The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Do I rightly recall that BP has only confirmed PDG is not concussed? Based on the above, it sounds like both McGinn and Zeke might be. Ugh.

I'm not sure about McGinn, top, but looking at Zykov, as he exited the arena into the runway, and the way his arm was hanging, I'd bet it's a 1st degree AC separation, not a concussion.

Edited by KJUNKANE

From ESPN's current power rankings, which has Carolina 28th:

Joe McDonaldESPN Staff Writer Despite Carolina's current record, I like the Hurricanes and believe they will soon be a perennial playoff contender. The roster is loaded with young talent and depth. It also helps that Carolina GM Ron Francis has plenty of cap space to play with moving forward.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, bluedevil58 said:
22 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Joe McDonaldESPN Staff Writer Despite Carolina's current record, I like the Hurricanes and believe they will soon be a perennial playoff contender. The roster is loaded with young talent and depth. It also helps that Carolina GM Ron Francis has plenty of cap space to play with moving forward.

Plenty of cap space and a tightwad owner.

• Like 1

Here's a hypothetical question for y'all. The Checkers apparently are borderline playoff contenders. Call ups are the way teams who are out of playoff contention at this time of year function, and we have started, with Zykov first, now Wallmark. So, my question is this, Do we potentially sacrifice a playoff spot for our AHL team by continuing to call up players to assess their capabilities for next year, or do we forgo their late season debut at this level to allow the Checkers a chance at their playoffs?

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Nice to hear. I'd say Carolina GM Ron Francis has plenty of cap space to find a forward to play.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Here's a hypothetical question for y'all. The Checkers apparently are borderline playoff contenders. Call ups are the way teams who are out of playoff contention at this time of year function, and we have started, with Zykov first, now Wallmark. So, my question is this, Do we potentially sacrifice a playoff spot for our AHL team by continuing to call up players to assess their capabilities for next year, or do we forgo their late season debut at this level to allow the Checkers a chance at their playoffs?

I suspect we'd only do a couple at a time anyways due to issues like waivers and payroll (NHL being so much higher than AHL).  We could swap out a couple of forwards for McGinn and PDG if they're healthy.  And we can always send Murphy back down. Doesn't seem like there's much risk of anyone claiming him off waivers, and he's been successful at the AHL level.

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

...tightwad owner

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Yeah, he totally should have spent big money now, before the rebuild is complete, on too many guys to protect from the Expansion Draft.

9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Yeah, he totally should have spent big money now, before the rebuild is complete, on too many guys to protect from the Expansion Draft.

I am referring to past performances. I hope the rebuild is complete, someday. Blah, blah, blah.

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I am referring to past performances. I hope the rebuild is complete, someday. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't understand. Do you mean his "past performance" of spending "only" $55.4 million on Cam Ward since 2007 (through Cam's current deal)?

Or because he spent "just" the $71.25 million on Eric Staal since 2006?

Or is it the $60 million contract to Jordan? Or Skinner's $34 million plus? Or Rask's $24 million?

Maybe he's not a "tightwad" at all. Maybe - just maybe - Jim Rutherford got Cup-drunk and shot his wad on two contracts with NTCs based on his (inebriated) belief that those two players could only get better, that there was no need to incentivize a couple of comparative babies via still generous but shorter-term deals. And then, when handcuffs alone were not enough, he put on the ankle-irons by giving Jordan an NTC too!

You're right. PK--what a tightwad.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

I'm torn on whether PK is a tight wad or not because the year we won the cup he went all in in acquiring Weight and Reechi.  Then one summer we acquired Staal and signed Semin and it ended up a complete disaster.  While I am very unhappy with the moves this off season or the lack there of.  I am on the fence with PK but I am leaning towards him being a total cheap skate right now because he is prepping the team to sell.  As long as the guy is making  a profit from the team then more power to him.

Edited by bluedevil58

On a different subject I would like Lindholm to experiment with different sticks in the off season. He could of had a hat trick last night with two wide open nets. Maybe something that affords him a more consistent shot.

I find it hard to say this but he's having a career year in assists and soon likely points.

It is absurdly difficult to remember he's only 21 with how long he's been around. My brain wants to say he's 24 and I'll likely forget in a week he's 21 and go back to assuming 23-24. 

• Like 1

The PK discussion here resolves itself in the first 48 hours of free agency in July. My take is if he doesn't drop about 12m on two players then he's not in the game anymore. We have any of 3 slots that need addressing, forward, defense and goal. 12 m should address 2 of the 3.

Ray Ferraro was great last night calling out the Canes for the being the worst goal tending team in the league.  I wonder if Johnny was loving that or hating that.

5 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Ray Ferraro was great last night calling out the Canes for the being the worst goal tending team in the league.  I wonder if Johnny was loving that or hating that.

It was nice to get a different perspective.  And he didn't hold back, did he?

Funny thing is, right after he said that, the Berube/Greiß combo collapsed and made his statement look kind of stupid.  But I got his point.

Edited by wxray1

6 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Funny thing is, right after he said that, the Berube/Greiß combo collapsed and made his statement look kind of stupid.  But I got his point.

I heard that and it was funny how almost immediately after that, the Islanders employed the no-goaltending strategy.  Razor was blunt and I don't think Forslund could argue against it.

I just wondered if Forslund was glad it was being said because neither he nor Tripp could be so blunt about it - and the goaltending issue is not just the goalies fault; team related as well. I would like to hear a John/Tripp telecast with no varnish.

