The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

33 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

This may be Murphy's fifth last chance.

On the bright side, the "Faulk sucks" squad should be happy.

Our next poll, does Faulk still suck if your other option is Murphy?

6 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

5 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Our next poll, does Faulk still suck if your other option is Murphy?

Is there really a "Faulk sucks" squad? :huh:  Or are you counting anyone who would dare point out Faulk's shortcomings, or believe that a Faulk-for-an-elite-young-forward trade would benefit the Canes, as belonging?  Maybe 1 member here jumps out at me as perhaps fitting a "Faulk sucks" description.  I don't know of anyone else who thinks we'd be better off without Faulk.  Rather, some have come to the opinion that adding another elite 1st line forward would more than make up the loss of Faulk. 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

I do not understand the mindset of continual insanity..the definition we all know  Murphy stinks defensively, he gets beat in the corners, beat in front of the net and his offensive side just isn't that good...let the losing begin, I predict he will be at least a minus 2 at Pittsburgh...I got chastised early in the year when I said his resigning was the worst move Ron made I still stand by that...fortunately for Ron it is the worst move, he has made very few I have not liked, but this kid needs a new start and for all you people saying its to protect others..what idiot in Las Vegas would take murphy?  And why on god's green earth ruin a whole season just to protect against a draft?   In his last game he was on the ice for 3 shifts 3 goals...nice.

As we inch closer and closer to the expansion draft, it'll be interesting to see how we address either: having Murphy attain the required number of games played (really don't want him hurting the team collectively), or signing Dahlbeck to an extension (assuming he's willing).

Edited by ThrashCanes

4 minutes ago, ThrashCanes said:

As we inch closer and closer to the expansion draft, it'll be interesting to see how we address either: having Murphy attain the required number of games played (really don't want him hurting the team collectively), or signing Dahlbeck to an extension (assuming he's willing).

Or trading for an expansion draft eligible d-man.

I totally didn't see what happened to Faulk.  Sucks 'cause he's definitely been turning it on offensively lately with 9 points in the past 8 games.  If Murphy's ever going to prove himself, now would be a really good time.

Holy crap, there's a game tonight?  I've almost forgotten what it's like to watch a hockey game...

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Or trading for an expansion draft eligible d-man.

Fair point, but Dahlbeck seems like the best option for the Canes, in my opinion. His contract is currently $750k, so I don't see a raise over $250k to a new contract of $1MM even happening. Not to mention he's already attained the requried number of games played to be expansion draft eligible...

I choose to believe that BP would not be putting Murphy in without some assurance from Ulf and his team that he finally grasped and began playing the system on his last stint there. That said, he may be slotting with Hainsey, but that doesn't mean they'll be playing second-, let alone first-pair minutes. After all, Faulk/Hainsey, despite being listed by the PR department as the "top pair" in pre-game lineups, isn't our shut-down pairing, and we all know it. Murphy used judiciously on the PP and with third-pairing minutes might work.

We're about to find out, hopefully once (uh, fifth...) and for all.

I don't think there's a "Faulk sucks" group as much as a "Faulk's D play has sucked since his return from injury" group. Without the terrific (and I say that without qualification) offensive contributions he is capable of to offset it - and which he was beginning to make again - Justin's D game has been a liability. With them it's a whole different story, and we've seen it over the past five or so games.

Nobody's ever accused Murphy of being any better on the D side, let alone of bringing what Justin can on the O side. But at least one of us thinks McKeown is on speed dial if Murphy's game hasn't at last taken the step it must for him to justify the opportunity he is getting tonight. Given our opponent, we're going to find out pretty darn quick whether it has.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Good lord folks, don't you understand "light hearted" comments from time to time? 

There definitely is a general odor around here at times (from some at least) about supposed Faulk's suck-i-tude.  No need to get snippy and splitting hairs that "we're just pointing out his defensive lapses". 

15 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Good lord folks, don't you understand "light hearted" comments from time to time? 

There definitely is a general odor around here at times (from some at least) about supposed Faulk's suck-i-tude.  No need to get snippy and splitting hairs that "we're just pointing out his defensive lapses". 

You re not crazy though I remember when he was the leading scorer on power play in the league last year and some here wanted to trade him.  They may deny it but it happened ? 

