The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

We go 12 and 2 = 94points. 

Toronto goes 8-5

isles  go         8-4

We have a 3 way tie for wild card. 

Or, we go 10 and 4 and Tor and Isles both tank, we could get in.  Desperation equals a glimmer of hope from a miracle.

14 hours ago, winger52 said:

Well the game is over. Lack played a great game and just kept stoning Eric. Probably won't see Eddie till next training camp.

I criticized Peters on not starting Lack sooner. I have to give him credit on this. He took the hit in the press conference, and said he's starting Eddie next game. Will it keep up? Who knows? But for now, I appreciate a coach who can adjust his outlook, even against his biases, when the evidence favors that.

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

We go 12 and 2 = 94points. 

Toronto goes 8-5

isles  go         8-4

We have a 3 way tie for wild card. 

Or, we go 10 and 4 and Tor and Isles both tank, we could get in.  Desperation equals a glimmer of hope from a miracle.

I have an Island for you.

But seriously, even last night's win we were outchanced like 17 -7 or something.

The team is playing better, but does not have the horses for a 12 and 2 run.

Winning is more fun though and hope keeps them driving until there is no mathematical hope.

I guess this is a bad moment to bring up draft order.

47 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I admire anyone's optimism but a team that is 2 games over .500 for a 68 game sample size is not likely to go 10 games over .500 for a 14 game sample size.

Then again, we're overdue for a winning streak.

43 minutes ago, remkin said:

But seriously, even last night's win we were outchanced like 17 -7 or something.

The team is playing better, but does not have the horses for a 12 and 2 run.

Winning is more fun though and hope keeps them driving until there is no mathematical hope.

I know, I know, sigh.....

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, bluedevil58 said:

I can see it now.  Reason for not making the playoffs next season:  A LEAN UFA market.  Wait until this up coming off season.  Calling it here first.  I'm not confident we will get what we need this off season and that is at least: a legit 1 C and a starting goalie.  That is a very tall order.  We will just have to manage our expectations.

Do you consider Duchene a legit 1C?  I still think their is a good chance of that happening.  I consider him the closest thing we are going to be able to find that's available in anyway.  I think he's young enough and talented enough to be a consistent 55-65point guy.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Unless you look at it as we're playing ourselves into the Jake Oettinger draft position.

Edited by JCLA

27 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Do you consider Duchene a legit 1C?  I still think their is a good chance of that happening.  I consider him the closest thing we are going to be able to find that's available in anyway.  I think he's young enough and talented enough to be a consistent 55-65point guy.

no I do not and if he was truly available we would have acquired him already.   We are not going to unload assets when he only has 2 years left.  He is a top tier 2 C at best.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I should of bought a slice of property years ago when it was cheap. The value will be rising in the coming years.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

no I do not and if he was truly available we would have acquired him already.   We are not going to unload assets when he only has 2 years left.  He is a top tier 2 C at best.

How many 1C's are there in the league?  I was thinking about this and of course Pittsburgh has 2 of them, but in general how many elite centers are there?  Not that many really.

If you make the criteria 1 point per game, there are 6 right now.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=skatersummary&pos=C&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=pointsPerGame

There are 20 of them at .8 points per game or better.

Our top is JStaal at #56 in point per game at .62.  Which lots say he is a solid 2C but this says otherwise.  He's a high end 3C or a very low end 2C.

Toronto has 5 centers in the top 33 in points per game. 

Duchene is #64.  And everyone went gaga over trying to get him.

We have to shoot for better.  We at least need a top 30 center.

I get too depressed looking at this stuff.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hag65 said:

How many 1C's are there in the league?  I was thinking about this and of course Pittsburgh has 2 of them,

I'm far from a Malkin fan, but that's probably because he's a Penguin.  Think Francis could hoodwink JR into giving him up?  He could dangle Jordan and a couple of JR's other golden boys.  Think Murphy's still big with JR?  We could even throw in a 6th-rounder.  Hey, it's JR.  Let's do it.

Next...

