The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I can't see a franchise getting away with that without a players cooperation in this day and age.

The NHL standard for putting a player on the IR is pretty low: The team's own "medical staff" must make the determination. And who signs their checks? So I think it's very easy for a team to "get away" with it. Guy complains, team asks if he took a bump on the head, cause he's sure not thinking straight.

If Eddie mouthed off last night - and I want to be clear that this is sheer speculation on my part - same thing. He's "not feeling well." No mention of "lingering effects of the concussion," or "flu-like symptoms"--something at least somewhat specific. Instead, we went quite literally out of our way to make sure Eddie was not on the premises. It suggests BP didn't want him in the room.

Lots of people were very surprised that Vancouver gave him up, especially for what they did - a THIRD and a SEVENTH round pick - after the guy absolutely carried the team the prior season when Miller went down, and preserved their playoff chances. IF an attitude problem exists, it would go a long way in explaining both that and recent (murky) circumstances here.

51 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Before Cam, we've had our share of vocal netminders who pitched a fit when they didn't get what they wanted or were benched for another.

Right--and we're not tolerating that anymore, would be my point. ******IF****** Eddie expressed any displeasure about not playing while Leights was tearing it up in the AHL, I can easily imagine RF calling Eddie's agent and saying, "We get that he's disappointed, but we need him at least outwardly to be a team-first guy. If we put him on the IR, he can come back in a couple of weeks and bring a new attitude. Or we can put him on waivers, and he could end up anywhere. But we can't have that stuff in the room. Talk it over with your client."

36 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

What if Eddie had a tummy ache...for reals?

edit: random emoticon to make people feel better

:love:

For one thing, I think Peters would ban him from being anywhere near the rest of the team in case it was anything contagious. Oh, wait, I think that's what happened . . .

If anything like this led to the Canes dressing their equipment manager to back up a game in a playoff hunt, then it would be followed by Lack being waived. I still don't see it.

Some how we went from Lack-O taco's to re-fried Eddie...... just makes no sense to pick up the guy, give him a deal, then never really give him a chance... ..just saying!

Glad everyone has good thoughts.  You are very likely correct.

I'll believe it when I see some confidence in Lack.  I have yet to see it from management.  And perhaps that is all this is, along with that devil called concussion.  (And I say that seriously with no sarcasm.)

We DO have to be concerned about pile-driving Cam into the bedrock. There's little discussion about that yet.  Well, I'm getting concerned.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

I'm gonna say Eddie was just sick this time around (if anything is even going on), I can't see the Canes risking putting in their equipment manager if Cam got hurt just because of sour apples. You'd wait until you got Leighton into town to do it.

I just can't imagine if the emergency goalie ever has to go in for any amount of time that it would be a good showing that's fair to the fans.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

We DO have to be concerned about pile-driving Cam into the bedrock. There's little discussion about that yet.  Well, I'm getting concerned.

Count me in on that thought  The schedule it brutal coming up, even with the home games.

8 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I'm gonna say Eddie was just sick this time around (if anything is even going on), I can't see the Canes risking putting in their equipment manager if Cam got hurt just because of sour apples. You'd wait until you got Leighton into town to do it.

I just can't imagine if the emergency goalie ever has to go in for any amount of time that it would be a good showing that's fair to the fans.

If Lack started showing signs of post concussion, or started spewing chunks at 5PM, the Canes had little choice.  The Jorge thing was not something sourced by the Canes.  It came from Eddie due to his sickness that came on at the wrong time.  The Canes management had no choice (although the Everblades are down the road, but they may have been travelling).

It would have been different if Eddie had the issue in the morning.  He didn't, it was late, the team was forced into emergency mode. 

And if it was post concussion, it is a new NHL.  Chances are in the past they prop him up on the bench anyway and take their chances.  No more.

32 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The Canes management had no choice (although the Everblades are down the road, but they may have been travelling).

They played that night in South Carolina.  Maybe they could have gotten Nedel to Florida in time for the game, but that would have left the Blades shorthanded.

