The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Boy, last night sure encapsulated this season! and a great parable..

1. First the canes fall behind 2-0 and depressed after hype of last week( the hype of preseason followed by bad start and losing of October)

2. A real nice comeback to suck you back in, heck even getting physical with philly after they took liberties with cam( the home 14 game win streak to get within 1 pt of playoffs in January)

3. 3 minutes left and Aho takes a stupid penalty for a hand pass and philly scores on the power play with less than 1 min left( The subsequent losing streak before and after ASG.. followed by the Canes idiotic decision to raise ticket prices, despite the losing)

4. Overtime- schenn just physically abuses turbo going to net and the rebound from shot produces game winner for philly( canes start winning to suck you back in, followed by the heartbreaking loss of last night to give a nice punch in gut)

22 hours ago, remkin said:

Appreciate the sentiment BD58. I've been sharing STH for about 8 years now, and it is kind of sad to see them go. Even sadder is that I'm a bit melancholy but resigned to it. The main thing that bugs me is losing my priority. It's a funny thing, because really, my priority has gotten me very little in actual value, but as it builds you just hate to see it go.

Funny you say this Rem (and not in a ha-ha way). Your sentiment is mine exactly. Giving up my priority since 04/05 lockout season is just psychological, nothing more. A good example is I could have been sitting in Sect 122 about half way up for $68 at the Preds game last Sat but was in my usual perch in Sect 123 about 7 rows up for $81.  Secondary market way cheaper. The food and Bev credit and $3 off parking just not enough to make me commit again. I can go to more games in better seats buying on secondary market. My 20% Eye discount doesn't matter anymore as I have bought so little in the last two seasons...I pay to see wins on the ice, not the other stuff.

Edited by raleighcaniac

18 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Funny you say this Rem (and not in a ha-ha way). Your sentiment is mine exactly. Giving up my priority since 04/05 lockout season is just psychological, nothing more. A good example is I could have been sitting in Sect 122 about half way up for $68 at the Preds game last Sat but was in my usual perch in Sect 123 about 7 rows up for $81.  Secondary market way cheaper. The food and Bev credit and $3 off parking just not enough to make me commit again. I can go to more games in better seats buying on secondary market. My 20% Eye discount doesn't matter anymore as I have bought so little in the last two seasons...I pay to see wins on the ice, not the other stuff.

I had second row full STH tickets in 102 for years and couldn't justify the insane prices any longer. The secondary market is the way to go and I use three different sites for purchases. Thanks to another board member I now use a secondary provider who does not charge any administrative charges.

I will personally be shocked if this teams still in Carolina if this rebuild doesn't wrap up soon despite how long a normal rebuild is supposed to last. I feel like we're going to deal with all the crap years and some other city is going to reap a cup off of it like Colorado did.

Sensitive subject but I mean it's like Waddell is trying to prove hockey wont work in Carolina by sabotaging attendance.

• Like 1

I think next year is make or break. Even with our arena becoming even more empty, if they can put everything together, or at least enough to make the post-season then the fans will come. If they fall on their faces yet again next year, that's when I'm worried the franchise is gone.

Edited by SuckaPunchd
  • Like 1

No clue LL, I'd assume it is Brind'Amour, since technically 3 on 3 is special teams. But I don't know.

I also think, if we manage to acquire a few decent players, fans might be a bit more patient with the team, making the start less crucial for getting butts in seats.

You guys are sounding like the season is over.  Did you not listen to John, Tripp and Mike?  Come on!  They are still in it!

(Must have been a heck of a threatening memo from management.)

Okay, Rem and everyone else, I AM NOT BD58. Can someone tell me how to change my screen name? Not that there is anything wrong w/being BD58, but not all blue devils think alike, except maybe when wondering where their basketball team was Sunday night. And to wander off topic a bit, if attendance really falls any further, sustaining this team in Raleigh is going to be challenging if not impossible. I said when PK hired Don Waddell he was the angel of death, and ticket price increases coming off THIS season just reinforces my belief. Who in our brain trust sat at the table and decided that was a good idea or was going to grow attendance for a team now spending it's 8th year in the wilderness?

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I know Brind'Amour coaches the PP; anyone know who has primary responsibility for 3-on-3?

Perhaps that's a question to ask the coaching staff. It may of been overlooked in pre-season.

22 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I will personally be shocked if this teams still in Carolina if this rebuild doesn't wrap up soon despite how long a normal rebuild is supposed to last. I feel like we're going to deal with all the crap years and some other city is going to reap a cup off of it like Colorado did.

Sensitive subject but I mean it's like Waddell is trying to prove hockey wont work in Carolina by sabotaging attendance.

I think he also proved hockey won't work in Atlanta, which was much harder to do.At one point I was sitting in the stands when they announced that if you bought season tickets to the Thrashers you received season tickets to the Hawks. With a deal like that I would have split the cost with a Hawks fan.

I think STH tickets increased a lot last summer because people were excited about the direction and the young D.  PK and RF know the only way they go up this summer is with excitement of acquiring a couple big scoring names and a team captain and maybe a big name goal tender.  Lets not count our chickens before the eggs hatch and stuff, it may be an exciting summer with a lot of optimism going into the season.  Everyone else around the league seems to think highly of our future with the pieces we already have, we all know what we need to complete the rebuild.  I think it happens this summer and we see a whole new exciting team on the ice next year.  If it doesn't happen than they have given up on the fan base.  I don't believe that is the case.  Its Raleigh, win and the arena gets packed.