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Wow, 55-70points a year is not a #1 center?  . RF wasn't giving up what Sakic was asking for by trade dead line.  Sakic's price will come down around draft time when he gets a little more desparate to make a move and I have a feeling RF is the only GM that has what Sakic wants and needs so we will see how that one plays out.  Duchene's numbers have fallen off the second half of this season but I blame that on being around a major losing culture and everyone talking about him getting traded for half a season.  The kid's good and has many more 60plus point seasons in him.  I would consider Skinner--Duchene--Aho  a legit NHL first line.  something we haven't had in a long time.  I think he would be a healthy start to improving our offense and top 6.

Lindholm listed on NHL.com's "Fantasy Players to Watch" list.

"His 25 primary assists leads the Hurricanes and ranks #10 in the NHL."

It's funny because I was wondering last night how many of his assists were primary assists but I thought I would never find that stat. Life is strange sometimes.

Not bad considering he missed 10 games, plays on a low scoring team, and now he's playing with some bite to his game.

• Like 2

The above is meant to inject a bit of humor, not to be mean spirited.  On the positive side, 92 points is what's currently projected to gain the last WC spot.  On the negative side, we're 2 games over hockey .500 and we'd need to pass 2 teams that are 7 games over and one that's 8 over. And we've only got 1 magic bean on the team that's 8 over (Toronto).  Sure we have a chance, but it's a "So you're telling me there's a chance" kind of chance. :pray:

Edited by LakeLivin

So I've been a STH since the Stanley Cup win. I split them with two other guys. This year both of those guys are out, and so, likely I'll have to drop. 

People always see things through the lens of their circumstance, but I have to think that the fatigue of chronic losing, lack of star power, and empty buildings vs. being drowned out by opposition fans, combined with price hikes has to be getting close to unsustainable.

If nothing else Francis needs to do something to excite what little fan base is left.  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, hag65 said:

Duchene is #64.  And everyone went gaga over trying to get him.

I won't pretend that I looked at his ranking, but my main concern with Duchene all along has been his size and his rep for not playing much D. The latter could quickly make him persona non grata in BP's system.

Which opens onto a larger point: BP has said all along that he wants to roll four lines that present a real scoring threat. There's been little emphasis on ranking Cs. If a guy consistently wins more than half of his face-offs and can play BP's system, I honestly think that's all he's worried about, because the system is designed to create the chances. If we're looking for two elite forwards, I could totally see the focus being on wingers alone. The addition of two more flankers who play the kind of physical game that Lindholm has been bringing lately would very likely do more for this team's total goals than another toothpick C and only one winger.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
lack of caffeine

Here's a risk/reward idea...make a run at Jeff Carter. 5 years left at about 5.2 mil/year. You probably get 2 or 3 quality years and then it might get tough for the last bit. That time would allow for further development of Wallmark, Roy, etc. and you get a legit scorer at the pivot. It would take picks and maybe a guy like DiGuisseppi,  McGinn, etc. (they are aging on the wings). 

Rem, sorry to hear about having to drop season tickets. I had a partial plan (24 then 12 then 11) since 2006-7, but dropped them this year for personal reasons. The part of what you said that hits home with me are the ticket price increases. The most significant increase came when Waddell arrived, as the rebuild began and the record hit bottom. To raise prices again this year after another likely playoff free year and games played to half empty buildings  strikes me as completely out of touch with reality. Especially considering the money lost on parking and concessions by not getting 4,000-5,000 more fans to the game, these increases are nonsense and poor business judgment. I know all the arguments for not paying for a high end player in free agency or acquired through trade at this stage of the rebuild, but somehow I think fans would more easily tolerate ticket price increases if they saw the team spending more freely for needed talent.

Our last 6 games: 4-0-2, 10 out of 12 points, with regulation wins over the Rags, Isles, Wild and Preds.  Can anyone splain these Canes to me? Lucy?

edit: 5 of those 6 games were at home . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Our last 6 games: 4-0-2, 10 out of 12 points, with regulation wins over the Rags, Isles, Wild and Preds.  Can anyone splain these Canes to me? Lucy?

edit: 5 of those 6 games were at home . . .

Pressure is off.  Now we can play. 

SAME OLD STUFF for the last few years.

• Like 2

Another Nice solid Win!

