The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

The In-Season Talk topic was inadvertently deleted. I will try and restore it but until then like the Canes it is a brand new start after the holiday break. Post away

Let me second that Top. Just re-watched Scrooged, very good movie.

Since it starts tomorrow, just want to put a plug in for the IHFF World Junior Tournament.

We have our most elite under 20 prospects in this tourney and it is televised on NHL network. This is a great chance to see our top 4 under 20 prospects in action and actually be able to see the action.

We have 3 guys in  action for the hardest team to make Team Canada: Bean, Gauthier. and Roy, and for Team Finland, Kuokannen.

A bunch of info and discussion here: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23818-2017-iihf-world-junior-tourney/

Merry Christmas, all!

On the hockey front, I was looking at TheHockeyNews scouting report for Finland and the byline reads:

"With the likes of Laine and Aho gone, the defending champs will rely on youth for scoring."

The fact that it reads "Laine and Aho" instead of "Laine and Puljujarve" says a lot. :D

Edited by LakeLivin

Here's hoping that everyone's Christmas was joyful, and that we get plenty of W's starting with tomorrow night. I had a pre-Christmas present that I wanted to share with all, learned my name was drawn to be in the Player Welcome Tunnel FRIDAY!!! Anyone on here had that experience? Allowed to take photos of players only(ie, no autographs or individual photos with a player). 1st thing I've won, and I'm stoked.

Back to something I've inquired about before. Anyone have any news on Bryan Bickell? I've kept him in my prayers and hope he is progressing.

• Like 1

Looking much more briefly at the playoff picture, I realize that the current system should have been tweaked. This year is the best example of that. The Canes are disadvantaged by a few things. 1. The East has two more teams that the West. (Say Columbus was in the West for instance). 2. The East is better than the West this year. 3. The Metro is much better than the Atlantic.

As it stands the Canes are #14 in point/percentage. That is, points adjusted for games played. In a perfect system where 16 teams get in, the Canes should be in assuming they get a couple of points in their games in hand.

The easiest fix, though, is the division fix. Give the auto bids to the first TWO teams in the division, and then have 4 Wild Card teams. What is so special about the third place team in a division? Especially if they aren't even good enough to get the #8 Wlid Card Slot?

This would allow some import of division play (the 4 division teams could be the home teams in round one), but almost assure that no team gets in with a significantly worse record than teams that missed out.

Anyway, looking at the playoff picture under current rules, we are actually not in terrible position. Since we win 1.12 points per game, a reasonable adjustment for games in hand is one point per game. Of course, we could go 3-0 or 0-3, but there has to be some sort of adjustment.

Fortunately, all of the teams behind us are either even, or had played more games, so we can look ahead for the moment.

We are 7 points behind Philly, but with 3 games in hand (BTW, I'm pretty sure these are home games in hand, where we have a much better than 3 points likely). But assuming we win on average 1 ppg, that puts us 4 points out as we sit.

Now we also have to fight back two of Boston, Florida, Ottawa and Tampa depending on who grabs those last Atlantic spots and challenges for a Wild Card.

The #3 slot in the Metro is not unattainable, but the NYR and the Caps would have to drop back. Just doesn't seem likely.

So our best bet is to close on the top 3 closest, and Philly is the closest.

Factoring games in hand:

Boston: even*

Philly 4 points

Ottawa 5 points*

NYR 7 points

Caps: 8 points

Pitts: 10 points

So we catch Philly for the last spot.

I think we can do it. Our current place in the standings is with:

1. A bad start still adding into our numbers.

2. Uneven road vs. home games.

3. More difficult than average competition.

4. Team improving, on the rise.

5. All West Coast trips done. Long road trips done.

Of course it still depends on us playing well, but our schedule is better in front of us overall, and the team is improving and hotter than our place in the standings would indicate.

* Atlantic Division. Boston is in with a worse point percentage due to weak Atlantic. BUT if Boston falters (and or Ottawa), it would open up a slot for, say Tampa (and or Florida) if and when they get their game back. This would still leave that last WC slot open.

My vision of our best path is that Boston and Philly fall back a bit, and we and Tampa pick our games up. Tampa takes an Atlantic slot from Boston, and we get the last Wild Card spot.

Edited by remkin

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

The easiest fix, though, is the division fix. Give the auto bids to the first TWO teams in the division, and then have 4 Wild Card teams. What is so special about the third place team in a division? Especially if they aren't even good enough to get the #8 Wlid Card Slot

There's a fine line to tread here, of course. You could, of course, just take the eight teams with the highest point totals, but then there's the remote possibility that one division is so lousy that none of their teams make the playoffs.  Since no team chose the division they're in, that would be perceived as a hardship - "it's not our fault we're the best team in the worst division!"

Realistically, there probably wouldn't often be a difference between top-two v. top-three from each division. I do like the idea of having the four "automatic qualifiers" being home teams in the first round, though.

