes. He is on some PP time, but not the first unit.  He is not the star of the team, but acquitting himself well. His skill makes it hard to believe he's as big as Roy. Gauthier is a year younger too. If he plays next year, could be a star. 

No breakout a la Aho. That kid just led about every category and on a Finn team that was loaded, while this one seems to be more re-loading.

I still have high hopes for all of these guys as prospects, and Canada still has more hockey to go in this one. The are the late game tonight vs. the Czecs.

Edited by remkin

Well our guys looked really good in that quarterfinal game vs. the Czecs, especially Gauthier, who got two goals, one nicely assisted from Roy, and Gauthier won best player of the game. Bean had a tough pinch that lead to a goal against, but really looked very good the entire rest of the game. Roy looked good too.

Roy, Gauthier and Bean got more PP time tonight and played a lot of it on the same unit. That was kind of cool seeing Hurricanes prospects form 3/5 of that PP unit.

When Gauthier got his hardware for best player for Canada, you could see how huge he is.

It was a good night for our guys.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 2

They decided the freaking gold medal game with a shootout?  Oy vey.  Why doesn't the hockey world just cut to the chase, give up the whole 'team play' thing, and roll out 2-hour shootout every night?  Kind of glad i wasn't able to watch after all - would have been highly disappointed to sit through a tournament game only to have it decided by that bunch of mess.

Watching the WJC, our 3 (Gauthier, Bean, Roy) could be large part of the future for this team. Bean has a rocket from the point and Gauthier and Roy have tremendous skill. I agree that ending it in a skills competition is a major disappointment. I'm OK with 5 on 5 for the 1st OT. 4 on 4 for the 2nd on would be more appropriate.

While I am happy Team USA won, I was rooting for Team Canada because of our draft picks.

It was a game neither team deserved to lose. Winning/Losing in a shootout seemed wrong.  How about the goaltending in the OT and shootout it was spectacular .

I have to say that the iihf's web site stinks.  Just saying.  OK, now that I got that off my chest, really good to see how our prospects did.  There's a great future here!

The championship game was amazing, but I have to agree, why not settle it with some kind of game play? Did they have to make their bed times? At least USA was pressing more in OT, and didn't steal an undeserved stolen win, but yeah, at least go to 4 on 4 or something.

So, phenomenal championship game and overall good tourney. To me, though, it's mostly about the Cane's prospects still, so here's my take on them:

Overall outstanding. I continue to have very high hopes for all 4 of these guys. They are definitely the cream of our under 20 crop, and it is a good crop. I would say Roy is the guy who's stock jumped the most, but that is because I already have sky high hopes for Gauthier and Bean.

Kuokkanen: 1 point in 6 games. Did not notice him much. He made some nice plays, but was a 4th liner with little to no PP time on a team that generated very little overall. He was, however, the youngest forward on the team. In fact the Finns only carried 3 forwards with 1998 birthdays, so on the young half, and will probably be back stronger next year. He did not look out of place on this stage, but the tournament did not showcase him either. I remain very high on him, but mainly because he made the team on the young half, and because of how he looked in Traverse City, and Camp.

Bean: The thing that most struck me was his poise. He ate minutes in key situations and mostly handled the responsibility very well. He did not produce a ton of offense, but only a few D men did (only 10 had 4 or more points). Again, it is worth noting that he is also on the 98 bithday young end of the spectrum here. He made one really sweet offensive move last night. It didn't convert, but if it did it would have been highlight stuff. Again, just making team Canada on the back end at 18 speaks volumes. But playing in key situations and lots of minutes says even more.

Both Bean and Kouokkanen are eligible to play next year too.

Roy: Roy looks and plays like a big man. There is nothing wrong with that, but it can make the skill level more deceptive. He has the skill. He also produced. He had a key goal last night, and ended up with 3 goals, 1 assist in 7 games. But he was around more assists. His passes are quick and mostly on target. He has an NHL shot, but I could see him racking up assists with those quick passes around the net. He was out there at the end of the game last night and in big situations. He was called out as the best player for what is expected of him on the team, by one announcer.  Again, for this 4th rounder to make Team Canada is something. For him to play in key situations repeatedly and produce is even better.

Gauthier: Gauthier by no means plays small. But there is a smooth skill to his game that is different than Roy's game. If he keeps developing, this guy really could be a Rick Nash type player. Gauthier came on as the tourney went on. In early games he got his line rolled out regularly, but far less PP time, and it seemed less ice time overall. But as games went on, he was clearly making things happen, seemed to be out there more, and more PP time. He and Roy were out there in the final minute of the Championship game. Gauthier ended up with 5 goals and 7 points in 7 games. #4 in goals for the tourney. Gauthier is clearly working on passing in juniors this year, but his meal ticket will be putting the puck in the net. My hopes for him are sky high. I think last year's NHL draft class will be full of good forwards, but when they end up re drafting that year in few years, Gauthier will be much higher than 21, IMO.

All in all from a predicting the future point of view, the three Canadians are going to be NHL players and that is just reinforced by this tourney. Kuokkanen, did not really push his stock up in this one, but is still a very good prospect.

Edited by remkin

its so nice having this many high level prospects for once and roy in the 4th is looking like the steal of a life time! i don't think he will be more of a steal than slavin tho who is arguably our best player!

if roy and gauthier both pan out we will be huge up front for once!!! we have always have the 5-11 forwards. imagine stall roy and gauthier on the same top 9!