Good puck pressure, solid defense and Goaltending- with the exception of rask's boneheaded slash that almost ruined night at end... Even got an empty netter. Well now the Rubber meets the road( pun intended)- we find out this week if the canes can really have a run in them, or was just a nice blip on radar.. with 4 road games, the canes tonight can potentially jump philly and florida in standings and tamp later in week. Trying to be realistic, but last few nights sure have felt good.

Edited by canes2017

9 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Rem, sorry to hear about having to drop season tickets. I had a partial plan (24 then 12 then 11) since 2006-7, but dropped them this year for personal reasons. The part of what you said that hits home with me are the ticket price increases. The most significant increase came when Waddell arrived, as the rebuild began and the record hit bottom. To raise prices again this year after another likely playoff free year and games played to half empty buildings  strikes me as completely out of touch with reality. Especially considering the money lost on parking and concessions by not getting 4,000-5,000 more fans to the game, these increases are nonsense and poor business judgment. I know all the arguments for not paying for a high end player in free agency or acquired through trade at this stage of the rebuild, but somehow I think fans would more easily tolerate ticket price increases if they saw the team spending more freely for needed talent.

Yep- It's really hard to justify any increase when team fails to make playoffs again and has one, if not the lowest, payroll in league. IMO, the fans have done their part by sticking with the team- and the team and management IMO have been lacking for last few years to take the next step

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Appreciate the sentiment BD58. I've been sharing STH for about 8 years now, and it is kind of sad to see them go. Even sadder is that I'm a bit melancholy but resigned to it. The main thing that bugs me is losing my priority. It's a funny thing, because really, my priority has gotten me very little in actual value, but as it builds you just hate to see it go.

The fact is, that until this team turns around, I'll be able to go much cheaper by haggling with scalpers etc.

But I sense that this fan base is worn to a nub. Attendance is worse than bad. Even on this board, years of chronic under-performance is having a toll, and we are some of the most committed fans around.

Francis is much smarter than me, and I trust him, and maybe this young team will surprise next year just on the backs of Aho, TT, Hanifin, and others improving, but I can't help but think this fan base could use a shot in the arm. A splash, as he put it last year (referring to what he told us he would not do).

The thing is, even if this team does surprise, in order to have an immediate affect on attendance we'd have to come out of the box on fire if it is the same team. Put another way, if Francis does not bring in a known star forward, even a decent start will not change attendance. This fan base will take months of being near the top to start coming back as word gets out that the Canes are different this year.

But maybe, a couple of big offseason moves: big trade for forward, big trade to move up the draft board could stimulate interest so any winning early could affect attendance.

Anyway, If I ever run into Francis again and he asked me again, I'd say, "try to make a splash if you can". We need a splash.

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Appreciate the sentiment BD58. I've been sharing STH for about 8 years now, and it is kind of sad to see them go. Even sadder is that I'm a bit melancholy but resigned to it. The main thing that bugs me is losing my priority. It's a funny thing, because really, my priority has gotten me very little in actual value, but as it builds you just hate to see it go.

The fact is, that until this team turns around, I'll be able to go much cheaper by haggling with scalpers etc.

But I sense that this fan base is worn to a nub. Attendance is worse than bad. Even on this board, years of chronic under-performance is having a toll, and we are some of the most committed fans around.

Francis is much smarter than me, and I trust him, and maybe this young team will surprise next year just on the backs of Aho, TT, Hanifin, and others improving, but I can't help but think this fan base could use a shot in the arm. A splash, as he put it last year (referring to what he told us he would not do).

The thing is, even if this team does surprise, in order to have an immediate affect on attendance we'd have to come out of the box on fire if it is the same team. Put another way, if Francis does not bring in a known star forward, even a decent start will not change attendance. This fan base will take months of being near the top to start coming back as word gets out that the Canes are different this year.

But maybe, a couple of big offseason moves: big trade for forward, big trade to move up the draft board could stimulate interest so any winning early could affect attendance.

Anyway, If I ever run into Francis again and he asked me again, I'd say, "try to make a splash if you can". We need a slash.

I think he's available. I've heard that he and Axl are not getting along again.

Sorry, just couldn't pass on that.