As an aside always glad when Johnny's calling a national game and enjoyed Ray last night as well for his blunt assessments; like where he said the Isles guy wearing 66 is a so-what issue. Good for Ray. I also hate that little squeaky Doc Emerik and Pierre McGuire with his holier than thou comments or Olyck laughing like a school girl whenever his horses are brought up.

I'm curious, and hopeful. Anyone hear much about Bickell? How long can a conditioning stint last, I was thinking 10 games? Is that correct, and is he close to that?

I'm curious, and hopeful. Anyone hear much about Bickell? How long can a conditioning stint last, I was thinking 10 games? Is that correct, and is he close to that?

This is the latest on Bic from checkers.com

Bryan Bickell rounds out Charlotte’s injury report from the weekend, as he exited Thursday’s game in Manitoba and missed the next night’s rematch. But again, his outlook moving forward is optimistic.

“Yes, Bickell is an option this weekend,” said Andersson. “He was practicing today, so he should be fine.”

He has played in 6 games for the Chex

I don't think Bickell is down on a conditioning stint, I think he was waived and cleared waivers.

OK, what this team needs next year (aside from goaltending) is at least one guy with a talent for putting the puck in the net. A goal scorer. A sniper, if you will.

We currently really only have one guy for that: Skinner, though Aho has been doing it in the back half and probably will be next year.

The issue is personified in Elias Lindholm. He is playing great. But despite Tripp talking non stop about his deceptively "great" shot, the guy has only 6 goals. He is racking up assists and making nice plays constantly, but he is on pace for around 8-9 goals for the year, and even playmakers need to put in more than that. Similar but not as stark is Teravainen. TT is on pace for 40 points, which is strong. He also is high skill and makes plays, but only on pace for 16 goals. Stemniak on pace for 15 goals.

Projected over 80 games this season:

29 goals: Skinner

24 goals: Aho

18 goals: Jordan and Rask

16 goals: TT

15 goals: Stempniak

9 goals: Lindholm

Aho has been on a 30 goal pace after the first 17 games or so, and will likely continue that next year.

The rest are more limited in terms of sniping, but have strong games in other areas (possession, defense, playmaking, etc).

Mix in one big time sniper and it will help a lot.

If the guy can do both (playmake and score), even better, but if you have to pick one, get a goal scorer.

Edited by remkin

6 minutes ago, JCLA said:

I don't think Bickell is down on a conditioning stint, I think he was waived and cleared waivers.

Your right. Bickell was placed on waivers and cleared waivers before being assigned to the Checkers.

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK, what this team needs next year (aside from goaltending) is at least one guy with a talent for putting the puck in the net. A goal scorer. A sniper, if you will.

We currently really only have one guy for that: Skinner, though Aho has been doing it in the back half and probably will be next year.

The issue is personified in Elias Lindholm. He is playing great. But despite Tripp talking non stop about his deceptively "great" shot, the guy has only 6 goals. He is racking up assists and making nice plays constantly, but he is on pace for around 8-9 goals for the year, and even playmakers need to put in more than that. Similar but not as stark is Teravainen. TT is on pace for 40 points, which is strong. He also is high skill and makes plays, but only on pace for 16 goals. Stemniak on pace for 15 goals.

Projected over 80 games this season:

29 goals: Skinner

24 goals: Aho

18 goals: Jordan and Rask

16 goals: TT

15 goals: Stempniak

9 goals: Lindholm

Aho has been on a 30 goal pace after the first 17 games or so, and will likely continue that next year.

The rest are more limited in terms of sniping, but have strong games in other areas (possession, defense, playmaking, etc).

Mix in one big time sniper and it will help a lot.

If the guy can do both (playmake and score), even better, but if you have to pick one, get a goal scorer.

The Caps may have 7 20 goal scorers. The Pens will have 5, with a couple of them getting close to 40. We have 2, and the Pens and Caps have better goal tending, too. I think we will need more than one real good offensive player, along with much better goal tending. We might have to part with one of young D, and rely on another young Dman in development, but the good teams have depth scoring, and until the Canes get that, they will be golfing and fishing in mid April. Rebuilding since 2010.

My other post about needing goal scorers kind of leads into this one:

We have a lot of interesting prospects (see the prospects area), but to me the two at the top of the list of forwards are Gauthier and Roy. So I thought I'd check out their progress.

Gauthier was traded this season, which can affect things, but really doesn't seem to have changed his scoring much. This year, he seems to be focusing on passing. His assists per game are way up, while his goals are down a bit. I remain very high on this guy. His goal scoring history is just too established to worry that he's down some this year. He scored an insane number of goals in his previous two junior seasons. Last year was just off the hook. He scored 41 goals in 52 games (.79 goals per game). That would be 60 goals in a 82 game season. A year younger he put up 38 goals. Then he went out and averaged a goal per game in Canada's WJC gold medal run.

But the guy I really want to post about in Nicholas Roy. He just keeps on getting it done. He is currently #4 in ppg in the Q, and really statistically indistinguishable from #3 and #4. He is also #2 in power play goals, by one goal from #1. And he is not just racking up assists. He is scoring goals at .72 goals per game with 36 goals in 50 games. Last year he finished the season at .76 goals per game, with 48 goals in 63 games.

These two guys bring size (both are huge) and skill and can score goals. And both of these guys bring their massive selves to the net.  I don't know if they'll be ready next year or not, but soon.

Edited by remkin