But what is the advantage to having three division teams get in? Using the logic in reverse you could just take the top 4 teams in each division and have no wild cards. That would almost assure worse teams getting in over better ones though.

It hasn't happened yet, but the current system has only been in place for 3 years before this year. It doesn't happen until it happens. If they took the top two teams in each division it would probably never happen. If the season ended today, Boston would take the last spot from us even though we have a better record.

Something to ponder anyways.

I guess people now think this system fosters more importance on division games which could lead to desirable rivalries. But they don't really. True rivalries are typically built in the playoffs, not who comes in 2nd vs. 3rd in a division.

Just hate to see a team out perform another and still miss the playoffs in their place. Especially if that team has a long drought and really needs a playoff appearance.

Edited by remkin

I can't say exactly why or how, but one of two things will happen: the East will come back to earth over the remainder of the season, or it will collapse in the playoffs.

It is unrealistic to think this torrid pace can continue across the number of teams now setting it; it is literally in the realm of anomaly, and the pendulum always swings back. If I'm BP and the rest of the brain trust, I'm right where I want to be at this stage of the plan: system fully operational, team coming together as a group, everybody healthy, depth guys who know the system and can step in if necessary--and the resources to make a move if the right one is there, or (heaven forbid) the unforeseen occurs.

BEAT PITTSBURGH--WITH A BASEBALL BAT!!

If we were in the playoff picture right now there wouldn't be any discussions about moving us to the West or changing the current playoff structure. How about we just keep winning and get into the playoffs via the existing playoff format? 

CBJ and Philly both had 8-10 game winning streaks to climb from mediocrity to solid playoff position. I think the Rags had a similar streak. We are on a 3 game winning streak now, so add 5 to 7 more and I think we would be sitting in a playoff spot when the second half of the season starts. If Cam holds up under the workload he is getting, I think we have the potential to make this happen. Throw out the West coast start (1-3-2 in 6 games) and we are 14-8-5 since. This would project to 99 points for the season. Of course, we need a little extra bump to make up for the slow start in those 1st six games, but I think we can do that given that the early schedule was unfavorable and the remaining schedule is heavy with home games. I still see the Pens and Caps as the real deal, but see the Flyers and Jackets coming back to earth as the season goes on. Not sure about NYR.

For anyone else who might have missed the announcement:

The Carolina Hurricanes will again be without defenseman Justin Faulk, who is week-to-week with a lower-body injury.

Faulk suffered the injury in the second-half of the Hurricanes' 3-2 win over the Boston Bruins on Friday, head coach Bill Peters said. Faulk played the entirety of that game but did not skate with the team in their return to the ice on Tuesday following the three-day holiday break.

With Faulk sidelined, Ryan Murphy will draw back into the Hurricanes' lineup. Murphy has skated in four games with the Hurricanes this season having last played on Nov. 10 against Anaheim. The 23-year-old defenseman completed a two-week conditioning stint with the Checkers in late November, playing in seven games with the Hurricanes' American Hockey League affiliate.

Murphy will directly slot in for Faulk, pairing with Ron Hainsey in Pittsburgh while the other two defensive duos remain consistent.

"He has a similar skillset in a puck-moving D," Peters said. "This is a great opportunity. Watched the NFL last night, and they're talking about injuries providing people with opportunities. Quarterback in Dallas took advantage of an opportunity due to an injury, and now a similar situation only a different sport."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's that for an optimistic perspective?  Instead of pointing out that we have to slot Murphy into our 2nd pair, Peters suggests that Murphy could become the Dak Prescott of this NHL season. :P

But seriously, week to week instead of game to game?  Not good . . .

For all the controversy about Faulk, the guy's shots were starting to drop, so it's a bummer, and he's better than Murphy.

Hopefully Murphy takes advantage of this opportunity.

Lower body, week to week, ankle sprain, maybe high ankle?

Just found out about the injury.   Ruined my day.  

Murphy .. SMH there has to be someone better in CLT we can bring up.... I was thinking we could win Wednesday.. but not now.    

This is terrible news.

:boarding:

On a positive note I have really enjoyed watching Lindholm lately and him and Jordan really dominate when they are out there together.  ... still man.. I thought we had seen the last of Murphy. Of course hoping he proves me wrong. 

Edited by caryhurricanes

I was hoping we were done with his shenanigans. Not sure I can watch the Pitt game now,to painful when I see Murphy in the lineup. Did we shoot Dahlbeck? He is better  than Murphy even on his off side than if he is on his off side. 3 points in nine games wasn't to shabby and he can be physical when needed.

Hey crew, just wanted to chime in and hope everyone had a great Christmas.  I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy time with family, friends, and some type of alcoholic beverage(s).  Ready to get grinding vs Pittsburgh! No mercy!