The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Then we can always hope Francis finds some trade to move up in the draft post lottery. Of course the hope for that is far outweighed by the fact that it doesn't actually happen very often, and is harder to pull off than it seems.

But while that probably won't happen, and we'll probably end up picking around 10-13, there are at least two D men that will go higher, and there are good forwards at least down to #15. May or may not be a game breaker, but should still get a good player.

Edited by remkin

Ronnie has upcoming draft picks out the go-go as well as a stable of draft picks from last season and before either in Charlotte or the Jr's now. If the UFA market is lean this season he is going to have to trade to improve. Along with some 2017 draft picks and/or some of our players just drafted over the last couple seasons but not in the bigs and/or some big leaguers along the the likes of a Skinner or Pesce is what he will have to give up to get a 1C or a Keeper. I hope we're not all sputtering when this happens because we will assuredly bee giving up someone on the Canes that we will not want to see go.  I sure hope he can just buy someone off the UFA list so it doesn't all hinge on trades. That said the only untouchables for me are Slavin/Aho.

I can see it now.  Reason for not making the playoffs next season:  A LEAN UFA market.  Wait until this up coming off season.  Calling it here first.  I'm not confident we will get what we need this off season and that is at least: a legit 1 C and a starting goalie.  That is a very tall order.  We will just have to manage our expectations.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Then we can always hope Francis finds some trade to move up in the draft post lottery.

I'd be happy with him going in either direction... making a trade to move up in the draft, or making a trade to move down - because that would likely mean he's getting a roster player who he thinks will fill one of our major needs.  And while some of the posters here think Francis is a total doofus who doesn't know what we need, i expect he's well aware what we need and also expect he'll be trying his damnedest to fill one of those needs.

Picking 10-13 in the draft means, IMO, that he wasn't able to get what we need so back to 'best player available'.

Um, Kjun and Slapshot, in responding to my post on Tuesday, please note I am NOT bd58. Your point about free agents wanting to come here is well taken. But PK will also have to open his wallet if we trade for a top player under contract such as Duchene or Landeskog. Not to split hairs, but our payroll 3 years ago included Eric and Cam at the end of back loaded contracts, Semin, probably the end of paying off Pitkanen, and other veterans we were in process of moving out. I'm not saying I'm sure PK won't open the purse strings some, I'm saying we don't know if he will. I'm pretty sure our payroll this year is near the bottom of the league. And he is by his own statements a lame duck owner. Since ticket prices went up again, I hope he will spend money on a player or 2, no matter how acquired. 

Since talk is naturally drifting to drafting, I have started a thread to discuss all things draft related.

Please try to put draft talk here:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23895-nhl-draft-2017-here-we-are-again/

I have included some resource links and will add some more as we go.

There is also a consensus draft prospect ranking 1-31.

I remain convinced that at least half those picks, a couple of top D prospects, and a vet or two are going away in exchange for the pieces we need. Until reality proves me wrong, I'll be doing this...

:lalalai:

I can see us moving any of Jordan, Skinner, Faulk, Dahlbeck, Hanifin, Bean, and McKeown, and tossing in any of Murphy, Nordy, Nesty, PDG, McGinn, or Brown. If I'm management I want to keep Skinner, but his NTC kicks in next year, and if somebody wants him badly enough that we can't refuse the return, I could see RF doing the deal. Same rationale with Jordan, who is contracted with an NTC through 2022. I think Bean and Hanifin are the same, guys we don't want to give up, but again, you've gotta give to get.

As far as prospects I think we're unwilling to part with, Fleury, b/c he should be ready next year--and if we move a current roster D we're gonna need him. Neither would I move any of Roy, Kouk, Gauthier, Wallmark or Zykov.  

I believe we are all-in on European-style skill and Canadian-style toughness. The game has been faster and much cleaner in Europe forever, and if we can add the kind of toughness a Landeskog, Gauthier, and Zykov can bring, it will open up space for the Ahos, TTs, Lindholms, Rasks, and (hopefully) Duchenes. If Skinner can be kept as well, I think we become extremely hard to play against.

