The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

I get that Lindholm's miss was poorly timed, but it's a game of inches. Despite his missing by two feet, if that puck is an inch nearer the heel of his stick, it's in the net. Lindholm has a particularly weird curve on his sticks. Tripp talked about it earlier this year. It's a compound curve with a severely hooked tip. The combination of that, the speed he had coming in, and the fact that he was on his backhand left him no margin of error; if the puck drifts to the end of the blade it's going wide, and that's what happened. This isn't an excuse--Lindy chooses to use that twig. But it does explain why he missed so wide, despite how tight he was to the net.

Edited by top-shelf-1

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Winger, I'm not a Cam apologist, and while I haven't seen either game completely, we all know that of any player on the ice, the goalie's game is a reflection of the TOTAL body of work from the team on any given night. Additionally, we have no way to know how long this angst has been brewing between BP and Lack? As top just pointed out, I'm hopeful Peters is using this as a motivational thing than that he's "lost the team" and trust his judgement in this affair.

I just think that given this seasons body of work, Cam needs to be called out also. As far a Lack and Peters, I don't know what has happened, but with the inability to put it aside, Peters has ground Ward into the ground this season even though there hasn't been any improvements in his stats. That did nothing for the improvement of the team.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I get that Lindholm's miss was poorly timed, but it's a game of inches. Despite his missing by two feet, if that puck is an inch nearer the heel of his stick, it's in the net. Lindholm has a particularly weird curve on his sticks. Tripp talked about it earlier this year. It's a compound curve with a severely hooked tip. The combination of that, the speed he had coming in, and the fact that he was on his backhand left him no margin of error; if the puck drifts to the end of the blade it's going wide, and that's what happened. This isn't an excuse--Lindy chooses to use that twig. But it does explain why he missed so wide, despite how tight he was to the net.

top, never having played the sport, and the closest I've ever gotten to a hockey stick is at the auction table, please explain to me, how the "compound curve with severely hooked tip" affect his shot, on a backhand? Seems like there you're only dealing with the back of the blade? I'm not being snarky, I just don't understand.

And winger, "that did nothing for the improvement of the team", I was just going to postulate, over on canescountry, that while many are jumping in to defend a "likeable" personality, is it possible that, rather than be an impetuous, even regrettable catty act, this was a calculated ploy, by Peters to do just what it's doing to this fan base, unite the team to prove the coach is wrong? I mean, there are "bag skates", and other ways to get the team focused. May this be Peters' method?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

top, never having played the sport, and the closest I've ever gotten to a hockey stick is at the auction table, please explain to me, how the "compound curve with severely hooked tip" affect his shot, on a backhand? Seems like there you're only dealing with the back of the blade? I'm not being snarky, I just don't understand.

No worries KJUN, no snark taken!

With a compound curve, in addition to the blade being curved along its length (heel to toe), it is also "formed" from bottom to top, i.e. the sole of the blade is in a different vertical plane than its top. One of the results that came back in my search (in addition to the one about Lindholm using Oshie's curve), was from last year, about Oshie switching to Ovechkin's, which is even more pronounced. Here's Ovie's blade:

Picture-1-550x199.png

(He shoots right, but this graphic shows both right and left so other players can "feel" it visually before placing their order, which helps them rule out blades based on their playing/shooting styles.) The "mid curve" means the curve kicks in about midway along the blade's length. (If a curve is in the middle but closer to the toe, it's called a "mid-toe" curve. Similarly, a "mid-heel" starts closer to the heel.)

At their highest points, blades are about 3" high, give or take, and Ovie's gets there a couple inches from the toe. So looking at the overhead shot, think about how severely this blade is formed, bottom to top; it is, as the description says, "crazy open"--the face "opens up" big time in the vertical plane. Players who want more lift on their forehand shots and who use toe drags will love this blade. But think about using the other side, on the backhand. That severely hooked tip is now a convex surface, off of which you are trying to direct another convex object - the puck - and on that other side, the blade is "crazy closed" to boot, i.e., "hooded" toward the ice. 

