The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Not in my mind. I think false charges are almost as big a crime as the original accusation.  But it seems like something like that usually leaves a bit of residual stain, regardless of how undeserved.  Like I said, I don't see it as being a dealbreaker, just a small piece that goes with the rest.

Maybe that would work for Varley.  But it comes with him going from #1 to backup, in a sense moving back to where he was 6 years ago in his career.  How much are athletes at that level driven by money and how much by pride?  And there's still a pretty big "might" in the statement.  It's not like he'd be coming to Washington or Pittsburgh.

Points taken, but just FYI, Pickard appears to be the guy in Denver now. Though he's played 23 total, Varlamov has played in only 3 of their last 10, dating to Dec 22. That has "change of scene" written all over it IMO, and if our plan was that Lack would share the load with and eventually replace Cam, Varlamov seems like a much better option, who has seen a lot more NHL rubber. And neither Wash nor Pitt needs a goalie.

Edited by top-shelf-1

A couple of interesting thoughts on  the Canes from this article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canadian-team-land-kevin-shattenkirk/

22. Good line on the Hurricanes from another coach: “If there was an advanced stat for percentage of times a player is exactly where he’s supposed to be, they’d lead. Smart team.”

Carolina is on a huge run, making a charge at the playoffs in the league’s toughest division. GM Ron Francis and head coach Bill Peters received extensions last summer, but another NHL exec was saying that most of the other coaches and staff there are all up after this season. That’s a surprise, considering how well things are moving. But with Peter Karmanos’s murky ownership future, maybe that’s the issue.

23. As of Wednesday, the Hurricanes have played 44 games. Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer did preliminary work on this, but by my count, they’ve faced the opposing team’s backup 20 times. Since Dec. 23, for example, they faced Boston and Chicago twice each. They never saw Corey Crawford or Tuukka Rask, grabbing six out of eight points. The last two games, however, saw them get Thomas Greiss (who is New York’s number one now) and Sergei Bobrovsky. Curious to see if this continues now that Carolina is on the cusp of the post-season.

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

C2eUniMWgAA4ayq.jpg:largeHats now available in the eye.

Dammit!!! I was just at The Eye this past Saturday night!! I guess more reason to drive down to RaleighWood again for the Pens game...

Leights is back

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled goaltender Michael Leighton from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). The team also reassigned goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic to Charlotte.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Leights is back

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled goaltender Michael Leighton from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). The team also reassigned goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic to Charlotte.

Glad Ned got NHL action (although not that it came about the way it did).  Not quite the story Alves was, but still has to be quite a thrill for the kid.  And in front of his parents, no less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Leights is back

Speaking of never reading the facebook page, you'd swear we were sending down reigning Vezina winner and 3 time Stanley Cup winning Alex Nedelijkovic according to those folks. 

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Glad Ned got NHL action (although not that it came about the way it did).  Not quite the story Alves was, but still has to be quite a thrill for the kid.  And in front of his parents, no less.

Yeah and to not get scored on! Good effort.

Important time for a young team.  After a good streak, they have convincingly lost twice to 2 of the best teams in the Eastern conference.  Do they lose confidence and allow the 2 losses tell them they are not good enough this year?  Do they have the experience to turn it around through this tough patch in the schedule? 

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Aho now has 12 goals and 25 total points. Not bad for a rookie with just under half a season to play.  He looks like he has found his NHL game. I'm not saying he isn't still learning but only that he appears he is comfortable and confident of his ability to play in the big show.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Aho now has 12 goals and 25 total points. Not bad for a rookie with just under half a season to play.  He looks like he has found his NHL game. I'm not saying he isn't still learning but only that he appears he is comfortable and confident of his ability to play in the big show.

Yeah, he's everything he was hyped to be. He is the #3 rookie in goals now, on a 21 goal pace at 19 years old. He's also on a 45 point pace, but since he's getting better, 50 points is very possible. This is a future star, already a dangerous forward. Also he just seems so natural, it is hard to see any kind of sophomore slump or step back. Amazing second round pick.

Edited by remkin

One thing that has pleasantly surprised me about Aho is how often he comes away with the puck when he's in a battle against a much bigger, more experienced opponent.  I'm not saying he wins every battle, but at his size I'd expect him to lose most, and he doesn't.  Barring injury, the kid is going to be very good for a very long time.  Thank god the NHL "size-bias" was probably in close to full effect at the time he slipped to #35.  I don't think that would happen today. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

One thing that has pleasantly surprised me about Aho is how often he comes away with the puck when he's in a battle against a much bigger, more experienced opponent.  I'm not saying he wins every battle, but at his size I'd expect him to lose most, and he doesn't.  Barring injury, the kid is going to be very good for a very long time.  Thank god the NHL "size-bias" was probably in close to full effect at the time he slipped to #35.  I don't think that would happen today. 

