The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

18 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I read on another site that Tavares may be pondering his future on NYI team,vs chances for playoffs? Wonder if he's at that point, if our team's mounting successes and outlook could be an attraction? I personally would love to see Tavares in the Sightless Eye?

He is signed for only one more year (17/18) then UFA.

If he is really leaving then they would trade him before they lose him outright.

I can't imagine it though, and certainly not to the Canes.  However he would certainly fit the bill of what we want/need.

Edit:  Looked some more... if he went anywhere it would probably be Toronto, but he shows all signs of wanting to stay with the Isle.  If he doesn't sign an extension during the summer, then maybe there is a story.

Edited by hag65

Landeskog.

Plays like we need, already wears the C, and if any player can tell Skins (and therefore everybody else) when he's dogging it, it'd be his former roommate and longtime bud.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I read on another site that Tavares may be pondering his future on NYI team,vs chances for playoffs? Wonder if he's at that point, if our team's mounting successes and outlook could be an attraction? I personally would love to see Tavares in the Sightless Eye?

Of course it would have to be a trade and immediate extension, and PK would have to open the bank door, but holy cow. You want to talk about sudden turnaround and suddenly solving nearly everything in one move? The only thing would be, what do you have to give up besides money?

This is a 70 point guy who was over a ppg for an entire season with 86 freaking points three years ago. He's 26. He's already a Captain. He's an extremely legit 1C. He has super star status. He would sell tickets immediately. It would be huge national NHL news.

Tavares-Jordan-Rask, Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, Teuravainen, Stempniak as our top 8? Seriously, go sign Darling and start contending. 

Tavares has 27 goals, he has 61 points already. In a very conservative estimate he is directly responsible for at least 42 goals. He would essentially replace our 9th forward by pushing people down. That is a delta of 32 net more team goals this year. That would have put this team in the playoffs right now. But imagine him providing leadership and cohesion to next year's team as our guys improve?

He probably isn't interested, and it would be a weird deal and we'd probably have to pay him at least 7 years plus his last year.

But if there were any way? Even if he got a huge, long contract, it would be worth it.

Now where did I leave that lottery ticket, I might have won that thing.

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, remkin said:

He probably isn't interested,

If he can tolerate the rat's nest that was the Nassau County Coliseum, he'd probably tolerate anything. But I agree with hag that the Isles would never do the deal. I doubt he winds up in Toronto for the same reason.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

I think this is a real possibility. I haven't always been kind to Lindy but I could see him growing into a leadership role in the mode of a Ron Francis captaincy. Let us not forget the emergence of  Slavin  in a leadership role.

I don't want to see Skinner as captain. Give him an A, point him to the ice and let him score goals.  He already has to carry the teams in scoring lets not muck it up with added responsibility.  (tongue in cheek...sort off)

I don't think Lindy is there yet. Many of the same reasons you have regarding Skinner. Lindy is not ready for the extra pressure currently. I would have no problem with Slavin getting the C next year if there were no new pieces added to the team that would not fit the need.. I would hope that the off season brings us someone with leadership skills and someone who can lead by example.

If the answer isn't obvious then stay with multiple As.  Imo, it's not that we're missing the letter, we're currently missing the person to wear it.  Pinning a C on the wrong person could be counterproductive in a variety of different ways.

Which is not to say that some of the current Canes won't grow into it, or maybe even ready to wear it now.  But only if it's obvious, and you'd need to be in the locker room to know that for sure.

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Actually, right now Toronto has a better record than Boston. One point back, but with 2 magic beans in hand.  Boston losses may prove to be even more important than Toronto losses.  Next Bruins game: home against TB.  No loser point, please.

Both Toronto and the Islanders won tonight.  $^(&((#!  Anyway, Boston's the wildcard now.

7 hours ago, AtlCaniac60 said:

So with us holding the Tiebreaker over the Bruins are we rooting for them to beat Tampa or vice versa? 

We'd need to catch both but Boston is further ahead so I'm rooting for TB.  Plus, first tiebreaker is number of regulation & OT wins, and both are ahead of us there.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We'd need to catch both but Boston is further ahead so I'm rooting for TB.  Plus, first tiebreaker is number of regulation & OT wins, and both are ahead of us there.

Well put. Basically we have to beat out Boston by a single point to grab that last WC spot.

No worries, if we lose in Montreal tonight there are still a few more lines and permutations to be drawn in the sand which means tonights game really isn't that important. Lets wait and get down to the absolute last gasp win or you're out game and then it will get interesting to see if this team has the moxy to win when they must, not when there is no pressure like tonight.

3 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

No worries, if we lose in Montreal tonight there are still a few more lines and permutations to be drawn in the sand which means tonights game really isn't that important. Lets wait and get down to the absolute last gasp win or you're out game and then it will get interesting to see if this team has the moxy to win when they must, not when there is no pressure like tonight.

I disagree with this.  Gotta make those magic beans count.  When you can only lose 1 game out of the remaining 11, you can't start with a loss.

10 hours ago, AtlCaniac60 said:

So with us holding the Tiebreaker over the Bruins are we rooting for them to beat Tampa or vice versa? 

Either one is fine with me, but...

I totally get the pragmatism re tiebreakers etc., but in a late run like this, it's all about jumping the team immediately ahead of you. We're not in a position to catch Boston yet, but catching TBL tonight would keep the Bruins in our sights.

Whichever team loses tonight at the Gaaaaaden will suffer its fourth straight loss. That would loom large for either one, but Tampa was so good just prior to this downturn that if they lose and we win, the combination of losing four straight and us catching them would hurt them psychologically. Stamkos is still out (barring a surprise return), and suddenly we're right there with them--and they play in Detroit tomorrow night.