I don't see the Lack conspiracy either.  None of us are privy to the internal goings-on, but i'd have to think if his attitude was a problem, down to Vancouver getting rid of him to get away from it, we'd have heard rumblings before now.  I'd have to think dude was sick and the Canes did what they had to do.  Now if the Canes waive him today then it'll e an eyebrow raiser, but i don't see it happening.

Looking at the division and who has what in terms of total overall points.  I can now say with full confidence that if we do not make the playoffs, it's because we were cheap skates this off season and did not acquire a top line forward in order to remain competitive in an extremely good division.  As it stands right now, we are a good team in a very very very good division.  The point totals of the teams who we play most often justifies that statement.  At some point, you can't expect to make the playoffs with the current talent level this team has in the forward department.  Especially when you have teams like the Caps, Rangers, Pens, and now Philly and Columbus in your division.

Edited by bluedevil58

Those fish and shrimp Tacos in Florida can be brutal,especially when the fish comes from Taiwan. Eddie needs to eat lighter before a game.

Image result for fish tacos

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Looking at the division and who has what in terms of total overall points.  I can now say with full confidence that if we do not make the playoffs, it's because we were cheap skates this off season and did not acquire a top line forward in order to remain competitive in an extremely good division.  As it stands right now, we are a good team in a very very very good division.  The point totals of the teams who we play most often justifies that statement.  At some point, you can't expect to make the playoffs with the current talent level this team has in the forward department.  Especially when you have teams like the Caps, Rangers, Pens, and now Philly and Columbus in your division.

I would like to add an elite forward as much as anyone probably. But I would point out a few things.

1. Saturday aside, the current collective is playing at a playoff level without that addition.

2. It's not over yet. There still can be trades ahead of and at the deadline. Francis has powder for a small rental type move if he wants to go there.
3. The big move almost has to involve Faulk for reasons discussed quite a bit already. He is on injured reserve, hard to trade at the moment. We don't know what, if anything he's been offered, but not enough yet.

4. Looking over the list of top scorers, there is a huge trend: The majority were drafted by their team, and most of the rest were traded for. Not a lot of UFAs overall.

So I thought I'd look back at UFA's from this past offseason so far. It has, as it usually is, been a crap shoot. Bear in mind that price and especially length of term matters. One can argue that young guys like Okposo might actually get better as they get used to their team, but they might not and they are being paid huge bucks for long time.

So here is the list by best performing to least UFA's off the top of my head. Feel free anyone to chip a name I forgot in there.

I am ranking by points per game. Ranking for all forwards.

Eric Staal .83 ppg. (68 point pace). Best of the pack from last year. #30 overall. His current deal is currently a steal. (He was not coming back here. This one kind of stings, but we had no choice. This had to happen).

T. Vanek: .81 ppg. Only played 21 games though. Very streaky. Still, good deal at this point. Not sure he would have come to Carolina.

M Lucic: .68 ppg (56 point pace). #78 overall. Never would have come to Carolina. I'm sure that the Oilers are happy with this. Clearly top line production still.

Okposo: .66 (54 point pace) #93 overall. Still helps the team. But off the pace he's being paid for. Time will tell. Never would have come to Carolina.

Vrbata: .65 (53 point pace) #94 overall. Some guys just know how to score. Not much of a defensive player though. Very bad last year.

Versteeg: .63 (52 point pace). #104 overall. Good value. I don't know if there was bad blood here or not.

Neilson: .51 (42 point pace) #150 overall. Underperforming. I think he's still a very good player, and time will tell. Right now they are paying for more.

Stempniak: .50 (41 point pace). #160 overall. This is low second line, and for his money and term this is a good value.

Vesey: .50 (41 points). Great value. But this guy wanted the big lights.

Loui Eriksson. .47 ppg (39 point pace). Way underperforming his big deal. Bad team, but still.

T Brouer: .47 ppg (39 point pace). He's a 35-40 point guy to begin with.

Andrew Ladd: .33 (27 point pace) #259 overall. YIKES. Unless his game comes up fast, this is going to be the worst one.