Who doesn't hope it gets better because it surely can't get much worse.  The rink is and has been empty for years and now Waddel has the temerity to raise prices on a team who is in their 8th straight year of failing to qualify for the playoffs in a low bar league where more than half the teams get in? He is just driving people to the secondary markets to purchase their tickets at half the cost a STH pays. He is playing the remaining loyal and good people STH base for fools. Thats unfortunate.   RF can play the role of calm GM saying everything is on track but if he doesn't do something in the off season to excite the fan base with a Grade A free agent acquisition or Grade A stop the presses trade then he is doing this market and dwindling fan base a dis-service. 

You can't fire a team so when will RF and then BP get a hard performance review if it ain't happening by 12-14 games into next season; one of you will be gone? Start off slow and you generally miss the playoffs. So how long do you wait into next season if the team is flailing with a 400 or 500 record? I have been a supporter of BP since his arrival and he is also well regarded by Hockey Canada but I think its fair to ask the question: Is he really getting the most out his team at this point? Has RF given him enough talent to mold into a playoff level team?

Edited by raleighcaniac

For one, BP needs to be in camp from the start!  I'd like to see him have no extra-curricular this year.  I'm not "scapegoating BP" here, but I do think his dallying around in the stupid tournament hurt this team badly.

I cannot remember which coach it was, but I heard an interview on XM and the coach emphasized how jacked he was to start camp and get his "young players" together and with his system.  That team is currently playoff bound after missing the previous year.  I need to take notes.  Anyway, it struck me how our team did just the opposite.

As for Waddell and company.  I nearly sent a note to my ticket rep as he pinged me this morning.  He was encouraging me to re-up to avoid the parking rate increase.  I'm thinking, "*EDIT*?"  So, I wrote a note that said: "You want me to re-up for a defective product that is getting a price increase?  Really?"  But I dumped my email figuring the poor schmuck doesn't need my grief.  It still felt good to write that sentence. :)

My part in this discussion is mainly to hope and plead that Francis makes a splash type of move. Bring some excitement and some sign that next year is not another "build" year in the sense that missing the playoffs is still and acceptable part of next year's plan.

I think the team needs two things it has not had in years.

1. An offseason move that gets people excited.

2. A good start to the season.

Together that could build attendance.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

For one, BP needs to be in camp from the start!  I'd like to see him have no extra-curricular this year.  I'm not "scapegoating BP" here, but I do think his dallying around in the stupid tournament hurt this team badly.

You're beating a dead horse but when you're done, will you hand me the stick?  This.  I've seen speculation that his doing the tournament last summer was a good thing because he was working with other Canadian players and perhaps making enough impact on them that perhaps they'd want to play for him here - and that is a solid point.  That said, it needs to be a one-year investment that we reap the benefits now, when we need some of those players to come here.  He does it again, to me that's telling me Team Canada is his priority.  Let's bring it home this summer, perhaps get a couple of those players he worked with last summer, have a solid camp, and enter the season with no excuses (beyond the State Fair, but meh).  It's time.

Late last season I pointed out that goal differential is actually the best stat for playoff prediction.

https://www.nhl.com/standings/wildcard

All 16 teams with positive goal differential are in playoff slots, all 14 with negative are not.

Just outscore the opponents, will ya?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Late last season I pointed out that goal differential is actually the best stat for playoff prediction.

https://www.nhl.com/standings/wildcard

All 16 teams with positive goal differential are in playoff slots, all 14 with negative are not.

Just outscore the opponents, will ya?

1ltoob.jpg

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

So parking is going up next year as well? They might as well put up stop signs at the entrances to PNC. When I became enamored with hockey during the Cup season, affordability was one of the attractions to the games. You really cannot enjoy hockey at home like you can being in the barn. This year I dropped my season tickets for reasons unrelated to team performance. The few games I attended with my kid, tickets on the secondary market in the corners upstairs, plus parking plus a couple of sodas and a sandwich and I was spending $75 per game. For a working stiff, that's not very affordable. If I paid the walk up rate for the same seats at the ticket office, I would have spent north of $100 per game. I know a lot of you spend a lot more for your tickets, but the fact that the Canes had options affordable for everyone has been lost over the past several years.

9 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

So parking is going up next year as well? 

Apparently.  This is the first I heard of it.  Here is the exact wording from my ticket rep:

• Lock in last year’s parking rates – if you planned on adding pre-paid discounted parking with your tickets, you will lock in this season’s parking rates if you renew before next Friday. After March 30th, all parking is subject to new 17-18 rates.

Thanks Don!

Edited by wxray1

THIN PLAYOFF HOPES

You only need to go up a few posts to see my sarchasm about playoff hopes, but admittedly, they are alive.  They are about where the 2008 Caps were, although even the Caps had a better record.  We know what happened then.  It took not only a nearly perfect record for the Caps, but a nearly unperfect record for the Canes, and it happened.

What strikes me about these thin hopes is this: the Canes really did plan a brutal schedule at the wrong times.  Now they are hitting the easier teams.  It also helps to have situations like Coach Rowe putting in a cold goalie in his first start of the year.  Maybe it was a favor to old friends, because he's not going to survive that job.  Mark my words.  But I digress.

So now they are playing a "winable" schedule.  And doing well!  The question is, will CBJ, PIT and MIN have stuff to play for?  Looks like they will as the new playoff format really rewards getting overall #1.  So I don't expect those teams to put in their backups next week.  

What about Detroit?  Ah, a trap!  Much like the Canes, the Red Wings are playing loose with the pressure off and winning.  I see DET as being trap games for this impossible dream.  I think they'd be very happy to crush the souls of the Canes.  And why not?  They'll have a "HOME CROWD" behind them for both games.  (Expect it to be extra brutal since it is spring break, you can expect a lot of travelers, not just 1 game homers.)

Overall, if the Canes pull it off, it would be historical.  I disagree with BP's assessment that 90 gets you in.  What is he putting in that water anyway?