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I choose to believe that BP would not be putting Murphy in without some assurance from Ulf and his team that he finally grasped and began playing the system on his last stint there.

Murphy has one assist in seven games in Charlotte and is a -4. In Raleigh he has 1 assist in 4 games and is -6. A total of 2 assists in 11 games and a -10. I don't think there was any Festivus miracle in Charlotte during his last stint and I am really scratching my head on this latest "one last chance" move. I would prefer Dahlbeck as he has proven to not be a liability. Dahlbeck has one goal and two assists in 9 games and is even in the +/- category. I have been very opinionated about Murphy for the last two years and yes I put him in the "suck" or "deplorable" to be politically correct:P category.

In regards to Faulk. IMO he either came into camp out of shape or had a lingering injury early on. He did not have any upper body strength and had difficulties even clearing a puck. His blind passes have been a liability and has just started to play his game over the last 5 game stretch. Faulk's D has been a liability but continues to get better. There was a very strong odor around his game but he has never reached the Murphy "Suck/Deplorable" status. Ryan will look great in his new uniform if Vegas so chooses. golden-knights-112216-screeshot-ftr.jpg

What ever you think of Faulk, two things are undeniable:

1. His offense was coming on.

2. He is better than Murphy across the board.

Everyone on here knows that everyone who has entertained the notion of trading Faulk has done it in the context of getting a proven, elite forward back. And the board voted 56% to 29% that they would do just that. So it's not just a few.

Thing is, this is worse, because while we might look up and see Murphy out there either way, with the trade we'd also see Duchenne or similar out there. Here, we just get Murphy for Faulk, and no one would make that trade. There may be a whiff of Faulk sucks if you want to go that far, but there is a full blown mob of Murphy sucks, and not without merit.

I remember when Murphy was drafted. We were told by JR and company that we drafted this tiny defenseman because his offensive skill set was off the charts. I remember the exact word "elite" coming up more than once. I remember hearing that he could already do things (at 18) offensively with the puck that few could do. OK, fine, he's slight and has to work it out in the D zpone. We always knew that would be true. But where is that offensive wizard? Where is that guy creating chances left and right? Still waiting...

Faulk has developed very nice offensive abilities. He is good with the puck offensively and has a very good shot (especially when it starts going in). But he was never that elite skilled offensive dman with the slick skills, but Murphy was supposed to be that. I think it's safe to say that whatever Murphy's upside is, it sure doesn't seem to be what he was drafted mid first round for.

As to the expansion draft, the only thing I'd point out is that fairly strong sources insist that Murphy has been on the market. Since we know that Francis would not expose Faulk, there has to be a pretty firm plan B to Murphy as the guy we expose. I still think Francis wants to trade Murphy eventually, and find some other way to protect Faulk form the expansion draft.

At least if Murphy gets some games in and doesn't pooch it, he may be more tradable.

Lastly, while we will not get a look at the team with a Faulk trade since we don't have that high end piece putting in points up front, we will get a look at the kind of defense we might have sans Faulk. Last year, we got through it pretty well. This year? We shall see. (In fairness, though, one game back in Pittsburgh may not be a fair test for Murphy, but he is going to need to find his game fast because Chicago is up next).

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, caryhurricanes said:

You re not crazy though I remember when he was the leading scorer on power play in the league last year and some here wanted to trade him.  They may deny it but it happened ? 

Read what Rem said above.  I would strongly doubt that anyone who discussed trading Faulk is going to "deny it", because it was never about 'Faulk's a bum, trade his posterior for a bag of pucks' - it was always about giving up a commodity for what some speculated was a greater need.  Now we can certainly debate whether or not it was a greater need (actually we have, ad nauseum), but your post shows that you never comprehended the point in the first place.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Murphy has one assist in seven games in Charlotte and is a -4. In Raleigh he has 1 assist in 4 games and is -6. A total of 2 assists in 11 games and a -10. I don't think there was any Festivus miracle in Charlotte during his last stint and I am really scratching my head on this latest "one last chance" move. I would prefer Dahlbeck as he has proven to not be a liability. Dahlbeck has one goal and two assists in 9 games and is even in the +/- category. I have been very opinionated about Murphy for the last two years and yes I put him in the "suck" or "deplorable" to be politically correct:P category.

