The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Man, I wish there was a way to balance our schedule the rest of the way.  During the rest of Jan and Feb we've got breaks of 3, 4, and 5 days off.  In March we never get 2 days off in a row and have 4 back-to-backs.  Anybody think the "bye week" the players negotiated might have been a mistake? 

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Anybody think the "bye week" the players negotiated might have been a mistake? 

I do. I'm sure it is nice to have a little recovery time in the middle of a season but I think it can be a momentum killer. We will find out.

6 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Nedeljkovic called up, Leighton sent to Charlotte, btw.

I wonder where Leighton was regarding the time he could stay here on emergency call up before he'd need to hit waivers when he went back down?

Or, perhaps the brass wants Leighton to get ice time in Charlotte to stay sharp in case we do need him to hit the ice for the Canes.

Edited by LakeLivin

A little curious. I wonder if Lack is very close to coming back and the team wanted Ned to get a taste of the NHL. When Peters was asked if Lack would need a conditioning stint in Charlotte he was noncommittal. Is something else brewing? I guess I could play the what if game all night. Two things are certain, our goalie situation is still unsettled but no longer involves who is our go to guy.

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Or, perhaps the brass wants Leighton to get ice time in Charlotte to stay sharp in case we do need him to hit the ice for the Canes.

Yup, this would give him game action before the weekend back-to-back. Lack is still on IR, although he skated today. My understanding is that emergency call-ups are open-ended, i.e., no waiver clearance required for the emergency call-up and no limit to their duration (number of games). That said, one must also wonder if Lack is perhaps getting close.

I just looked it up.  According to Wikipedia:

Starting with the 2013 CBA, for a player on emergency recall from the AHL, playing 10 or more NHL games while on emergency recall will automatically convert the recall to a regular recall.

Don't know how long Leighton was up here manning the door, but given that McElheney was snatched off I waivers I'd bet that RF doesn't want take a chance on exposing Leighton.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

After attending 2 games and then no Canes hockey for 2 days, is it possible to suffer from severe withdrawal symptoms? If so, is an intervention needed??

Just wait until the bye week. We will all need group therapy.:Aarrg:

Bye Week: Carolina Hurricanes: February 12-16

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I just looked it up.  According to Wikipedia:

Starting with the 2013 CBA, for a player on emergency recall from the AHL, playing 10 or more NHL games while on emergency recall will automatically convert the recall to a regular recall.

Don't know how long Leighton was up here manning the door, but given that McElheney was snatched off I waivers I'd bet that RF doesn't want take a chance on exposing Leighton.

Thanks Lake. I'd swore I'd seen somewhere that emergency call-ups are not subject to that rule, but it must have been a pre-2013 source. (To anybody wanting to make a boatload of money, create a program that automatically wipes the Internet of all legal documents and references to same, when new agreements have been consummated which supersede them.)

Clearly it's by-the-emergency, not cumulative, i.e., Lack's re-concussion was treated as a separate incident.

This means one of four things, which I list from most to least likely:

- Lack is expected to be ready this week. 

- Lack will be taken off IR and "re-concussed." :P

- A trade involving a backup we feel better about (Varlamov?) is imminent.:D

- We want a look at Neids in an NHL game. :blink: :o :facepalm2:

Edited by top-shelf-1

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Just wait until the bye week. We will all need group therapy.:Aarrg:

I nearly went crazy (well... crazier) after the compressor failure. 

• Like 1

I'd just add two points to the riding Cam like a rented mule thing.

The injury question aside, the conventional wisdom on not riding one goalie too hard in the regular season is that he might be more likely to give out in the playoffs. While I don't know how actually true that contention is, for us that is not a big concern. We are the pentultimate truly happy to be here team if we make it.

This team just needs to get in, Even an early exit is a step forward.

So we ride! Ward.

It appears that Francis does not see and easy solution to backup out there, so Leights is the Emergency and Lack is still the back up. Lack would really seem to need a conditioning stint in Charlotte though.

I agree that Jan 21 in Columbus is the perfect back up game. Pretty much toss that one out, though you never know, but take the loss if it happens.

I must say, yet again, that I think Lindholm and McGinn have found a new level. No, they are not going to put up multiple points every night, but I think this type of game is here to stay from them, and Jordan. I predict big things from that line. And since it has been such a very long, and mostly lonely time coming on m'boy McGinn, full congrats to him and I must break out this emoticon: :patself:. I actually requested that thing a long while ago but never used it.

Also, since I am increasingly thinking that we have the horses up front to at least get in the playoffs, I do agree that we need to figure something out on back up goalie. I do think it will end up being Lack though.

Lastly, the bye week should be a great thing, but this team did not come out of the holiday break very well, so hopefully that was not an indicator of future trouble getting back to their game after time off. We don't need to be dropping a home game against the hapless Avs due to rust.

Edited by remkin

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This means one of four things, which I list from most to least likely:

- Lack is expected to be ready this week. 

- Lack will be taken off IR and "re-concussed." :P

- A trade involving a backup we feel better about (Varlamov?) is imminent.:D

- We want a look at Neids in an NHL game. :blink: :o :facepalm2:

It's amazing how much clarity emoticons can add to a post, lol.  :thumbsup:

I took a look at Varlamov when trade rumors with the Avs first surfaced. He's making $5.9m/per for the next 2.5 years, and he's not having a particularly good season.  Seems like Sakic would have to retain almost half his salary in order for there to be any real interest from the Canes.

Edited by LakeLivin

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'd just add two points to the riding Cam like a rented mule thing.

The injury question aside, the conventional wisdom on not riding one goalie too hard in the regular season is that he might be more likely to give out in the playoffs. While I don't know how actually true that contention is, for us that is not a big concern. We are the pentultimate truly happy to be here team if we make it.