Teams are starting to target AHO and I hope he continues to be able to avoid any of the direct hits attempted. I was always amazed how Martin St. Louis was always able to avoid any full check. In fact it drove me nuts that we could never get a body on him.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

One other comparison I think we can make as regards to "at his size I'd expect him to lose most", Lake, is look to our round #1 flop, Murphy. He does come away much less frequently with the puck!!

• Like 1

Its a good combination of points slap and Kjun: Aho seems to avoid the big hit (as does Murphy) but unlike Murphy, Aho manages to do so while winning puck battles.

Flu

Anyone know how bad it has gone through the team, if at all?  I know that both Pesce and Hainsey were "outted" for having it.  We played a few teams when they had it (Columbus #1).  Yesterday's football blowouts were also indicative of this year's illness which is hitting sports teams hard.

I'm hoping that the last few games were partially due to this and it is now out of the system. 

Here's the issue imo.  Fleury is a left shot, so you've got 3 likely options:

1. Play him in place of Hanifin (I don't see that for more than 1 game)
  2. Play him with Hanifin but on his offside (no way to introduce a kid to the NHL)
  3. Play him with Hanifin but Hanifin playing on his offside (Hanifin hasn't exactly been overwhelming even on his natural side)

Otherwise, Fleury is just sitting in the pressbox, and I'd rather have him playing in Charlotte.  Now, if BP is going to sit Hanifin again, I wouldn't mind seeing him bringing up Fleury for a game. But would that require sending someone else down, and maybe exposed to waivers? (not sure how many players we're currently carrying)

Edited by LakeLivin

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Here's the issue imo.  Fleury is a left shot, so you've got 3 likely options:

1. Play him in place of Hanifin (I don't see that for more than 1 game)
  2. Play him with Hanifin but on his offside (no way to introduce a kid to the NHL)
  3. Play him with Hanifin but Hanifin playing on his offside (Hanifin hasn't exactly been overwhelming even on his natural side)

Otherwise, Fleury is just sitting in the pressbox, and I'd rather have him playing in Charlotte.  Now, if BP is going to sit Hanifin again, I wouldn't mind seeing him bringing up Fleury for a game. But would that require sending someone else down, and maybe exposed to waivers? (not sure how many players we're currently carrying)

All good points Lake, I would of though preferred to have seen Fleury over Murphy paired with Dahlbeck even if it was just for one game to further send a message. Fleury has deserved to get a taste. Murphy has proven nothing.. I have supported Dahlbeck all season as he has played a fairly steady game and is a -2 for 11 games with 3 points. He isn't flashy but plays a fairly steady game.

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Interesting take on giving Fleury a peek. I have stated all year that I don't want to see Murphy anymore, I wouldn't mind seeing Fleury to check on his progression.

http://cardiaccane.com/2017/01/23/carolina-hurricanes-need-give-haydn-fleury-call/

As you probably know I've been hoping to get an update on Fleury for a little while now, so first off, good to get at least one take on his progress. Most of the article is stats and the theoretical idea of jolting the team, but he does include this line;

Most impressively, he has been arguably Charlotte’s most complete defender, contributing on both ends of the ice.

If that is true, it is good news indeed. I look at Fleury at this moment as the most immediate and obvious long term replacement for Hanifin if we trade Hanifin. In that sense, it might be interesting to see how he looks up here if we are even close to trading Hanifin.

As to shocking the troops and giving Fleury a taste? I don't see it. Benching Hanfin for a game or two will have the shake up effect. As a LHD, there is also Slavin and Hainsey, so Fluery would have to either replace Hanifin, or one of them play on their off side (as Lake pointed out). It will also put a tremendous pressure on Fleury to jump into a playoff race and push someone else off the ice? And possibly on his off side? If Fleury struggles and it costs us a game it could set Fleury back. And if Fluery is so much better than Hanfin, he'd be pushing hard from Charlotte, rather than being solid.

Really doesn't make sense. No.

Edited by remkin

3 hours ago, remkin said:

As to shocking the troops and giving Fleury a taste? I don't see it. Benching Hanfin for a game or two will have the shake up effect. As a LHD, there is also Slavin and Hainsey, so Fluery would have to either replace Hanifin, or one of them play on their off side (as Lake pointed out). It will also put a tremendous pressure on Fleury to jump into a playoff race and push someone else off the ice? And possibly on his off side? If Fleury struggles and it costs us a game it could set Fleury back. And if Fluery is so much better than Hanfin, he'd be pushing hard from Charlotte, rather than being solid.

Really doesn't make sense. No.

I think you missed my point. If Hanifan and Tennyson were benched and replaced with Murphy and Dahlbeck, I would of preferred seeing Fleury over Murphy. Dahlbeck has played either side so Fleury could play his natural side. I wasn't suggesting Fleury replace Hanifan. The message from BP should of been Hanifan/Tenny you need to sit and guess what you to Murph since you have not played to the expected level. I'll take Fleury over Murphy anytime even if it was just for one game.