In regards to Faulk. IMO he either came into camp out of shape or had a lingering injury early on. He did not have any upper body strength and had difficulties even clearing a puck. His blind passes have been a liability and has just started to play his game over the last 5 game stretch. Faulk's D has been a liability but continues to get better. There was a very strong odor around his game but he has never reached the Murphy "Suck/Deplorable" status. Ryan will look great in his new uniform if Vegas so chooses. golden-knights-112216-screeshot-ftr.jpg

Also, it's worth nothing that Dahlbeck was an "even" +/- player during our brutal stretch to start the season, too. He hasn't played much at all during November and December, when we've actually be quite competitive.

A few various comments on Faulk from a simple search...

I've not been impressed with Faulk

I'm not a fan of Faulk

I don't even think he's worth the mediocre trade most of us think he is.

But whether injury-related or not, something's clearly not right--and of course if we know that, any prospective trading partner is going to know it, too. 

I don't have a bee in my bonnet regarding Faulk but focusing on his play this year has left me very unimpressed.

Not to beat a dead horse but Faulk was on the ice for every goal against over the past two games

A lot of people will let his defensive liabilities slide because of his offensive prowess, but whether it's realistic or not in today's NHL i'm still a defense-first guy and he's going to have to do a lot of scoring to make up for the defensive snafus.

I've been trying to focus on Faulk the last couple games and he generally seems to be where he's supposed to be on the ice position wise, but what really jumped out to me is his poor puck-handling. Specifically, his ability to receive a pass cleanly or hold pucks in the zone. He has been awful!

I don't know what Faulk's issue is but he cannot clear a puck.

Faulk has become a liability back there

It is getting to the point that Faulk is starting to scare me when he is on the ice.

You guys are probably right.  No "Faulk sucks" squad at all.

I make a little joke, and everybody wants to get all defensive, and Realm, you are the leader of the FSS.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion. We do have an entire How About Now? Would You Trade Justin Faulk? topic HERE  Maybe a better place for the Faulk discussion.

• Like 1

I just saw that the Chex have sent NED down to Florida. Altshuller was recalled from Florida.

Maybe a stint in the ECHL will help Nedeljkovic find his game. He sure has had a rough start in the AHL posting a 3-12-0 record and a 3.44 goals-against average.

With Leights back in Charlotte it gives the Checkers the luxury of sending a goalie down to get more work. I had high hopes for Ned and he is young enough to be able to turn his game around. The Chex have also been challenged scoring and winning games and that doesn't help a young goalie.

21 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Honest question s_d: what in your original post would give us any indication that your comment was meant to be light hearted?  Because to the extent that there might be actual "Faulk sucks" people around here, I'd argue that there are at least as many that still view Faulk as our Golden Boy who can do no wrong. (for the record, I don't think there are many in either of those extreme camps).  But how would anyone know that's not where you were coming from and that you were trying to inject some levity?

I hate to keep adding on to the conversation OBXer, but I've gotta side with Super_Dave.  In addition to all the quotes he dug up, I can also recall various members on this board discrediting Faulk's All Star and Olympic selections.  I don't know people's true intentions I guess on the subject of Faulk, but when you're discrediting his accomplishments and downplaying his value to the team (even if it's to justify trading him away), it can come across as Faulk bashing.

When I look up the word suck this is what I find. There was no reference to Justin Faulk.

suck 
If you suck, it generally means you have no skill and/or talent. 

Oddly enough, even though suck is the opposite of blow, blow is an insult also.
Damn you suck at sports.
Image result for ryan murphy hockey player

Just sayin.

Edited by slapshot02

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Honest question s_d: what in your original post would give us any indication that your comment was meant to be light hearted?  Because to the extent that there might be actual "Faulk sucks" people around here, I'd argue that there are at least as many that still view Faulk as our Golden Boy who can do no wrong. (for the record, I don't think there are many in either of those extreme camps).  But how would anyone know that's not where you were coming from and that you were trying to inject some levity?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

That was light hearted...or was it?

If Justin Faulk falls down and goes boom on the ice and there is nobody in the stands does he make a sound...ouch