All of that being said, a bonafide #1 keeper is still the top priority IMO. Teams get you to the playoffs. Keepers win Cups.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I remain convinced that at least half those picks, a couple of top D prospects, and a vet or two are going away in exchange for the pieces we need. Until reality proves me wrong, I'll be doing this...

:lalalai:

I can see us moving any of Jordan, Skinner, Faulk, Dahlbeck, Hanifin, Bean, and McKeown, and tossing in any of Murphy, Nordy, Nesty, PDG, McGinn, or Brown. If I'm management I want to keep Skinner, but his NTC kicks in next year, and if somebody wants him badly enough that we can't refuse the return, I could see RF doing the deal. Same rationale with Jordan, who is contracted with an NTC through 2022. I think Bean and Hanifin are the same, guys we don't want to give up, but again, you've gotta give to get.

As far as prospects I think we're unwilling to part with, Fleury, b/c he should be ready next year--and if we move a current roster D we're gonna need him. Neither would I move any of Roy, Kouk, Gauthier, Wallmark or Zykov.  

I believe we are all-in on European-style skill and Canadian-style toughness. The game has been faster and much cleaner in Europe forever, and if we can add the kind of toughness a Landeskog, Gauthier, and Zykov can bring, it will open up space for the Ahos, TTs, Lindholms, Rasks, and (hopefully) Duchenes. If Skinner can be kept as well, I think we become extremely hard to play against.

All of that being said, a bonafide #1 keeper is still the top priority IMO. Teams get you to the playoffs. Keepers win Cups.

I hope it happens I really do.  But I am managing my expectations and I am fully expecting Francis to acquire 2 bargain top end 3rd liner to try and fill the void.  Or another TT type of player in the hopes that he pans out and puts 60 on the board.

I would not give up on TT putting up 60 at some point, (not predicting it, but he's on pace for 42 this year, and still 22 yo, and has serious skills) and I would be glad for Francis to make another acquisition like TT, that is a guy who can produce now, but has bigger upside at almost no cost. However, that cannot be the only move.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Fire David Marcoux :couch:

Do you think he nose what's going on with Lack and Peters? But seriously I'd miss the nose jokes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

He's still here? With all the problems we have in goal I thought we didn't have a goalie coach. So yes....... be gone.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Do you think he nose what's going on with Lack and Peters? But seriously I'd miss the nose jokes.

Hasn't been quite so much to joke about this year - i can't remember the last time Tripp talked to him on the air.  Must say i'm utterly unimpressed with his work, though.  Sure, Ward's had a hot run each of the past couple seasons, but then he's always had one of those each season.  And Marcoux definitely didn't get the best out of Lack, based on what Lack accomplished in Vancouver.  All told, i don't think Marcoux's coaching has been a bright spot for us.

2 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Maybe he's great, or a nice guy, but I agree a change is necessary.  Then give the new person something to work with.

What a refreshing game last night... Solid goaltending.. clutch scoring in 3rd.. a serious pushback when wild tried to get physical to start 3rd... where has this been?.. really glad to see it..

• Like 1

If we could only count 2 of those magic GIH beans as wins we would be 4 out .Games remaining: 14 (7 home, 7 away). Could we make up 4 points in 12 games? Crazier things have been done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

If we could only count 2 of those magic GIH beans as wins we would be 4 out .Games remaining: 14 (7 home, 7 away). Could we make up 4 points in 12 games? Crazier things have been done. 

Man, these emotional swings worse than a teenager's hormones.. first hoping for losses because no way can get back to playoff's..and get a top pick.. now with others tanking and canes playing better, back to hoping for wins as closer to playoffs then top 3 pick.. what a crazy last 6 weeks..and doubt the swings have stopped :)

We go 12 and 2 = 94points. 

Toronto goes 8-5

isles  go         8-4

We have a 3 way tie for wild card. 

Or, we go 10 and 4 and Tor and Isles both tank, we could get in.  Desperation equals a glimmer of hope from a miracle.

Edited by danimal-ch1

I admire anyone's optimism but a team that is 2 games over .500 for a 68 game sample size is not likely to go 10 games over .500 for a 14 game sample size.

Good for the optimists or even the hopefuls but I'll stick to looking for hints our youth is growing up like Lindholm all of a sudden getting some attitude back into his game. 

• Like 1