On forehands the (concave) hook imparts control on forehands, but has the opposite effect on backhands--especially when you're also fighting physics. Look again at the replay of Lindy missing that gaping cage. He's driving to his left; his blade is pointing even farther left--and he's trying to take the puck back right. If it's on the blade's midpoint or farther out, that task just got much harder. The speed that was just his friend as he slashed through the slot from right to left is now just as quickly working against him, and it gets worse with every foot he drives farther left before releasing the shot. His odds go up if he can release it from nearer the (less-curved) heel, but once the puck gets past that point, with this particular blade, they drop exponentially.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks,and I see. Can't see how they can manage any type of backhand control!! Maybe they need a recurve? haha

Exactly, seems impossible with that blade. But I've saved the best (or in this case worst) for last: Despite all that, he makes the adjustment and nets that puck 99 times out of 100. Speed through the slot-forehand-backhand-shelf is just one of those natural moves guys practice constantly--check it out at the start and end of the next shootaround, when the crease is empty. I can promise you nobody was angrier about that miss than Lindholm.

In other words he's not a goal scorer. He choked on his shot.

Meanwhile Viktor Stalberg scored last night for Ottawa.  Ronnie Hainsey probably texted him and said 'Great to be out that shyza show right brother?' Viktor replied hell yeah.

• Like 1

No real point saying how much this team sucks or how horrible of a situation we are in.  We all already know it.  I'm very disappointed how this season panned out but am also not surprised.   I'm going to put my energy elsewhere for the remainder of the season.  I've totally lossed interest in this team as of late. 

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

No real point saying how much this team sucks or how horrible of a situation we are in.  We all already know it.  I'm very disappointed how this season panned out but am also not surprised.   I'm going to put my energy elsewhere for the remainder of the season.  I've totally lossed interest in this team as of late. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Am I the only one who nearly died laughing over the bill for playoff tickets?

Nope. Just the fact it was on my invoice made me laugh. And cry.

Tacos are back on the menu!

A series of tweets from Michael

10 hours ago

Peters on Lack: "I have a lot of respect for his game and a lot of respect for him as a player."

Peters said he was hoping for this response from Lack. Asked if he'd make more comments like Friday: "I hope not. Not my proudest moment."

Peters: "Life's a funny thing. We flew here yesterday & guess who parked beside me at the airport? We had a great talk & a great walk."

Ryan on Lack: "I thought he really delivered on stepping in for us. I think the whole team had confidence and faith in him.”

Lack, with a big smile: "It’s always way more fun winning, you know?"

Asked Lack about the defense in front of him. He said they were "huge," as always. Added, "Slavin is turning into an All Star here."

16 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm going to put my energy elsewhere for the remainder of the season.

Well that didn't last long. Too bad (for those who don't have you on "ignore"). 

16 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well that didn't last long. Too bad (for those who don't have you on "ignore"). 

Thank you TS.  I am very grateful that you take time out of your busy filled day to keep tabs on me.  It makes me sleep at night knowing you are here on the forums ready to respond at a moments notice!  Because of your warm hearted and truly inspiring posts towards others, it makes me want to linger around here.

Edited by bluedevil58

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Thank you TS.  I am very grateful that you take time out of your busy filled day to keep tabs on me.  It makes me sleep at night knowing you are here on the forums ready to respond at a moments notice!  Because of your warm hearted and truly inspiring posts towards others, it makes me want to linger around here.

Not "others," BD. Just you and RC. :lol:

What happened to "applying your energies elsewhere?"No big sales to close?

It will be interesting to see if the Canes finish strong from here to April. If they do they will have done a great job re-establishing the false hope that they have done in previous seasons giving everyone the chance to say 'but I really do think this upcoming season will be different.' More kool aid just a different color. Canes fortunes rest with ownership not Ronnie or Billy. If RF doesn't spend big ie. $6+m range for one scoring forward with big league stats which is what it will take, and reach outside the team for a goalie with the same high end credentials which will probably take $5+m then it tells me he doesn't have the money to spend that he claims he does. I hope he does because nothing about the teams lineup at the moment says we will do any better in the Metro next season and leapfrog 7 other teams to snag the 8th spot.

Odds on Lindy have a whopping 10 goal season?

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

What? Don't see what you've referred to here, OBXer. Is it anything on PDG?

It was about DiGi. I must of clipped part of the post. No update on the injury until tomorrow is the guess