This team just needs to get in, Even an early exit is a step forward.

So we ride! Ward.

. . .

I must say, yet again, that I think Lindholm and McGinn have found a new level. No, they are not going to put up multiple points every night, but I think this type of game is here to stay from them, and Jordan. I predict big things from that line. And since it has been such a very long, and mostly lonely time coming on m'boy McGinn, full congrats to him and I must break out this emoticon: :patself:. I actually requested that thing a long while ago but never used it.

. . .

I don't have a problem with how we've played Ward so far given the game spacing.  But March will be a completely different story.  Expecting him to pick up most of those games would be irresponsible to the point of inviting catastrophe, imo.  My biggest issue with Lack as backup is the concussion issue.  How comfortable can we be that it doesn't recur?  And if it does, after the trade deadline, we've defaulted back to Leighton.  In which case I want to know what we can reasonably expect from him at the NHL level at this point in his career before we actually need it. 

I'm very happy for McGinn but I'm not quite ready to etch his name in stone quite yet.  It seems like a lot of his scoring comes from putting himself in the right place at the right time.  Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of value in that, but I wonder if it might not translate as easily against some of the better teams as compared to the Isles and Slugs.  Or if we've just seen a particularly hot streak that might not be representative (we've been burned by that a lot).  I do like the energy and physicality he brings, just not ready to commit a permanent 2nd or 3rd line spot to him until I see him over a longer period of time.  I am guardedly optimistic, though.

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

It's amazing how much clarity emoticons can add to a post, lol.  :thumbsup:

I took a look at Varlamov when trade rumors with the Avs first surfaced. He's making $5.9m/per for the next 2.5 years, and he's not having a particularly good season.  Seems like Sakic would have to retain almost half his salary in order for there to be any real interest from the Canes.

His contract has negative value at this point. Might be something Francis uses as leverage to lower the price of a forward he is targeting?

If Lack can't go or can't recover this season I'm comfortable with leights.  I don't think we shop in-season for a backup. Maybe we go after a goalie prospect for Charlotte but Leights can cover us in Raleigh IMO

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm very happy for McGinn but I'm not quite ready to etch his name in stone quite yet.  It seems like a lot of his scoring comes from putting himself in the right place at the right time.  Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of value in that, but I wonder if it might not translate as easily against some of the better teams as compared to the Isles and Slugs.  Or if we've just seen a particularly hot streak that might not be representative (we've been burned by that a lot).  I do like the energy and physicality he brings, just not ready to commit a permanent 2nd or 3rd line spot to him until I see him over a longer period of time.  I am guardedly optimistic, though.

I think it is absolutely fair to be skeptical that McGinn will keep producing. I'm sure I'm overly enthusiastic in part because I've been holding out for him for a long time now and he's kind of m'boy that way. Also, he's obviously not going to drop back from 3 points in one night. But he really has the skill to be a producer. Maybe not a 70 point guy, but say a 40 point guy. In a lot of ways I think of Rask who just kept getting better and better, and suddenly there was offense, then more of it.

I see McGinn following that same path. Those were two skilled passes last game and he gets to the net and does the little things.

I don't thin McGinn is going to be an elite player. But he really could be one of those gritty guys who plays an NHL game all over the ice, but produces more than say Pat Dwyer. I see McGinn as a really good third liner. But a really good one, and a guy who could make a nice long living that way.

Edited by remkin

I really am rooting for Lack. He has put up some solid performances for us, mainly last year. I want to see what he can do after this bout. I know the timing in which we're fihting for a playoff spot is not the time for experimenting, but I hope he can get some reps.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

My guess is since there is no way that Ward doesn't get the start, Leighton needs some work and Neds needs to learn the bench door job.

Giving Leighton a chance to shake off the rust before the AHL All-Star game?

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think it is absolutely fair to be skeptical that McGinn will keep producing. I'm sure I'm overly enthusiastic in part because I've been holding out for him for a long time now and he's kind of m'boy that way. Also, he's obviously not going to drop back from 3 points in one night. But he really has the skill to be a producer. Maybe not a 70 point guy, but say a 40 point guy. In a lot of ways I think of Rask who just kept getting better and better, and suddenly there was offense, then more of it.

I don't thin McGinn is going to be an elite player. But he really could be one of those gritty guys who plays an NHL game all over the ice, but produces more than say Pat Dwyer. I see McGinn as a really good third liner. But a really good one, and a guy who could make a nice long living that way.

I don't know that I'd even go so far as to say I'm skeptical, that's a bit harsher than my intent.  McGinn was scoring well in Charlotte, which is a nice sign.  I just need to see more, especially since I haven't noticed much scoring from him other than net front. Which is awesome if he can keep it up!  But it seems like I recall Rask always having a bit of a sniper in him with his wrist shot.  These are all just vague impressions, not anything I'd swear to.

edit: I think coastal's post about playing with Staal, in conjunction with my first post on McGinn, even better explains why I'd like to see a bit more from him before I'm comfortable writing him in as a long term answer.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't know that I'd even go so far as to say I'm skeptical, that's a bit harsher than my intent.  McGinn was scoring well in Charlotte, which is a nice sign.  I just need to see more, especially since I haven't noticed much scoring from him other than net front. Which is awesome if he can keep it up!  But it seems like I recall Rask always having a bit of a sniper in him with his wrist shot.  These are all just vague impressions, not anything I'd swear to.

I think Rask probably does have a better shot. But Rask is a 55 point guy possibly moving up from there.

I don't see McGinn doing that. But a 35-40 point third line winger is very good.

I also agree he benefits from playing with Jordan.

But to my eye, which could very well be off, he's really looked like he has gotten the confidence to move from up from the Bowman type guy to someone who contributes points. Time will tell. Just my opinion.

Edited by remkin