If the stars align and we are able to both catch TBL and keep pace with Boston - via a win against the Habs in their barn - the emotional boost in our room would be pretty big. We'd also gain ground on the idle Isles, who play Pittsburgh tomorrow night, and Boston (in Brooklyn) while we're playing Jersey on Saturday.

Edited by top-shelf-1

10 hours ago, AtlCaniac60 said:

You can make an argument either way on which to root against, but the most important thing to root for is a regulation outcome. We don't need the loser of this game picking up a point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I disagree with this.  Gotta make those magic beans count.  When you can only lose 1 game out of the remaining 11, you can't start with a loss.

Quit screwing up my ignore list function.

43 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

You can make an argument either way on which to root against, but the most important thing to root for is a regulation outcome. We don't need the loser of this game picking up a point.

This.  And same thing Saturday when the Islanders play the Bruins.  I hate loser points.

• Like 1

So Eddie fell and hit his head on the boards in practice for the first concussion, then gets another one doing the soccer pre-game ritual. What the flippin hell.

Both sound like stupid ways to wind up with a concussion and if he was goofing off in scenario #1 then it would be extremely telling why BP can't stand Lack.

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Francis talks with Adam and Joe including thoughts on goaltending  WRAL SPORTS

Thanks for the link OBXer. Overall pretty good stuff. Francis plays it so close to the vest, you have to read between the lines a bit, but some clear things:

Fleury has "taken huge steps over the season, and is playing "really good hockey". McKeown was probably ready for the NHL at the start of camp. Both guys could play and could be part of next year.

Goaltending: Played it right down the middle: "something we'll have to take a look at" and "dig a little deeper in the offseason".  I'll add to what Legend just said. Francis basically said that Lack's injury forced them to overplay Cam and he tired because of it. Sounds like the organization not only blames Eddie for his play and his injuries, but for Cam's bad games. Cam has been inconsistent way before Eddie was here. I am beginning to wonder if Cam is a bit like Eric. Not a bad player, but we just can't fix things until they're gone because of their indirect affect on the position in the organization. I really wish we could just get a bit of a look at Eddie now, but I can't help but think the fix is in, and there is something wrong in the coach/goalie relationship that just can't be fixed. If so, then the next guy can come in and try to deal with alternating with Cam.

Bottom line, last year Francis indicated that he was mostly happy with the tandem and thought that each had shown good stretches. This time a move is likely. And it sure seems like Eddie is odd man out (nothing in the interview said that, just everything else).

Also said no goalie in the system is ready. (read, even close to ready).

Lindholm: playing simply great in all aspects except goals. I think the goals will start to come, and when they do, this is a 65 point guy.

Likes PDG and McGinn's physicality and think both have another level of offense to bring.

Likes Wallmark. Likes Zykov.

Edited by remkin

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Francis basically said that Lack's injury forced them to overplay Cam and he tired because of it. Sounds like the organization not only blames Eddie for his play and his injuries, but for Cam's bad games. Cam has been inconsistent way before Eddie was here. I am beginning to wonder if Cam is a bit like Eric.

x2. Cam is a great person, and I don't think he has ever dogged it a la Eric (altho, for crying out loud, he should have learned by now to seal the post every time the puck is at least five feet above and anywhere below the goal line). And it is absolutely true that he was overplayed from the time he won the Cup, but you know what? He won a Cup. Of course you're making him you're go-to, and once Nutty Former GM signed him to that ridiculous deal, what option did you have?

But RF blaming Eddie when he (RF) could have just bit the bullet and put him on waivers (nobody's claiming a keeper with Eddie's record coming off two concussions) and brought Leights up for the rest of the year seems overdone. I said after his second concussion that I thought Eddie had played his last game this year, and frankly, I should have been right. Now maybe RF had intel that someone would grab Eddie off waivers--but if he and BP were this disgusted with him anyway, isn't that maybe okay?

I don't necessarily think we have to get out from Cam's shadow to be successful. I do think he's a streaky keeper who needs the focus of pressure situations to play his best--which IMO is exactly what you want in a #2, for all the reasons he proved so valuable in 2006. But Cam has never made the transition to everyday play, and if you're going to contend every year, you need a guy who has.

I just get the feeling that while Eric was the Golden Boy and was given they keys to the Kingdom with not only a massive deal, and a NTC, but both of those also given to his brother, Cam is more of a favorite because he's beloved. Don't get me wrong, he has had some really amazing stretches recently. But think of all the bad play that Cam has mixed in there over the years to arrive at a career save percentage of .909. Why can no one ever get the crease from him? Why does one coach after another ride him?

Right now average in the NHL for #1's is .917. Cam is .904 (tied for #40).  Cam has beaten that .917 mark in ONE season (2009-2010, arguably his only above average regular season). I get that playing goal for the Canes has not always been easy, but the last couple of years our defense has been at least near average.

Yet, everyone in the organization, right down to our main man John Forslund, just keep telling us that this is the guy. Cam is, by all accounts a great guy, and his hold on the organization is very different from Eric's, but I am thinking more and more that it is still there, and to fix the problem we need to move on.

Cam might go to Vegas and play out of his mind, like Eric has in Minnesota, but that's fine. We need that net open for competition. We need to stop leaning on Cam, clear the board, and find a better alternative.

Me? I bring in Darling and keep Lack. But no way does it look like that last part is happening.

Wouldn't it be interesting to put Ward out there for the expansion draft. Think Vegas would take him?

Edited by remkin