I look at that list and the name that jumps off positive is Eric. Then streaky Vanek. Then Lucic, who was never an option IMO he wouldn't have come here. Vrbata, maybe, but he trailed WAY off last year so there was a risk there, and not sure he fit in. Okposo wasn't coming here. Went to play with Eichel and company (like Lucic went to McDavid et al). I would absolutely want Okposo right now, not sure about the entirety of that deal though. Versteeg is also a bit hot and cold, and I think he was a part of our losing culture, fair or not. Neilson I like. Not sure if we had a shot at him. Currently he is not quite to the level of his deal though. I'll throw Vesey up here, because he wasn't coming here.

And next is Stempniak, who we got. And while not a marque producer, is putting up top 6 numbers on a very fair deal.

So far Ericksson and Ladd are bullets dodged.

When I look at that, I really don't feel like we did that badly. We got the #8 producing UFA forward, and on a great deal. We also dodged 2 bullets already and possibly more, and have a lot of cap space for future young guns to grow into, and at least one more deal to be made, quite possibly using cap space as part of that deal. Considering that up to 30 teams are after each guy, and guys can go where they want to go, I'm not sure who we missed, that is performing, who would have come here anyways.

Edited by remkin

Old habits are hard to break, and this org has a history of skating Cam out to the crease with little to no concern...night after night.  I know he wants the crease, but somebody has to save him from himself.

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

If Lack started showing signs of post concussion, or started spewing chunks at 5PM, the Canes had little choice.  The Jorge thing was not something sourced by the Canes.  It came from Eddie due to his sickness that came on at the wrong time.  The Canes management had no choice (although the Everblades are down the road, but they may have been travelling).

It would have been different if Eddie had the issue in the morning.  He didn't, it was late, the team was forced into emergency mode. 

And if it was post concussion, it is a new NHL.  Chances are in the past they prop him up on the bench anyway and take their chances.  No more.

And nobody hopes that's "all" this is more than I do, and that indeed it is a new NHL. In fact, I hope it wasn't even that--and was just a "tummy ache." 

None of which diminishes my belief that the "concussion" itself was interesting, at least (how often does the coach not know one of his keepers got dinged?)--nor the (equally) interesting aspect of this occurring at the moment the starter decision was made, prior to the back end of a back-to-back.

As usual rem, a very nice and complete appearing job, but forget trying to be logical to a few. You know the deal, an old saying "The grass is always greener on the other side" altho that's the exact opposite meaning than the saying goes. At any rate, there are those who cannot concede that this team is being managed in a way to achieve perennial success at the cost of immediacy of POSSIBLE (and I emphasize that word as no one knows for sure how any player would have done in our system or with these players) gain from any player ON THE MARKET this past off season.

Top, I'll not argue with you on that contention, but I'll just reflect that concussions are very unpredictable it seems, and beyond that, very poorly understood medically. I'll further suggest that the condition appears as individual as is the player, and just maybe Lack did not recognize the symptoms at 1st. I'm naive about many things, but I truly hope this does not turn out to be a sham, or sour grapes, but feel that Lacko is better that that.

From Practice

Justin Faulk skated Saturday morning in Tampa Bay. Skating with the today in no-contact. Klas Dahlbeck not on the ice.

Elias Lindholm (upper body) and Eddie Lack (illness) also not practicing today. Jorge Alves filling in opposite Ward.

Nevermind about Dahlbeck. He was hiding in a red sweater. Teuvo Teravainen is the missing forward.

Peters says Lack is having more tests today. If unable to go tomorrow, Canes will call up a goalie.

Peters says Lindholm is "close" and could go through morning skate Tuesday. Says Faulk has chance to play by end of week.

Teravainen also missed practice. Peters said he was sick and "possibly contagious," so kept away from team today.

Peters/ reporter chat after practice

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

Teravainen also missed practice. Peters said he was sick and "possibly contagious," so kept away from team today.

Caught what Lack had, perhaps?